• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No GC controller support on Wii's... now in America and Australia!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I wouldn't say Nintendo is trying to "kill" competitive Brawl, I'd say it's just a simple revision to cut costs for developing towards the Wii-U that Nintendo will need, I'm sure if they were truying to "kill" it then you could say in theory that Smash 4 wouldn't be competitive whatsoever due to that logic, which I find highly unlikely.

:phone:

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Only the stupid customers will buy it. Why get that when you can get the other bundle that includes 2 Wii Remotes, MKW and GameCube support?

Interestingly there will have to be a firmwire change, I wonder what'll be.

escro

Smash Ace
but when this model comes in, will it be likely that the older model will still be on the shelf?
my guess is that once the older models in stock run out, they'll never be reordered again.

btw has nintendo said anything about discontinuing the older model? thats what im most worried about.
like they discontinued the older non white gamecube controllers

escro

Smash Ace
seems like they will have no choice, since the article said that nintendo will be "phasing out" the old wii's. so only the new models will be available..

M@v

Subarashii!
Do I have to go out and buy a new wii now before its too late -_-

Mine will last me until wii u, but its smash 4 takes its time, it will probably kick the bucket before then.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Or it's getting you ready for smash 4 and it's lack of gamecube controller support

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I don't care about GC support

I want a wired controller of any kind for smash4. give me a USB controller nintendo :(

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
While that's fine and dandy, I don't think the WiiU will be programmed to receive wired inputs, from a GC controller nonetheless.

computers are different
Well, the Wii U is technically a computer. :awesome:

THere's probably going to be a third-party add-on to the Wii U that will resemble a GameCube controller of some sort. If there's not, oh well, but I am actually interested in seeing how effectively the tablet works for Sm4sh.

I'm disappointed that it's single-touch only though, because I had dreams of playing Smash Minority Report-style. :p

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Nintendo would make a lot of money of a USB controller, hope they can see that >.>

or at least make new wii motes with a USB connection...

escro

Smash Ace
would it be ok if we bought the old model wii's from other countries that dont/wont get the newer model?
just homebrew and region unlock and all good?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They are still going to sell the old model wii's alongside the new ones. They even cost the same price

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
This is the most ******** thing Nintendo could do to their Wii. About as bad as Sony cutting out the PS2 backwards compatibility in newer builds of the PS3.

Especially when there's many Wii games out that support the GameCube controller and even encourage it. Good thing I got my old Wii here. Launch from 2006 bb.

[EDIT]

/reads what Psycho said

Still counterproductive. "So. Wanna buy our new version that has no ports for GameCube? Or the one with more for the same price?"

Uhhhh...

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
This comes as not much of a surprise, as it does indeed seem Nintendo is trying to shift towards the Wii U and what not. That said, the vast majority of Smashers should have a Wii by now and not even care about this news. What we should care about is the Wii U and Smash 4, and how we'll be able to play it. Assuming they don't make a wireless GC controller for the Wii U, we may have to go with the Classic controller. I hear some people actually play well with it (Vermanubis is a good example of this). That, or perhaps the gameplay might be too different and require a different control scheme to play with, though this seems a bit unlikely to me.

escro

Smash Ace
the article says that nintendo will phase out the old model and replace it with the new one, so even if they do continue to sell them both alongside each other, it wont be for long, only until old wii stock runs out.

Ultra_(MQJ3)

Smash Cadet
NNID
WALI78
3DS FC
3368-2165-5005
Everyone's posts about the future of Nintendo, particularly about Smash, are apprehensive. I'm in the same boat. The GC controller is obviously the go-to controller for smash, but if the Wii-U doesn't support it, we just gotta take it and adjust. It'll be easier said than done sadly. Also, someone pointed out using the classic controller. If it comes down to worst case scenario, that's what I'll be doing.

As for the new Wii models losing everything GC, I just see that as a major regression. Less bang for your buck right there. Bad deal for sure.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Well whats the deal with Smash 4 and WiiU Controllers?? We Can always play Project:M in same of Brawl/SMash 4 :troll:

escro

Smash Ace
so. it is now the 27th of october and my wii is still non existant.
at this rate ill be getting one by early november, hopefully earlier though.
so if anyone could shed any light on current stocks of older wii's in australian stores that would be greatly appreciated.
im stuck at home studying and can only leave the house to go to my school to do my hsc exams. school is too close for me to stop by at a game store on the way or whatever. sucks.

so yeah, need some outside info lol

Top Bottom