• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

no dojo updates

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
"During the development of Sakurai's last Smash Bros. game, 2008's Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii, this is the type of insight we'd hear from the designer through the Super Smash Bros. Dojo website. Sakurai said we should expect to hear less from him during the development of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. The developer promises "daily visual updates" from his desk will be posted to Miiverse and on the game's official website.
"I'm not going to talk as much," he said."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I know people are gonna spew the ''privilege not a right" thing about this, but I honestly think while this has it's benefits and it's downsides.

This is ultimately the wrong move in promoting the game. I don't care if he's just giving us information about an item or a stage or a veteran character. Things like that build hype. A simple picture of something we've seen before is not.

That and it doesn't take much energy for him to at least spruce up the pictures as well. It wouldn't hurt to have one or two lines to accompany them.

When you're hyping a game you're suppose to give stuff that is gonna make people's eyes pop and go ''I want that." I don't see this current method of attack doing that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I figure it might be for the better. If you add up how much time it took for Sakurai to write every little Dojo update combined you'd probably get a result of a couple of hours which could have been spend in making the game better instead of just promoting it. While the pictures thus far have been dissapointing and nothing new, it might be for the better that the Dojo updates are taking a chill.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I assume they will update the dojo with new information or characters when they released via Nintendo Direct. Other than that, we are getting screenshots for now. They aren't Dojo updates but still updates regardless. Plus, after Brawl was released, we had a temporary site for almost a year. It's possible that they will launch a new site in the near future.

littlewolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
littlewolf128
Yeah its a shame that we probably won't get daily updates like last time around, but honestly by the time I bought the game I kinda knew everything about it. Not just the characters but every item, every move, everything. I honestly would be ecstatic if we just got monthly updates on progress and either a character or item or something. Only once a month though. Just to keep buzz but still to leave some mystery to it.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Losing the Dojo is bad for hype, but giving every newcomer a personalized trailer is good for hype. It probably balances out in the end.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think the Dojo will pick up more this Fall/Winter. I just don't think the game is along enough in the development process to get many updates.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I hope the Dojo never shows up. I'm a weak man and I know I will spoil the entire game like I did with Brawl. I would love to receive a few surprises this time around. One pic a day is good.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be too troubled by this. I think Sakurai is still primarily in development mode and isn't even thinking much about generating hype at the moment. I think E3 was just a nice little nugget he tossed to fans to hold them over until he is more in a mind set of generating hype for a game that is getting close-ish to being done. I think something similiar is true of these images. He knows they aren't much, but they don't require much effort on his part and they are something.

That said, I think this does confirm something that isn't surprising. Daily updates will not return. Generating that much content, or more accurately deciding on what features to tell us about when, on a daily basis took up quite a bit of his time and put undue stress on him since it appears that Sakurai does not take these decisions lightly . That said when the time comes he is still going to want to generate hype for the game. It is his baby and it is in his nature (as he has proven three times before) to want to get us excited about it.

Will he have periodic updates of any kind? I don't know. Maybe they'll be sporadic. Or maybe they will be periodic but not as frequent as daily. The point is he will probably do something, and we'll just have to be patient until that time. After all, I'm pretty sure he is aware that imagines that don't reveal new information don't generate hype.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm okay with that. Though there should be a few big updates as well.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I hope the Dojo never shows up. I'm a weak man and I know I will spoil the entire game like I did with Brawl. I would love to receive a few surprises this time around. One pic a day is good.
You know what i actually really like that idea and i respect you for that RealTalk.

After all no one knowing sheet is the same as everyone knowing everything right?
Plus above all not knowing or knowing doesnt change sheet anyway! Hehehe RealTalk.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about the rest of you, but my biggest concern is for Sakurai's HEALTH.
We haven't heard anything regarding those arm troubles he was having some time earlier, whether or not he's fully recovered from that, so I say if he needs to take it slow on updates or something to help speed that process, then he should do it.
We need him fresh for this. He's the one our hopes are falling upon to make this game a huge success.

Fares612

Smash Apprentice
Disappointing but understandable. We knew basically everything about SSBB when it was released, and he probably knows that as well.
I think it will start picking up later in the year though. Maybe around the next time they hold a big announcement / presentation for the game?

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
The people who check the DOJO regularly are the people who are pretty much guaranteed to buy the game. They're not losing any of their audience by not doing the DOJO thing.

I'd rather have a few large updates along the way than have the entire game spoiled for me over the course of the entire wait for the game. I didn't get to discover anything for myself last time.

And I know people will say "then don't check the DOJO, idiot." But come on. Seriously. What hardcore fan of Smash isn't going to check the DOJO if it's there? -_-

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I could be okay with this. Though I still have bit grudge if we'd truly be left waiting for one more year with no info after two with no info as well. But who knows, HOW JUST MUCH we'll be discovering.

Think about it. Wii U holding so much disk size could be used for who knows what all kinds of wowing aspects that might be entirely new to the series and so on. 4 times what Brawl did. 4 TIMES.

I think it'd be thrilling to wait until we'll experience SSB4 ourselves. The best way? NOTHING SHOULD BE TOLD. Nothing. Or else we'll just set high expectations like we had in our big hype machine that was Brawl Dojo!!!

So yeah. I mean we'll be getting PKMN X & Y soon too and so on. We'll definitely forget about SSB for some while incase nothing's new shown. Don't think it'll do that bad for the game's publicity, but best (and ONLY) thing we could get is character reveals. Maybe half of the actual roster. Nothing else'll be told though, except through the screenshots and stages. And maybe directs.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Monthly ten-minute Directs would be better.
I agree. This is also a possibility. The point is, he didn't say there would be no information, just that we would be hearing from him less, and honestly he gave us information continually last time, so it wouldn't take much to have less information. You're right though. They seem to really like their directs so they may well go that route.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I can see monthly directs being about updates of the work he's doing, possibly about gameplay and modes, with a final character reveal at the end. One character revealed per month, and by the release of the game half of the roster could easily still be secret. I hope they take this approach, SMASHDIRECT could become a pretty big thing and generate a lot of hype.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I can see monthly directs being about updates of the work he's doing, possibly about gameplay and modes, with a final character reveal at the end. One character revealed per month, and by the release of the game half of the roster could easily still be secret. I hope they take this approach, SMASHDIRECT could become a pretty big thing and generate a lot of hype.
What about veterans. Could they be the reveal? Or would they just be in with the other news?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I absolutely agree with this although I could live if they decided to do it every two or even three months with more content if there are bigger gaps between them.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I see some veterans being revamped, so why not. For example it's time to give Ganondorf a proper moveset, or change Falco/Wolf/Luigi even more.
A trailer that focused on the major changes that will happen to some of the starting roster would be cool. Of the potential returning cast, I think Wario and Toon Link are going to get some of the more dramatic changes this time around.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The Dojo spoiled too much of the game imo. However, the leaks spoiled even more. I found out about Ness, Lucario, Jiggs, R.O.B. and Wolf through leaked screenshots. So I'd rather Sakurai be conservative. If he puts up too much information, it will not only oversaturate our hype, but it will increase the chance that crucial info gets leaked like before.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Sense of discovery be damned, I want to know the entire roster before the game comes out.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Theres going to be new character updates every once and a while though right?
Since the announcement trailer was lackluster, I expected them to do the characters through the dojo at least.

I'm fine with it not updating as much though and just for important stuff, most of the daily Brawl updates were small and unnecessary.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
im starting to think that alot of the reaosn why the delay for brawl was so ahrd was cause we already knew so much. The less we know the better. Im just annoyed these pics hes posting are irrevellant and uninteresting

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
I'm very disappointed because checking the dojo every day after school with my friend for a year brings back a lot of great memories. It's a damn shame, and even if it took a hundred hours to write all of the Dojo updates, that's only two weeks of development time. I sure as hell would wait another two weeks for SSB4 if it meant getting the dojo back.

1371361286765.png

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
But...but checking the Dojo every day was my Jam....i'm going to miss it.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
To the people saying the dojo spoiled too much, have something to look forward to every morning for months, or have a few days of rapid discovery? If it were a choice, I would choose the former any day. Granted not all of those updates (read most) were worthy of excitement but we were excited anyway, because they had the potential to be amazing, and sometimes they were. It's not unlike opening a booster pack every morning to a tcg named smash brothers.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
To the people saying the dojo spoiled too much, have something to look forward to every morning for months, or have a few days of rapid discovery? If it were a choice, I would choose the former any day. Granted not all of those updates (read most) were worthy of excitement but we were excited anyway, because they had the potential to be amazing, and sometimes they were. It's not unlike opening a booster pack every morning to a tcg named smash brothers.

Good post. =)

If Sakurai wanted to he could just reveal the whole roster and spoil all of that goodness. That's boring though. He rather let us ponder and let our imaginations grow wild as we anticipate this game. Its a great marketing / game design technique. It also build up so much hype. I'm sure every Smash fan is excited about the upcoming roster. Patience sucks....we just have to get over it.

max.

Smash Rookie
I remember staying up late just for a Brawl Dojo update. Waking up to the Sonic reveal was such a great moment.

Anyway, this won't kill hype or sales at all. Everyone who has a Wii U and likes Smash Bros. is gonna buy this game. Sales will only see a decline if Wii U hardware sales never really pick up.

Top Bottom