• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I know it hasn't been a long time since the last one, but I bring you my third Pokemon Ultra Moon update!
Team:
- Takumi
- Pearl
- ChuChu
- Loki
- Ribbon
- Cha
Current Location: Iki Town
Some evolutions happened, but otherwise the team formation hasn't changed.
I have cleared both Ilima's Trial in Verdant Cavern and Hala's Grand Dad Trial.
As I've described before, Ilima's trial was a complete joke, and while Hala was a bit difficult to defeat he wasn't that much of a challenge either.
I've also fought an Ultra Recon Squad member, and I have a feeling that these guys aren't gonna get a lot more interesting as the story progresses.
Pearl evolved randomly but Takumi had just enough expirience to evolve right after the Grand Trial (I'm a sucker for climactic endings so blame me for that :p).
I didn't catch that many Pokemon recently. The only one I can name off the top of my head is Noibat.
I don't think I'll keep Pearl in the long run. Hawlucha is already proving to be very useful and covers Flying as well Fighting (and gets stab from both), so unless Toucanon has some insane coverage moves Pearl will get benched.
Ribbon is also in danger of getting benched since I realized that I can get a Larvesta as soon as the next Island, and while I like Ribombee just fine... Volcarona is just better.
I'll wrap up buisness on Melemele tomorrow, and then I'll take the ferry to Akala Island.

Last edited by a moderator:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
How long/hard was that???
Because I'm a nerd and spent a few months studying it...

The Zelda 64 camera is exceedingly clever, easily the best designed camera of the entire n64/psone era, and the fact Nintendo got it so perfect so early in 3D gaming's lifespan is a testament to the quality of their designers.

In standard play, Link moves in polar space with the camera acting as the central pivot. This is in stark contrast to the way a lot of early 3D games calculated player movement and the chief reason why Zelda 64 feels so much better to move around in than other games of its kind. Essentially, Link can run forward and back, either pulling the camera toward him or pushing it away from him, to maintain the set distance. Most games do this. But Link cannot actually run from side to side. You can't run parallel to the camera, because the camera does not move side to side. It only turns. This means, whenever you're running to the left or right, you aren't actually moving in the world, you're simply encircling the camera as it rotates on a single point. Doing it this way prevents the player from getting lost in 3D space. You're chained down to a certain point and you can't go any further than it. If you want to actually move, you have to walk forward.

OR you can enter Z-targeting mode. This switches Link to a movement style more similar to other 3D games at the time, one where your movement is calculated in Cartesian space. Here the camera does move side to side and you can navigate the world with parallel movement. This method is intended to give more precise control when you need it, because its best used for micro-movements, but not macro ones.

And then you have the Z-target locked mode. Now this is where Nintendo's true genius comes into play. Now you're in a hybrid Cartesian/Polar setup, where Link moves in Cartesian space but the camera is on a free-pivot polar setup. This means that Link's forward and backward movement responds normally, but now his side-to-side movement acts differently from both the standard polar setup and the Z-held Cartesian setup. You don't move pure side to side, nor do you move purely in a circle. You move in a spiral. This makes combat super intuitive. Walking around an enemy that you've locked on to slowly walks you toward them, so that when you walk around an enemy to dodge their attack, you're left standing closer to them then you were originally, leaving you in a position where you can more easily land an attack. It's pure mechanical genius.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Because I'm a nerd and spent a few months studying it...

The Zelda 64 camera is exceedingly clever, easily the best designed camera of the entire n64/psone era, and the fact Nintendo got it so perfect so early in 3D gaming's lifespan is a testament to the quality of their designers.

In standard play, Link moves in polar space with the camera acting as the central pivot. This is in stark contrast to the way a lot of early 3D games calculated player movement and the chief reason why Zelda 64 feels so much better to move around in than other games of its kind. Essentially, Link can run forward and back, either pulling the camera toward him or pushing it away from him, to maintain the set distance. Most games do this. But Link cannot actually run from side to side. You can't run parallel to the camera, because the camera does not move side to side. It only turns. This means, whenever you're running to the left or right, you aren't actually moving in the world, you're simply encircling the camera as it rotates on a single point. Doing it this way prevents the player from getting lost in 3D space. You're chained down to a certain point and you can't go any further than it. If you want to actually move, you have to walk forward.

OR you can enter Z-targeting mode. This switches Link to a movement style more similar to other 3D games at the time, one where your movement is calculated in Cartesian space. Here the camera does move side to side and you can navigate the world with parallel movement. This method is intended to give more precise control when you need it, because its best used for micro-movements, but not macro ones.

And then you have the Z-target locked mode. Now this is where Nintendo's true genius comes into play. Now you're in a hybrid Cartesian/Polar setup, where Link moves in Cartesian space but the camera is on a free-pivot polar setup. This means that Link's forward and backward movement responds normally, but now his side-to-side movement acts differently from both the standard polar setup and the Z-held Cartesian setup. You don't move pure side to side, nor do you move purely in a circle. You move in a spiral. This makes combat super intuitive. Walking around an enemy that you've locked on to slowly walks you toward them, so that when you walk around an enemy to dodge their attack, you're left standing closer to them then you were originally, leaving you in a position where you can more easily land an attack. It's pure mechanical genius.
wow

I didn't know the camera was that good!!!! I never paid any attention as to how it was different :laugh:, but it is really interesting to hear this from someone who knows how brilliant the camera really is!!! It's fascinating that in standard play, the camera can only turn, and Link can't move from side to side!! Wowzers! I never knew that it was to prevent you from getting lost in 3D space!

And there's two other modes two???? Whaaaaaat? Z-Targeting mode allow him to move left/right and allows for more movement! But in Z-Target locked, the camera making combat more intuitive is also really cool!!! Wowowowowow! When you point all of this out, you are right that it's really impressive that they pulled all of this off early in 3D gaming!!

I didn't know that the camera serviced the player this much, and it's really cool to hear a breakdown of it! I never realized that even cameras can have so much depth into them! The world of gaming and coding truly does go over my head :'^)

but to be fair, what doesn't? :laugh:

D

Deleted member

I am shiny hunting right now.

If you are curious...

Ultra Sun:

Heart Gold:

Diamond:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think it's every little kid who played a video game too much's dream to make games. I mean, I was like that at one point.

And then I did a career project like three years ago and now I see a nuclear reactor and go "**** yeah im gonna do that".
its called nuclear engineering

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Every time I watch American's Funniest Home Videos and see the actor that plays Carlton, I keep wondering when he's going to break out to his Carlton Dance on the show lmao

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Looking at all this pokemon talk has had me consider re-playing one of the pokemon games. However, at the same time the rpg genre has fallen out of favor with me lately due to level grinding and all. I'll have to be in the right mood to play any one of the games again, and I'm not sure which one to pick if I were to get back into pokemon regularly. I still like the characters for sure, at least.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Shiny hunting in HeartGold/SoulSilver is actually super easy. Do you know of the Cute Charm glitch?
Wut

I've been playing Pokemon for TWENTY ****ing years and haven't ran into ONE ****ing shiny in the wild

...yet I caught several in Pokemon Go

Dafuq

D

Deleted member

I’m super tired right now, so I’ll just leave this here.

I do not want to play cheap. :V
Also getting those two IDS ten off or less sounds close to impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wut

I've been playing Pokemon for TWENTY ****ing years and haven't ran into ONE ****ing shiny in the wild

...yet I caught several in Pokemon Go

Dafuq
Just breed them shiny. That way you have control over moves, IV's, nature, etc.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I breed a unique shiny zubat to use in my HGSS game that was special based. Which I know isn't great but it's something I wanted to try. Crobat's got a special of 70

But he does have access to special attacks that are interesting and I did have an interesting run because of it

I think I had Heat Wave, Giga Drain, SLudge Bomb and Air Slash or something like that

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom