• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No cutscenes in Adventure Mode (RUMOR)

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
From what I've heard, the Japanese direct stated that the opening of the World of Light trailer isn't a cutscene in the game, just made for the trailer.
If that the case, that I am seriously disappointed with this, I really thought we could have gotten something amazing, but we didn't.

Honestly, for me personally, this doesn't feel like the ultimate smash brothers game.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
I have an awful feeling that this may be the case, that it might pull a Mario Tennis Aces where Story Mode has like 1 or 2 good cutscenes and then just... exists. I really hope I'm wrong, but Sakurai outright stating this won't be like SSE and that it's more for fun is really concerning.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Guys...cutscenes are an insane resource drain. There will not be a deluge of beautifully animated cutscenes in Super Smash Bros Ultimate like there were in Brawl. Why would you even assume this?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Guys...cutscenes are an insane resource drain. There will not be a deluge of beautifully animated cutscenes in Super Smash Bros Ultimate like there were in Brawl. Why would you even assume this?
Because it's not like it was less of a resource drain when Brawl was being developed.

Also, custscenes can be outsourced when they aren't made in the game engine, which this one clearly wasn't. So it ultimately comes down to what Nintendo's budget was and what the priorities for Spirits were. It's not unreasonable at all to hope the main single player mode would have cutscenes, since that part was universally loved in Brawl, even if SSE's gameplay itself was hit or miss.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Because it's not like it was less of a resource drain when Brawl was being developed.

Also, custscenes can be outsourced when they aren't made in the game engine, which this one clearly wasn't. So it ultimately comes down to what Nintendo's budget was and what the priorities for Spirits were. It's not unreasonable at all to hope the main single player mode would have cutscenes, since that part was universally loved in Brawl, even if SSE's gameplay itself was hit or miss.
Not only is outsourcing expensive, but the story itself was just as hit-or-miss as the gameplay. We were never going to get a truly satisfying story because that's simply not Sakurai's specialty.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that doesn't help the actual gameplay itself is rightfully de-prioritized. It tickles me that Brawl's cutscenes are only good for a few rewatches while Melee is still somehow alive after all this time, with only a single intro cutscene to its name.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not only is outsourcing expensive, but the story itself was just as hit-or-miss as the gameplay. We were never going to get a truly satisfying story because that's simply not Sakurai's specialty.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that doesn't help the actual gameplay itself is rightfully de-prioritized. It tickles me that Brawl's cutscenes are only good for a few rewatches while Melee is still somehow alive after all this time, with only a single intro cutscene to its name.
Agree to disagree on the rewatchability. I rewatched all the Brawl cutscenes this week in a buildup for whatever Spirits would be, and they're still charming as all hell. The pace went a little too slowly here and there, but it really was fantastic on the whole.

But whether or not these cutscenes are worth the increase in budget is subjective.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's important to understand that making cutscenes would take up a lot of development time, and uses up a good amount of storage space on a game disc or game card. The making of cutscenes during the Subspace Emissary's development was likely one of the reasons why Brawl's balancing was so atrocious.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
We were never going to get a truly satisfying story because that's simply not Sakurai's specialty.
Sakurai made Kid Icarus Uprising...the man can definitely tell a satisfying story (even if that means no more story for years)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Sakurai admitted with brawl the cutscenes tools a drain on what they could do and implement. I think those trailer stuff they made will be in the game likely, but I wouldn’t expect as much as brawl, but I listed wanted an adventure mode again so i’ll happily take it.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't care about cut scenes, I would have loved to have platform-style levels themed after Nintendo stages like what was seen in Melee but I guess we won't get that.

I am not sure if we got an Adventure Mode or just a fancy version of the Events Mode.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Actual platforming stages so World of Light isn't too much like Spirits Mode
>An intro and ending CGI cutscene
>Rest of the cutscenes are just simple text box cutscenes but have lots of character interaction and the writing for the characters is good
>Making it so more characters survive at the start or at least letting the player decide on their starter, allowing for even more character interactions and allowing players to play as their favourite characters sooner as opposed to waiting until possibly near the end for their main to show up

If they did these things it would have been a far better offering without taking a huge hit on the budget.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I don't care about cut scenes, I would have loved to have platform-style levels themed after Nintendo stages like what was seen in Melee but I guess we won't get that.

I am not sure if we got an Adventure Mode or just a fancy version of the Events Mode.
Maybe it's both... could you imagine if the penultimate mission before the fight with Galeem was a Race to the Finish-style platforming rush where you had to dodge its lasers while approaching it? That would be awesome.

1FC0

Smash Lord
>Making it so more characters survive at the start or at least letting the player decide on their starter, allowing for even more character interactions and allowing players to play as their favourite characters sooner as opposed to waiting until possibly near the end for their main to show up
Sukarai also made the Kirby series. In addition Kirby was the only survivor in the trailer. Pretty sure we are going to start with Kirby again. Too bad since I find Kirby really lame. How did Kirby with his lame ass star survive while Falco —who is the top pilot of the top flying team of the Starfox universe— with his futuristic ultra-fast spaceship failed to escape? Even Sonic was too slow but Daddy Sakurai's favorite survived on his stupid lame magic star.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Awww, I really hoping for cutscenes. But I get it if they’retok much to do. I wouldn’t have complained about immense storage space usage, but I guess you can only fit so much into one game.

HotelSoapy!

Smash Apprentice
I wanted another SSE, Spirits and World of Light just arent something I care for. I also thought the Grinch leak was true. Soooo I ended up very dissapointed by the direct.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
How did Kirby with his lame *** star survive while Falco —who is the top pilot of the top flying team of the Starfox universe— with his futuristic ultra-fast spaceship failed to escape?
Because the Warp star, well, warped. It's used by Kirby for fast, interstellar travel. Falco's Arwing is designed for skirmishes in a local airspace, hence why they travel to different worlds in the Great Fox.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
I don't care if it doesn't have cutscenes...but if that cutscene from the direct isn't at the start of that game mode then I'll be a bit miffed.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
There was nothing shown that made World of Light seem different than Spirits mode. Letting players choose who they start with would have been better than locking the player base behind one character.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Because the Warp star, well, warped. It's used by Kirby for fast, interstellar travel. Falco's Arwing is designed for skirmishes in a local airspace, hence why they travel to different worlds in the Great Fox.
It is true that the Great Fox has more space and thus is better for long trips but that does not change that an Arwing should be faster than a small star with a pink ball sitting on it.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Honestly, I wouldn't be too broken up about a lack of cutscenes... however the one thing that I am a bit worried about is that there doesnt seem to be any platforming levels is Ultimate's world of light.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I'm not only 100% fine with this, I'm happy about it. The cutscenes in SSE weren't that interesting, and putting less resources into flashy cutscenes means more resources into interesting gameplay, and it means the mode isn't paded with something to get your mind off the boring game. It means the mode needs to have substance in other ways (ie it needs to be fun)

I don't get people that like cutscens. They add nothing to the actual game. If u want cutscenes beg nintendo to make a smash bros movie or something.

Ideally, I hope WOL has challenges like break the targets and board the platforms, as well as Melee adventure mode esq challenges, and battles with characters, as well as boss battles.

I'd also like to see metroidvania elements where you can only get to certain areas when you've unlocked certain characters. That'd be lit af.

It would be nice to see some new challenges too. Smash bros can really introduce a lot of fun things using its mechanics, and by crafting things based on the characters being used in each area.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm fine with no cut scenes, Smash really doesn't need a story. If anything, I hope it is actually fun and the scenarios aren't too repetitive.

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
I’m fine with no cutscenes, but I’m extremely disappointed by the fact that there’s no platforming levels like melee and the subspace emissary. They also could’ve had dialogue boxes for characters to talk to each other atleast...

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I agree that a lack of platforming levels removes a lot of what separates Adventure Mode from the rest of Smash's modes. Still, we're talking levels about 4-8 stages big that need tons of resources to develop, yet will be seen/experienced significantly fewer times than the playable stages themselves. It's definitely not a light investment.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
This is severely disappointing. That cutscene was so beautiful and I loved the voice acting. I get that they take a lot of development time though.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I’m fine with no cutscenes, but I’m extremely disappointed by the fact that there’s no platforming levels like melee and the subspace emissary. They also could’ve had dialogue boxes for characters to talk to each other atleast...
Is there no platforming?

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
Is there no platforming?
I’m about 99% sure there isn’t as the didn’t show any in the trailer and I believe in the japanese direct Sakurai said “battles only” as in those event type of battles. So yeah, no side scrolling, fighting various enemies and platforming

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm fine without cutscenes, just like I'm fine without trophies. I'm happy that Adventure Mode appears to be similar to Subspace Emissary, even though it's not exactly that.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They said this before back in 4.

They can either do a bunch of CGI cutscenes in the story mode, or they can do a bunch of CGI cutscenes for character reveal trailers.

They've opted for the latter again.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It is true that the Great Fox has more space and thus is better for long trips but that does not change that an Arwing should be faster than a small star with a pink ball sitting on it.
The Warp Star has the capacity to warp jump. Arwings don't have that ability.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I’m about 99% sure there isn’t as the didn’t show any in the trailer and I believe in the japanese direct Sakurai said “battles only” as in those event type of battles. So yeah, no side scrolling, fighting various enemies and platforming
Mother ffffffff
That stinks so bad.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A shame if its true because what was the point of that cinematic cutscene for World of Light if they're not gonna add it to begin with?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This was disconfirmed by GameXPlain. They got a tour of the menu, and in the movies section it says you can watch "Adventure mode cutscenes."

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Smash Wii U also let you watch the character reveal trailers. Expect those in there as well.

Top Bottom