• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
It was.

It was.

No.

Plastic.

Sure.

But I've gotta be sassy, it's in my contract.
People who didn't know Peter Cushing was dead (or, bless them, didn't even know who he was in the first place) were fooled by the effect.

The thing about CG is when you KNOW it can't be true, you instinctively look for flaws. If you don't know ahead of time it can't be true, the effect often goes completely unnoticed. Just consider how many stunts these days are done with completely CGI doubles of the actors.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So quick question:
After a while, who went up searching for reactions to the K. Rool trailer, just to see how they reacted to Dedede's trolling?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
RE: Stage topic;

I forgot that there was also a new Monster Hunter stage shown off in this Direct. So it looks like there will be stages released after the game launches.

So newcomers from new series aren't as unlikely as I thought. Thank goodness.

D

Deleted member

So quick question:
After a while, who went up searching for reactions to the K. Rool trailer, just to see how they reacted to Dedede's trolling?
It made my inner self smile.
I was not laughing in joy, but I was chuckling. I just loved it though. Perfection.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
People who didn't know Peter Cushing was dead (or, bless them, didn't even know who he was in the first place) were fooled by the effect.

The thing about CG is when you KNOW it can't be true, you instinctively look for flaws. If you don't know ahead of time it can't be true, the effect often goes completely unnoticed. Just consider how many stunts these days are done with completely CGI doubles of the actors.
I think the thing that did it for me wasn't so much the model as a whole as the animations, possibly the expressions.

Been a while since I watched the scene, so old impressions we're running with here, but it just hit some kind of uncanny valley note for me, like in a "I'm reasonably sure people's faces don't quite do that" kind of way. It was close, so very close, that the bits they missed just screamed at me.

Only going to give it gentle jabs, though. Still a damn better option than either recasting the actor or pulling Tarkin 100%.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good night, NintenZone.
That direct was amazing! I am crossing my fingers for "Spirits" to be a Brawl like Adventure Mode.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I think the thing that did it for me wasn't so much the model as a whole as the animations, possibly the expressions.

Been a while since I watched the scene, so old impressions we're running with here, but it just hit some kind of uncanny valley note for me, like in a "I'm reasonably sure people's faces don't quite do that" kind of way. It was close, so very close, that the bits they missed just screamed at me.

Only going to give it gentle jabs, though. Still a damn better option than either recasting the actor or pulling Tarkin 100%.
But you knew ahead of time it couldn't possibly be a real person, right? Because you'd know that the actor who played Tarkin 40 years ago couldn't possibly be playing him now. That's kind of what I'm getting at. Those imperfections become obvious because your brain is desperately seeking anything to tell you what you're seeing isn't real, because you know it can't be. Many people won't even notice them if they have no reason to doubt the reality of the person they're looking at.

For me, personally, no matter how good the model is, it still didn't sound anything like Cushing, tho, which ruins some of the magic for me.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
But you knew ahead of time it couldn't possibly be a real person, right? Because you'd know that the actor who played Tarkin 40 years ago couldn't possibly be playing him now.
I admit an article had to spoil me in advance, or else I may well not have.

tenor.png

I ain't proud, but I'm honest.

That's kind of what I'm getting at. Those imperfections become obvious because your brain is desperately seeking anything to tell you what you're seeing isn't real, because you know it can't be. Many people won't even notice them if they have no reason to doubt the reality of the person they're looking at.
I don't remember the name of the effect you're referencing but yeah, I'm picking up what you're putting down, and my experience definitely would've been colored by it.

Thing is though, we got an alternate example here as well. I know Carrie Fisher was 40 years off the time she played Leia in the original trilogy, but her de-aged doppleganger version at the end of Rogue One didn't make me bat an eye.

Now some of the comments of that video have said that's because they basically didn't try to capture Fisher's je ne sais quoi the same way they did Cushing's, and that I'll grant. Perhaps because they didn't try anything too crazy acting-wise and we didn't have much time with the constructed Leia there was less to pick up on.

Still, it's the experience I had, y'know?

For me, personally, no matter how good the model is, it still didn't sound anything like Cushing, tho, which ruins some of the magic for me.
That's something Guy Henry talked about being particularly afraid of.

Feel like he did alright, though. Think I'd have to sit there and watch clips side-by-side for it to get to me.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Thing is though, we got an alternate example here as well. I know Carrie Fisher was 40 years off the time she played Leia in the original trilogy, but her de-aged doppleganger version at the end of Rogue One didn't make me bat an eye.
I see. You're one of those people. Lol, I think the Leia effect is so much worse than the Tarkin one, but this seems to be pretty split down the middle.

That's something Guy Henry talked about being particularly afraid of.

Feel like he did alright, though. Think I'd have to sit there and watch clips side-by-side for it to get to me.
I can recite the first film by heart, there's no pulling the wool over my, uh, ears.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I see. You're one of those people. Lol, I think the Leia effect is so much worse than the Tarkin one, but this seems to be pretty split down the middle.
Didn't know there were, like...camps. Do we have meetings? Are refreshments provided? Free buffet?

...I haven't eaten yet, aight?

Anyway. Only thing I know is which one got me and which one didn't. But pound for pound I'm glad to give it that if it wasn't a perfect run, it's still an incredible demonstration of the tech.

I can recite the first film by heart, there's no pulling the wool over my, uh, ears.
But that's like.

Literally where the wool goes.

61LWpDzGgZL._UX522_.jpg

That's where it goes, fam.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
Another questionnaire, but much shorter and simpler.

What’s your favorite non-electronic game?
What’s your favorite insult?
What’s your dream job?
What’s your favorite color?
Who’s your favorite competitive Smash player?
Who’s your idol?
Who’s your celebrity crush?
Who’s your animated crush?

My answers:

Yu-Gi-Oh.
More worthless than the “ueue” in “queue.”
Game Designer, of course.
Electric Indigo.
VoiD.
Michael Jackson.
Bryan Dechart.
Lyn from Fire Emblem.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

What’s your dream job?
Who’s your idol?

My answers:

Yu-Gi-Oh.
Electric Indigo.
VoiD.
Michael Jackson.
Bryan Dechart.
Lyn from Fire Emblem.
Apples to Apples
You don't wanna know...
Music producer
Red
aMSa (of course it is :yoshi:)
:yoshi:
I don't have one
:yoshi:(non-romantic. Just want to lay that out...)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Have you ever ironically added something to your vocabulary but used it so many times it unironically became part of your vocabulary?

Natz~

Full of Hugs and Fire~
whelp so now that katt has some down time to get to, i finally decided to get back to the nintenzone rimworld colony

and well....

ya its been a long time and i need to readjust what the hell i was in the middle of :V

also had some stuff down for a log that i never completed before my own personal **** hit the fan of busy busniness happend :V

so i present a half log just to display stuff i have no idea what the hell it is just for the purpose of not abandoning what i already took
this is a personal catch up for me really, as i remember near jack ****
Untitled1.png

ok, apparenlty red is completely exhausted in the middle of the night for some reason, uuuuuh usually is his wake up time so not sure why or what kept him awake for so long

guess something big happened that kept him awake during his sleeping time of broad day light :V...oh right that raid, he stayed up for the raid and crapped out cause of lack of sleep, huh
Untitled2.png

this i have less of an answer for :V for some reason lily just went around and insulted woomy heavily apparenlty, no clue why, not even sure, it happened cause i took a pic weeks ago, checking their relationship their still good friends apparenlty? hell cori doesn't even seem that insulted despite taking what look 6 insults over who knows when
Untitled3.png

oh right, our baby snake died, rip buckos legacy, she still have two more but that still sucks, a cobra ate her so...meh
Untitled4.png

and ya there was an infestation i remember, we didn't get to it immediately as two of our best fighters are still out, checking it we gotta get into it in the next 2 days or it'll grow bigger, see a lotta megaspiders around it and a few scarabs soooo...dangerous ****

Untitled5.png

oooooh yaaaa, that tribe were hostile with sent us peace allegations again, think they don't want to mess with us after we destroyed their raid and took prisoners hostage

honestly this one is much more favorable, as i was planning to send uni out to do some trading anyway and its only a day away, i see merit in this one but could still be a trap :V

i'm just gonna let those who actually wanna bother reading this catch up log for myself decide if its worth it or not, no tags for this throwaway log really, uni was gonna go part way there anyway so its not an hindrance at all, so its just on the possibility uni would do more harm than good or its a trap for us, uni is a good negotiator so he'll be able to have advantage if its real

and thats about it, gonna start back on up the logs soon :V

What’s your dream job?
Who’s your idol?

My answers:

Yu-Gi-Oh.
Electric Indigo.
VoiD.
Michael Jackson.
Bryan Dechart.
Lyn from Fire Emblem.
heeeey katt missed the first, not sure if ya can dig it up but if the first questionnaire is out there katt wouldn't mind answering that :V

toughie really, katt loves card games a lot, from tcg yu-gi-oh and magic the gathering to screw around with friends like cards against humanity and exploding kittens

probably swears :V

something i can be lazy in lol

don't follow competitive smash so i have no idea :V

honestly probs sound odd but i look up to my brother a lot

**** celebrities

meh don't really have one :V

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
ok, apparenlty red is completely exhausted in the middle of the night for some reason
guess something big happened that kept him awake during his sleeping time
I can pull innuendo out of every last one of these.

It's amazing.

i'm just gonna let those who actually wanna bother reading this catch up log for myself decide if its worth it or not
Eh.

What the hell, we're in the neighborhood.

honestly probs sound odd but i look up to my brother a lot
D'awwwwwww.

That's so adorable I'm tagging LoneKonWolf LoneKonWolf .

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I saw the worst thing in the world on /vp/

1533596886157.png
The horror.

But then again

Misty.png
:love:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
The benefit of being hyped about newcomers is that I end finding new remixes of their themes

Richter best Hokage

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
You know Opossum Opossum you might be onto something with Isabelle being a unique character and not an echo.

Thinking over the direct and the leaks I have some thoughts.

For one why not throw Isabelle in the echo section first? She slaughters the popularity of Dark Samus and maybe even Chrom. If she was an echo I can’t see why she wouldn’t be the front runner.

Now let’s look at vergbin. He claimed Simon Belmont but no richter? That’s odd if they shared a trailer. This leads me to believe the sources of these leaks do not have access to the echo list. Otherwise Richter should absolutely have been known by the sources for these leaks.

On top of that every other character named by leakers was unique. So if Isabelle was an echo why didn’t they have info on the other echos who were obvious? The answer?

Perhaps the source of these rumors is withholding Echos due to some not being final and perhaps the amount of them or they simply weren’t told. Especially since third parties are game. And those are likely meant to be surprises. It sounds like that not just everybody can learn of these echos at Nintendo.
So it could be pretty likely Isabelle is a fully unique newcomer and that explains her abscense from what many expected to happen.

We may very well see her in fully fleshed out. Thoughts everyone?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You know Opossum Opossum you might be onto something with Isabelle being a unique character and not an echo.

Thinking over the direct and the leaks I have some thoughts.

For one why not throw Isabelle in the echo section first? She slaughters the popularity of Dark Samus and maybe even Chrom. If she was an echo I can’t see why she wouldn’t be the front runner.

Now let’s look at vergbin. He claimed Simon Belmont but no rickhet? That’s odd if they shared a trailer. This leads time to believe the sources of these leaks do not have access to the echo list. Otherwise Rickhet should absolutely have been known by the sources for these leaks.

On top of that every other character named by leakers was unique. So if Isabelle was an echo why didn’t they have info on the other echos who were obvious? The answer?

Perhaps the source of these rumors is withholding Echos due to some not being final and perhaps the amount of them or they simply weren’t told. Especially since third parties are game. And those are likely meant to be surprises. It sounds like that not just everybody can learn of these echos at Nintendo.
So it could be pretty likely Isabelle is a fully unique newcomer and that explains her abscense from what many expected to happen.

We may very well see her in fully fleshed out. Thoughts everyone?
I think you need to never try to spell Richter again.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Misspielling Ricochet's name will become a running gag here, right?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The meme names don't really hurt. Now saying Rickter? That hurts my existence.

D

Deleted member

What's up guys? I know I said I'm going on hiatus, but I forgot to mention that I'll be visiting whenever there's anything new about Smash.
Anyway, I obviously watched the direct, and I'm here to tell you my thoughts about it.
  • Simon Belmont wasn't really a surprise. I still refuse to believe Vergeben, I thought he was likely anyway due to Konami being on board and Sakurai saying that he's a Castlevania fan. Don't really care for Simon himself, aside from the fact he brings some sweet Castlevania music with him.
  • Richter was very out of left field, I think I prefer him to Simon, and I'd honestly prefer it if it were just him because he opened a can of worms that allows Shadow to be added (I'm basically 100% sure he's coming ugh).
  • Also I think we can all agree that Sakurai has proven himself to be a massive Castlevania fanboy.... just look at how much love he's given to the
  • Chrom is here, fittingly saying "anything can change" in his Final Smash. Congrats Opossum Opossum
  • UUUUUUUUGGGGGHHH DARK SAMUS EW. "You may have seen this coming," Sakurai said. Oh, you have no idea.
  • So you CAN have Echoes in the same slots as the fighters they copy! Hell yeah!
  • FOUNTAIN OF DREAMS IS BACK!!!!!!!!
  • R.I.P Captain Toad, you won't be missed.
  • MIMIKYU DISCONFIRMED. I ****ING WON.
  • R.I.P Shovel Knight though.
  • Ashley too.
  • That mysterious is mode is definitely a story mode, calling it now.
  • Aaaaand King K. Rool is finally here!
  • Lastly, I can't believe Luigi ****ing died.
Overall, good direct. Not massively excited about any of the characters announced (though I'm not really against any of them aside from Dark Samus, who I got over quickly), but I enjoyed the announcements nonetheless.
Also, I still believe Decidueye has a chance. You can't change my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
So, almost 24 hours have passed since the direct, and Im still at disbelief tbh.
I was more focused on memeing today than reacting here, but behind the computer I was happy af.

Anyway.

-Simon ****ing Belmont: Castlevania was pretty much one of my first experiences in gaming, probably the second/third ever, as I only played Mario and Duck Hunt before my brother got a SNES with SCIV and SFII.
Went from the colorful worlds of Mushroom Kingdom to the baroque and intimidating stages of Dracula's domains. I loved that experience and pretty much spent a majority of my childhood playing mostly that game; going from being legit afraid of Dracula to memorizing item and enemy spawn locations made me realize that platformer is my ****ing jam.

Not so many years ago I finally got the chance of playing Dracula X Chronicles on PSP, which contained the original Rondo Of Blood and immediately became one of my favorites too as it reminded me to git gud; lost the 8 directional whip of IV and gained a sick backflip, prompting me to remember how to be precise in these kind of games.
So yeah, Richter saving Simon and dropping a variation of his famous SotN line sent my jaw underground.

I spent the whole day listening Castlevania songs with the biggest **** eating grin ever.

If Mythra didn't exist I would guarantee you Simon would be my most wanted newcomer....AND NOW HE'S HERE WITH RICHTER TOO, MOTHER****ERS.

Definite Mainest of Mains

-I always wanted a mode where I could switch character on every stock to show my wide array of waif-...mains

-RIP Ashley

-Now Chrom, after years of being the butt of the joke for being punched out of Smash 4, dude made it. Being an echo of Roy is hilarious as Roy was a clone originally, but having some moves from Ike is a nice mixup.

Playing FEH made me explore and appreciate many of the characters and he's no exception.
20,000 feathers are waiting for him when I regain access to the game.

-The selection of new Pokémon seemed small to me, but at least Alola gets a nice representation and further fuels the speculation of a starter newcomer imo

-Imma select Final Destination to morph into Omega Final Destination to show how ****in serious I am.

-Im indifferent about Dank Samus as I haven't fully played a Metroid, but seeing the series getting more reps is always nice.

-Rathalos is too big

-Brinstar Depths is such a bull**** stage in Melee... so Im glad it is back.

-Can't wait for that blurred hentai mode

-Now K. Rool, dude never grew on me despite I played DKC, but maaan that trailer was pure gold, from the Kongs reactions, to Sakurai using a character he voices to troll us for a moment to that epic clash at the end.

-The big picture progressively adding the new fighters is pretty neat, hope it keeps growing much more.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Why though
I really don't think Richter has any good reason to be in the game. He feels like a completely random choice tacked on just because "he used Simon's moves before Simon did."

I also didn't want any new FE characters, but especially not one from a game that already has its deuteragonist and tritagonist playable.

These two are really taking advantage of the whole Echoing concept, but I prefer characters being added for reasons other than being an easy copy of somebody else.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
These two are really taking advantage of the whole Echoing concept
Eh.

Richter might be mashpotato nepotism but after Simon ****ing Belmont and the deluge of Castlevania love overall (look me in the eyes and tell me they didn't break their asses backwards on Dracula's Castle) I'll give it a pass.

People wanted Chrom and this got him in, and the fact that he echoes more than one character demonstrates that Echo Fighters can have multiple influences, which itself is a hype concept and opens a whole new floor of speculation. Those reasons alone justify him to me.

I'd say Dark Samus felt kinda tacked to me, but now that Rids is on board you're kind of hard up for Metroid reps at this point without making fresh movesets for the Hunters or something, which takes serious dev and playtesting time. Plus people wanted her. I suppose. I never completed the Prime trilogy, I missed the memo on where her hype stems from.

Overall, if they're taking advantage of it...good. Bring me more.

You wanna be mad about something roster wise though, I gotchu.

Take a look at Alucard, Zero, Shovel Knight, and Knux.

Then tell me how comparatively little a push they would've needed to hit that playable character mark.

Guarantee there's not an Echo in the roster to blame for any of em. Someone just couldn't finish or balance the movepool in time.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Alright. I've recovered from yesterday's hype fest, so here are my thoughts.

- Simon being confirmed wasn't surprising. Verg, even if I'm wary of his words lately, has been right about a lot of stuff about his leak, so his content was notable enough to be considered a possibility. Was still hype tho.
- Richter, on the other hand, was pretty surprising. And here I thought Sonic would be the first third-party franchise with two characters.
- Alucard Assist Trophy! Konami's really being ****ing generous with Castlevania content!
- 34 CASTLEVANIA SONGS! 34! CASTLEVANIA! SONGS! HOLY MOTHER OF ****, BEST SMASH SOUNDTRACK EVER!
- HOLY ****, THAT STAGE LOOKS ****ING BEAUTIFUL AND IT'S GOT SO MANY NPCS!!!
- DRACULA LOOKS HYPE!
- Chrom was initially dissapointing to me... until I saw he was a Roy Echo with one of Ike's specials. Echoes don't need to be 1:1 as long as every move rips off someone's and that's actually made me warm up to the concept of Echoes since not every new Echo will be identical copies like Richter and Pittoo. He also probably has the same thing as Lucina by dealing the same damage through the whole blade, which basically makes him better :V
- Dark Samus looks pretty damn cool, not gonna lie. Also, second Metroid newcomer. Jesus, Sakurai, you're really pleasing the crowds here.
- lol'd at the ability to stack Echoes in their original character's spot. Now, no one can say an Echo stole a spot :^)
- 103 STAGES! WHAT THE HECK?! THAT'S LITERALLY TWICE AS MANY AS SMASH WII U AND IT'S INSANE!
- FOUNTAIN OF DREAMS! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!
- BRINSTAR DEPTHS! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!
- Still no Poke Floats
- Still no Pac-Maze
- FINAL SMASH CAN BE A METER NOW! :awesome:
- RULESETS ARE SAVED, THAT'S SO GREAT!
- STAGE MORPH LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH ****ING FUN!
- Squad Battle is literally a crew fight mode, so they're basically throwing more bones to the competitive scene
- Shashdown is brilliant. It's gonna be so much fun to **** around in it.
- Death's Scythe and the Staff look like fun items :p
- lol they called it Rage Blaster. Guess the Rage mechanic is officially called Rage now instead of being a fan name :p
- FE gets an item too now :V
- The Ramblin' Evil Mushroom is so damn funny of an item. Time to mashroomize people :V
- Alolan Exeggutor was lol
- Mimikyu deconfirmed. Nice. :p
- THEY MADE DITTO A THING! TOOK THEM 17 YEARS BUT THEY DID IT!
- Zero Assist Trophy was hype
- I laughed when I saw Kapp'n. He gonna take you in his bus. Next stop? DEATH! :laugh:
- Klaptrap was hype because DK never got an Assist Trophy. Now... Rambi when? :p
- lol Chef Kawasaki
- Nikki must've made AEMehr lose his **** :laugh:
- OH MY MOTHER****ING GOD, THAT WAS SHOVEL KNIGHT! :surprised:
- HOLY MOTHER OF ****, THE ****ING MOON FROM MAJORA'S MASK! WHAT THE ****?!
- Ashley is an Assist again... guess WarioWare gets no newcomers then :V
- Rathalos... Mother****ing Rathalos... as a "too big" Assist Trophy :V
- But he also said he was a boss... and on that so-called Monster Hunter stage, there was only one player... perhaps this is related to the mysterious mode?
- Menu looks great at first glance... then again, they only showed the Smash option. The rest is probably a mess :V
- WAS THAT K. ROOL?! ... Oh my god, Sakurai faked us out! Wait! HOLY ****, IT'S K. ROOL FOR REAL!!! WHAT THE **** EVEN IS THIS GAME NOW?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall, this Direct was ****ing bonkers and just knowing there's still MORE to reveal makes it even crazier. 10/10 Direct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom