• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I've got a good one, mates.

An R Rated Blinky Bill. :troll:

Oh wait, that was my April Fools roleplay in a nutshell.

D

Deleted member

Guys, I've got a great idea, hear me out on this one.

Sesame Street... BUT RATED R
Nah, the internet has thought of this... Well, ever since the conception of the internet.

I remember back in the early days of youtube I'd see recommendations with these thumbnails.
Classic.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
This talk of a Rated R Sesame Street reminds me of a project this artist, Dan Luvisi, has been working on called 'Popped Culture'

All I have to say is if you want to have a look at some of the artwork, prepare to say goodbye to your childhood....some of the artwork he's made is the stuff of nightmares...

But there's also stuff that has muppets and disney characters in more serious situations...and by serious I mean like murdering each other serious...

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I've got a good one. Yooka Laylee Rated R.

Makes sense, because theres actually a joke in the game where theres a ruined ship called "Bat Ship Crazy."

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
To all those that have played or were exposed to Gaiden in some way outside of Echoes, what is your opinion of Alm and Celica as characters?

I'm only curious since I just want to know whether or not they are the kind of lords that are really well-written and likable (like Ike or Hector) or *arguably* badly portrayed and thus achieving a vocal hatebase despite doing well in popularity polls (like Chrom or Corrin).

If you need to spoil Gaiden's story just to give answer, I won't mind.
The original Gaiden doesn't really have much in the way of story, dialogue, or characterisation to go on, even for its main characters, being an NES game, but anyway. They almost get more characterisation in the Awakening DLC than they do in their own games.

I think Alm and Celica were set up somewhat as foils to each other. Celica is the more compassionate sort, suggesting to Alm that he should seek a peaceful end to the war by negotiating with the enemy, while Alm is the more aggressive sort - he just sees it as "they're attacking us, so we have to fight back harder". Though he does at least show some emotion later in the story, and he does give some thought to Celica's talk of a more peaceful resolution, but mostly it is his aggressiveness in contrast to Celica's compassion that shows through. Like I said, though, the game does not give a whole lot to go on about them, so outside of this it doesn't really give them much depth (imagine what it was like for the minor playable characters, then, who only get a line or two of dialogue at recruitment and that's that). So I can't really call them well-written or (un)likeable if they had little writing to begin with.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Nah, the internet has thought of this... Well, ever since the conception of the internet.

I remember back in the early days of youtube I'd see recommendations with these thumbnails.
Classic.
Why after all these years I have almost forgotten all about Prarie Dawn over there in that second pic.

Shame I never saw her very often after the 90's.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I made an adaptation of that Famitsu survey for Kingdom Hearts.

The questions are the same but I added some extra answer options in some cases, and also grouped different versions of the same game (like the Final Mix versions) together. CoM and Re:CoM are separate though because they are so different due to the hardware difference so they're not fundamentally the same experience. I also didn't include KH: coded or KHx because they never were released outside of Japan, but their remakes/successors were, so those are included. KHx: Back Cover wasn't included in any way either since it's not a game, but some of it's plot points are answers in a specific question.

If you have a decent degree of history with the series, then you could have some input. Two questions are also somewhat spoiler-territory (they were on the original Famitsu survey so I kept them), so if you haven't played everything up to KH 2.8, then keep that in mind before you decide to take the survey.

https://goo.gl/forms/fDLRFZNZkTaPnvPw1

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I do have to say though there is a certain Nintendo franchise that could do well being Rated R on the big screen...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I do have to say though there is a certain Nintendo franchise that could do well being Rated R on the big screen...
You mean Kirby, right?

Those poor Waddle Dees, they just wanted to go to work...they had bills to pay and families waiting for them at home... :(

D

Deleted member

The only problem with that is that people are tired of alien-like movies. Especially from the reviews I've read of Life.

To be fair though, though they could easily avoid this given that they use the variety of terrain and settings in the metroid franchise and not have the movie just be in a ship or a gloomy planet only filled with rocks and caves.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
User was warned for this post
Brain Age right?

Fire Emblem, Eternal Darkness, Fatal Frame, and Metroid could work as R rated

The only problem with that is that people are tired of alien-like movies. Especially from the reviews I've read of Life.

To be fair though, though they could easily avoid this given that they use the variety of terrain and settings in the metroid franchise and not have the movie just be in a ship or a gloomy planet only filled with rocks and caves.
Nah. Life was crap. The ending took it from forgettable to awful. Felt like an edgy teen came with that ending

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Nah. Life was crap. The ending took it from forgettable to awful. Felt like an edgy teen came with that ending
????

I didn't say anything about Life being good. I said that people are getting tired of movies like it.

And the ending wasn't so much edgy as it was telegraphed from a mile away.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
This talk of a Rated R Sesame Street reminds me of a project this artist, Dan Luvisi, has been working on called 'Popped Culture'

All I have to say is if you want to have a look at some of the artwork, prepare to say goodbye to your childhood....some of the artwork he's made is the stuff of nightmares...

But there's also stuff that has muppets and disney characters in more serious situations...and by serious I mean like murdering each other serious...
upload_2017-4-10_22-34-0.png

D'aww.

Note to self - if I ever do anything on Kickstarter, first adopt two cats for planned Cat Food tier.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
????

I didn't say anything about Life being good. I said that people are getting tired of movies like it.
You said people are tired of them. I disagree. We do have Alien Covenant coming later this which will do well. Unless its complete trash.
There's never been an M rated Metroid so why have an R rated Metroid movie?
Because Metroid takes heavy inspiration from a hard R movie series

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean I'm just done with the Alien franchise at this point and even films in it's mold. Life looked like a rip-off.

Metroid movie would probably revive that particular genre of film and feel like a breath of fresh air, because I'm sorry Ridley Scott I really don't give a crap what happened before the originals and Jake G and Ryan Reynolds might be pretty as hell, but I'll pass on Life for being Wal-Mart Great Value Alien.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Honestly I want Blomkamp's Alien 5. Anything that makes 3 and Resurrection noncanon is good in my books.

D

Deleted member

Also, weird fact about Life: the reason why the movie exists is because it's technically based off a book called Gravity. Yep, which the movie Gravity seems to take from, except it excluded the alien lifeform. The lawsuits are basically what spawned this movie.

You said people are tired of them. I disagree. We do have Alien Covenant coming later this which will do well. Unless its complete trash.
Nah, space horror has been overdone for awhile now. I mean, of course they don't pop up nearly as often as a genre such a superhero movies, but the difference is that there's rarely a good isolated space movie.

And my bets are that Alien Covenant is going to be mixed at best like Life is right now, there hasn't been all that much from the trailers to make me think otherwise.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
View attachment 127815

D'aww.

Note to self - if I ever do anything on Kickstarter, first adopt two cats for planned Cat Food tier.
Yeah...Dan loves his cats...

There's never been an M rated Metroid so why have an R rated Metroid movie?
The reason I say this is because Metroid thrives off of a more mature setting....at times it is borderline a survival horror and given what some of the antagonizing alien creatures (Space Pirates, Metroids, Ridley, etc) are capable of you easily can imagine some more graphic scenes happening in a movie...

The franchise was heavily based off of the Alien movies afterall...

As much as it takes it's influence from Alien, Metroid isn't just some random sci0fi horror...there's a lot that goes into Metroid that makes it stand out such as the environments as you mentioned....

I can imagine a Metroid movie sort of being a cross between Alien and Avatar in a way...perhaps with a sprinkle of Star Wars...

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Also, weird fact about Life: the reason why the movie exists is because it's technically based off a book called Gravity. Yep, which the movie Gravity seems to take from, except it excluded the alien lifeform. The lawsuits are basically what spawned this movie.

Nah, space horror has been overdone for awhile now. I mean, of course they don't pop up nearly as often as a genre such a superhero movies, but the difference is that there's rarely a good isolated space movie.

And my bets are that Alien Covenant is going to be mixed at best like Life is right now, there hasn't been all that much from the trailers to make me think otherwise.
After Prometheus I wouldn't be surprised if it got mixed reviews.
And I bet Sony wishes Life really was a Venom prequel

D

Deleted member

As much as it takes it's influence from Alien, Metroid isn't just some random sci0fi horror...there's a lot that goes into Metroid that makes it stand out such as the environments as you mentioned....

I can imagine a Metroid movie sort of being a cross between Alien and Avatar in a way...perhaps with a sprinkle of Star Wars...
I know that, if they actually use stuff from the games it wouldn't be hard to make AT LEAST an entertaining movie.

The thing is though, knowing hollywood, it'd likely be a bland alien knock off where Samus is in her Zero Suit for most of the movie trying to survive in a space ship, and then in the last 30-10 minutes she gets her suit...

After Prometheus I wouldn't be surprised if it got mixed reviews.
I still don't even know how people came to that conclusion, the creature was NOTHING like a symbiote.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That would have been too smart and ingenious for them.

Plus I really really really dislike Sony anyway with their need for spin-offs of Spider-Man.

They REALLY should just let Marvel do everything and collect the money.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I know that, if they actually use stuff from the games it wouldn't be hard to make AT LEAST an entertaining movie.

The thing is though, knowing hollywood, it'd likely be a bland alien knock off where Samus is in her Zero Suit for most of the movie trying to survive in a space ship, and then in the last 30-10 minutes she gets her suit...

I still don't even know how people came to that conclusion, the creature was NOTHING like a symbiote.
That's why you get someone to make the movie that actually knows a thing or two about the games...

D

Deleted member

That's why you get someone to make the movie that actually knows a thing or two about the games...
Executives never really have that idea when it comes to video games though, for whatever reason.

Hopefully that'll change.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

I don't either, but I think it was because the Venom movie was announced a few days before it came out
Executives never really have that idea when it comes to video games though, for whatever reason.
Assassin's Creed was pretty faithful to the games. Still sucked though

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think the fact that Resident Evil made major bucks as a film franchise but had like only 20 percent in common with it's game franchise doesn't deter Hollywod execs from just going ''Well, can we just do this but still slap the recognizable name on it?"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Assassin's Creed was pretty faithful to the games. Still sucked though
As was Ratchet and Clank, and that also sucked.

I think the fact that Resident Evil made major bucks as a film franchise but had like only 20 percent in common with it's game franchise doesn't deter Hollywod execs from just going ''Well, can we just do this but still slap the recognizable name on it?"
Also pretty bad movies.

Hmmm... Perhaps the best thing to do is to find someone who knows the source material well, but also has the talent to adapt into a good movie. Actually, even if it does have changes big or small.

People often confuse that, the point of adaptations isn't to exactly replicate the original. It's to take the original and put your own spin on it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm always leery of first person shooters and fighting games becoming movies more than any genre. Simply because those are often the franchises where yes there are stories and even in the cases of Halo some solid ones. The story is second to the over the top nature of the gameplay.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wait.

Life was related to the Alien movies?

Status