• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I think the Mother/EarthBound trilogy remakes should have voice acting, and they should get Lani Minella as Lucas and Claus.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey, I was wondering... How do you guys pronounce Ninten? I've always said it with the accent on the first syllable, but I just watched a video where somebody put the accent on the last one. That made me curious about if I've been saying it wrong this whole time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the Mother/EarthBound trilogy remakes should have voice acting, and they should get Lani Minella as Lucas and Claus.
Well, I don't think voice acting would be a good idea for a Mother trilogy remake, but, if they did do voice acting, I think Lani Minella would be the best one for it, so I agree with you on that haha.

Hey, I was wondering... How do you guys pronounce Ninten? I've always said it with the accent on the first syllable, but I just watched a video where somebody put the accent on the last one. That made me curious about if I've been saying it wrong this whole time.
I also put the accent on the first syllable, but for fun sometimes I say it with the accent on the second syllable lol. But I don't think there's a "wrong" way to say it.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
It was on a Twitch stream where I was playing some Smash with some people, and a regular from there who has been there longer than I have told the streamer about it.
There was no MOTHER / Earthbound related content in the fight when that guy said that.
I did not ask before I was the one currently playing and I was excited about the rumor so I went all "NINTEN HYPE" on the chat. All I know is that he said there was a rumor of an Earthbound character being added as DLC, they never stated when or anything.
So yeah, this rumor is very vague since I didn't really ask more information about it, sorry.

Also, my friend JUST finished Mother 1 and they REALLY liked it! They actually felt very bad for George, Maria and Giegue. Not to mention EVE, who seems to be their favorite character.
Overall they found the whole story really epic, original and awesome and I knew they were having fun and wanting to play with them telling me that they wanted to keep playing today. My friend is one of the people who get REALLY inside the game, so nearly at the end in Giegue's basement and everything being red (cuz it was with the 25th anniversary patch, which I like) they were really intimidated by the whole thing.
Since they finished, I asked if they wanted to play MOTHER 2 / Earthbound or if they wanted me to play it (as I only played it once and remember like... 20% of the game). So soon I'll start to play Earthbound, my friend is also really looking forward to it, as they really wanna see more Earthbound stuff.

Also, I once searched "Mother 30th anniversary" and I ended up finding this simple 3D animation someone made to celebrate! I really liked it so I thought I would share it with you guys as well!
What was the streamer? Kinda interested in watching this myself heh.

Also I do have a friend that just stared getting into the Mother games. (I gave her roms on a flashdrive lulz) She played Mother 1 and completely fell in love with it. I was actually surprised at how much she liked it and is is super pumped to play EB!

I just pronounced it like Nintendo but without the "do" if that makes any sense.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Even if we don't get an HD trilogy, or a localized Mother 3, I just hope Nintendo acknowledges that anniversary (I have no doubt in my mind Itoi will). I think the Mother series is one of the most special franchises Nintendo owns, and if they do decide to release some sort of new content, it would be great to introduce the series to a new generation on the Switch.

My views about the franchise and its future has changed overtime. As I've mentioned countless times, I used to be a regular at Starmen.Net. Unfortunately, that site is currently standing on its last legs. The community there had such a passion for the series, pumping out countless petitions, art, writing, music, fan-games, etc. Starmen.Net is what gave the EarthBound fanbase its reputation of being very passionate and vocal, especially with the site's tagline "Do Not Underestimate Us". It's where Toby Fox created the EarthBound Halloween Hack and went on to create Undertale, and where Itoi learned about the fandom and dubbed us the heartwarming name of "Starmen Club".

Starmen.Net, being the core of all things Mother, has taught me so much about the series and gave me the viewpoints I had on it. As you all probably know, the folks over at that site tried time and time again to catch Nintendo's attention and get the series the recognition it deserves. More often than not, these attempts failed, resulting in no acknowledgement from Nintendo, or basically just a "we acknowledge you exist but that doesn't mean we're going to appease your requests". Because of this, the vast majority of users on the site began to adopt very pessimistic views about the series' future. Fans who were around since the 90's began to accept the fate that nothing special would ever come of the franchise, and that we would continue to exist in a world where a Mother 3 localization just won't happen, let alone an HD trilogy. If you were to bring up the idea of the trilogy there, you'd probably get laughed at (not that they're mean folks, but they'd certainly find that idea a bit out there). The pessimistic views of the series I once held originated from Starmen.Net.

However, this site, SmashBoards, has open up my mind to a whole new perspective. Instead of just talked to EarthBound fans at Starmen, I was now talking to fans in a different place. Fans who have had their own histories with the series, histories that largely exclude Starmen.Net (I believe). Because of this, I feel like a lot of the folks here retain a strong sense of optimism even though the the most veteran of fans have given up. That's just the way things are; I'd say out of the whole EarthBound fandom, 90% of folks have given up on the possibility of new content. But things are a lot different here. The optimism many of you share about this series has ignited a fire inside of me, specifically, and while I still don't fully expect something big and grand from Nintendo this year, my mind has largely opened up to the possibility. I enjoy talking to each of you about the franchise, and it's so nice being able to share my experiences about a franchise so near and dear to me when not too many people have ever played it. It makes everything feel all the more special.

Regardless of what happens this year in terms of Mother content, I look forward to celebrating the series' 30th birthday with you all. I will accept whatever outcome may occur because at the end of the day, I will still have a blast celebrating with you all even if Nintendo decides not to.

D

Deleted member

Even if we don't get an HD trilogy, or a localized Mother 3, I just hope Nintendo acknowledges that anniversary (I have no doubt in my mind Itoi will). I think the Mother series is one of the most special franchises Nintendo owns, and if they do decide to release some sort of new content, it would be great to introduce the series to a new generation on the Switch.

My views about the franchise and its future has changed overtime. As I've mentioned countless times, I used to be a regular at Starmen.Net. Unfortunately, that site is currently standing on its last legs. The community there had such a passion for the series, pumping out countless petitions, art, writing, music, fan-games, etc. Starmen.Net is what gave the EarthBound fanbase its reputation of being very passionate and vocal, especially with the site's tagline "Do Not Underestimate Us". It's where Toby Fox created the EarthBound Halloween Hack and went on to create Undertale, and where Itoi learned about the fandom and dubbed us the heartwarming name of "Starmen Club".

Starmen.Net, being the core of all things Mother, has taught me so much about the series and gave me the viewpoints I had on it. As you all probably know, the folks over at that site tried time and time again to catch Nintendo's attention and get the series the recognition it deserves. More often than not, these attempts failed, resulting in no acknowledgement from Nintendo, or basically just a "we acknowledge you exist but that doesn't mean we're going to appease your requests". Because of this, the vast majority of users on the site began to adopt very pessimistic views about the series' future. Fans who were around since the 90's began to accept the fate that nothing special would ever come of the franchise, and that we would continue to exist in a world where a Mother 3 localization just won't happen, let alone an HD trilogy. If you were to bring up the idea of the trilogy there, you'd probably get laughed at (not that they're mean folks, but they'd certainly find that idea a bit out there). The pessimistic views of the series I once held originated from Starmen.Net.

However, this site, SmashBoards, has open up my mind to a whole new perspective. Instead of just talked to EarthBound fans at Starmen, I was now talking to fans in a different place. Fans who have had their own histories with the series, histories that largely exclude Starmen.Net (I believe). Because of this, I feel like a lot of the folks here retain a strong sense of optimism even though the the most veteran of fans have given up. That's just the way things are; I'd say out of the whole EarthBound fandom, 90% of folks have given up on the possibility of new content. But things are a lot different here. The optimism many of you share about this series has ignited a fire inside of me, specifically, and while I still don't fully expect something big and grand from Nintendo this year, my mind has largely opened up to the possibility. I enjoy talking to each of you about the franchise, and it's so nice being able to share my experiences about a franchise so near and dear to me when not too many people have ever played it. It makes everything feel all the more special.

Regardless of what happens this year in terms of Mother content, I look forward to celebrating the series' 30th birthday with you all. I will accept whatever outcome may occur because at the end of the day, I will still have a blast celebrating with you all even if Nintendo decides not to.
I've actually never been to Starmen.Net, but yeah, I feel like it's much better here on Smashboards.

In the end, no matter what the chances are of new Mother content, whether it be Smash, Mother 3, or a Mother trilogy remake, I'll never give up on the series. It's the series that just fits me the most, it's the series that will always be with me. I've played many other amazing RPGs, but none of them stay with me like Mother. That's how special it is and how much it means to me.

By the way, AssistAlliance on Discord previously closed it's Ninten discussion thread, but they reopened it recently! Whaddya all say we also discuss over there, and push him and increase his support like we've done over here?

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
I think I emphasize the last syllable, but its hard to say. Whenever someone on the internet asks about how you pronounce something, I say it a bunch of times and then wonder if that is even how I said it before I was asked. Also, I feel like I pronounce it as Nintin instead of Ninten often.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

Well, I suppose I could give you my story since mine's kinda funny looking back on it.

I didn't own a Smash game until Brawl despite me having a Gamecube for a decent amount of time before Brawl dropped. I remember playing Smash 64 at my cousin's place (He didn't have Ness unlocked) and I thought it was super cool. So a few months later, (I believe I was 12 at the time) I convinced my mom to buy me a copy of Brawl. Holy **** that changed everything.

I started by playing Classic with a few characters to get the overall feel of it, (Mostly Pokemon Trainer I think.) then went straight to SSE ignoring the main Smash mode. Then I got to the ruined zoo section, had absolutely no clue what was going on, and then down comes Ness.

He shared the same exact name as my cat.

Needless to say my interest was piqued, and I was p i s s e d when got koed by Wario. So that gave me a reason to continue playing the game to rescue him. Some time during that I remember getting Ninten's sticker and saying to myself "Who's this old timey Ness guy?" Later on I looked online, found some sprite movies made by young fans and I got hooked. I eventually learned who Ninten was through it and also my pride and joy Claus (As well as him being a walking spoiler.)

All I wanted for my birthday that year was an SNES and a copy of EarthBound. I got the SNES, but had to buy the cartridge with my own money, which I happily did as I found a copy on ebay with the guide book for 110 dollars together. (That price today is unheard of I learned.) And once I got it, I enjoyed every second of it. I never got into a game nearly as much as this one, (unless you count Brawl) and even dressed as Ness for Halloween. This was before fangamer sold Ness shirts so you can imagine my frustrated 13 year old self struggling to find a shirt that matched. Thankfully I did and had a grand total of 0 people recognize me lulz. Unless you count my friends who went with me, one dressing up as Luc.

Wasn't till the next summer where I played Mother 3. I remember how proud of myself I was when I figured out how to patch the rom. And that was another life changer. It also solidified Claus as my fave character in the series and hell, one of my fave characters of all time. I even made a crummy Masked Man costume for Halloween that year as well. (I may or may not have went as Geno once too. :p)

I didn't get around to playing Mother 1 until much later, like Smash 4 era later since younger me got so frustrated with the zoo segment I just rage quit it. I had and still have several other obsessions and fandoms, but like clockwork, I always ended up back in the Mother fanbase. I guess you could say I never left heh...

As for my experience with Mother 1, playing it after understanding what to do was much easier, and as much as I cursed at it for cheap deaths, I still enjoyed it. Easily my fave NES/Famicom game ever.

And yeah, I understand the pessimism. I never joined Starmen.net since they seemed a bit... I don't know what the word is... Not gatekeepy, but something similar. They just seemed so intense to me that I didn't think my fanfiction reading, crack shipping self was welcome there. I mostly just hung out on Deviantart to be completely honest, but I understood the overall pessimissim. I thought EB on VC was just a pipe dream. (I think I wrote "EB for VC" on a shirt once. Good lord I was a strange 12/13 year old.) so I was shocked and ecstatic when it eventually happened.

When Smash 4 came around and cut Lucas, I thought we were back to square one. I thought him having a trophy in his Brawl style as well as Ness having his specials as custom moves were a death sentence. In fact I was so pessimistic about Luc coming back my friend sent me his offical render from Nintendo's website and I still thought it was fake. I had to look it up myself and watch his trailer before I believed it. And again later that year when EB0 got localized I again thought it was a cruel prank. I thought I'd never happen but I checked my Wii U's eShop and sure enough there it was.

I know that sounds weird coming from me, the one spamming this thread with theories, but I know what this fandom has been through, and in the past 10 years despite all the progress, up until last year I was still mostly negative. Something happened in that E3 Nintendo Direct though.

Hope happened. For the first time in a long time I felt like something big might happen. It might not have happened just yet, but it honestly just started with me reading a crappy fake leak that mentioned Ninten. I knew it was bunk, but that's what started this whole crusade. It made me rethink everthing that's happened the past few years and slowly overtime learned more and more about Mother's history that slipped under my radar. From a jaded Mother fan to a voice of optimism I guess you could say I changed huh?

I think we're gonna get what we've asked for this year, and if not? Well we've got to do what we do best and be our loud overzealous selves! No crying until the end boys.

1554745773218.png

By the way, AssistAlliance on Discord previously closed it's Ninten discussion thread, but they reopened it recently! Whaddya all say we also discuss over there, and push him and increase his support like we've done over here?
Oh? What prompted the change of heart?

D

Deleted member

Y'know, I think I'm gonna pitch in as well haha.

Brawl was the first video game I ever played, and man, it lead me to my favorite games today. I remember playing as Lucas, and he came to be my second favorite character in the game. I remember trying to unlock Ness, and, combined with how much I sucked at the game and trying to unlock one of the best characters in the game (or at least in Smash 4 he was), I just remembered Ness as this little annoying as hell kid with a corrupted voice. I remembered Lucas as the cool kid with awesome hair, and man, you can see how I had absolutely no knowledge of the Mother series at the time.

Smash 4 came along and I was depressed that Lucas was cut. All there was was an annoying little PK fire spamming toddler...until April fools, that is.

At the time, I wasn't participating in the speculation cycle, so I didn't follow direct dates or leakers. However, when I went over to a friend's house to play with him, I say he had Lucas on his roster! I was so overjoyed when I found out, so I had to buy him. And he was fun as hell.

After all the Smash 4 DLC was revealed, I played Smash 4 for about a year, and then, I was just curious, but I wanted to see what Earthbound was like. I went on YouTube and started watching a playthrough of it. The game was just so charming and wacky, and so much fun - perfectly suited for anyone to play. When the let's player got to Twoson, he stopped and I noticed there were no more videos of his Earthbound playthrough. And boy, when I look back at this, I'm so happy the game wasn't spoiled for me, and that I got the luxury of playing it blind.

So, I then went to the eShop on my WiiU to buy Earthbound, and I sure was addicted to it. It wasn't like anything I played before, and I knew it would have a special place in my heart when I started playing it.

At times it would be difficult, so I'd rage as hard as I did when I'd lose a For Glory match in Smash 4. But soon, Ness wasn't that annoying little PK fire spamming toddler anymore. When I finished Earthbound, it was such a well developed game that deserved so much more recognition, that I played it again. And again. And again. And then I played it with a friend. And I made us play it twice. And then I played it again. And again. I played Earthbound a grand total of 8 times, and I'm currently playing it for the 9th time. I played it so much because there was seriously no other game like it. Until I remembered that there were 2 other games in the series.

I then bought Mother 1 on the WiiU eShop. I did watch a bit of it beforehand, but I saved the majority of the game to play it blind. Hell, while I liked Earthbound overall better, it was just more charming. It was nostalgic. It was so memorable, just like Earthbound. And boy, The Dragon fight was hard as hell. Like Earthbound, I played it for a second time, and decided to try and grind until level 99. I didn't get to level 99, but I got Ninten to level 70, Ana to level 76, and Teddy to level 85. It was so much fun to go around and insta-kill all the enemies, even some on Mt. Itoi. Even though it was just a game, I was proud of it lmao, because it was a game in the series that means so much to me.

I had beaten 2 of the 3 Mother games, and, I was confused, but where was the 3rd Mother game, and in English? I checked the eShop, but it didn't have it. When the eShop failed, I searched up "Mother 3 in English." All I got was the fan translation and a myriad of Mother fans and non-Mother fans digitally yelling "Mother 3 localized is never going to happen." I thought, "oh dear." Was I ever going to be able to play the last game in the Mother series? But then I remembered the fan translation! I read up on it, and, this time, unfortunately spoiled the entire game, but I had to play it. I bought a GBA and the Mother 3 fan translation, and...I was struggling to open the case. It took me a good 10 minutes, a good, frustrating, 10 minutes, but I eventually got it open. It plugged in the GBA and inserted the Mother 3 cartridge. I couldn't help but notice it got ridiculously dark, but I got used to it and was just in shock that I was finally playing Mother 3! It was tear-jerking, entertaining, and just like playing a movie about a tragedy as a video game, and I was only just starting the game. However, I learned that the GBA SP had better lighting, sound quality, and was easier to carry around, so I just decided to get a GBA SP. It was a painful 5-day wait, and, when I got it, it was just before I had to leave for a swimming lesson. Darn it.

When I returned from the swimming lesson, I was relieved to be finally playing the game again. As it went on, it only got better and better, more tear-jerking, and more well-developed. I got to chapter 8, and this was the first time I truly despised a villain in a video game. Porky. Master Porky. King Pig. King slob. King ***hole. Man, he made me angry, and the final fight against Masked Man Claus was heart breaking. But I beat it, and the credits were both so beautiful, up beat, and sad. To this day, it is my favorite game ever made, and will always be my favorite game ever made. You bet I played it again, and I am going to play it for a 3rd time soon.

Smash Ultimate then came along, and it looked like a lot of fun. After speculating newcomers, Geno became my most wanted. I played Super Mario RPG before, and it was another one of my favorite games ever. Then, when I was thinking of the game and how awesome it will be when it would finally be released, I also thought of the Mother games. It made me want a Mother character in Smash. It changed from Duster, to Claus, then, to Ninten, and it will never change. I thought about how cool it would be to have all the protagonists in the same game. I thought about how cool it would be for the Mother series, and especially and more specifically, Mother 1, to get a lot more attention if Ninten were to be added. I thought about how awesome it would be if more Mother games were made and the 3 Mother games were remade. I thought about how cool it would be if Mother 1 got the recognition it deserves, along with Earthbound and Mother 3.

Searching up about this online brought me here, to Smashboards, to the thread "No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!" The discussion about him warmed my heart, so I created an account just to post in this thread (and later the Geno thread), and I put as much thought as I could into my first Smashboards post. And yes, I think I've already mentioned how much I love this thread.

The Mother series, and each of its games, will always stay with me, unlike any other game, because it's so special, and it means so much to me and all other Mother fans.

Oh? What prompted the change of heart?
I dunno. But I'm glad it's back and active lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
I actually discovered Ness in Smash 64, I used to rent the game because I didn't own it and it always came with the last person's save file so it had all the characters except Ness. One day I went to a friend's to play some and he had all the characters and that's when I saw Ness, I was like "umm who is this",he was fun and I really liked how his recovery worked but that's it. One day I went to that data option where you see a little profile of each character and I read Ness' profile and everything sounded so interesting.

When I got a PC I tried to download an emulator (they were kinda new for me at the time,it was 2005 and I was like 10 or 11) and after finally got it to work (I was dumb and I thought I just had to download an emulator and all the games were magically available to play) I played Earthbound and oh boy I loved every second of it. I named Ness and his friends after myself and my school friends at that time and it felt like I was with them on an adventure to save the world.

I got stuck on Belch LOL (I had like fifth grade English as a school subject so a lot of things went over my head),but then a year later I completed the game.

Then it snowballed after that,later I found out EBB existed and played it and I think in 2007 or 2008 (can't remember exactly when the first patch came out) I played Mother 3

I come from that era where Mother was very,very unknown,I have to admit that sometimes I felt very lonely because I wanted to talk about this game but nobody knew of it. After Brawl the series' popularity picked up and that was great.

Fun fact I learned a lot of Past Simple verbs because of Earthbound.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
When I returned from the swimming lesson, I was relieved to be finally playing the game again. As it went on, it only got better and better, more tear-jerking, and more well-developed. I got to chapter 8, and this was the first time I truly despised a villain in a video game. Porky. Master Porky. King Pig. King slob. King ***hole. Man, he made me angry, and the final fight against Masked Man Claus was heart breaking. But I beat it, and the credits were both so beautiful, up beat, and sad. To this day, it is my favorite game ever made, and will always be my favorite game ever made. You bet I played it again, and I am going to play it for a 3rd time soon.
OhgodIcan'tbelieveIdidn'tmentionPorky.

Hoo boy was that character an experience. I honestly despise the character but at the same time, Mother 2 and 3 wouldn't be the same without him now would they?

Me disliking him has nothing to do with me being a Claus fangirl™ whatcha talkin bout?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
While Porky did/caused a lot of horrible things, I can't help but include him in my list of favorite villains.

Spankety spankety spankety :troll:

Last edited:

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
If we’re sharing EarthBound backstories, I can throw mine out there.

As I’m sure is the case with most people, I didn’t hear about EarthBound until I first played Smash Bros. My first smash game I ever owned was on the wii, but it wasn’t Brawl. It was 64. From the moment I unlocked Ness, something about him just clicked with me. He wasn’t a fighter, warrior, or creature. He was a just a kid with a yo-yo, a bat, and psychic powers. That intrigued me, the idea that this game’s protagonist was a kid wielding common toys as weapons. I spent a lot of time learning about the game through wiki articles, and I liked what I saw, but I wouldn’t have a chance to play it for quite some time. My mom was (and still is) very anti-video game, so I was used to not getting to play the games I wanted. An inability to play the game didn't stop me from obsessing over it. I had always liked baseball in elementary school, and this only reinforced my enjoyment of the game when I was young. One time in elementary school, we had a unit in gym class all about learning to use a yo-yo. I though it was super cool to be able to replicate what I had seen in Smash with tricks like "walk the dog", and I ended up purchasing a yo-yo of my own. I still have it, actually. It's strings are all on their last leg, though... I really ought to get new ones.

One Halloween, I dressed as Ness. The stripes weren't the right colors, and the hat was just a red hat with some blue felt strapped on the brim. I grabbed my school backpack and a bat I owned that was way to big and heavy for me, as well as my at that point trusty yo-yo. There was some sort of trick or treat event going on at a church, and while I walked around the parking lot getting candy from the trunks of people's cars, some guy in his 30s looked at me with surprise and asked "Are you Ness??". I remember being super excited to be recognized, and proud of my (very poorly constructed) costume. Later on, I showed off my yo-yo tricks to several people, and tons of the younger kids thought I was awesome.

After elementary school, I ended up moving to a new state. I didn't have any friends, but I had recently obtained Super Smash Bros Brawl. The cutscenes in the SE endeared me to Ness even more, and introduced me to two new new characters: Lucas and Porky. At the time, I assumed Ness and Lucas must be brothers. Unsurprisingly, I mained Ness in brawl. I was utterly convinced he was an amazing character, tier lists be damned. My brother ended up having an affinity for Lucas's playstyle, funnily enough. We would almost always play on New Pork City with items on high. Porky also caught my eye as a villain. Nintendo villains have never really been super serious (outside of Ganon, but I didn't care for LoZ as a kid) and this incredibly creepy spider mech made me take the boss seriously. Ness's bravery impressed me. SE has many individual moments of characters being cool, but none were as hair raising as Ness's sacrifice and Lucas's redemption arc.

Once I was in high school, I would finally get to play this game I had been desperate to try for forever. I fell in love with it almost instantly. High school was a bad time for me, mental health wise. I was put under constant pressure to get perfect grades, to get a job, to be an eagle scout, to be better, and when I had the grades I was expected to get, I was rarely met with praise or reward. More often I would be told to "keep it up or you'll never make it". EarthBound was an escape from all that. It's unique charm made me laugh when few other things could. From there, I went on to play the other games. Neither ever measured up to EarthBound for me, but they are still among my favorite games I've ever played.

Even now, nothing I've ever played has been able to match EarthBound in it's charm, music, and style. Undertale came the closest of anything, but it's awful graphics (don't even fight me, I will die on this hill) and very small world really hold it back. EarthBound Beginnings is in the same boat as Undertale, but I'm more lenient because nearly all of it's limitations can be chalked up to the fact that the game was on the NES. Mother 3 is damn near perfect in it's own right, but only chapters 7 and parts of 8 gave me the "quirky adventure" feeling of EarthBound.

EarthBound fans are an interesting breed. The game is so unique and personal in ways that other games can only dream of being. It's the game everyone knows exists but very few have played. Anytime I've met a fellow EarthBound fan, it's caused an instant connection. Not long ago, someone I'd known for a total of maybe 5-6 hours who also had a passion for EarthBound offered to pay a $50 admin fee so I could represent my school as their first competitive Smash player because "Your favorite game is EarthBound. That alone tells me I can probably trust you."

I sincerely doubt any other game could spark that sort of decision. For me, EarthBound is a perfect game.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't really have much of a story, but when I was 8-9 or so I first learned of Ness and Lucas by playing Brawl. I just assumed they were related somehow, and while learning some stuff about the EarthBound series through Brawl, seeing the title "Mother" and listening to Smash's standard-yet-wrong Onett theme (now properly called "Bein' Friends" in Ultimate, except there's a typo and it's singular instead), I assumed Ness was a boy who's mom was kidnapped by aliens while he was at school or something. Later I would learn what the game was actually about, play EarthBound through an emulator, then later get it on the Wii U since the original game was around $100 (we had/still have an SNES with some games, but a friend of my mom gave it and the games to us, either for free or for cheap; she did the same with the NES; I don't think we could afford a $100 game, though). I also played Mother 3 through an emulator, and later got EarthBound Beginnings on the Wii U.

EarthBound is now one of my favorite series, I like pretty much everything in the games (though tbh that's typical of me with games I like, except a couple of things in B-K: N&B that are minor but still bug me a bit).

Something funny...at my senior prom, when taking pictures of all guys, girls, and both together, the photographer told us to say "fuzzy pickles." I don't know if that originated from EarthBound or not, but I'm gonna assume it did unless told otherwise.

Last edited:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Oh wow! We're talking about our own stories with the series? You guys really have such awesome stories, I'm sorry but I'm also gonna have to add mine!

So... my first touch with the Smash Bros series and MOTHER / Earthbound was with Melee. I got it when I was a kid and I just picked games that looked like games I would like to play. So I got a used copy of Melee that had no previous data (they must have erased it) and a Gamecube for my birthday.
I played the same way that I've always played the game, choosing the characters that I like (mainly because of design, which then makes me enjoy their gameplay) and I played Link, then Young Link when I unlocked him, also played Roy while my brother played Marth.
But one that I always played (and that annoyed my brother SO MUCH) was Ness, while my brother was into more cool looking characters, I was into more cute and innocent looking characters. So even when I picked a character like Roy, or Young Link, it was cuz they gave this "younger" and "inexperienced" feel to them.
Needless to say, Ness was that weird kid that I had no idea from what game he was from. Also, Spanish was my first language and I was too young to understand anything in English just yet, but I was learning. So I didn't knew from what game he was or what he even said when attacking, but I loved playing as him and annoying my brother with him.

Fast forward to Brawl, and I still didn't have any idea of what Earthbound was, cuz I was not curious enough to look up what it was. I still liked Ness and I thought it was REALLY cool to see another character who seemed to be from the same universe as Ness. From all the events from Brawl, Ness and Lucas' story in Brawl was the most epic and awesome thing I ever saw, it was such an epic story to see Pokemon Trainer and Lucas becoming best friends.
I had no idea what was happening during Lucas' event where he's chased by Porky's statue, but it definitely made me curious about the series.

I didn't have a Wii U, and Smash 4 was not even announced just yet. But I eventually went to see what this Mother / Earthbound thing was all about, it seemed like a really cool series to play thanks to Melee and Brawl, as the songs and stages featured in Smash were so memorable for me, I knew English at that time to be able to read and understand English so I was looking forward to learn a bit about the series before playing. I then saw there were not 2, but 3 games, as I didn't knew there were three games until I saw Lucas' game was called Mother 3. I saw fanart of the two characters, but then I was thinking "Wait, there's three games, right? Then why am I no seeing a third kid? It's just Ness and Lucas".

I felt bad for the first game being underrated, even among the Mother / Earthbound community, a community that I didn't even considered myself part of just yet cuz I haven't even played an Earthbound game. So that's when I decided "I'm going to play the first game. Earthbound... Zero." I wanted to know the names of the characters and Ninten's favorite food, after looking up their names real quick and naming them in the game I started to play the first game completely blind.
I had an emulator with all the settings that were the most comfortable for me, and as someone who was REALLY patient with stuff like grinding, I actually felt this game was made for people like me.

I was having a blast playing the game, the battles were simple, but they had a certain charm to them that made me have fun imagining the battles in my mind. It was almost like role playing, where you picture in your mind how everything looks in stuff like battles and events. I was a very curious player so I collected the first melody, then I went outside to the adventure this game had for me.
I collected the second melody, then the third. I then got to Magicant, it was like nothing I ever saw. For being an NES game, this game's world was really interesting to me. I befriended Lloyd and I only ever needed a guide for knowing the map of the factories, everything else I figured it out on my own and with the help of the NPC's.
I ACTUALLY even found Itoi's secret land mine accidentally! IT WAS AWESOME! I saw that it was a message from Itoi, it definitely made me appreciate the love Itoi put into his first game. Not gonna say where it is, though! I was asked to keep it to myself. c:
I continued playing the game non-stop until I FINALLY finished it, I was really shocked that EVE just died and that they had the 7th melody. And once I reached the end, I learned more about the Lore with the XX grave.
I felt really bad for Queen Mary, and definitely got quiet emotional. Seeing how she was finally able to rest with her husband, and seeing Magicant in ruins before existing no more. And now having to face Giegue... It was really intimidating, but after checking him I felt like I could defeat him with Queen Mary telling me what to do, I felt like she was there as I selected to Sing. And finally, I was able to defeat Giegue thanks to Queen Mary's lullaby.

Once the game was trully over, it was awesome to think that this game brang me so much joy for being a small and simple NES game. It will definitely be my most favorite NES game ever.
It was even more awesome that this was the one game I didn't knew anything about, unlike the other two games where I knew SOME things about them.

This made me love the game, it had such an epic story! I loved everything about the game, the music, the characters, the enemies, everything.
I loved Ninten's character so much and I definitely wanted his game to be recognized more.

Smash 4 came out, and I actually was not expecting anything from Mother 1 to be in this game, not because I was not hopeful, but because I was just... not really expecting it at all. Boy was I shocked when I saw that the 3Ds version had MAGICANT as a stage. And then I was even MORE surprised when I finally played the game on the 3Ds and saw Ninten on the background! Not to mention the beautiful theme they made for Magicant.
I was very satisfied to have this stage in the one version that I was able to afford, as I had a 3Ds but was too poor to buy a Wii U. I got all the small references like the 5 flying men. It was heaven to play in that stage!

That's when I realized that I wanted Ninten to appear as a fighter, it didn't matter how, I just wanted to see him in one day. They made this wonderful stage, which is only in the first game. This was the one signal I needed to know that Ninten IS a possible character for Smash. I happily voted for him when the Smash ballot was announced, I was even more hopeful with Earthbound Beginnings being on the VC.
I did not lose hope for him, I've never lost hope for him. Even when the last DLC character was announced, I was just thinking "Oh, maybe next time, then!".

I would just wander around looking at Ninten stuff on the internet now that Earthbound Beginnings was on the VC. I eventually found this thread and I saw that it had awesome people in it, I was not thinking that a Smash website would have such wonderful Ninten fans who would like to see him in just as much as I do. So I was encouraged enough to make an account just to join this thread and support our boy.

Now that I completed all three games, I realized something the Mother / Earthbound series has always shown. In all three games, no matter how difficult things get, now matter how dark and how lonely things are, our characters keep pushing forward. When darkness falls and all hope seems to be fading away, they keep going for it. They're not the best people to go out there to save the world, but they have their hearts on the right direction and they will push forward and fight to protect what is right, the protect the people the care about, to protect all the things that matter to them.
They never lose hope, and they will keep fighting for what they believe in until they succeed.

I believe all of you guys have that, and I hope that none of you lose that spark, like some people have on Starmen. It's sad to know they have given up, but the important thing is to not fall like that. Not just on wanting Ninten or on wanting a remake of the Mother / Earthbound series, but basically in everything life throws at us as well.
I'm so happy I played the Mother / Earthbound series and that I got to meet you guys. I'll definitely look forward to keep being here to hang out with you guys. You guys rock! :ness:

57826993_p21_master1200.jpg

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Oh wow! We're talking about our own stories with the series? You guys really have such awesome stories, I'm sorry but I'm also gonna have to add mine!

So... my first touch with the Smash Bros series and MOTHER / Earthbound was with Melee. I got it when I was a kid and I just picked games that looked like games I would like to play. So I got a used copy of Melee that had no previous data (they must have erased it) and a Gamecube for my birthday.
I played the same way that I've always played the game, choosing the characters that I like (mainly because of design, which then makes me enjoy their gameplay) and I played Link, then Young Link when I unlocked him, also played Roy while my brother played Marth.
But one that I always played (and that annoyed my brother SO MUCH) was Ness, while my brother was into more cool looking characters, I was into more cute and innocent looking characters. So even when I picked a character like Roy, or Young Link, it was cuz they gave this "younger" and "inexperienced" feel to them.
Needless to say, Ness was that weird kid that I had no idea from what game he was from. Also, Spanish was my first language and I was too young to understand anything in English just yet, but I was learning. So I didn't knew from what game he was or what he even said when attacking, but I loved playing as him and annoying my brother with him.

Fast forward to Brawl, and I still didn't have any idea of what Earthbound was, cuz I was not curious enough to look up what it was. I still liked Ness and I thought it was REALLY cool to see another character who seemed to be from the same universe as Ness. From all the events from Brawl, Ness and Lucas' story in Brawl was the most epic and awesome thing I ever saw, it was such an epic story to see Pokemon Trainer and Lucas becoming best friends.
I had no idea what was happening during Lucas' event where he's chased by Porky's statue, but it definitely made me curious about the series.

I didn't have a Wii U, and Smash 4 was not even announced just yet. But I eventually went to see what this Mother / Earthbound thing was all about, it seemed like a really cool series to play thanks to Melee and Brawl, as the songs and stages featured in Smash were so memorable for me, I knew English at that time to be able to read and understand English so I was looking forward to learn a bit about the series before playing. I then saw there were not 2, but 3 games, as I didn't knew there were three games until I saw Lucas' game was called Mother 3. I saw fanart of the two characters, but then I was thinking "Wait, there's three characters, right? Then why am I no seeing a third kid? It's just Ness and Lucas".

I felt bad for the first game being underrated, even among the Mother / Earthbound community, a community that I didn't even considered myself part of just yet cuz I haven't even played an Earthbound game. So that's when I decided "I'm going to play the first game. Earthbound... Zero." I wanted to know the names of the characters and Ninten's favorite food, after looking up their names real quick and naming them in the game I started to play the first game completely blind.
I had an emulator with all the settings that were the most comfortable for me, and as someone who was REALLY patient with stuff like grinding, I actually felt this game was made for people like me.

I was having a blast playing the game, the battles were simple, but they had a certain charm to them that made me have fun imagining the battles in my mind. It was almost like role playing, where you picture in your mind how everything looks in stuff like battles and events. I was a very curious player so I collected the first melody, then I went outside to the adventure this game had for me.
I collected the second melody, then the third. I then got to Magicant, it was like nothing I ever saw. For being an NES game, this game's world was really interesting to me. I befriended Lloyd and I only ever needed a guide for knowing the map of the factories, everything else I figured it out on my own and with the help of the NPC's.
I ACTUALLY even found Itoi's secret land mine accidentally! IT WAS AWESOME! I saw that it was a message from Itoi, it definitely made me appreciate the love Itoi put into his first game. Not gonna say where it is, though! I was asked to keep it to myself. c:
I continued playing the game non-stop until I FINALLY finished it, I was really shocked that EVE just died and that they had the 7th melody. And once I reached the end, I learned more about the Lore with the XX grave.
I felt really bad for Queen Mary, and definitely got quiet emotional. Seeing how she was finally able to rest with her husband, and seeing Magicant in ruins before existing no more. And now having to face Giegue... It was really intimidating, but after checking him I felt like I could defeat him with Queen Mary telling me what to do, I felt like she was there as I selected to Sing. And finally, I was able to defeat Giegue thanks to Queen Mary's lullaby.

Once the game was trully over, it was awesome to think that this game brang me so much joy for being a small and simple NES game. It will definitely be my most favorite NES game ever.
It was even more awesome that this was the one game I didn't knew anything about, unlike the other two games where I knew SOME things about them.

This made me love the game, it had such an epic story! I loved everything about the game, the music, the characters, the enemies, everything.
I loved Ninten's character so much and I definitely wanted his game to be recognized more.

Smash 4 came out, and I actually was not expecting anything from Mother 1 to be in this game, not because I was not hopeful, but because I was just... not really expecting it at all. Boy was I shocked when I saw that the 3Ds version had MAGICANT as a stage. And then I was even MORE surprised when I finally played the game on the 3Ds and saw Ninten on the background! Not to mention the beautiful theme they made for Magicant.
I was very satisfied to have this stage in the one version that I was able to afford, as I had a 3Ds but was too poor to buy a Wii U. I got all the small references like the 5 flying men. It was heaven to play in that stage!

That's when I realized that I wanted Ninten to appear as a fighter, it didn't matter how, I just wanted to see him in one day. They made this wonderful stage, which is only in the first game. This was the one signal I needed to know that Ninten IS a possible character for Smash. I happily voted for him when the Smash ballot was announced, I was even more hopeful with Earthbound Beginnings being on the VC.
I did not lose hope for him, I've never lost hope for him. Even when the last DLC character was announced, I was just thinking "Oh, maybe next time, then!".

I would just wander around looking at Ninten stuff on the internet now that Earthbound Beginnings was on the VC. I eventually found this thread and I saw that it had awesome people in it, I was not thinking that a Smash website would have such wonderful Ninten fans who would like to see him in just as much as I do. So I was encouraged enough to make an account just to join this thread and support our boy.

Now that I completed all three games, I realized something the Mother / Earthbound series has always shown. In all three games, no matter how difficult things get, now matter how dark and how lonely things are, our characters keep pushing forward. When darkness falls and all hope seems to be fading away, they keep going for it. They're not the best people to go out there to save the world, but they have their hearts on the right direction and they will push forward and fight to protect what is right, the protect the people the care about, to protect all the things that matter for them.
They never lose hope, and they will keep fighting for what they believe in until they succeed.

I believe all of you guys have that, and I hope that none of you lose that spark, like some people have on Starmen. It's sad to know they have given up, but the important thing is to not fall like that. Not just on wanting Ninten or on wanting a remake of the Mother / Earthbound series, but basically in everything life throws at us.
I'm so happy I played the Mother / Earthbound series and that I got to meet you guys. I'll definitely look forward to keep being here to hang out with you guys. You guys rock! :ness:

View attachment 205931
Glad to be here! Though you bringing up the landmine reminded me of something kinda funny.

Whenever I’m given the chance to name the player in any Mother game, I ALWAYS name it something inappropriate/offensive because I have the maturity of a 10 year old. By the time I get to the part of the game where the name is brought up, I always forget what I named the player. So imagine my shock stumbling upon the landmine on accident with a text box saying “F***ING BUBBLES.”

I think I have a pic of this somewhere actually because I couldn’t stop laughing.

Edit: I FOUND IT.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't really have a story. First I knew of Earthbound was in Brawl, like with most other Nintendo games. When I started maining Ness (before him, I mained Pikachu, R.O.B., Mr. G&W and the Ice Climbers) I became interested in Earthbound, as the regular American kid aesthetic really stood out from the crowd to me. But I pretty much resigned myself to never being able to play Earthbound... until I learned about emulation.

Earthbound was the first game I emulated, it certainly wasn't the last. Although to give a silver lining to the story and not leave it as just the start of darkness of a filthy pirate, I try to buy old games legally now, and I'm super into videogame preservation efforts.

And back to Earthbound... Still my favorite game of all time!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
For those that want to see the pic.

oops.jpg

I don't really have a story. First I knew of Earthbound was in Brawl, like with most other Nintendo games. When I started maining Ness (before him, I mained Pikachu, R.O.B., Mr. G&W and the Ice Climbers) I became interested in Earthbound, as the regular American kid aesthetic really stood out from the crowd to me. But I pretty much resigned myself to never being able to play Earthbound... until I learned about emulation.

Earthbound was the first game I emulated, it certainly wasn't the last. Although to give a silver lining to the story and not leave it as just the start of darkness of a filthy pirate, I try to buy old games legally now, and I'm super into videogame preservation efforts.

And back to Earthbound... Still my favorite game of all time!
Mother 3 was the first game I emulated. I felt so bad about emulation that I wanted to get a copy of the game before playing. I can't read Japanese like at all, but having the original game still feels cool.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
I guess I'll share my story as well, though I must say that I think I'm quite a bit younger than most of you and I've only been a fan of the series for about four-to-five-ish years (I still love it to death though, Mother 1 being my favorite game of all time). I'm a pretty recent Smash fan as well, my first game being the 3DS version back in 2014.

I first found out about Ness through Smash after losing to his character unlock on the first night I ever had the game. I honestly thought that he was really weird and he became a sort of meme character with me and my friends. Like, we had all these jokes about Ness being really obsessed with spoons? because we had no idea what he was saying when he said, "PK STAAAAAARSTOOOOOOORM!" and we thought he was just screeching "PIIIIICK A SPOOOOOOOON!" I knew absolutely nothing about the series at this time and I made some... interesting (to say the least) inferences of what I thought the game was based on what I knew/had seen from Smash. It was so screwed up that I almost feel embarrassed saying it because it's just that bad, but Imma say it anyways because it just makes me laugh now, being an actual fan of the series. Ok, so I thought that Ness was from a game called Mother that was about all of these kids (including Ness) that were raised by aliens? in Magicant? by a Starman that was just called the mother? It's so bad, I know.

Then sixth grade me came around and I was submerged deep into Earthbound hell. I can't remember what inspired me to get into the series, but I think it was that eleven-year-old me got this crush on Ness sometime in late fifth grade and I wanted to try his game. I was one of those trashy fangirly gross fans and my friends and I still make fun of this point in my life endlessly. I spoiled both Earthbound and Mother 3 for myself and never paid much attention to Mother 1 (which was helpful for my more recent fascination with the series as I was able to play it somewhat blindly (and it's ironic as well since Mother 1 is now my favorite game of all time)). I would constantly watch the Mother 3 ending and just skip to the part when you-know-what happens and do a "try not to cry challenge" (that always failed btw, but looking back, I think I was exaggerating so I could look funny for my friends). I spent fifty percent of my life looking at fanart on DeviantArt and I had these horrible, horrible fictional crushes on Ness, Lucas, Ninten (despite knowing virtually nothing about him, ugh), Claus, and Jeff at the time, made a bunch of terrible fanart, and I even made an OC that I only used like once (she was just a self-insert that I shipped with Ness and it was absolutely ****ty lol).

Eventually, Earthbound was fazed out by other interests and I was ashamed of my sixth-grade self for being such an interesting individual. The next two-or-so years of my life went on and then the summer of 2018 came around. I was super hyped for the upcoming Smash reveal at E3. I watched it live and seeing Ness and Lucas's updated final smashes just made me so damn nostalgic for the Mother series. It just sparked this newfound passion for the series within me and I replayed all of the games, which brings me to where I am now. It's a somewhat anticlimactic ending, but I feel like so much of this story is just so silly (and a tad embarrassing, but the bad stuff was years ago so I feel fine joking about it now lol)...

...And because I got back into the series during the height of Smash speculation, Ninten became my most-wanted character, as well as really the first character that I ever supported during days of speculation since I'm such a recent Smash fan to the point where I never saw the days of Smash 4 speculation.

Welp, there's my ****ty-ass backstory. I'm so sorry lol.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Then sixth grade me came around and I was submerged deep into Earthbound hell. I can't remember what inspired me to get into the series, but I think it was that eleven-year-old me got this crush on Ness sometime in late fifth grade and I wanted to try his game. I was one of those trashy fangirly gross fans and my friends and I still make fun of this point in my life endlessly. I spoiled both Earthbound and Mother 3 for myself and never paid much attention to Mother 1.
I spent fifty percent of my life looking at fanart on DeviantArt and I had these horrible, horrible fictional crushes on Ness, Lucas, Ninten (despite knowing virtually nothing about him, ugh), Claus, and Jeff at the time, made a bunch of terrible fanart, and I even made an OC that I only used like once (she was just a self-insert that I shipped with Ness and it was absolutely ****ty lol).
>Crush on Ness while in 6th grade

Jesus Chris it's like looking in a mirror. Why do I relate so much with your post.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If there's a lesson to learn from today, is that your sixth-grade versions were awesome and cooler than many adults. Nothing to be ashamed of.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
>Crush on Ness while in 6th grade

Jesus Chris it's like looking in a mirror. Why do I relate so much with your post.
Lol, it seems to be a theme with younger Earthbound fans, or at least some of the older fans when they were younger as well
If there's a lesson to learn from today, is that your sixth-grade versions were awesome and cooler than many adults. Nothing to be ashamed of.
Ha ha, if only seventh/eighth grade me knew that. Tbh I can appreciate my old self now knowing that it got me to this point in life

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Lol, it seems to be a theme with younger Earthbound fans, or at least some of the older fans when they were younger as well
My Claus obsession was a wee bit frightening, and honestly is still kinda continuing till this day in a way heh... I may or may not have shipped an OC with him too. Deviantart was weeeeeeeird, but I don't think I regret it.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
My Claus obsession was a wee bit frightening, and honestly is still kinda continuing till this day in a way heh... I may or may not have shipped an OC with him too. Deviantart was weeeeeeeird, but I don't think I regret it.
Oh jeez, I think Claus might've been my biggest crush back in sixth grade. I guess I was just enamored by his super edgy tortured anime boy aesthetic that I saw in him in like sixth grade. He's just such an easy character to do that to.

also I may or may not have just flat-out shipped myself with him and I hate it

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Oh jeez, I think Claus might've been my biggest crush back in sixth grade. I guess I was just enamored by his super edgy tortured anime boy aesthetic that I saw in him in like sixth grade. He's just such an easy character to do that to.

also I may or may not have just flat-out shipped myself with him and I hate it
>Fun personality
>Interesting character arc
>Reckless af
>Great design
>Edgy
>Cyborg
>Has ****ing bat wings
>Ginger

What can I say that's literally a perfect character to me.

D

Deleted member

What do y'all think the saddest moments in the Mother series were?

I think they were EVE's death in Mother 1, Hinawa's death in Mother 3, and the entirety of Claus's story, including his death, also in Mother 3.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I think they were EVE's death in Mother 1, Hinawa's death in Mother 3, and the entirety of Claus's story, including his death, also in Mother 3.
Porky was trapped forever, and was originally planned to die as well EVE's death, Hinawa's death, Claus...the closest I can think of for EarthBound is Porky's story, but that is actually sad depending on how you view him.

Also how Ninten's and Ness's dads are always gone, tbh.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

In EB0, I'd say either the kids without their parents or the fact that Ninten and Ana went their separate ways.

In EB, the 'deaths' of the Chosen Four and the death of Buzz Buzz come to mind.

And then there's all of Mother 3.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

1. Ness/Ninten's dad(s) being absent all the time.

2. The entire ending of Mother 1

3. Everything about Pic Related

1554773894254.png

In my perfect fanon ending the Dark Dragon brings him back and none of y'all can take that from me.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
In EB0, I'd say either the kids without their parents or the fact that Ninten and Ana went their separate ways.

In EB, the 'deaths' of the Chosen Four and the death of Buzz Buzz come to mind.

And then there's all of Mother 3.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure Ana and Ninten would still be reunited eventually.
Personally, I would say that Mother 1 has Giegue and his family being torn apart, then having Giegue have revenge on the humans and being reminded of the one human who loved him.
Also EVE's death and the kids of Youngtown.

EB really lacks sad moments, not saying that's bad, it still has some emotional moments like Ness' family praying for his safety.

And Mother 3 really doesn't have anything sad. Sure, it has Lucas' family being torn apart, but that is not important. HOWEVER, meeting Negative Man in Mom 3 is definitely the saddest moment in all of Mother / Earthbound history. Itoi is such a master at making sad stories, you could feel the love, the passion, the tragedy, all in Negative Man's battle. Byotiful.
I give Negative Man a 10 outta 10 on how sad it is compared to all the other sad momments in the Mother series.

Also, am I the only one here who actually sees Ninten as this quiet kid who always has the same face for the most part and who never speaks?

I always pictured Ness as the happier, more expressive and extroverted of the three Mother / Earthbound protagonist.
Lucas as the shy, introverted and emotional one but who would still talk more than Ninten, who would be the quiet one, the one that no one knows what he's actually thinking.
I guess it doesn't help that in-game Ninten is quieter than me when the teacher asked a question to the whole class. And he's as expressive as a statue.
Not saying it's bad, I kinda like that about him.
Wouldn't mind if they redesigned Ninten and made him look like this quiet character who would rather express himself through actions, as that's kinda how he is in-game, regardless of any official description he may have about his personality.

In my perfect fanon ending the Dark Dragon brings him back and none of y'all can take that from me.
To be fair, I also assumed that the Dark Dragon did that at the end of Mother 3. In fact, it is explained that he would recreate the world and that all evil would cease to exist if it was driven by a heart of good.
We can even see that Porky is actually doing better now, even when he's still inside the Absolutely Safe Capsule. Maybe he was cleaned from Giygas' influence completely, and now he was finally able to show things like compassion and happiness.
We also have not much idea of who we're talking to at the "END?" screen. Sure, we recognize some characters (we even see that Kumatora is crying, most likely from happiness), but most of the others are left ambiguous. I like to think that Lucas and Claus are one of the people who thank you before you leave and go to the credits.

Since the Nowhere Islands are still connected to the same world where Mother 1 and Earthbound took place, I like to think that the Dark Dragon even recreated those events but without any evil in them. So George, Maria and Giegue stayed as a happy family and eventually came in piece to the Earth by the time Giegue was older and Ninten was around. Further staying true to Giegue's last words towards Ninten of "we shall meet again", except it is as a happy ending. So yeah, for Mother 1, I like to think that Ninten and Giegue became friends and the Earth people were taught PSI by the aliens.

For Mother 2 / Earthbound, this would mean that Porky never became corrupted. And maybe his family was less greedy and cruel with all evil gone. So he ended up being a better kid and living a much happier and peaceful life with Ness.

And as I already said before, for Mother 3, the huge tragedy was undone and Lucas is finally able to be with his reunited family once again. And yes, there's 2 Porkies, since as we know, the Nowhere Islands are kinda separated from the rest of the world through time and space, but still connected in some way.
So basically... time and space stuff making a person live in two different times as two different people. At least that's more believable that Kingdom Heart's time travel crap.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
The story I wrote isn’t as long but here it is:

Like a lot of people, Super Smash Bros was the first time I was ever heard of EarthBound. It was Ness and Lucas’s inclusion as characters and the trophy descriptions in Melee and Brawl where my curiousity sparked for the Mother series. Hearing people talk about it online also built up my interest over time.

It wasn’t until early 2011 when I finally decided to buy EarthBound for about $120 (before shipping) to play on my Super Nintendo. It seemed the most reasonable price at the time with the cartridge's condition, so I went for it. When I played the game, I immediately fell in love with it! The characters, the humor, the story, the gameplay, the music, and the overall charm appealed to me in a way that made it unique.

After beating EarthBound, I decided to track down Mother 3. I didn’t download it, but instead, I imported an official GBA cartridge from Japan. However, in order to play it in English, I had to dump the ROM from the cart and apply the fan-made English patch provided by fobby.net. It was one of the most beautifully written games I ever played. While some games I’ve played before made me feel teary-eyed, Mother 3 was the first one that really hit me hard. But, that’s a good thing, because it meant that I was invested in the story and the characters.

With the other two games completed, I searched for the first Mother game, which at the time fans dubbed “EarthBound Zero”. Because the game wasn’t officially released outside of Japan at the time, I purchased a reproduction cartridge to play on my NES. It is definitely the hardest game in the series, but it still won me over with its charm and story. EarthBound Beginnings, the fanbase, and the series as a whole inspired me to spread support for Ninten on these threads.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet

Well Mother 3 obviously has its moments. Like, chapter 1 is just such a big sad. Lucas's whole story is pretty tragic too. He lost his mother and brother at a young age and had to cope with parental neglect because Flint just kinda forgot that Lucas existed so he could search for Claus. Like, I don't wanna be like one of those people who's all like, "Lucas is a smol precious sad child owo must protecc," but I ain't gonna deny that he had a ****ty life. Also the final boss, but that's a given. As for Earthbound, the end really got to me. I think it was just that feeling of desperation that the kids likely had in the very end when Paula was praying that got me. Mother 1 and 3 are the games that hit my feels the most to the point of almost making me cry. EVE's death, the kids in Youngtown, the final boss, and just the whole dynamic that Teddy and Lloyd had at first (headcanons really come into play here) are a few of the saddest for me. I'm not a person who's very prone to crying over games and such, but the Mother series really toys with my feelings and it hurts but I love it. It still hurts my soul hella badly even if I don't really show it.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Also, am I the only one here who actually sees Ninten as this quiet kid who always has the same face for the most part and who never speaks?

I always pictured Ness as the happier, more expressive and extroverted of the three Mother / Earthbound protagonist.
Lucas as the shy, introverted and emotional one but who would still talk more than Ninten, who would be the quiet one, the one that no one knows what he's actually thinking.
I guess it doesn't help that in-game Ninten is quieter than me when the teacher asked a question to the whole class. And he's as expressive as a statue.
Wouldn't mind if they redesigned Ninten and made him look like this quiet character who would rather express himself through actions, as that's kinda how he is in-game, regardless of any official description he may have about his personality.

DID SOMEBODY SAY HEADCANONS?!?! Cuz I've got a ton.

It'd take ten years to list out though but if anyone's interested, I can spill a few.

To be fair, I also assumed that the Dark Dragon did that at the end of Mother 3. In fact, it is explained that he would recreate the world and that all evil would cease to exist if it was driven by a heart of good.
Yep this is canon to me lulz.

Like, I don't wanna be like one of those people who's all like, "Lucas is a smol precious sad child owo must protecc,"
I feel so attacked. ;)

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
To be fair, I'm pretty sure Ana and Ninten would still be reunited eventually.
Personally, I would say that Mother 1 has Giegue and his family being torn apart, then having Giegue have revenge on the humans and being reminded of the one human who loved him.
Also EVE's death and the kids of Youngtown.

EB really lacks sad moments, not saying that's bad, it still has some emotional moments like Ness' family praying for his safety.

And Mother 3 really doesn't have anything sad. Sure, it has Lucas' family being torn apart, but that is not important. HOWEVER, meeting Negative Man in Mom 3 is definitely the saddest moment in all of Mother / Earthbound history. Itoi is such a master at making sad stories, you could feel the love, the passion, the tragedy, all in Negative Man's battle. Byotiful.
I give Negative Man a 10 outta 10 on how sad it is compared to all the other sad momments in the Mother series.

We can even see that Porky is actually doing better now, even when he's still inside the Absolutely Safe Capsule. Maybe he was cleaned from Giygas' influence completely, and now he was finally able to show things like compassion and happiness.
We also have not much idea of who we're talking to at the "END?" screen. Sure, we recognize some characters (we even see that Kumatora is crying, most likely from happiness), but most of the others are left ambiguous. I like to think that Lucas and Claus are one of the people who thank you before you leave and go to the credits.

Since the Nowhere Islands are still connected to the same world where Mother 1 and Earthbound took place, I like to think that the Dark Dragon even recreated those events but without any evil in them. So George, Maria and Giegue stayed as a happy family and eventually came in piece to the Earth by the time Giegue was older and Ninten was around. Further staying true to Giegue's last words towards Ninten of "we shall meet again", except it is as a happy ending. So yeah, for Mother 1, I like to think that Ninten and Giegue became friends and the Earth people were taught PSI by the aliens.

For Mother 2 / Earthbound, this would mean that Porky never became corrupted. And maybe his family was less greedy and cruel with all evil gone. So he ended up being a better kid and living a much happier and peaceful life with Ness.

And as I already said before, for Mother 3, the huge tragedy was undone and Lucas is finally able to be with his reunited family once again. And yes, there's 2 Porkies, since as we know, the Nowhere Islands are kinda separated from the rest of the world through time and space, but still connected in some way.
So basically... time and space stuff making a person live in two different times as two different people. At least that's more believable that Kingdom Heart's time travel crap.
Idk, I feel like I have different characterizations for the protagonists than most people so here goes.

I've always seen Ninten as this kinda chill and tired (also meme-filled) hidden-badass type character. Like, nobody would expect him to show such a firey and aggressive side in battle since he looks to be just this lazy ball of memes and tiredness, but he does anyways. I also have some headcanons about him becoming more hyperfocused on protecting his friends later on in the journey, causing him to become a bit angrier and aggressive outside of battle out of concern for his friends because the whole situation is becoming more and more dire and such.

As for Ness, I don't have as many personal headcanons for him or anything special. He's just kinda the cheery and optimistic leader of his group, if not a bit sensitive. Ness seems like the type who can be effected negatively by the emotions of those around him so he always tries to keep morale up. He just cares a lot about the mental status of his friends and when they're sad, he's sad.

Now for Lucas. Lucas, Lucas, Lucas. In my personal opinion, I think that the whole shy innocent smol bean not-allowed-to-swear-because-he's-a-****ing-babey Lucas is done to death and doesn't really suit him after the events of his life. I see Lucas as more of a quiet badass, and a tad bit socially awkward due to his under-developed social skills, as he was a bit of a pampered child. I also just love the idea of Lucas being nonchalantly depressed to the point where not much phases him anymore and he just has a kind of "guess I'll die" mindset. That's not to say he's an emotionless sponge. Quite the opposite, in fact. I can see him as the type who still does cry a bit, but not really out of pure sadness all of the time, just more out of frustration, stress, or anger. Lucas is a strong, flourishing young lad who ate his vegetables like a good boy and grew into a firm little beanstalk.

I probably missed a lot of stuff that's in my head for these boys, I'm just tired as **** right now so hopefully this will suffice.

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
I picture Ninten kinda like in the novel. Hot headed and gets angry easily,but he really enjoys Lloyd's and Ana's company and cares deeply for them.
My headcanon for Ness is that he puts a cheery and positive attitude for his friends because he is the leader but he has a constant dread in his heart that he might not be strong enough to defeat Giygas or that his friends might get hurt in the process.At least that's what I think after the Lumine Hall event where Ness' thoughts are displayed.

D

Deleted member

Just wanted to share this work of art (and spot the boys):

proxy.png

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Okay, so normally I got something to say that has any meaning or reason to be here. But I was exposed to this and now I'm gonna post it here before going to sleep.
May I present to you...

Jeff without glasses.
JeffNoPutThoseInYourHeadAndGlueThemIntoYourFace.jpg

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I'll probs post some headcanons after I get some more of my portfolio done.

Okay, so normally I got something to say that has any meaning or reason to be here. But I was exposed to this and now I'm gonna post it here before going to sleep.
May I present to you...

Jeff without glasses.
View attachment 206111
Cursed image.

Top Bottom