• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS No C-stick, No Dice.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Just a thread for those of us who find the combination of the lack of precision on circle pads and the lack of a second stick entirely to ruin the otherwise fun experience of Smash Bros. for 3DS. I need to vent, and I'm sure others do as well.

Every match is sloppy on both sides, with SDs and missed links and clearly incorrect inputs (like Link throwing a boomerang while under the stage, or Fox's upB going in the completely wrong direction). The lack of a C-stick alternative at the moment makes aerials predictable and sometimes virtually incapable of landing.

It is currently impossible to play the damn game at one's best. Well, unless maybe you can find a character who doesn't need off-momentum aerials, or precise directional input, or a necessity to distinguish between tilts and smashes.

The game is still fun when not taken seriously, but even then, simply learning a new character can be horribly aggravating. Then old favorites suddenly seem needlessly more difficult to control, and when both sides are feeling the effects, the result is one very, very sad looking replay.

Nintendo. For the love of all that is holy, add ****ing CPP support.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Smash doesn't belong on a handheld anyway

Trueshinobi

Smash Rookie
Just a thread for those of us who find the combination of the lack of precision on circle pads and the lack of a second stick entirely to ruin the otherwise fun experience of Smash Bros. for 3DS. I need to vent, and I'm sure others do as well.

Every match is sloppy on both sides, with SDs and missed links and clearly incorrect inputs (like Link throwing a boomerang while under the stage, or Fox's upB going in the completely wrong direction). The lack of a C-stick alternative at the moment makes aerials predictable and sometimes virtually incapable of landing.

It is currently impossible to play the damn game at one's best. Well, unless maybe you can find a character who doesn't need off-momentum aerials, or precise directional input, or a necessity to distinguish between tilts and smashes.

The game is still fun when not taken seriously, but even then, simply learning a new character can be horribly aggravating. Then old favorites suddenly seem needlessly more difficult to control, and when both sides are feeling the effects, the result is one very, very sad looking replay.

Nintendo. For the love of all that is holy, add ****ing CPP support.
I completely agree. The circle pad isn't for smash... I really am hoping the new 3DS XLs will be geared toward smash 3DS. The circle pad is just too flat and has really no precision.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
Hell, all they need to do is add a function to either customize the controls for the Dpad or touch screen (flick a direction to get a smash) to function as a poor man's c-stick, and I'd be happy.

The official story for why there's no CPP support is that the game is already maxing out the 3DS hardware, and the CPP uses up ever so valuable processing power. That said, I really doubt that Smash4 is the most optimized game to begin with, and that they could have easily cut a few corners to make the CPP work (just turn off bloom effects... not like anybody notices that on the 3DS anyway).
Additionally, for what it's worth, it seems like they had no problem squeezing in the power to use Amiibos...

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Then don't complain ;)
I figured the subtext would explain it, but okay. I'll retry:

I want to play Smash 4. What I don't want is to play it with these imprecise, incapable and intentionally hindered controls due to the console's limitations plus the executive decision to not support a second circle pad peripheral already available to the public. I'm sure Smash 4 is a fantastic game, but I can't tell because it's no fun to play when every match is plagued with obvious miscues, messups and SDs because of controls alone.

The 3DS version, as it currently stands, is little more than a $40 demo for the Wii U version in my mind. That is what's aggravating me. I see no reason to come back to this version after Nov. 21st unless I'm travelling or all the Wii U consoles in the world spontaneously combust. And that's a very sad, frustrating feeling, because I was really excited about the 3DS game.

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
I definitely can see where you're coming from. Sometimes I have to take a quick glance at the circle pad to make sure I'm tilting it in the right direction. There have been too many accidental off-stage Rests...

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I figured the subtext would explain it, but okay. I'll retry:

I want to play Smash 4. What I don't want is to play it with these imprecise, incapable and intentionally hindered controls due to the console's limitations plus the executive decision to not support a second circle pad peripheral already available to the public. I'm sure Smash 4 is a fantastic game, but I can't tell because it's no fun to play when every match is plagued with obvious miscues, messups and SDs because of controls alone.

The 3DS version, as it currently stands, is little more than a $40 demo for the Wii U version in my mind. That is what's aggravating me. I see no reason to come back to this version after Nov. 21st unless I'm travelling or all the Wii U consoles in the world spontaneously combust. And that's a very sad, frustrating feeling, because I was really excited about the 3DS game.
You could have just said if you aren't playing smash4 with a control stick and decent controls, you aren't playing smash4.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You could have just said if you aren't playing smash4 with a control stick and decent controls, you aren't playing smash4.
Yeeeeah, guess that would've saved me a lot of typing.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Real talk, since there's a thread, I might as well go in. Circle pad can be pretty annoying. I literally always get up-angled ftilts and fsmashes. I'll try to punish someone with ROB's fsmash and usually miss because of this. :(

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Real talk, since there's a thread, I might as well go in. Circle pad can be pretty annoying. I literally always get up-angled ftilts and fsmashes. I'll try to punish someone with ROB's fsmash and usually miss because of this. :(
Thus is the problem with having 360 degrees of input without notches to easily use the inputs that matter the most.

It's good for games like mario kart, or super mario 3D world, but not smash.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
It bugs me a bit since there's some serious untapped potential for some characters with the lack of the C stick (Falcon, Mario/Dr Mario, Marth/Lucina) but all of those characters are still good even without it. Did you ever play Smash 64? You can still be good without it.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
The strange thing is that I haven't had any trouble using the Circle Pad. Though that might have something to do with me being used to "bad" controllers. I used Wiimote solo in Brawl 100%, so this is actually an improvement for me.

Zuff

Smash Rookie
I am comforted by the fact that Nintendo is actually making new GameCube controllers. Until the Wii U version I'm using it as a way to learn the game before it's out.
And besides that, I actually enjoy playing a few matches with friends over a couple beers. (not online though, anyone else getting horrible input lag?)

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
The strange thing is that I haven't had any trouble using the Circle Pad. Though that might have something to do with me being used to "bad" controllers. I used Wiimote solo in Brawl 100%, so this is actually an improvement for me.
I feel the exact same way. I feel no issue using the Circle Pad and I've gotten pretty used to it. What's funnier about this similarity between you and I is I also used the Wiimote solo in brawl all the time, until I started using GC controllers. Even then I sometimes go to the wiimote when I play casually with my little cousins or my friends.

Either way, I see where people are coming from with this. The c-stick is an amazing tool to use when playing and to be honest I do miss it at times. I can't wait 'till the release on the Wii U to have that GC controller support plus the LAN adapter to make the online more stable. Not only that but much MUCH more tournaments will be held.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry though, the Amiibo attachment works just fine... definitely managed to figure out how to prioritize just enough processing power for that.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The Circle Pad works fine. It isn't as good as a stick, but it does its job. Also, people's fixation with c-stick is embarrassing.

This ****ing community complains about everything. Every ****ing thing. That is what ruin the otherwise fun experience of Smash Bros. for 3DS.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Don't worry though, the Amiibo attachment works just fine... definitely managed to figure out how to prioritize just enough processing power for that.
It's probably because the peak power usage of the game is in match, while Amiibos are added in the character select screen from what we've seen.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
The Circle Pad works fine. It isn't as good as a stick, but it does its job. Also, people's fixation with c-stick is embarrassing.

This ****ing community complains about everything. Every ****ing thing. That is what ruin the otherwise fun experience of Smash Bros. for 3DS.
The circle pad doesn't work fine, it's not as precise as a regular analog stick would be. It's alright, but it's not fine.

And people like the cstick because it's insanely useful in ll forms of play. I would prefer if I could actually control the game how I want too, but I won't be able to do that until the WiiU version comes out.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
The 3ds circle pad, can really be a b**** too play with in the start. But you´ll get used too it. But I think that the Gc controller is MILES better.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
The circle pad doesn't work fine, it's not as precise as a regular analog stick would be. It's alright, but it's not fine.

And people like the cstick because it's insanely useful in ll forms of play. I would prefer if I could actually control the game how I want too, but I won't be able to do that until the WiiU version comes out.
Judging by the tournaments it does. And it's only been 1 week for some and 1 month for others. It's not like people have had over a decade to get used to gamecube controllers. Oh wait.

Last edited:

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
I agree that it's frustrating sometimes to play with the circle pad. I can't tell you how many times I've used Captain Falcon's Raptor Boost instead of his Falcon Dive while below the stage. And it does infuriate me. But I also remember that 95% of the time, it does what it's supposed to. Yes, it sucks but it's just the way it is sadly.

I've even thought about modding my 3DS to use the GC controller but decided against it in the end. I am just happy to have a new Smash game (I have not owned one since the N64 days).

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
I get your point completely - I wish there were a C-Stick too. But you are preaching to the choir. Worse still, it comes of as whiney, long-winded and a bit melodramatic. It seems like you are baiting drama.

If you care this much about it, tell Nintendo. They are asking for feedback. Petition them. E-mail them. Write snailmail to Reggie (an actual written letter is so uncommon today it's more likely to get noticed). Draw him a picture. Use humor. I hear he likes that sort of thing.

Actions speak. Good luck. (Sincerely)

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
And people wonder why others would like to have a GCC adapter for 3DS

Good possibility I will buy a console I DO NOT want just for SSB4. This was only a maybe....now it may be a sure thing lol

Who knows..... I bought an XB for KOTOR and HALO and ended up loving the system and games. Maybe Wii,U will surprise me too

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, at this point all you can really do is wait for the New 3DS, or wait for the WiiU version.

I know, C-Stick is important for advanced play, but there isn't much you can do now, really.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
And people wonder why others would like to have a GCC adapter for 3DS

Good possibility I will buy a console I DO NOT want just for SSB4. This was only a maybe....now it may be a sure thing lol

Who knows..... I bought an XB for KOTOR and HALO and ended up loving the system and games. Maybe Wii,U will surprise me too
Why don't you want a Wii U? It's got better games than either the PS4 or Xbone, or are you just done with consoles in general?

Last edited:

Qnez

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gunzelino
3DS FC
4511-0457-1518
You all sound like spoiled melee players who never played 64. I would argue that smash 64 was even harder to control because of that ****ty Controller and stick. The game is more then playable on the 3DS. It isn't perfect by any means. But it works enough to be competitive.

What I don't like though is that Smash supports the New 3DS(from what I've heard) and lets the second stick function as a C-stick.
So when you play against a (soon)Japanese/Australian person there is a chance they hold the advantage, which they will hold for a few months. I don't think we even have a release for the thing yet.

Last edited:

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
It sucks to not have a C-stick, but what're ya gonna do. What else can we say?

Top Bottom