• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That's their default hair color, like Robin's white hair.
I suppose that’s fair but doesn’t make sense if robin has white hair. The genetics don’t make sense. Granted children normally wouldn’t have white hair but the same could be said for purple as well.
Do you even realise what would have happened if they gave Robin a canon partner?
I don’t know how many people would truly complain as they can still choose whoever in the actual game. Canon never mattered in fire emblem anyway :p. If there were complaints I’d sit and watch the chaos ensue though :p

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight

Can't wait for them to announce Smash Bro... Oh yeah, they already did...

I'm not too much into indies, but having as many games on the Switch as possible is always a good thing.
Cool, I'm looking forward to it. Can't wait to see what Indie games will be announced. Maybe we'll get Super Shovel Knight announced.

because 2B is infinitely better than layton.

has the swords, the moves, the booty. everything.
Who wants booty, when you can have a lovely gentlemen? :p

Although I prefer prim and proper Ladies, though

Also Layton way more likely, he's part of an up and coming game company. Though Jibnyaan may have stolen his chances, Youkai Watch is bigger then the Prof. Layton series now.

D

Deleted member

Have google help ya, sweetie
I suppose that’s fair but doesn’t make sense if robin has white hair. The genetics don’t make sense. Granted children normally wouldn’t have white hair but the same could be said for purple as well
FE is ****ting all about genetics and their hair color was always determined by the other parent.
They simply chose a default color that couldn't be achieved through normal means to avoid canon arguments.
I don’t know how many people would truly complain as they can still choose whoever in the actual game. Canon never mattered in fire emblem anyway :p. If there were complaints I’d sit and watch the chaos ensue though
A lot. Just look at all the arguments on who are the canon pairings of FE7. They'd only be bigger if Morgan was supposed to have canon parents.
This is probably my favorite one of this low effort meme:

That's what we call getting meta

Burruni

Smash Hero
On top of getting Star Allies, I bought Ever Oasis and the Chrom and Tiki amiibo for dirt cheap. Has anybody bought Ever Oasis and how did they like it? The demo was rather underwhelming in spite of its initial E3 2016 hype, but I still wanted to give it a chance.
Ever Oasis is a really mediocre game held up by the charming cutesy look to it and the realization that boomerangs/bolas are the most busted weapon in the game and everything else is a weaker DPS option.

Also Star Allies has just been me playing as B.Dee as soon as I got him, outside of puzzle needs.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Cool, I'm looking forward to it. Can't wait to see what Indie games will be announced. Maybe we'll get Super Shovel Knight announced.

Who wants booty, when you can have a lovely gentlemen? :p

Although I prefer prim and proper Ladies, though

Also Layton way more likely, he's part of an up and coming game company. Though Jibnyaan may have stolen his chances, Youkai Watch is bigger then the Prof. Layton series now.
Isnt the popularity of yokai watch dying in Japn and never had a chance in NA?

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Isnt the popularity of yokai watch dying in Japn and never had a chance in NA?
I wouldn't know, I don't live in Japan, plus we sure Youkai watch hasn't just settle down to the level of popularity that something like Metroid has round the world? That being its popular, it just doesn't get talked about unless new games come out?

You know, I honestly forgot just how good the lead in for the Elite 4 in Gen 5 was.

Also I'm just going to leave this here, you don't have to pay attention to this, but I have to point this out.

You know something that frustrates me a lot, when it comes to Smash Speculation, its people who constantly act like Smash Bros should add a bunch of 3rd party characters, and who keep forgetting that Smash is a celebration of Nintendo owned properties and not a celebration of games that appeared on Nintendo platforms.

What's even more annoying to me, is people who keep thinking Nintendo doesn't have any IPs left to pull from, when they do, and after all, we here have heard from certain people that Nintendo has still yet to put a character from one of their major B tier series, that being Advance Wars in Smash yet, let alone all the Retro reps they could add, plus characters from their successful handheld series, that weren't Pokemon, like Golden Sun for example.

Actually can anybody else think of successful handheld series that weren't Pokemon, Golden or a Mario spin-off?

Also for the hell of it, here are the 3rd party characters, from Major 3rd party publishers, who I think have a chance of getting in Smash:
From Level 5: Prof Layton or Jibnyaan (Its a toss up for me, cause Level 5 seems to have gone in hurt on Youkai Watch, but Layton does have more of a history then Youkai Watch right now)
Hudson Soft (RIP): Bomberman (Cause why not?)
Konami: Snake, just Snake. No I don't care about you Americans, who dream of having the Captain N reunion, I just want Snake back, because Snake was fun in Brawl
Ubisoft: Rayman (Cause Ubisoft isn't being a ****)
Square Enix (Enix side): A rep from Dragon Quest (No idea who, cause not sure which Protagonist would work best, I default to the first one, cause of status and grandfather clause, but still a toss up for me)

...Oh alright, I think Simon Belmont has a chance,but I still think it shouldn't happen, just so all you people who dream of that Capt. N reunion are forever doomed to never see it happen :p

Note: I left out Sega, Capcom and Namco cause they pretty much have all their major gaming icons in Smash, and I somehow I doubt they'd be cut in this upcoming Smash, Cloud is unknown to me, depends on how much Square wants for him this time. Plus to be Bayonetta represents Platinum more then Sega to me. Though I could see Namco getting someone else from another major series of theirs, I'm just not sure which one, could be the Tales of Series, could be someone else.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Tiger! Tiger! is trolling me hard, I got another Master Ether Mode and two other Light Core. Seriously, I like you Tiger! Tiger!, so why are you doing this to me?:sadeyes:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Star Allies is fun. I ****ing obliterated Whispy Woods so fast I was able to put the entire fight in the length of a video capture.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So I'm in a uh... Interesting position.

Dropped my friend/classmate off at a car dealership to pick up their car from the shop. I parked so I could wait for them to give me the A-OK so I could go home...

Aaaaand I found 150 dollars sitting next to my car door.

Asked around the lot to see if anyone dropped it and no one seemed to. So I've sat here waiting for 30 minutes to see if anyone came by looking... Still nothing.

So I went to the front desk of the dealership and gave them my number to call me if anyone came in reporting lost money.

I mean if this was just a 5 or something I could have just waited a bit and had that decide it but... This is a lot of money. Someone could need this.

So uh... Now I just wait for a week or so and see if I get a call.

Inb4 "That's mine actually thanks for finding it send it my way" comments

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Dropped my friend/classmate off at a car dealership to pick up their car from the shop. I parked so I could wait for them to give me the A-OK so I could go home...

Asked around the lot to see if anyone dropped it and no one seemed to. So I've sat here waiting for 30 minutes to see if anyone came by looking... Still nothing.

So I went to the front desk of the dealership and gave them my number to call me if anyone came in reporting lost money.

I mean if this was just a 5 or something I could have just waited a bit and had that decide it but... This is a lot of money. Someone could need this.

I would have just kept the money and not said anything.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I would have just kept the money and not said anything.
Again, maybe if it was a 5 or something I could do that, but I guess I'm just too nice of a guy.

I mean if no one calls within a week or so I'll just keep it but... It's weird.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Love how I managed to to set the thread on fire by saying I dug a fictional, animu characters look/style.

Git yo heds oot ah da guttah ya lameos!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Inb4 "That's mine actually thanks for finding it send it my way" comments
What surprises me the most is how no one claimed the money.

Seriously, I bet at least one person would've taken it even if it's not theirs.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
What surprises me the most is how no one claimed the money.

Seriously, I bet at least one person would've taken it even if it's not theirs.
Yeah, that's a risk I know I'm running. But I'd rather risk that then just take a big sum of money someone might actually need. It's not like I'm terribly stripped for money.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
2B lacks one major thing compared to Layton though: the history.

Layton has been around longer and is thus more iconic and easier to recognize.
That didn't stop bayo being more popular and getting in before Dante did it. :p

Smash 4 was all about the movesets. Something like shovel knight is actually pretty basic and more melee or brawl style moveset, when you compare to Shulk, Palutena, bowser jr etc etc. Samurai really wanted to make each character different and new that wasn't seen before and characters having built in moveset already helps a lot.

D

Deleted member

When you study for the test yesterday and you know you did good on the test today.
I feel really good. :)
Also I might play Minecraft again, well maybe.

And now I have to catch up on the posts in the Smash Speculation post and considering there is an Indie direct, uggh I have a lot of reading to do.
Indie Direct hype though!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, that's a risk I know I'm running. But I'd rather risk that then just take a big sum of money someone might actually need. It's not like I'm terribly stripped for money.
Well, not trying to show my greedy side, but, in a way, it might have been safer in your hands.

You don't know what kind of person could get that money. Better to have it in hands you can trust (yours) than a complete stranger's.

And if you still feel bad about using that money, give it to someone who you know needs it for a good reason or donate to charity.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Well, not trying to show my greedy side, but, in a way, it might have been safer in your hands.

You don't know what kind of person could get that money. Better to have it in hands you can trust (yours) than a complete stranger's.

And if you still feel bad about using that money, give it to someone who you know needs it for a good reason or donate to charity.
That's a plenty sound idea. I'll keep that in mind.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I wouldn't know, I don't live in Japan, plus we sure Youkai watch hasn't just settle down to the level of popularity that something like Metroid has round the world? That being its popular, it just doesn't get talked about unless new games come out?

You know, I honestly forgot just how good the lead in for the Elite 4 in Gen 5 was.

Also I'm just going to leave this here, you don't have to pay attention to this, but I have to point this out.

You know something that frustrates me a lot, when it comes to Smash Speculation, its people who constantly act like Smash Bros should add a bunch of 3rd party characters, and who keep forgetting that Smash is a celebration of Nintendo owned properties and not a celebration of games that appeared on Nintendo platforms.

What's even more annoying to me, is people who keep thinking Nintendo doesn't have any IPs left to pull from, when they do, and after all, we here have heard from certain people that Nintendo has still yet to put a character from one of their major B tier series, that being Advance Wars in Smash yet, let alone all the Retro reps they could add, plus characters from their successful handheld series, that weren't Pokemon, like Golden Sun for example.

Actually can anybody else think of successful handheld series that weren't Pokemon, Golden or a Mario spin-off?

Also for the hell of it, here are the 3rd party characters, from Major 3rd party publishers, who I think have a chance of getting in Smash:
From Level 5: Prof Layton or Jibnyaan (Its a toss up for me, cause Level 5 seems to have gone in hurt on Youkai Watch, but Layton does have more of a history then Youkai Watch right now)
Hudson Soft (RIP): Bomberman (Cause why not?)
Konami: Snake, just Snake. No I don't care about you Americans, who dream of having the Captain N reunion, I just want Snake back, because Snake was fun in Brawl
Ubisoft: Rayman (Cause Ubisoft isn't being a ****)
Square Enix (Enix side): A rep from Dragon Quest (No idea who, cause not sure which Protagonist would work best, I default to the first one, cause of status and grandfather clause, but still a toss up for me)

...Oh alright, I think Simon Belmont has a chance,but I still think it shouldn't happen, just so all you people who dream of that Capt. N reunion are forever doomed to never see it happen :p

Note: I left out Sega, Capcom and Namco cause they pretty much have all their major gaming icons in Smash, and I somehow I doubt they'd be cut in this upcoming Smash, Cloud is unknown to me, depends on how much Square wants for him this time. Plus to be Bayonetta represents Platinum more then Sega to me. Though I could see Namco getting someone else from another major series of theirs, I'm just not sure which one, could be the Tales of Series, could be someone else.
There's so much I disagree with this and I see it a ton.

Mainly that smash is a celebration of Nintendo characters. It isnti anymore. It's a celebration of Nintendo and gaming as a whole. Only the first game was a celebration of Nintendo. Melee wasn't supposed to just have ninty characters and that's only around 2 years since the initial celebration. That's the past, and smash 4 proves more than anything that's the case.

Those that "add a bunch of 3rd parties" on thier rosters also add a bunch of 1st parties, and it's ignorant to say otherwise or say that's wrong when ultimately it's thier wants. And the same can be said about people adding more retro characters than most, since thats thier interest. Nothing stopping hoping, you may disagree and debate but people can want whoever they want to and shouldn't be pressured into changing thier rosters.

I really don't think Advance wars is as high as B honestly but it's subjective. I count A being Mario Zelda Pokémon Mario kart, B series IPs like Splatoon, Kirby, DK, Metroid. C ones like Starfox Pikmin or Arms. Advance wars is only D or E imho....no way B. And the ones in D have IPs like Pushmo or Dillon that are more relevant.

DQ protagonist would most likely be from 7 since that's the most iconic one, similar to Cloud and Final Fantasy though the gap between DQ7s and others aren't as big imo.

Namco and especially Capcom still have a some icons up thier sleeve; Heihachi, Dante or Jill Valentine to name a few. While Square and Ubisoft shouldn't be limited to just Rayman and someone from Dragon Quest as possibilities when there are other IPs like Assassin's Creed which is obviously huge.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am going to play some Smash 4 to relax.. I have all my work done before I went home and I can finally go to sleep early, unlike yesterday where I got six hours of sleep ( better than last time ). I am not tired though.
I think my stress levels lowered a bit today.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Metroid's one of the worst examples you could've possibly picked for this comparison.

It's not really huge in Japan. The majority of its popularity comes from the West.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
layton also lacks something really improtant to me a non stop bangin ost
(seriously you cant tell me layton has a better sound track than automata)
also i ca easily think of a mvoeset for 2B layton has like one move i think think of
That didn't stop bayo being more popular and getting in before Dante did it. :p

Smash 4 was all about the movesets. Something like shovel knight is actually pretty basic and more melee or brawl style moveset, when you compare to Shulk, Palutena, bowser jr etc etc. Samurai really wanted to make each character different and new that wasn't seen before and characters having built in moveset already helps a lot.
See, I would argue Layton has a surprisingly large amount of moveset potential. You know how characters like Game & Watch, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer look like they don't have any moveset potential because they don't look like fighters and come from games that don't involve fighting, then you see how Sakurai managed to give them movesets. Layton would be exactly that kind of fighter.

Beyond his fencing capability, Layton can also use different elements from his series for his moveset. The magnifying glass, the exclamation mark when finding a puzzle, the hint coins would all be incorporated as attacks. They can range from Layton finding a hint coin, and the flip coin flipping into the air and dealing damage that way, to the exclamation point appearing above Layton and delivering damage to foes hit that way, or a magnifying glass being dragged out as a projectile. He can also use a camera to stun opponents in a manner similar to Mewtwo's Disable. He can even incorporate elements from various puzzles into his moveset, such as those stack-like moving blocks.

Layton can also make use of various inventions he created throughout the series. They can range from his coin-slot machine gun to his catapult made from a gate and a boat that can fling large stones. He can also use different gliders he created for his up-special, such as the glider made from a Pterodactyl fossil or a flying contraption made from a glider.

Here is my moveset idea that implements all those ideas I just described:

Basic Animations:

Walk: Layton would walk normally like he does in the games.

Run: A basic running animation. Visually, it resembles the scenes when he chased the Black Raven in Last Specter and the moment the Giant Float is about to collapse on him in Miracle Mask. He has the same running speed as Snake.

Jump: He lunges upward in the first jump. With his second jump, he curls his body, but it doesn't give him too much vertical distance. It is very similar to Snake's jumps, but Layton's up special makes up for it.

Fall: Layton holds onto his hat with one hand while his other arm is held out, slightly bent. He has relatively fast falling speed as he is a bit of a heavy weight.

Crouch: Layton bends with one knee while one arm rests on it.

Crawl: A basic crawling animation where Layton crawls with his knees and hands.

Shield: Layton grabs his hat with one hand, while his other arm is bent and hovers over his chest.

Roll: Instead of rolling, Layton slides to the outside of the stage. When returning back, he has one hand on the ground as he bends his body forward.

Side-step: Layton grabs his hat with one hand and moves toward the back of the stage with a surprised expression while his other arm extends far to the side.

Dizzy: Layton grabs his hat with one hand and stumbles from left to right.

Sleep: Layton sits down with his legs crossed while resting his head on one of his arms.

Swimming: Layton moves his arms similar to a breast-stroke pull.

Drowning: He lowers his hat over his eyes with one of his hands, while the other arm and his legs float helplessly in the water.

Idle Animations:

-Animation 1: Layton adjusts his hat.
-Animation 2: Layton holds his hand to his chin, taking a thinking position.
-Animation 3: Layton pouts his arms and slightly nods his head.

Launching scream: Layton screams, "Uuwaaahhh." It sounds similar to the scene when he tumbles with Luke through the forest in Azran Legacy.

KO scream: Layton screams, "Huaghh." It sounds exactly like his scream when Emmy crossed his path at the beginning of Last Specter.

Star KO scream: Sounds exactly like his scream from Azran Legacy when the beam of light was killing him.

Basic attacks:

Jab: Layton delivers a small slap with his right hand while raising his pinky (supposed to be a gentleman's slap).

Double Jab: The second jab is another gentleman's slap, but he uses his left hand instead.

Triple Jab: Layton pulls out a fencing sword and uses it like he's in a fencing match. It can lead into a repetitive jab, and the final blow is the finishing fencing move that touches the opponent.

Dash Attack: Layton pulls out a metallic pipe and slashes from left tor right. The attack manner is similar to Marth's dash attack.

Tilt Attacks:

Forward Tilt: Layton holds out his magnifying glass, and the tool gives the same orange tint just like it does in the games when you find something of interest (even producing the same sound effect). The moment when the magnifying glass turns orange is when damage is delivered.

Up Tilt: Layton takes an "a-ha" stance as the iconic red exclamation mark from the games appears above his head. This exclamation mark is what deals the damage, and it is his strongest tilt attack.

Down Tilt: Layton uses an archaeological hand pick and does a hammering animation using it.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Aerial: Layton grabs a camera by its strap and swings it around himself.

Forward Aerial: Layton uses the same metallic pipe and moves the pipe downward. Visually, the attack resembles Layton's first strike on Descole when Layton released himself from the Fossil Glider in Azran Legacy.

Back Aerial: Keats the Puzzle Cat emerges from Layton's coat, and the cat slashes foes from behind Layton's back before returning to his coat. During this animation, Layton watches Keats with a surprised expression and quickly helps Keats return back into his coat.

Up Aerial: Layton pulls out the toy robot from Miracle Mask and holds it above his head. The toy robot then does a small, upward jump from Layton's hand while moving its arms up. This attack has a dual-damaging effect where it can potentially deal two blows to the opponent. There is a sweet-spot at the robot's arms.

Down Aerial: Layton takes a shovel and stabs it toward the ground. The attack heavily resembles Link's down aerial, even having the same meteor spike if the opponent is hit by the sweet-spot.

Grabs:

Pummel: Layton knees his opponent.

Each of Layton's throws reference various puzzles throughout the series. In each throw, he releases his opponent and changes into a thinking position. Upon releasing his opponent, the throw takes place. After the throw finishes, he looks up with a grin on his face, just like when a puzzle is correctly solved. Think of it as if Layton uses his intellectual thoughts to attack the foe. It's like Layton is playing "mind-games" with his opponents!

Forward Throw: A small toy train (as seen from a bird's eye view) appears above Layton, moves toward the opponent, and latches onto him/her. The train quickly moves slightly forward then diagonally upward before disappearing and releasing the opponent. It mimics those "drag the line" puzzles where you need to get a chain to another side, usually involving trains of some sort.

Back Throw: Three pitchers appear in front of Layton. The opponent is then thrown between the pitchers as if he/she is being poured like milk. It mimics the milk puzzle from Curious Village.

Up Throw: Three rectangular blocks push the opponent upwards, with the final block releasing the opponent high. It's a weak attack with high knockback, mimicking those "drag the blocks to get a certain piece to the other side" puzzles that are very common throughout the series.

Down Throw: A tetris-shaped block pushes the opponent downward. A second one pushes the opponent in a direction behind Layton. The last piece pushes the opponent upward. This ultimately creates a rigid U-shaped throw. It mimics those "fix the pictures" puzzles that is akin to assembling a jigsaw puzzle, but the pieces are more tetris-shaped.

Smash Attacks:

Each of these attacks involve the Azran Keystone from Azran Legacy.

Forward Smash: Layton pulls out the Azran Keystone casually holding it to the side for the charging animation. Once he finishes charging, he extends his arm holding the Keystone in front of himself. The Keystone then delivers a shockwave-like blast that deals tremendous damage to foes. The blast looks exactly the same as the one that was produced from the device in the games.

Up Smash: It plays out almost identically to the forward smash. The only difference is that Layton holds the Keystone above his head for the finishing blow, and the blast deals vertical knockback.

Down Smash: Unlike the forward and up smashes, Layton puts the Azran Keystone on the ground and holds it there for the charging animation. Once fully charged, the Keystone emits the the same blast, only this time, it covers a 360 degree radius surrounding Layton.

Specials:

Standard Special - Coin-Slot Machine Gun: Layton pulls out the same gun of the same name he created in Unwound Future. He charges it then and fires a barrage of coins. The length of time it takes to fire the coins depends on your charge time. Layton can move left and right while firing his gun, but he cannot turn around while doing so. The barrage of coins has the same effect as firing multiple, small shots from the Super Scope, but unlike the Super Scope, you can combo into a grab by moving toward the foe as you fire coins to keep him/her stunned. The gun can fire for up to five seconds at most. You can't use it right away after the gun finishes firing because the next Layton uses the attack, he will dump a bag of coins to prepare for the next attack. It takes about one second for Layton to dump coins. Once he finishes doing so, you can charge and fire again.

Side Special - Hamster Attack: Layton throws an apple, and if it hits someone, it does a small amount of damage. If he uses the side special again, he will throw the hamster this time, and it will quickly run towards the apple. As the hamster runs, it can climb up walls similar to the Bombchu, and it can anyone in its path with small damage. Once it reaches the apple, the hamster eats it. If an opponent is right next to an apple, he/she will be trapped by the hamster as it eats the apple and wrack up damage with each bite. Basically, the hamster is biting the opponent's feet in the process. With the final bite, the opponent is launched with decent knock back.

Up Special - Globe Glider: Layton uses the Globe Glider he built from Curious Village. When utilizing it, he faces towards his front. The glider can travel very high and is easy to maneuver, similar to Snake and ROB's up specials. This attack makes up for Layton's low second jump, repeating a similar deal to Snake's recovery. The glider can also disrupt an opponent's up-special when it makes contact, but in doing so, the glider will lose control for a few seconds before Layton is forced to dislodge himself. This references the scene when the glider slightly touches Don Paolo's helicopter in Curious Village, disrupting it to the point Don Paolo is forced to flee. When his up special finishes, Layton is not rendered helpless.

Down Special - Stone Catapult: Layton pulls out the catapult he uses to take down Descole in Last Specter, but it has been scaled down to closely match his size. He charges the catapult toYou can charge the catapult so that two stones can be launched farther. The farther the stones are launched, the more knock back and damage they deal. The stones deal more damage if they hit a foe that is in the air.

Final Smash:

Deduction: A cinematic Final Smash that references the most iconic cutscene in every Layton game where the Professor identifies who the real culprit behind the crime was.

The Final Smash begins with Layton taking a thinking stance and saying, "Hmmm." A glint appears in front of Layton and covers a small yet decent range in front of him. If anyone is caught within the glint's range, the screen turns white.

The scene then changes to show several people, including the culprit, sitting around a table in an old-fashioned living room, with Layton standing behind them. The people are all shadowed save for the the opponent that was caught by the glint. While taking his classic thinking stance, Layton walks around the room and says, "Someone here was the mastermind behind this awful scheme." He then looks forward the opponent and does his signature point at him/her, telling the foe, "And that person was you!" At that moment, the opponent takes on a funny stunned animation, indicating their shock at being caught. The scene then returns to the battle, only this time, the caught foe is delivered a large amount of damage and knockback. That attack can KO as early as 50%.

If Layton caught two or more foes, the scene plays out like it normally does. The only difference is that Layton uses plural nouns at the respective moments. While walking around and thinking, he says "some people" instead of "someone," and when deducing the culprit, he says "those people" instead of "that person."

I can also imagine a nice Easter Egg where all the shadowed people are individuals that appeared in past Layton games.

Taunts:

Up Taunt: Layton adjusts his hat, then pouts his arms. As he pouts his arms, he says, "Every puzzle has an answer."

Side Taunt: Layton tips his hat forward and says, "A remarkable move!"

Down Taunt: Layton pulls out a cup of tea and drinks it.

Victory Animations:

The victory melody would be a more melodic version of the "Puzzle Solved" soundbite, heard in the video brought up with the first animation.

Animation 1: Layton puts his hand on his chin, closes his eyes and looks down, then looks back up at the camera. He follows with his signature point and says, "I've found the solution!" This entire animation plays out exactly like the "Puzzle Solved "bit after solving a puzzle. Here's a video for reference:

Remove the black stills that interrupt at the different intervals to make the whole animation more fluid, and that's how it would likely play out in Smash.

Animation 2: Layton adjusts his hat and says "A true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved." He finishes with a pout while smiling at the camera.

Animation 3: Layton brushes both arms of his coat as if he is removing dust. As he does so, he states, "That was quite the riveting match!" He then adjusts his coat by putting both hands on the zipper sides to tuck his coat up.

Losing Animation: A basic losing animation that involves Layton clapping towards his left side while holding a smile on his face.

I'd also recommend checking the Layton support thread if you want to read more ideas about how Layton could play out in Smash.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
rNintendoSwitch ran a poll of something close to 4000 votes about which franchises they wanted to see on the Switch that haven't been announced already.

The Top 5 (not including Smash Bros which was revealed after the poll had started) is as follows...

1. Animal Crossing
2. F-Zero
3. Mario Party
4. Paper Mario
5. Nintendo Wars

This is super exciting for me to see as you can already guess given the amount of series in this poll was close to 500. The fact that Wars would rank #5 on a huge Nintendo related subreddit like rNintendoSwitch is amazing. I know 4000 is still a rather small sample size in the grand scheme of the Switch's 13Mil+ user base but it's still something to see. Wars even managed to outdo the likes of Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Earthbound, Kid Icarus, and WarioWare which is incredible IMO. It makes me really optimistic.

In the same poll, Golden Sun managed to rank #16 which I guess is still a high ranking.

I figured a 3D DK game would have ranked in the Top 20 on this poll though.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
See, I would argue Layton has a surprisingly large amount of moveset potential. You know how characters like Game & Watch, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer look like they don't have any moveset potential because they don't look like fighters and come from games that don't involve fighting, then you see how Sakurai managed to give them movesets. Layton would be exactly that kind of fighter.

Beyond his fencing capability, Layton can also use different elements from his series for his moveset. The magnifying glass, the exclamation mark when finding a puzzle, the hint coins would all be incorporated as attacks. They can range from Layton finding a hint coin, and the flip coin flipping into the air and dealing damage that way, to the exclamation point appearing above Layton and delivering damage to foes hit that way, or a magnifying glass being dragged out as a projectile. He can also use a camera to stun opponents in a manner similar to Mewtwo's Disable. He can even incorporate elements from various puzzles into his moveset, such as those stack-like moving blocks.

Layton can also make use of various inventions he created throughout the series. They can range from his coin-slot machine gun to his catapult made from a gate and a boat that can fling large stones. He can also use different gliders he created for his up-special, such as the glider made from a Pterodactyl fossil or a flying contraption made from a glider.

Here is my moveset idea that implements all those ideas I just described:

Basic Animations:

Walk: Layton would walk normally like he does in the games.

Run: A basic running animation. Visually, it resembles the scenes when he chased the Black Raven in Last Specter and the moment the Giant Float is about to collapse on him in Miracle Mask. He has the same running speed as Snake.

Jump: He lunges upward in the first jump. With his second jump, he curls his body, but it doesn't give him too much vertical distance. It is very similar to Snake's jumps, but Layton's up special makes up for it.

Fall: Layton holds onto his hat with one hand while his other arm is held out, slightly bent. He has relatively fast falling speed as he is a bit of a heavy weight.

Crouch: Layton bends with one knee while one arm rests on it.

Crawl: A basic crawling animation where Layton crawls with his knees and hands.

Shield: Layton grabs his hat with one hand, while his other arm is bent and hovers over his chest.

Roll: Instead of rolling, Layton slides to the outside of the stage. When returning back, he has one hand on the ground as he bends his body forward.

Side-step: Layton grabs his hat with one hand and moves toward the back of the stage with a surprised expression while his other arm extends far to the side.

Dizzy: Layton grabs his hat with one hand and stumbles from left to right.

Sleep: Layton sits down with his legs crossed while resting his head on one of his arms.

Swimming: Layton moves his arms similar to a breast-stroke pull.

Drowning: He lowers his hat over his eyes with one of his hands, while the other arm and his legs float helplessly in the water.

Idle Animations:

-Animation 1: Layton adjusts his hat.
-Animation 2: Layton holds his hand to his chin, taking a thinking position.
-Animation 3: Layton pouts his arms and slightly nods his head.

Launching scream: Layton screams, "Uuwaaahhh." It sounds similar to the scene when he tumbles with Luke through the forest in Azran Legacy.

KO scream: Layton screams, "Huaghh." It sounds exactly like his scream when Emmy crossed his path at the beginning of Last Specter.

Star KO scream: Sounds exactly like his scream from Azran Legacy when the beam of light was killing him.

Basic attacks:

Jab: Layton delivers a small slap with his right hand while raising his pinky (supposed to be a gentleman's slap).

Double Jab: The second jab is another gentleman's slap, but he uses his left hand instead.

Triple Jab: Layton pulls out a fencing sword and uses it like he's in a fencing match. It can lead into a repetitive jab, and the final blow is the finishing fencing move that touches the opponent.

Dash Attack: Layton pulls out a metallic pipe and slashes from left tor right. The attack manner is similar to Marth's dash attack.

Tilt Attacks:

Forward Tilt: Layton holds out his magnifying glass, and the tool gives the same orange tint just like it does in the games when you find something of interest (even producing the same sound effect). The moment when the magnifying glass turns orange is when damage is delivered.

Up Tilt: Layton takes an "a-ha" stance as the iconic red exclamation mark from the games appears above his head. This exclamation mark is what deals the damage, and it is his strongest tilt attack.

Down Tilt: Layton uses an archaeological hand pick and does a hammering animation using it.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Aerial: Layton grabs a camera by its strap and swings it around himself.

Forward Aerial: Layton uses the same metallic pipe and moves the pipe downward. Visually, the attack resembles Layton's first strike on Descole when Layton released himself from the Fossil Glider in Azran Legacy.

Back Aerial: Keats the Puzzle Cat emerges from Layton's coat, and the cat slashes foes from behind Layton's back before returning to his coat. During this animation, Layton watches Keats with a surprised expression and quickly helps Keats return back into his coat.

Up Aerial: Layton pulls out the toy robot from Miracle Mask and holds it above his head. The toy robot then does a small, upward jump from Layton's hand while moving its arms up. This attack has a dual-damaging effect where it can potentially deal two blows to the opponent. There is a sweet-spot at the robot's arms.

Down Aerial: Layton takes a shovel and stabs it toward the ground. The attack heavily resembles Link's down aerial, even having the same meteor spike if the opponent is hit by the sweet-spot.

Grabs:

Pummel: Layton knees his opponent.

Each of Layton's throws reference various puzzles throughout the series. In each throw, he releases his opponent and changes into a thinking position. Upon releasing his opponent, the throw takes place. After the throw finishes, he looks up with a grin on his face, just like when a puzzle is correctly solved. Think of it as if Layton uses his intellectual thoughts to attack the foe. It's like Layton is playing "mind-games" with his opponents!

Forward Throw: A small toy train (as seen from a bird's eye view) appears above Layton, moves toward the opponent, and latches onto him/her. The train quickly moves slightly forward then diagonally upward before disappearing and releasing the opponent. It mimics those "drag the line" puzzles where you need to get a chain to another side, usually involving trains of some sort.

Back Throw: Three pitchers appear in front of Layton. The opponent is then thrown between the pitchers as if he/she is being poured like milk. It mimics the milk puzzle from Curious Village.

Up Throw: Three rectangular blocks push the opponent upwards, with the final block releasing the opponent high. It's a weak attack with high knockback, mimicking those "drag the blocks to get a certain piece to the other side" puzzles that are very common throughout the series.

Down Throw: A tetris-shaped block pushes the opponent downward. A second one pushes the opponent in a direction behind Layton. The last piece pushes the opponent upward. This ultimately creates a rigid U-shaped throw. It mimics those "fix the pictures" puzzles that is akin to assembling a jigsaw puzzle, but the pieces are more tetris-shaped.

Smash Attacks:

Each of these attacks involve the Azran Keystone from Azran Legacy.

Forward Smash: Layton pulls out the Azran Keystone casually holding it to the side for the charging animation. Once he finishes charging, he extends his arm holding the Keystone in front of himself. The Keystone then delivers a shockwave-like blast that deals tremendous damage to foes. The blast looks exactly the same as the one that was produced from the device in the games.

Up Smash: It plays out almost identically to the forward smash. The only difference is that Layton holds the Keystone above his head for the finishing blow, and the blast deals vertical knockback.

Down Smash: Unlike the forward and up smashes, Layton puts the Azran Keystone on the ground and holds it there for the charging animation. Once fully charged, the Keystone emits the the same blast, only this time, it covers a 360 degree radius surrounding Layton.

Specials:

Standard Special - Coin-Slot Machine Gun: Layton pulls out the same gun of the same name he created in Unwound Future. He charges it then and fires a barrage of coins. The length of time it takes to fire the coins depends on your charge time. Layton can move left and right while firing his gun, but he cannot turn around while doing so. The barrage of coins has the same effect as firing multiple, small shots from the Super Scope, but unlike the Super Scope, you can combo into a grab by moving toward the foe as you fire coins to keep him/her stunned. The gun can fire for up to five seconds at most. You can't use it right away after the gun finishes firing because the next Layton uses the attack, he will dump a bag of coins to prepare for the next attack. It takes about one second for Layton to dump coins. Once he finishes doing so, you can charge and fire again.

Side Special - Hamster Attack: Layton throws an apple, and if it hits someone, it does a small amount of damage. If he uses the side special again, he will throw the hamster this time, and it will quickly run towards the apple. As the hamster runs, it can climb up walls similar to the Bombchu, and it can anyone in its path with small damage. Once it reaches the apple, the hamster eats it. If an opponent is right next to an apple, he/she will be trapped by the hamster as it eats the apple and wrack up damage with each bite. Basically, the hamster is biting the opponent's feet in the process. With the final bite, the opponent is launched with decent knock back.

Up Special - Globe Glider: Layton uses the Globe Glider he built from Curious Village. When utilizing it, he faces towards his front. The glider can travel very high and is easy to maneuver, similar to Snake and ROB's up specials. This attack makes up for Layton's low second jump, repeating a similar deal to Snake's recovery. The glider can also disrupt an opponent's up-special when it makes contact, but in doing so, the glider will lose control for a few seconds before Layton is forced to dislodge himself. This references the scene when the glider slightly touches Don Paolo's helicopter in Curious Village, disrupting it to the point Don Paolo is forced to flee. When his up special finishes, Layton is not rendered helpless.

Down Special - Stone Catapult: Layton pulls out the catapult he uses to take down Descole in Last Specter, but it has been scaled down to closely match his size. He charges the catapult toYou can charge the catapult so that two stones can be launched farther. The farther the stones are launched, the more knock back and damage they deal. The stones deal more damage if they hit a foe that is in the air.

Final Smash:

Deduction: A cinematic Final Smash that references the most iconic cutscene in every Layton game where the Professor identifies who the real culprit behind the crime was.

The Final Smash begins with Layton taking a thinking stance and saying, "Hmmm." A glint appears in front of Layton and covers a small yet decent range in front of him. If anyone is caught within the glint's range, the screen turns white.

The scene then changes to show several people, including the culprit, sitting around a table in an old-fashioned living room, with Layton standing behind them. The people are all shadowed save for the the opponent that was caught by the glint. While taking his classic thinking stance, Layton walks around the room and says, "Someone here was the mastermind behind this awful scheme." He then looks forward the opponent and does his signature point at him/her, telling the foe, "And that person was you!" At that moment, the opponent takes on a funny stunned animation, indicating their shock at being caught. The scene then returns to the battle, only this time, the caught foe is delivered a large amount of damage and knockback. That attack can KO as early as 50%.

If Layton caught two or more foes, the scene plays out like it normally does. The only difference is that Layton uses plural nouns at the respective moments. While walking around and thinking, he says "some people" instead of "someone," and when deducing the culprit, he says "those people" instead of "that person."

I can also imagine a nice Easter Egg where all the shadowed people are individuals that appeared in past Layton games.

Taunts:

Up Taunt: Layton adjusts his hat, then pouts his arms. As he pouts his arms, he says, "Every puzzle has an answer."

Side Taunt: Layton tips his hat forward and says, "A remarkable move!"

Down Taunt: Layton pulls out a cup of tea and drinks it.

Victory Animations:

The victory melody would be a more melodic version of the "Puzzle Solved" soundbite, heard in the video brought up with the first animation.

Animation 1: Layton puts his hand on his chin, closes his eyes and looks down, then looks back up at the camera. He follows with his signature point and says, "I've found the solution!" This entire animation plays out exactly like the "Puzzle Solved "bit after solving a puzzle. Here's a video for reference:

Remove the black stills that interrupt at the different intervals to make the whole animation more fluid, and that's how it would likely play out in Smash.

Animation 2: Layton adjusts his hat and says "A true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved." He finishes with a pout while smiling at the camera.

Animation 3: Layton brushes both arms of his coat as if he is removing dust. As he does so, he states, "That was quite the riveting match!" He then adjusts his coat by putting both hands on the zipper sides to tuck his coat up.

Losing Animation: A basic losing animation that involves Layton clapping towards his left side while holding a smile on his face.

I'd also recommend checking the Layton support thread if you want to read more ideas about how Layton could play out in Smash.
I wasn't saying he doesn't have moveset potential, just was saying the type of movesets. Simple punches/kicks or weapon slashes just don't cut it anymore - there has to be something more. Inklings ink meter and ink turf mechanics are something that counts as more. Shulks Monado powers are more. Rosalina's puppet is more etc. This more thing goes for most of Smash4 newcomers. This is why I believe we didn't see highly requested newcomers like K Rool or Bandana Dee. Also I dont know anything about Laytons moveset but i imagined him somewaht like villager with lots of different things or like Wright in some other fighting game.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
rNintendoSwitch ran a poll of something close to 4000 votes about which franchises they wanted to see on the Switch that haven't been announced already.

The Top 5 (not including Smash Bros which was revealed after the poll had started) is as follows...

1. Animal Crossing
2. F-Zero
3. Mario Party
4. Paper Mario
5. Nintendo Wars

This is super exciting for me to see as you can already guess given the amount of series in this poll was close to 500. The fact that Wars would rank #5 on a huge Nintendo related subreddit like rNintendoSwitch is amazing. I know 4000 is still a rather small sample size in the grand scheme of the Switch's 13Mil+ user base but it's still something to see. Wars even managed to outdo the likes of Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Earthbound, Kid Icarus, and WarioWare which is incredible IMO. It makes me really optimistic.

In the same poll, Golden Sun managed to rank #16 which I guess is still a high ranking.

I figured a 3D DK game would have ranked in the Top 20 on this poll though.
Nintendo Land over Tomb Raider...I don't get the Nintendo fanbase sometimes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom