• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea why tensions are so high all of a sudden, but methinks it's time to drop the subjects.

Not worth getting into internet arguments if they arent fun

Sidenote: why the **** does Azami have a botany ability wgen she specifically says she doesnt know much about botany?
:061:

D

Deleted member

Well now you're just throwing a tantrum.

Come on man.
I know, the tantrum is bothering me a bit. I hope he gets over the tantrum and that we can all have peace. :)
He wanted that back in Brawl's development over 10 years ago.

Who the hell knows what he wants for Metroid now?
In Smash 4's times, he pushed for Kid Icarus content and... who actually does know? It could be Splatoon.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
This is a bit out-of-the-blue and not really on topic with the actual conversations ongoing in the thread at the moment, but I've been wanting to do this for a while, now.

In Smash 4's speculation period, I was sorta known as that overly negative guy who'd give harsh criticism of people's character predictions. It was pretty much my main schtick other than investigating "leaks".

This time around, though.......I don't think I'm going to be touching newcomer predictions very often. I'm actually more interested in what veterans are coming back this time, than I am about newcomers. The fact that the ballot results will probably play a key role in what newcomers are selected makes this likely to be one of the more unpredictable rosters we've had so far.

I plan on focusing my efforts entirely on the inevitable "leaks" this time around. There's less arguments and less drama involved in that.

That said, I'm going to get some thoughts off my chest about some of the popular newcomer predictions and some of the expectations people have, just to get them out there. I'm going to put them under a spoiler tag.

If you're the sort of person who tends to take offense to being told the character you want isn't likely, I'd suggest not reading this post. Actually, I'd suggest not reading unless you, for whatever reason, are interested in hearing my thoughts in specific.

• Regarding cuts: I've mostly been hanging around GameFAQs' Smash forum as of late, and I know the community here and there are quite different. But general consensus over there is that there will either be no cuts or the only cuts that will happen are going to be the "clone trio" (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina). I think this is extremely naive and unrealistic. I think we're bound to see some cuts whether this is a completely new game OR it's built on the foundation of Smash 4 in a similar manner to Splatoon 2. I consider the clones, third parties, DLC characters, and characters formerly on the chopping block (Jigglypuff, Bowser Jr) to be at the greatest risk.
  • I'm split down the middle on just what this game actually is, and have no real opinion either way. I think there's lots of evidence that it's new, but I think people are being too quick to dismiss the possibility that it's a port of some kind. I'm leaning towards it being a new game with heavily recycled assets in a similar vein to Splatoon 2, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being completely new or we did end up with a Smash 4 Deluxe/Definitive Edition.
  • I agree with the notion that Decidueye, Captain Toad, Rex + Pyra/Mythra (or just solo Rex), and Spring Man are likely newcomers for Smash 5.
  • I think Ice Climbers are basically guaranteed to return. Wolf is possible, but I don't think he's the lock a lot of people seem to consider him to be. I don't see any of the other cut Melee/Brawl veterans returning at all, though (including Snake).
  • I think we're actually going to be getting a DK newcomer this time around. Whether it's Dixie Kong or K. Rool remains to be seen. I could see it going either way (especially after the Mii Brawler costume K. Rool received; I 100% believe that costume was made entirely based on ballot data and the community's pleas, and wouldn't have happened had he not been in such high demand).
  • I've touched up on this previously in this thread, but I think people are putting way too much stock into the N. Sanity Trilogy port being some sort of hint that Crash Bandicoot is going to be playable in Smash. This is the same sort of theory we saw time and time again for SSB4 (A game is announced game on a Nintendo system = SMASH NEWCOMER CONFIRMED!!!!1111). The fact that this port likely wasn't even known about when Smash for Switch started development and the fact the Crash trilogy is going to other consoles as well tells me that this means nothing and it's simply a case of the developers wanting the game on all platforms.
  • At the same time, I wouldn't be shocked if Crash was in; I just think his chances are overblown and are centered around a theory that has a microscopic success rate.
  • I don't think we'll be seeing the protagonist from the Switch's Fire Emblem game or a Gen 8 Pokemon. I know that there's precedent for it (namely, Roy in Melee and Greninja in Smash 4), but I'm certain both Binding Blade and Pokemon X/Y were further along in development when they were selected for Smash representation than the new FE/Pokemon games were when Smash 5's development began (if those two games even were in development at that point). I think the likeliest scenario would be no FE newcomers and Decidueye as the Pokemon newcomer.
  • I can see Mario not getting a new character this time around, either. If it does happen, though, I think Captain Toad is the best bet (as suggested in an earlier bullet point).
  • In spite of Source Gaming discovering that Geno actually has been considered, I still don't think he's going to be playable. As far as Square goes, I think we're either getting Cloud back or getting nothing from them.
  • In addition to the previous point, I should also add that I consider Cloud to be the most likely non-clone character to be cut.
  • I see the Champions from Breath of the Wild as being to Smash 5 what Impa and Ghirahim were to Smash 4, and Midna and Vaati were to Brawl. I think Zelda's only getting a newcomer if BOTW Link ends up being a newcomer instead of the new version of regular old Link like people have theorized, and even that, I don't think is the case.
  • I actually don't see Ridley as a complete impossibility this time around. My hope definitely hasn't returned to the level it was at prior to the now-infamous "Other boss character appearances" segment of April 2014's Smash Direct, but this is a new game, and, as we've learned from the Villager and Mii Fighters arriving in Smash 4 after being said they "wouldn't work" in Brawl, I think what Sakurai says of a character in a past game should not be re-applied for future games.
  • I do think we're not going to get any additional information about the game until E3, unfortunately. I'm not going to be shocked if there is some sort of Direct or something in between (I mean, I wasn't expecting this game to be announced at a random Direct, and here we are), but it's just intuition.
  • I dunno if it's made rounds here, but the fact that people are taking the Funimation tweet about Goku in Smash seriously is beyond ridiculous. I don't think Funimation even have the authority to license out Dragon Ball Z content to be used in Smash, nor do I think Sakurai would consider it (I know "the rules" are often broken, but I don't see him swaying on the "must be a video game character" requirement, even if James Bond was once considered).
  • I think the belief that Octolings will be in is really iffy, too. I don't think the Octo Expansion was a thing when Smash 5's roster was selected, and without the expansion, they're just mooks.
As a bit of an add-on to this post, I'm going to copy and paste a post I made on GameFAQs regarding what characters I think are the likeliest cuts.

Like in the above post, proceed with caution. Cuts are a bit of a touchy subject, so please keep in mind that this is an opinion piece; I'm not trying to pass this off as a definitive list of likely cuts.

Below are the tiers in which I think a character's the most at risk. The order the characters in each tier are listed is not in any specific order.

Any characters that go unmentioned, I consider to more or less be completely safe.

Tier 1 (The likeliest cuts)
- :4cloud::4cloud2:Cloud (I think he's the most likely cut of them all, and I'm honestly surprised so many people here seem to think he'll be back for certain. The lack of content related to Final Fantasy in comparison to that of other third party franchises suggests to me that he had the most licensing difficulties, which does not bode well.)
- :4lucas:Lucas (I think the idea that a character "cannot be cut twice because it would upset people" is silly.)
- :4feroy:Roy (See Lucas. I'd like to add that I see him as being every bit a risk as Lucina, in spite of being far more unique than she is. Derivative characters and clones have proven to be likely cuts in the past, and I don't see that changing. After having strongarmed her into FE Warriors, I can see Intelligent Systems rescuing Lucina. Roy's greatest advantages are Melee nostalgia and apparent popularity in the FE Heroes polls.)
- :4lucina:Lucina (I think the idea that the costume clones are safe just because they're low effort is a bit flawed; the Melee clones were also low effort, and they ended up comprising the entirety of Brawl's cuts except Mewtwo.)
- :4darkpit:Dark Pit (See Lucina)
- :4drmario:Dr. Mario (See Lucina AND Lucas)
------------
Tier 2 (Less likely, but still at risk)
- :4mewtwo:Mewtwo (See Lucas. I put Mewtwo on a tier above the other returning cuts because he's significantly more popular than they are, and has a unique moveset. The fact that he was low enough priority to get cut in the first place, and then failed to get into the base version of SSB4, however, is quite telling.)
- :4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:Bowser Jr. (A lot of people seem confident about him returning, but the fact that Sakurai singled him out as a character who was on the chopping block in SSB4 raises concern. The 8-characters-in-1 dynamic also gives him quite the workload.)
- :4ryu:Ryu (He's here mostly because he's a third party. Even though he's more important to Capcom than Mega Man is in recent years, the fact that Mega Man was on the base game of SSB4 and Ryu was DLC suggests to me that if one of them were to be cut, Ryu would be the one we'd be saying "bye" to.)
--------------
Tier 2.5 (The Wildcards)
- :4megaman:Mega Man (Third party status. I don't think any of them should be considered safe. As mentioned in Ryu's section, the reason I put him on a tier below him is because he was part of SSB4 from the beginning, while Ryu was post-launch DLC.)
- :4pacman:Pac-Man (I think his likelihood is dependant on whether or not Bamco is returning to develop this game. He's a bit less likely if they're not, and significantly more likely if they are.)
--------------
Tier 3 (The Maybes)
- :4bayonetta::4bayonetta2:Bayonetta (She was the ballot winner, and Nintendo more or less rescued the IP. It's hard to imagine they'd have a difficult time getting the rights to use her once more. The Switch ports of Bayo 1 and 2 were a good sign, though I'm not sure if Bayo 3 was planned far enough in advance for it to have been put into consideration while finalizing the Smash 5 roster. All that aside, I see third parties as being at risk by nature. And in all honesty, when lining up the third party characters, Bayo sticks out like a sore thumb. She is nowhere near the icon the rest of them are.)
- :4sonic:Sonic (Safest of the third parties, but I think the nature of third party characters provides a room for concern, even if it does seem unfounded.)
- :4shulk:Shulk (I think Xenoblade will get the same treatment as Fire Emblem and Earthbound, and keep the characters from older installments while adding the newest protagonist, but at the same time, I don't think I'd be all that surprised if they did what they intended to do with Ness in Melee and just completely replaced the Xenoblade 1 content with Xenoblade 2).
- :4jigglypuff:Jigglypuff (She was explicitly stated by Sakurai to have been on the brink of being cut in both Melee and Brawl)
- :4corrin::4corrinf:Corrin (I think people underestimate his chance of returning, and find it bizarre that he's considered by so many people to be at a greater risk of being cut than Roy. I wouldn't be surprised if Corrin got cut, but he's still the latest FE protagonist and has a very unique moveset.)
- :4robinm::4robinf:Robin (If a 100% unique FE rep is going to get axed, it'll come down to him and Corrin. As unique as Corrin is, Robin's even moreso, and represents some important aspects of FE that no other rep in Smash does. Corrin has the advantage of recency, however.)
---------------
Tier 4 (Probably safe, but....)
- :4lucario::4charizard::4greninja:Lucario, Charizard, or Greninja (All are extremely popular, but there is a history of Pokemon characters getting cut; Pokemon is the only series that has had multiple cuts in both Brawl and SSB4. If any of them are to go, though, I only see it being one of them; none if Jiggly gets the axe. At the same time, I also would not be surprised if they all made it back in.)
- :4falco:Falco (I don't see him getting cut, but with the poor critical and commercial reception Star Fox Zero received, I could see them downsizing Star Fox's representation even further this time around. He'd be a surprising cut, but not quite as surprising as any of the characters not listed here)
- :4tlink:Toon Link (This one is only under a very specific circumstance: namely, if the theories some people have about Breath of the Wild Link being a newcomer rather than just a new design for the regular Link. If BOTW Link ends up just being the new version of regular Link, I think Toon Link is completely safe.)
- :4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun:Mii Fighters (They were a big part of Smash 4, but with the Switch seemingly putting much less of a spotlight on Miis, to the point where they're completely optional and seem to exist only as an extra choice for an avatar, I can see them getting the axe. They'd be much higher on the list if it weren't for how major their addition was made out to be.)
-----------------

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No, Opo is right.
I was just being a baby because someone disagreed with my opinion.

Well now you're just throwing a tantrum.

Come on man.
Except this literally is what I felt during my time here.
Sure, I posted some funny **** and people liked it, but I never felt like people appriciated having me around.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Glad to know I'm not allowed to disagree with someone without being an absolute monster.

Really, Cori?
It's not just a matter of disagreeing, it's a matter of approaching the argument with

Opo: I think this
Me: Well I think this
Opo: Well I just think *first thing*, so you're wrong

Reiterating yourself instead of trying to look into the alternative point more is kind of grating. If I had to deal with a half a dozen people debating like that, I'd be well on my way to a ragequit too. It's not the disagreement, it's that the method of arguing is askew and on top of it you insisted on immediately continuing your argument specifically with them after they made it clear they about had it for now too.

All myself and most likely Lampy wanted to say was "people put more weight on representation than it actually has." All you've brought to offer in return other than a single example which has other forms of character selection also existing as a fair degree of a counterpoint is "no."

That's why I might get a bit overly snappy.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Also, tell me we see eye to eye and that Adol Christin should be in Smash, right? I would love to see Adol Christin in, despite him not exactly being known, despite being around for almost just as long as Zelda.
That's be dope

I mean, there are other Falcom characters I'd rather see, but they're either too niche(Parin) or haven't been on a Nintendo system(Estelle Bright), so Adol is kinda the most realistic option.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
No, Opo is right.

Sure, I posted some funny **** and people liked it, but I never felt like people appriciated having me around.
Hey, I apologized earlier with a tag if it makes you feel better. If I didn't care I wouldn't have said anything.

Last edited:

Chrono.

As a bit of an add-on to this post, I'm going to copy and paste a post I made on GameFAQs regarding what characters I think are the likeliest cuts.

Like in the above post, proceed with caution. Cuts are a bit of a touchy subject, so please keep in mind that this is an opinion piece; I'm not trying to pass this off as a definitive list of likely cuts.

Below are the tiers in which I think a character's the most at risk. The order the characters in each tier are listed is not in any specific order.

Any characters that go unmentioned, I consider to more or less be completely safe.

In Danger:
Cloud (I think he's the most likely cut of them all)
Roy
Lucas
Lucina
Dark Pit
Dr. Mario
------------
Safer:
Mewtwo (I know cutting him again after having just brought him back would raise a huge stink from the community, but he's been a perpetual low priority character, and that fact shouldn't be disregarded.)
Corrin (I think people underestimate his chance of returning, and find it bizarre that he's considered by so many people to be at a greater risk of being cut than Roy. I wouldn't be surprised if Corrin got cut, but he's still the latest FE protagonist and has a very unique moveset.)
Robin
Shulk (I think Xenoblade will get the same treatment as Fire Emblem and Earthbound, and keep the characters from older installments while adding the newest protagonist, but at the same time, I don't think I'd be all that surprised if they did what they intended to do with Ness in Melee and just completely replaced the Xenoblade 1 content with Xenoblade 2).
Bowser Jr. (A lot of people seem confident about him returning, but the fact that Sakurai singled him out as a character who was on the chopping block in SSB4 raises concern.)
Ryu
--------------
Even Safer:
Sonic (Safest of the third parties, but I think the nature of third party characters provides a room for concern, even if it does seem unfounded.)
Mega Man
Pac-Man (If Bamco is still involved. If they're not, he's on the previous tier)
Jigglypuff (She was explicitly stated by Sakurai to have been on the brink of being cut in both Melee and Brawl)
---------------
Probably safe, but....:
Lucario, Charizard, or Greninja (All are extremely popular, but there is a history of Pokemon characters getting cut; Pokemon is the only series that has had multiple cuts in both Brawl and SSB4. If any of them are to go, though, I only see it being one of them; none if Jiggly gets the axe. At the same time, I also would not be surprised if they all made it back in.)
Falco (I don't see him getting cut, but with the poor critical and commercial reception Star Fox Zero received, I could see them downsizing Star Fox's representation even further this time around. He'd be a surprising cut, but not quite as surprising as any of the characters not listed here)
Toon Link (This one is only under a very specific circumstance: namely, if the theories some people have about Breath of the Wild Link being a newcomer rather than just a new design for the regular Link, like the Twilight Princess version replaced the OOT version in Brawl. If BOTW Link ends up just being the new version of regular Link, I think Toon Link is completely safe.)
-----------------
Was there a reason ever given for Jr. almost being cut?

Ivander

Smash Legend
No, Opo is right.

I appreciate everybody here, even if I disagree with them sometimes. And don't feel like some of the funny stuff you posted isn't being appreciated. Laughter and heartwarming is good for the soul, and every little bit helps, even if it may not look or be much. :)

Now let me help cheer you up a bit with this video. Hopefully you haven't seen it. If you did, well.....watch it again, it's still makes me laugh.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's not just a matter of disagreeing, it's a matter of approaching the argument with

Opo: I think this
Me: Well I think this
Opo: Well I just think *first thing*, so you're wrong

Reiterating yourself instead of trying to look into the alternative point more is kind of grating. If I had to deal with a half a dozen people debating like that, I'd be well on my way to a ragequit too. It's not the disagreement, it's that the method of arguing is askew and on top of it you insisted on immediately continuing your argument specifically with them after they made it clear they about had it for now too.

All myself and most likely Lampy wanted to say was "people put more weight on representation than it actually has." All you've brought to offer in return other than a single example which has other forms of character selection also existing as a fair degree of a counterpoint is "no."

That's why I might get a bit overly snappy.
Except I never said he was wrong for how he thought. I just said that the other side had a valid point.

You're misconstruing what I said to an almost insulting degree. Geez. :/

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Sidenote: why the **** does Azami have a botany ability wgen she specifically says she doesnt know much about botany?
The true question here is why are you using Azami?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Was there a reason ever given for Jr. almost being cut?
I'm guessing it was time constraints.

Here's the full quote:
On our side, we are re-creating characters from the previous title, and keep on adding more, so the word "reduce" is not appropriate. There are cases where we simply couldn't make it in the end, but on the whole we did a good job I think and the people at Bandai Namco Games did a great job. We had discussions on giving up on something many many times, Bowser Jr. was on the brink of being cut but the staff said "We'll do our best!" and we made it.
My concern with Jr. has less to do with the fact that he was almost cut, and more to do with the implication that he was low-priority. It doesn't necessarily mean much (Sakurai said the same of Lucario in Brawl, and as we know, Lucario returned in SSB4), but it's hard for me to ignore.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 138917

Just because we don't say that we appreciate you doesn't mean we don't.
You are so kind-hearted. Well-said. :)
No, Opo is right.

Are you okay buddy? Your posts are generally funny and everybody seems to like you overall, actually. I appreciate having you around. The reason why you are bothering us is you are failing to see the point and you keep on throwing the negativity despite people wanting to stop. You are all like my best friends, I hate to see you sad. How can I help?

Also give Opossum some slack, you guys. He is not trying to start an argument, he is using valid logic.
I have no idea why tensions are so high all of a sudden, but methinks it's time to drop the subjects.

Not worth getting into internet arguments if they arent fun
Thank you, Zeb. I completely agree with what you said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Except I never said he was wrong for how he thought. I just said that the other side had a valid point.

You're misconstruing what I said to an almost insulting degree. Geez. :/
It's not intentional. :( I just have a bad habit of misinterpreting things, especially in tense situations.

I'd already gotten a bit worked up feeling as though the room wasn't being read appropriately, so when I went to debate and it bounced off it didn't register the best in my head.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Not to sound cheesy and all but we all appreciate you here.

Hell I appreciate everyone and respect others even if I do disagree and argue with them a lot. Most people here are cool even if I get heated with them sometimes.

Chrono.

I'm guessing it was time constraints.

Here's the full quote:

My concern with Jr. has less to do with the fact that he was almost cut, and more to do with the implication that he was low-priority. It doesn't necessarily mean much (Sakurai said the same of Lucario in Brawl, and as we know, Lucario returned in SSB4), but it's hard for me to ignore.
I think it was just a time constraints kind of thing because he barely made it in.

At least, that's what I think it was.

EDIT: GODDAMMIT, BURB!
Yeah that's about what I thought, just wanted to clarify if I wasn't mis-remembering ****.
And to be honest? It showed.

Pre-Patched Smash 4 was an interesting time.
That's just flash stepping. :p

D

Deleted member

Pre-Patched Smash 4 was an interesting time.
I remember the days when Diddy Kong was the prince of Smash 4.
:4diddy:HOO-HAH :4diddy:
( This is not intended to be a sexual joke )
e
RNG is a cruel mistress.

Indeed. Especially if you are fighting Game and Watch or Luigi.
Not to sound cheesy and all but we all appreciate you here.

Hell I appreciate everyone and respect others even if I do disagree and argue with them a lot. Most people here are cool even if I get heated with them sometimes.
Good way to say it. I appreciate you here too.
@Lampy Come back, we all appreciate you!

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I remember the days when Diddy Kong was the prince of Smash 4.
:4diddy:HOO-HAH :4diddy:
( This is not intended to be a sexual joke )
e

I never thought about HOO-HAH in a sexual way... but Im doing it now

e

EDIT: GODDAMMIT UNI!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

By the way happy 420 pages everyone.
Bruh, smoking weed is not cool. Look at the effects of it, it can rot your teeth and more.
That's just flash stepping. :p
I remember seeing that glitch. It has something to do with a forced respawn-corruption. I have to watch that Smash 4 glitch video again to fully tell you.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Look man, there's nothing better in life than acknowledging the sweet kush.
It is a very special number that I only acknowledge some of the time.

D

Deleted member

He meant it as a joke. I say that as someone who's against doing that stuff.
I know it is just a joke, but still. Joking about smoking weed just annoys me. I am tired of seeing those cigarettes all over the ground in some areas and the smoke getting all over the place in the streets when people smoke. At least my home is safe.
We should post the Spongebob gif of when Patrick tried to get Spongebob to stay from leaving. In this case Spongebob is Lampy.
We should.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Look man, there's nothing better in life than acknowledging the sweet kush.
It is a very special number that I only acknowledge some of the time.
I dunno, I'd much rather feel as though I had a meaningful and positive purpose in life than feel a little out of myself and hungry for a bit.

Of course, one of those things is easier to get, heh heh. . .heh. . .

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Is hoo-hah a sexual joke? I heard it was a slang term for a woman's "reproductive area".
Um... If you were specifically talking about Diddy, we'd know you meant down throw up air. We're dumb, but not that dumb lol

Also, why would Diddy, a male character, have a women's private parts?

How dare you to have sexual thoughts faster than me.
Speed's my game. :sonic:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Um... If you were specifically talking about Diddy, we'd know you meant down throw up air. We're dumb, but not that dumb lol

Also, why would Diddy, a male character, have a women's private parts?

Speed's my game. :sonic:
I thought women didn't like it if you went that fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom