• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I love how a majority of the internet, a place with arguments, trolls and all around jerk-ish actions can come together in times like this. It's bizarre, yet heartwarming.
It says something when even 4chan is mourning. Iwata believed games should be fun, none of this 'preorder, patch later, obligatory DLC' bull****. I haven't been this sad about a celebrity's death

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My dog kept coming over to me earlier to sit on my lap and look up at me like ''Are you okay? Am I doing anything to help?"

He was.

Soul.

The Metal Gear salute .GIF is nothing but a way to show someone's condolences, regardless if it's seen from a meme standpoint. When I use it, I don't need to remind myself that it's used in memes. I guess.

D

Deleted member

This is the first time I have legitimately been sad about any celebrities death. I think this has something to do with the fact that our lives were in a way, impacted because of this one man.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only times other than Iwata that struck me this hard was when Robin Williams and Elisabeth Sladen (Doctor Who actress responsible for Sarah Jane Smith, the penultimate companion) died.

Both of whom also had a ''Fighting an illness in the face of bravery to enterain" element to them as well.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Think of it this way.

Iwata was an important man to the entire gaming industry.

It is all but reasonable if other games are used to honor him, as his influence in the gaming world is almost unparalleled and one that deserves respect. Why else did Sony send condolences?

Not criticizing your opinion, just offering a different outlook on it,
I understand that, and I did consider that viewpoint. Iwata has had a huuuuuge impact on the video game industry. And he's instrumental to Smash Bros. which is why I've been upset all day. This is the first celebrity death that I've ever been sad about. However, to me, it's like this scenario: Henry Ford died. Then instead of riding/ posting about a Ford car, you go and say, "Thank Ford for the Toyota!" Sure Ford impacted Toyota, but if you want to really, really honor his memory you should focus on his own accomplishments. Sorry for the crappy analogy.

For me, the best thing that people can do is go and read about Iwata's life. Go play his games. Donate to cancer research. Posting memes on the Internet won't bring you really closer to the work and the impact that he's done. In my opinion, it's superficial. Again, I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, just trying to explain my thoughts. I can totally understand why people will not like what I said, and I'm not expecting other people to "accept" it.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427

Some reactions from other big names. This really is a huge deal. :(

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
The next Direct is going to feel so weird...
Directs will feel so different from now on. Iwata brought so much fun, energy and charm to all of the directs. Without him there it'll feel so strange

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Seeing someone so vocal and opinionated like Kamiya at a loss for words shows the reach Iwata had into the hearts of people everywhere.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

Some reactions from other big names. This really is a huge deal. :(
Both microsoft and Sony has shown support.Really goes to show the impact the man made in the gaming community

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I wonder if the next President will be in directs or I wonder if they'll even retire the directs in his honor.

''DIRECTLY TO YOU" is Iwata's thing after all.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I'm going to bed. I've been kind of sad since the news broke and hopefully I can sleep it off tonight. This death has really impacted the hearts of gamers tonight and its nice seeing the gaming communities coming together.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I wonder if the next President will be in directs or I wonder if they'll ever retire the directs in his honor.

''DIRECTLY TO YOU" is Iwata's thing after all.
I assume things will continue as normal, only with the new president. Iwata is synonymous with the Directs but you know what they say, the show must go on.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
This still feels like a surreal nightmare. God damn, I really can't believe he was taken away from us so soon...

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Itoi wrote a farewell essay on his blog
Rough translation because of tears. I think Im done for today.
Whenever we part ways, I think it's best to say, "See you soon". Because we are friends, we will meet again. That's not strange [at all]. Yes. We will meet again.

You've sure gone on a far trip, huh. Much earlier than [we] had planned. Wearing clothes that suit you the best, being unable to say "I'm sorry for [leaving you] early" [but finally] saying it.

You always put off things for youself, giving help to anyone who needed it. Since you were that kind of friend, leaving us might be the first selfish thing you have done.

[NOTE: Not 100% sure on grammar for the 4th paragraph but it's basically about Iwata/ Itoi making plans to meet up and having meals together].

Anyhow..."see you soon" will be something that I will always say, no matter where. Whenever I want to ask for your advice or tell you about a good idea I had.

See you soon. Wait, even now I can see you.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Take a look at the front page of reddit right now. (quoting because of large image)
/r/gaming
/r/nintendo (twice)
/r/smashbros
/r/technology
/r/news
/r/3DS
/r/PS4
/r/xboxone
/r/wiiu

Every single one of those subreddits have posted about the matter, and each one has at least 2000 upvotes.

As saddening as this loss may be, I'm glad to see that Iwata is getting the respect he deserves. The man truly was a gaming legend.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Whenever we part ways, I think it's best to say, "See you soon". Because we are friends, we will meet again. That's not strange [at all]. Yes. We will meet again.

You've sure gone on a far trip, huh. Much earlier than [we] had planned. Wearing clothes that suit you the best, being unable to say "I'm sorry for [leaving you] early" [but finally] saying it.

You always put off things for youself, giving help to anyone who needed it. Since you were that kind of friend, leaving us might be the first selfish thing you have done.

[NOTE: Not 100% sure on grammar for the 4th paragraph but it's basically about Iwata/ Itoi making plans to meet up and having meals together].

Anyhow..."see you soon" will be something that I will always say, no matter where. Whenever I want to ask for your advice or tell you about a good idea I had.

alright that one did it.I'm going to bed these can't take the feelings anymore

Last edited by a moderator:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy

That last sentence might just have hit the hardest out of all things I've read today.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Watched Vinesauce for a solid four or five hours during their charity stream tonight. If it's one thing to take away, they raised over 50k in children's cancer research. An uplifting note to a sad day.

Will always remember Iwata. Not just the silly "please understand" memes, but the fact that he was a legendary game developer and that Nintendo had a lot of good years under his oversight. The respect from other game companies gives me hope for the future of the game industry, and I hope people can learn to drop the console wars nonsense and just enjoy what they like and respect the work game developers put forth into their work :)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Watched Vinesauce for a solid four or five hours during their charity stream tonight. If it's one thing to take away, they raised over 50k in children's cancer research. An uplifting note to a sad day.

Will always remember Iwata. Not just the silly "please understand" memes, but the fact that he was a legendary game developer and that Nintendo had a lot of good years under his oversight. The respect from other game companies gives me hope for the future of the game industry, and I hope people can learn to drop the console wars nonsense and just enjoy what they like and respect the work game developers put forth into their work :)
It'd be amazing for Iwata's legacy in the afterlife to be for all companies to start practicing what he preached.

I don't see it happening, but it'd be truly amazing.

joetherocker

Smash Apprentice
Wrote a short story as a memorial type of thing, although it's super rough and needs another draft or two before it's presentable. The only other time I did that was when Ray Bradbury died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom