• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The blog on the official site is cool and all. But the Dojo is still the best Smash site.
Was just about to say that this new blog reminded me a lot of the Dojo from Brawl.

I have nostalgia from my Middle School days always checking out what the new updates were on the game.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
If September is next direct, Sakurai is gonna have to unload multiple newcomers at once.

So he'll probably use the Fighter of the Day from time to time to announce newcomers as well.

It's really going to be annoying being so spoiled by E3 and now going back to the dark times of no information. Lol.
I can't wait for people to start complaining about how Sakurai failed at maintaining the hype by having such a blowout of info at E3 and then not much afterwards.

Like when everyone got angry at getting only stage DLC for the next update after Lucas, Roy and Ryu launched all at once.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My issue was less with them showing Smash Bros so much, and more with them showing nothing of real note in that time. We got a few interesting tidbits, but Nintendo have only themselves to blame for people calling it an enhanced port. Because from what they showed in all that time, that's all it was. All old content we'd seen before, aside from two new characters and two news stages, and a handful of new items.

The Invitational and the millions of videos of YouTubers playing the game (some going more in-depth into mechanics than the Treehouse ever would) are more than enough for anyone wanting to see some random matches. We don't need the Treehouse for that.

It wouldn't have hurt to have a demo of another mode or two that was shown exclusively on the Treehouse. When Smash Wii U & 3DS was coming out, I didn't get burned out so quickly on the Treehouse stream because they had the two different versions two show off with different stages and even slightly different characters, and the 3DS demo had Smash Run to show off, a fairly robust, brand new mode. And more importantly, there was a healthy amount of newcomers and new stages to show off. So the Treehouse stream then was varied.

This time, it was just all random VS matches mostly featuring content from games I already own. And they didn't even go through the whole demo roster (which they DEFINITELY could have in the time they had). They didn't even pick Snake once, one of the most sought after characters.

While the game could have a bunch of new content we don't know about, they didn't really show us any of it so people are justified in being skeptical and feeling like it's an enhanced port.

The novelty of having everyone back is great, but it's just that, a novelty. There weren't even that many vets missing from Smash Wii U & 3DS, and some of them were clones or semi-clones anyway. Just showing me that they're back isn't going to be enough to persuade me to pay €60 for this game on it's own. Snake and Wolf are the only ones I could realistically see myself using for more than an hour if even that.

Besides, the HALF AN HOUR of time dedicated to Smash in the Direct itself was more than enough to convey that, yes, indeed, everyone and everything is back. I got it the first time. Now, show me this game will have more to it than just practicing against the CPU (because I have nobody to play Smash with on a regular basis), and a crappy online service I will have to pay an additional €20 for, using characters and stages I can already use in the games I have.

Because I'm honestly worried that, besides VS Mode, Online Mode, Classic Mode and Training Mode, this game won't have much else to it. I'd love to be wrong on that, but they failed to communicate that. I didn't have this concern going into Smash Wii U & 3DS (even though Smash Wii U WAS lacking in content) because they properly communicated that the game would have these other features. We also were shown stuff like custom moves and amiibo and the like at this point, which IIRC the Treehouse streams for those games actually showed off.

Yeah, we got a "blowout of information", but most of it is old information.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Being an Octoling revitalized my love of Splatoon. I like how in multiplayer you can see who is an inkling or octoling aat the top of the screen too.

D

Deleted member

20180614_180205.png

Hey Mythra Mythra , may you please tell me how you got those nice goggles?

Edit: Nevermind. I got them.

Last edited by a moderator:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Extensive single player content in a fighting game is a waste of resources, imho.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Just remember something: If your Switch is linked to your My Nintendo, you can actually purchase and download eShop stuff on the official website, so tell him that.

The moment you click the purchase button when buying from Nintendo.com, it'll start downloading on your Switch in a literal second.
That doesn't matter if I don't have money for me eshop balance lol.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Extensive single player content in a fighting game is a waste of resources, imho.
I'm not referring exclusively to single-player content.

Smash Run was 4-Player, was one of the most popular things about the last game, and has plenty of room for even more fun (i.e. allowing players to interact directly on the map like in City Trial).

Subspace Emissary was co-op. Personally, I played through it multiple times with multiple different people because of that.

Basically every single-player mode in Wii U & 3DS was also co-op.

These modes would also benefit from online play with Friends too.

And at the end of the day, Smash has never been a traditional fighter, and people don't judge it by the same standards. Sakurai has said himself he views it more like an action game. The wealth of modes and unlockable content to keep you busy are just as much a part of Smash's legacy as it's character rosters. Reading any review or watching any retrospective on the games will make that very clear, it's always been a big selling point of the series. And when Smash Wii U skimped out on that department, people took notice and it was a marked negative in many reviews.

I just don't understand why people are willing to pay more for less. The last thing I would want to see the Smash series become is just regurgitating the same content with slight tweaks and calling it a "brand new game" and charging as much for it. We don't fully know if this game will be that yet, but they haven't done anything to tell me it won't be that.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
It would be hilariously ironic if they add Larcei and she turns out to be ****.

I hope she has Karla's stats and Regnal Astra to see the meta burn even more :V

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Whoa, I didn't expect Nintendo would reveal the newest Fire Emblem Heroes banner this soon, and it features a SURPRISING batch of characters!

Yep, we're getting a Konosuba banner! That's awesome, I love Konosuba! This banner features the four main characters: Kazuma, Aqua, Megumin, and Darkness! They're all pretty good units with some solid skills (though I feel like Aqua might have a low BST to reference her uselessness). Now we just need Vanir as the GHB unit and this banner will be worth looking forward to!

I better start saving up those orbs for Megumin now!

Before anyone points it out, yes, this was a fanmade trailer. I was just trying to be entertaining by treating like it was real because it looks really well-made for a fanmade banner!

Now, Re: Zero crossover banner in Fire Emblem Heroes when?

D

Deleted member

Eh, I disagree. Sure, the focus should be mainly on making a good and fun vs. mode but just having that would feel lacking. Sometimes you want something different or more challenging, and multiplayer can't really give you that as a guarantee
Whoa, I didn't expect Nintendo would reveal the newest Fire Emblem Heroes banner this soon, and it features a SURPRISING batch of characters!

Yep, we're getting a Konosuba banner! That's awesome, I love Konosuba! This banner features the four main characters: Kazuma, Aqua, Megumin, and Darkness! They're all pretty good units with some solid skills (though I feel like Aqua might have a low BST to reference her uselessness). Now we just need Vanir as the GHB unit and this banner will be worth looking forward to!

Before anyone points it out, yes, this was a fanmade trailer. I was just trying to be entertaining by treating like it was real because it looks really well-made for a fanmade banner!

Fake, Megumin doesn't pass out after attacking

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511

WHY THE **** THIS LOOKS SO REAL?

Now I want Lilina and Megumin to blow up each other.

D

Deleted member

Wow, that looks so real!
Nice music as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
>Aqua
>Darkness
Look I get this is a fangame and all, but those aren't names. No I don't care what Kingdom Hearts says, you don't name a child Aqua unless you want to tell the world that yes you believe in chemtrails.
Darkness explains itself. Might as well named your kid "They're gonna be evil someday".

This is just the character designer in me.

Edit: Okay why is Darkness some light-themed anime chick? Like I was assuming generic bad evil man. This has nothing to do with dark and/or darkness.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
So let’s say ultimate gets dlc.

Not every dlc is a truly unique character though, some are echos and each release every few months.

Do you think echos could be free? They are easy to make and aren’t truly new fighters.
No, I don't think they should be free, I think they should bundle them with a unique fighter instead, let's say something like this happened:

We get Ray from Custom Robo as a unique fighter, he should come with say Shadow and Isabelle as a Echo fighter.

So what I'm saying is, they should add a unique fighter, and have 2 echo fighters come with them.

A reminder that there's over 100 ATs this time and you don't get to that number by upgrading a bunch of old ATs.

Chances are Shadow and others could still be in and we just haven't seen them, or aren't even in the demo at all.
Wait, there's really over 100 ATs this time?

Also, yeah, that probably is right about Shadow's and the others.

When I try to think of potential newcomers, I draw a blank. With all characters back, as well as Inkling, Daisy and Ridley, it's now pretty much anything goes at this point. Anything is possible.

I mean, it's one thing to see newcomer potential like say, new characters around the right time like Spring Man, Rex & Pyra/Mythra or Celica/Alm, popular characters that could've gotten alot of votes on the Ballet, like King K. Rool or characters that Sakurai has looked at continuously, like Geno. But it's another thing to outright predict them or try to call them "guarantees", especially after Ridley, a character who was rejected by Sakurai for 3 games despite his popularity, has finally gotten in. So even if we can try to explain reasons why certain characters are "likely", nothing is guaranteed at this point and anything is possible.

Mickey Mouse is one of the "only" non-Video game characters I would ever find myself hyped for, the others being Scrooge McDuck, Popeye, Spiderman, Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.
Well, there are characters like Dillion and Mallo, characters with fanbases that go them sequels, so they could happen. They are characters that aren't obvious to everyone, but when you look at new Nintendo IPs not in Smash, they pop out, I find.

I'm perfectly open to non-video game characters.

It would be far more interesting and exciting than a roster comprised of the game characters that are on every single prediction list.
But that'd ruin the themeing of Smash dude.

Ultimately, I'm not a fan of non-Video game characters in Smash, but as I said, there are some exceptions I would find myself hyped for. But I still prefer Video game characters over non-Video game characters.

And despite being more about anime/novel/etc than video game nowadays, I do count Saber as a Video game character as she did start on a "video game" technically.
Saber is a video-game character though. Visual Novels count as Video-games, despite would some people say.

Ridley is indeed too small, plz buff him Sakurai, and by that, I mean gave him his Other M design.:troll:
So, you want Roidley in. :v

....what if
Celica for Smash with Beloved Zofia and Ragnarok...

....with Reinhardt as an Echo with Meisterschwert and Dire Thunder :V
Sure I'll take Celica, but who needs that Reinhardt guy. :v

I mean, her offensive stats are just stupid, to be fair.

Ayra is still more broken though.
Arya was always broken. Buff her so she's even more broken.

Well, alot of people, probably do actually agree with you. I know a good number of people complained about Brawl, when a character was announced. I just have this feeling that people would say, why aren't you making a new character, if they meet a Smash dev, and the dev tried to show them a mode, and not a character.

D

Deleted member

>Aqua
>Darkness
Look I get this is a fangame and all, but those aren't names. No I don't care what Kingdom Hearts says, you don't name a child Aqua unless you want to tell the world that yes you believe in chemtrails.
Darkness explains itself. Might as well named your kid "They're gonna be evil someday".

This is just the character designer in me.

Edit: Okay why is Darkness some light-themed anime chick? Like I was assuming generic bad evil man. This has nothing to do with dark and/or darkness.
One is an useless goddess and the other's actual name is Lalatina

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
...Then why didn't they go with Lalatina?
That's a far better name than "Darkness". Like it's far from a perfect name but at least it's original.
Darkness is just her crusader alias. She doesn't like going by Lalatina very much because that name leads to other making fun of that name.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Darkness is just her crusader alias. She doesn't like going by Lalatina very much because that name leads to other making fun of that name.
Which is why she went with the even lamer name of Darkness.
I mean look if it helps her sure, but like they couldn't have given her a better name?

I'm not too fond of my name but it's sure as hell better than "Killer" or "Death".

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Welp. E3 is more or less over, and I gotta say, it was pretty good.

Spider-Man, Smash, Jump Force, and some new Mega Man 11 and Spyro footage to hold me over. Not mention FighterZ is gonna be on Switch. ****ing Ridley is in Smash now, which is still crazy awesome to think about.

And of course, the best news of all is DMC5, glad to hear there's gonna be new footage of it soon.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Also hoo boy single player content. Oh boy that's a topic.
Okay I'm gonna be honest I am biased in this regard. I like fighting games, my big draw to them is the characters and how they play, I mean naturally I'm going to prefer balancing + character content > different modes/single player. And I think a lot of that draws from the fact that fighting games thrive on multiplayer.
Like yeah it's an extremely common criticism that fighting games tend to be always about multiplayer without much in terms single player, and it's understandable. I, just like many have times where I want to play by myself, but fighting games need people for it to survive. Without that support, or ways for players to support that, a game is as good as dead.

It's pretty much been the way fighting games have been built since the arcade days. The importance is getting people to fight, with extra content being secondary if not unneeded. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite is a great example. It had a robust single player mode with cutscenes and bosses and continuity, but because no one played it for one reason or another, the game died. It didn't even get into EVO, and was massively overshadowed by DBZF. Yes there are certainly factors to why Infinite failed, but the important thing to take away is players are vital. It kinda has to be multiplayer all the time always, that's how the genre was built.

Do I think a single-player focused fighting game could work? Possibly, but certainly not in the way fighting games are created now. The want for those kinds of games withered after Street Fighter II.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So the Xenoblade 2 Story DLC doesn't quite play like XC1 at all. It does seem to have some interesting differences from the main game.

Looking forward to it.

I also hope Blade Nia, pre-flesh eating incident, gets a cameo. That could be interesting.
I never expect for XC2 to play like XC1 anyway lol.
I just want XC2 DLC to have more better battle system.

Eh, not sure if that will happen but she might appear as a normal Blade.
Hell, it would be nice if we see other rare Blades like Zenobia appear.
Bigger boots?:4diddy:

But yeah, let's see first if a character from XB2 is gonig to apparear at all, I doubt Sakurai even know about the new DLC tbh lol.
I still think Rexi s still likely as a launch free DLC.
Honestly I don’t think an Arms or Xenoblade Chronicles X/2 character should be playable.

I think they can be represented just fine as assist trophies.
You can just say you pesonally don't want any Xenoblade character to be playable lol.

I personally think they should, sure it isn't a solid reason but look how Sakurai has been a Xenoblade fan, I wouldn't be surprised to see another Xenoblade rep.

My issue was less with them showing Smash Bros so much, and more with them showing nothing of real note in that time. We got a few interesting tidbits, but Nintendo have only themselves to blame for people calling it an enhanced port. Because from what they showed in all that time, that's all it was. All old content we'd seen before, aside from two new characters and two news stages, and a handful of new items.
How is Nintendo themselves for the blame when they already said this is a new Smash Bros game despite we mostly see contents not only return but better? I think it's odd how some think a new Smash Bros should be like... totally new and things we haven't seen before. Smash 4 has been one of the best Smash Bros imo, so I'm glad that they kept most of the content that were the best from that game and add other elements from the past Smash Bros games.

Hell, this is nearly what I expect for Super Smash Bros Ultimate, put every best things that Smash Bros has to offer, and they really did it.

So yeah, curious to ask Chiko, what things should they show to make you satisfied on Smash Bros Ultimate?

The Invitational and the millions of videos of YouTubers playing the game (some going more in-depth into mechanics than the Treehouse ever would) are more than enough for anyone wanting to see some random matches. We don't need the Treehouse for that.
Yeah... even though I personally don't bother too much about Treehouse, but for those like me who doesn't live in USA, and when we need to see more explanation on the game. It can still be worth watching.

This time, it was just all random VS matches mostly featuring content from games I already own. And they didn't even go through the whole demo roster (which they DEFINITELY could have in the time they had). They didn't even pick Snake once, one of the most sought after characters.
Um, you said we don't need Treehouse but then you complain they didn't pick Snake...
So aren't there any other videos showing Snake?

While the game could have a bunch of new content we don't know about, they didn't really show us any of it so people are justified in being skeptical and feeling like it's an enhanced port.
Yeah, that is the case, thus I don't understand why some like to be skeptical or even being unimpressed on this game.
I can see people look like it's an enhanced port, but I don't understand why people are being "skeptical". I can see myself playing this game and think this is a really different Smash Bros game.

The novelty of having everyone back is great, but it's just that, a novelty. There weren't even that many vets missing from Smash Wii U & 3DS, and some of them were clones or semi-clones anyway. Just showing me that they're back isn't going to be enough to persuade me to pay €60 for this game on it's own. Snake and Wolf are the only ones I could realistically see myself using for more than an hour if even that.
Characters weren't cut is the best case scenario though, but then again, this statement from you is somewhat of an personal opinion so I'll give you that.

For me, Ice Climbers... and everyone else is back, better mechanics, instant day one purchase for me.

Yeah, we got a "blowout of information", but most of it is old information.
So to sum up your entire "rant".
You weren't impressed, because they didn't show much "totally new" stuff? Again, just what do you think they should add in order to justify this game as a new game?
Contrary to your observation, I have see things that may look familiar but were either improved or refined, which I personally think it is enough.
You do you, but when it comes to a new Smash Bros game, don't really expect everything to be new. It would be nice to see a lot of new stuff don't get me wrong, but...

I'll just leave a comment from Artsy Omni:
I feel like the definition of "port" has kind of gotten lost in recent years. "Porting" a game is just taking a game from its native platform and making it run on another platform with the experience generally unchanged. An enhanced port, like MK8D, is a port but adds some new content like characters or items and maybe fixes or tweaks some elements, but is still largely the same experience. Same graphics, same stages, same racing physics, etc. It added a whole new mode, which is significant, but that mode is built using the same foundation and many of the same key assets as the original game.

I don't see how Smash Ult can be categorized as a port in any way. Yes, there is content coming back from past games, but that's true of every Smash game. Smash Ult has new branding, new menus, new mechanics, some new characters, new stages, remastered past stages, new music, new versions of mainstays like Battlefield, new character models and animations, a new rendering engine... Any way you slice it, this game is new in every respect. It just happens to also focus on bringing back a lot of stuff from the past. But the stuff it does bring back has been upgraded. The experience of playing the game is still fundamentally a new experience.

It's an amalgamation of past smash games with its own iteration of the core smash gameplay. You could compare it to something like Sonic Mania. Mania draws a lot from the past, but gives it all a new spit and polish as well, as well as new content. It looks a LOT like old games, but it's definitely not a port of any past game.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Posted on Twitter that I'm bummed Waluigi didn't make into Smash and then this Waluigi account told me he has a petition.

The only problem with that is that petitions don't work (and probably too late for Sakurai/Nintendo to change it anyway).

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, Hyper Sports R was the compilation title from Konami that was leaked. What's the Action/Adventure game? Any news?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Prosafia Gaming and his ******** copycats are spoiling the Octo Expansion. Be careful out there guys.
I did block the keywords "final boss" and "ending" on YouTube for that reason

Might add some more keywords when I think of them (like "Marina" because I want to know her backstory SOOOOOO badly)

EDIT: Added "bosses" too so I don't see the final boss in a thumbnail.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Wow. We finally know the real reason why Waluigi isn't playable.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

He did it for us you guys.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Posted on Twitter that I'm bummed Waluigi didn't make into Smash and then this Waluigi account told me he has a petition.

The only problem with that is that petitions don't work (and probably too late for Sakurai/Nintendo to change it anyway).
To be honest I'm more amazed at how much support has been given to Waluigi.
Like yeah he's fairly liked, but when Netflix is making jokes it's bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom