• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Nintendo has had an issue of not knowing how to design controllers ever since the N64.
I don't get why the NGC is so popular when it's a huge mess and I don't understand why can't Nintendo just design something simple. Wii U and Switch Pro Controllers are really good but why do they gotta be sold separately?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
"The Year is 20XX. Ridley is in Smash, North and South Korea are unified, Half 3 released and blew everyone's minds, and F-Zero has gotten 20 new games. Mother 3 has even received an HD Remake. The world is at peace when the video game companies united and saved the politics of everywhere."
That sounds perfect.

Too perfect. >_>

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
"The Year is 20XX. Ridley is in Smash, North and South Korea are unified, Half 3 released and blew everyone's minds, and F-Zero has gotten 20 new games. Mother 3 has even received an HD Remake. The world is at peace when the video game companies united and saved the politics of everywhere."

And Todd Howard successfully ported Skyrim to our brains.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Damn that sounds rough, hope she feels better!

But then the PC Nation attacked. :v

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yo I always use Tap Jump don't hate bruh.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
No wonder you got rekt by a FG Ganon :troll:
Yeah but i've since redeemed myself. :)

Is using Tap Jump really a scrub thing? It's just something i'm very comfortable and familiar with. Almost like writing with my pencil between my thumb/index finger lol.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Is using Tap Jump really a scrub thing? It's just something i'm very comfortable and familiar with. Almost like writing with my pencil between my thumb/index finger lol.
I'm just ****ting on you, dude.

I use it myself because I feel like my short hops are more consistent with Tap Jump.

Plus. can't be a scrub thing when it was the only option in Maylay, so anyone who says that only scrubs use Tap Jump is a ****ing idiot :V

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yo I always use Tap Jump don't hate bruh.
Well, I ain't hating on you. But nah man, Tap Jump ain't right. At least for me.

It gets in the way of Up-Tilt and occasionally Up Smash or Up B moves. Unless you decide to use the C-Stick for tilts.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thing is I use Tap Jumps for literally all my jumps lol.

Although when I play competitive Melee I used Jump Cancelling to effectively Dash Grab with Marth.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Honestly, the GameCube controller is still a pretty solid controller for playing games.

But let's be real here. They really ****ing nailed it with the Switch Pro Controller.
The Switch Pro Controller is quite possibly the best controller I've ever had. It feels great in every way.

The moment I put it in my hands I never went back to the Joy-Con grip.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Only if you don't train to get the timing right.

It's definitely possible to get up tilts/smashes with Tap Jump. You just need to git gud :troll:
Never. Rather I'd rather git gudder with MAXIMUM COMFORT.

Besides I don't want to hear **** from anyone since I can actually pull off Electrics in Tekken better than I ever did before. Now THAT is hard.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Looking the controller a bit more, I noticed the button below the Minus/Home/Plus buttons still says "Start/Pause" I assume it's actually the capture button.

PowerA: I don't care if your controller is a homage to the GC controller, don't call it "Start/Pause" if it doesn't do such.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I always thought the GC controller felt nicer and smoother, with both the BAXY layout and having the control stick over the pad. But than again, I was one of those who had a PSP, played a whole bunch of the games that required you to do the "claw" way of playing with using the D-Pad for camera and control stick for moving and I hated that alot.
But the GC controller has always felt smooth for me and I certainly prefer it over the N64 controller.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Heck with it, I might actually pick one of those controllers. It looks cool and personally ARMS does feel really great with a GC controller (the only flaw was I couldn't change my character's color).

But I'm still a Switch Pro Controller guy at heart.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ranking trainer designs? Ranking trainer designs.

Hilbert=Hilda=Red>Serena>Calem>Leaf>Lucas>Rosa>Brendan>Nate>May>Lyra>Sun=Moon>Ethan>Dawn

On that note, were the Sun/Moon protagonists ever given canon names like the rest, or are they just Sun and Moon? I've heard Helio and Selene be thrown around but I don't know if that's just fanon or not.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
On that note, were the Sun/Moon protagonists ever given canon names like the rest, or are they just Sun and Moon?
Bulbapedia still has them listed as Sun and Moon.

I haven't heard anything official to counteract that so far.

D

Deleted member

Ranking trainer designs? Ranking trainer designs.

Hilbert=Hilda=Red>Serena>Calem>Leaf>Lucas>Rosa>Brendan>Nate>May>Lyra>Sun=Moon>Ethan>Dawn

On that note, were the Sun/Moon protagonists ever given canon names like the rest, or are they just Sun and Moon? I've heard Helio and Selene be thrown around but I don't know if that's just fanon or not.
Don't think they got one but it doesn't really matter much when their counterpart doesn't appear ingame at all(the only other exception being Leaf and Kris but they are still named after their games)

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Nintendo has had an issue of not knowing how to design controllers ever since the N64.
It's the exact opposite. Nintendo designs their controllers for one or two specific games, and they usually fit them perfectly, to the detriment of every other game on the market.

While Sony and Microsoft have always tried to just build an average controller that's mostly well suited for every game, but never feels 100% suited for any one title. Just look at the ps3's analog face buttons which went so unused that most people don't even realize they were analog. Because the 360 controller had full digital face buttons, and no developer was willing to implement what couldn't be done on both consoles. And now the ds4, which is otherwise a massive improvement over the old design, reverted back to digital face buttons.

Sony and Microsoft can't innovate. Not because they're creatively bankrupt, but because those innovations come at a cost of third party development. Which we see time and again with Nintendo.

Plus there's that whole debate over symmetrical or asymmetrical sticks stems directly from whether the game being played is meant to be played with the left analog stick or d-pad as the primary movement control, where FPS fans tend to prefer the XBox layout while fighting game and retro sidescroller fans prefer the PlayStation layout. It's actually a point of contention with me that Nintendo opted to follow the XBox route when so much of their design mentality is rooted in the old school.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I’d just like it if all 3 put the same lettered buttons in the same spot. It’s confusing going from the Switch pro controller to the xbone one when both have the x and y and the b and a buttons flipped.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
That reminds me: How many games these days actually make use of analog triggers outside of driving vehicles (that's the only time I can recall using analog on my experiences on the Xbox 360 & One)?

D

Deleted member

It's the exact opposite. Nintendo designs their controllers for one or two specific games, and they usually fit them perfectly, to the detriment of every other game on the market.

While Sony and Microsoft have always tried to just build an average controller that's mostly well suited for every game, but never feels 100% suited for any one title. Just look at the ps3's analog face buttons which went so unused that most people don't even realize they were analog. Because the 360 controller had full digital face buttons, and no developer was willing to implement what couldn't be done on both consoles. And now the ds4, which is otherwise a massive improvement over the old design, reverted back to digital face buttons.

Sony and Microsoft can't innovate. Not because they're creatively bankrupt, but because those innovations come at a cost of third party development. Which we see time and again with Nintendo.

Plus there's that whole debate over symmetrical or asymmetrical sticks stems directly from whether the game being played is meant to be played with the left analog stick or d-pad as the primary movement control, where FPS fans tend to prefer the XBox layout while fighting game and retro sidescroller fans prefer the PlayStation layout. It's actually a point of contention with me that Nintendo opted to follow the XBox route when so much of their design mentality is rooted in the old school.
I'll argue that Sony and Microsoft's design philosophy is better, because I'd rather much have a bunch of games that are playable well enough than only two perfectly playable ones.
N64's controller is a mess for many reasons, it doesn't fit in any normal person's hand and you can't have all buttons readily avaible on your fingers.
GC gives too much focus on the A button to the point the others feel like an afterthought and B is just a glorified back button, there's only one Z button despite there having plenty of space for another(assymmetry annoys me), C-stick is a clunky mess and the overall shape is just Not Nice for your hands.
Don't think I have to explain what the Wii's problem was and Wii U was fine for the sole exception of a whole screen being in the middle of it.

At least the Switch's controller works perfectly no matter where they're attached.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I’d just like it if all 3 put the same lettered buttons in the same spot. It’s confusing going from the Switch pro controller to the xbone one when both have the x and y and the b and a buttons flipped.
I've told this story before, but it was way back in the original leaks thread.

I went to Pax the year after the 3DS came out, and I was playing Mario Kart 7 with random people in line. When I overhear these guys ahead of me in line, they must have been around 16 or 17, talking about the 3DS. And one of them says, "I don't like the 3DS. It's stupid that Nintendo changed the button order from the Xbox." And his friend agreed with him! Just two dumbass kids with no idea that Nintendo had been using that button layout longer than they'd been alive.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
So uhh... what is the difference between analog and digital controls? lol
Digital buttons have two states. Pressed, or unpressed. On or off.

Analog buttons are like analog sticks. They measure degree of depression. In essence, you can perform multiple actions with a single button based on how you press it. Metal Gear used it quite well before they were forced to drop it because the controllers no longer were capable of it. Press the square button lightly and you'll ready your gun. Press it all the way and you'll ready and fire your weapon at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom