• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Meanwhile, a lesson in actually good ****posting.

Honestly nobody can make fun of Sonic anymore, the franchise does that itself for us. I can only imagine if they got the social media guys to tap their humour in the games
Wait, why is the Switch port of LEGO City: Undercover $60?

The Wii U port was $50 back in the day.
Because money. And the loading times are STILL awful

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I noted that this thread love having drama for some reason from time to time. I don't know, maybe because someone is watching us to make his new anime called "Hokuto no Smash"?
Eh, in any case, I'm still in my bed with my throat sick, far away from the drama of the Internet.

Oh and, Jim Sterling apparantly said that Yooka-Laylee was as bad or even worse as Aliens Colonial Marines, Umbrella Corps and No Man Sky.

Can you feel the salt in the air?:4dk:
I'm okay with him not liking the game, but 2/10 sounds a bit too harsh.

I'm my eyes, a 2/10 is close to unplayable, and I doubt Yooka-Laylee, despite its faults, falls into that category.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Making a joke at someone's expense is always a crappy thing to do. Doing so to their face is the same as insulting them. In my stupid race to get laughs it's easy to forget that. So @Jason the Yoshi, I apologize

From now on, I will only make fun of Steve Bannon

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I just met a dude who got the "Take your heart" Edition of Persona 5 and the Persona 5 gushing happend over the fact he was using the bag that came with the special edition.

Man was talking to him fun

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I can't lie, I did laugh at the banana peel part, but yeah. that's just a **** move.

---

Latest Extra Credit talks about Auteurs and how our view of them tends to be skewed (think Hideo Kojima, or Sakurai).

Are we going to get a repeat of what happened when he gave BotW a 7/10?
I don't know, I wasn't here when the "7/10 BOTW" case happened.
Tough, I don't really take Jim review of modern game seriously anyway. I prefer his content about ****ty game and the ****ty dev he face. The rest of his content is "eh" to me. (Also, I'm totally going to watch that video now)
**** this drama bull****, I'm watch Fate/Zero Ranger's Bizarre Space Adventure

Usually I'd defend Jim as he's usually reasonable, BotW's 7 isn't a ****ing warcrime, but 2/10 was really, really stupid imo. He also called Laylee racist in the review iirc
Wait, he called the bat racist? 2/10?
Holy deer, what did the game did to him to trigger his berserk button that much?

Last edited:

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614

CGP Grey just released a new video on ad on Youtube. It's pretty interesting considering the state of things on Youtube and ads there.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Tough, I don't really take Jim review of modern game seriously anyway. I prefer his content about ****ty game and the ****ty dev he face. The rest of his content is "eh" to me. (Also, I'm totally going to watch that video now)

Holy deer, what did the game did to him to trigger his berserk button that much?
Anyone reasonable would say the 7/10 is fair, he liked the game, his 7/10 is Good and it said Good, but he had flaws with it on something people all agree could be better

I'm my eyes, a 2/10 is close to unplayable, and I doubt Yooka-Laylee, despite its faults, falls into that category.
Jim's site didn't get DDoS'ed or however it's spelled because of the Yooka Laylee review and Jim himself said people didn't give him enough **** to laugh at the fanbase

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

He gave BotW a 7/10 and a bunch of people went berserk about it. God forbid someone doesn't enjoy something as much as you do. The same goes here. Perhaps a 2/10 may be harsh for some, but for others, it's a perfect spot to place it. Standards change from person to person, getting worked up because someone had a vastly different experience to you is silly. Just move on with your day.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
He gave BotW a 7/10 and a bunch of people went berserk about it. God forbid someone doesn't enjoy something as much as you do. The same goes here. Perhaps a 2/10 may be harsh for some, but for others, it's a perfect spot to place it. Standards change from person to person, getting worked up because someone had a vastly different experience to you is silly. Just move on with your day.
Honestly, the 7/10 case seem just silly. Nothing to add on that.
It's just funny to me that the despise so much Yooka-Laylee. I would have expected a 5/10 from him, but a 2? That kinda shocked me. But I don't really care about the game, so, I can move on with my life as usual.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Honestly nobody can make fun of Sonic anymore, the franchise does that itself for us. I can only imagine if they got the social media guys to tap their humour in the games

Because money. And the loading times are STILL awful
As much as I love a batch of tasty Sanic memes fresh from the oven in the morning, I'd rather the writing of the games not degenerate into just memes all of the time.

I mean this stuff could work great in the games if incorporated as Easter Eggs or secret unlockable stuff or something, but I still want some legitimately compelling adventures with these characters.

After playing the Toybox+ Demo, and watching a bunch of reviews with varying opinions, it's definitely not a 2/10 game.

I mean I hate arbitrary review scores anyway, but the game is not bad by any stretch. Even with the frame rate drops on console and camera problems, it still looks at least decent and fans of the genre will find it at least worth one playthrough.

That said, it definitely has it's quirky moments...

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
*gives low score to video game*
"Your opinion is objectively false"

*says something racist*
"Well, who can say what is right or wrong???"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Honestly, the 7/10 case seem just silly. Nothing to add on that.
It's just funny to me that the despise so much Yooka-Laylee. I would have expected a 5/10 from him, but a 2? That kinda shocked me. But I don't really care about the game, so, I can move on with my life as usual.
7 is reasonable as again, it's 'Good' in his grade and he had legit criticisms

Also holy **** I can't believe the gold Ranger in this sentai is actually the best character AND voiced by Josuke. GUREITO DAZE

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I've never cared much for Yooka-Laylee myself. Just feels like a game that only people who played Collect-a-thons would enjoy, and since that's a dead genre, not many. Note, there's a distinct difference between knowing what a Collect-a-thon is and actually being interested in one. If you ask me, Yooka-Laylee failed in getting people not acquainted with the genre interested. There's just nothing that really grabs them aside from "HEY KIDS! REMEMBER BANJO-KAZOOIE?!"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The racist thing was a figurative joke though, it wasn't an actual criticism.

It's like when people say that Shaggy from Scooby Doo is a stoner.
Bull****, because there's no way in hell Shaggy WASN'T a stoner
As much as I love a batch of tasty Sanic memes fresh from the oven in the morning, I'd rather the writing of the games not degenerate into just memes all of the time.

I mean this stuff could work great in the games if incorporated as Easter Eggs or secret unlockable stuff or something, but I still want some legitimately compelling adventures with these characters.

After playing the Toybox+ Demo, and watching a bunch of reviews with varying opinions, it's definitely not a 2/10 game.

I mean I hate arbitrary review scores anyway, but the game is not bad by any stretch. Even with the frame rate drops on console and camera problems, it still looks at least decent and fans of the genre will find it at least worth one playthrough.

That said, it definitely has it's quirky moments...

Not necessarily for the story but stuff like the Eggman Park Announcement stuff

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've never cared much for Yooka-Laylee myself. Just feels like a game that only people who played Collect-a-thons would enjoy, and since that's a dead genre, not many. Note, there's a distinct difference between knowing what a Collect-a-thon is and actually being interested in one. If you ask me, Yooka-Laylee failed in getting people not acquainted with the genre interested. There's just nothing that really grabs them aside from "HEY KIDS! REMEMBER BANJO-KAZOOIE?!"
It failed in grabbing people disinterested in the genre because it actively was trying not to. It was made for people who already liked Rare's previous classics and other similar games like Super Mario 64 and Spyro the Dragon.

That doesn't invalidate all of the criticisms by any means, but it's something to keep in mind when talking about the game.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
It failed in grabbing people disinterested in the genre because it actively was trying not to. It was made for people who already liked Rare's previous classics and other similar games like Super Mario 64 and Spyro the Dragon.

That doesn't invalidate all of the criticisms by any means, but it's something to keep in mind when talking about the game.
My point is, because it's banking so hard on that, there's really nothing to make it stand out.

Freedom Planet is a game that tries to grab people who loved Genesis Sonic titles, but it expanded on that idea rather than just banking on it. "This looks like Sonic, but WOAH! You can't do that in Sonic! Play our game."

D

Deleted member

Something something "there's no such thing as a completely objective review" something

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
If there is one thing you gotta give YL credit for, is that atleast there is no "pizza explosion" or similar thing like that in-game as far as I know.
Because gosh, I still ask myself how the team was able to create those...."wonderful" explosion. (Megumi can't compete against those, I tell ya:101:)

D

Deleted member

Bull****, because there's no way in hell Shaggy WASN'T a stoner
True, perhaps that's a bad example, because Shaggy is a stoner.

Review scores technically aren't objective means, a 7/10 for instance can mean that a game is great to one person but that it's just average to others, in fact, 5/10 is considered average for many, but to many others that's considered bad.

I wish reviewers didn't rely on them so much, people have an obsession over them. It's much more important to look at what the review is saying rather than what the score is.

Something something "there's no such thing as a completely objective review" something
Stop stealing my ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Speaking of Yooka-Laylee.

The day one patch removing Jontron does some more things.

Like fixing camera and framerate issues.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...e-update-will-improve-performance-the-camera/
Seeing the issues they're patching along with being reminded JonTron has to be patched out made me devise a Game Theory:

"Did Playtonic/Team17 INTENTIONALLY release Yooka-Laylee in an unpolished state, so they could make sure everyone would download the JonTron removal patch even if they wanted both a good game AND JonTron in the game!?"

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
The mixed reception to YL is actually pretty interesting to watch. Usually, there's a general consensus on a game in the critic circles. You'd be surprised at the pressure some reviewers face by both fans and other press members to stay line in regards to their reviews. Honestly, this sort of group-think stifles critique and the medium in general. A more free and varied review circle would some good for everyone as a whole.

http://tinyletter.com/KyleOrl/letters/the-game-beat-weekly-the-pressure-to-stay-in-line

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Can someone explain me the Collectathon genre?

Inb4 omg wtf Mandarina you never played Banjo?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can someone explain me the Collectathon genre?

Inb4 omg wtf Mandarina you never played Banjo?
Games that focus on having the player collect lots and lots of different kinds of objects in the game, that are required to access certain kinds of content in the game. In order to avoid being overly repetitive, they tend to also have some collectibles be rewards for some kind of mini-game or challenge. 100% completion involves collecting everything. Level design is usually open-ended instead of linear, and they are usually a sub-genre of the platformer genre (though some games like open world RPGs can incorporate Collectathon elements).

Mario 64 could count
You explore a big world and collect items, which in Yooka Laylee's case, lets you make the worlds bigger or unlock more worlds
Mario 64 isn't really a good example.

Power Stars are just really glorified end of level goal posts, with many only being available by you selecting the specific mission they are tied to. It has Collectathon elements with the Red Coin missions and the 100-coin star in each world, but the game itself is not a Collectathon as a whole.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I wish more reviewers took SomecallmeJohnny's approach to reviewing.

Give an overall summary of what you liked and didn't like at the end, and not a score.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Give an overall summary of what you liked and didn't like at the end, and not a score.
That's the dream.

Unfortunately, most reviewers don't do this as it's difficult to have any mainstream relevancy with that system.

It's amazing how GameXplain is such a big name despite ditching their score system.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I really do wish people stopped pushing the "objective review" bull****. Someone tried arguing that big review outlets are horrible because they review "superfluous" stuff like, story, or character design, they want to know about the "game." Well, last I checked, all of that was part of the game, and can create a wildly different experience. Detailing how a game controls, or what button "jump" is mapped to doesn't tell me anything about the experience.

It's just tactics to deter people from critically analyzing games. You can't want video games to be a respected medium, and then fling **** the moment someone delves deeper into critic.

Last edited:

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614

I don't think there nothing inherently wrong with a numerical score, but it should not replaced a well thought-out piece. Getting people to actually read the full review is closer to the actual issue. Too many people just look at the number and stop there. Metacritc can be useful to collect and thoroughly read multiple opinions.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I don't think there nothing inherently wrong with a numerical score, but it should not replaced a well thought-out piece. Getting people to actually read the full review is closer to the actual issue. Too many people just look at the number and stop there. Metacritc can be useful to collect and thoroughly read multiple opinions.
Well the best way to get people to focus on the review rather than the number is to just remove the number entirely and let the words speak.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Well, shortly after the original Club Penguin was taken down in Disney in favor of the supposedly inferior mobile substitute (I haven't looked into it yet so I can't offer my opinion on it), it turns out that there is a better replacement called Club Penguin Revisited. It's the Club Penguin from about 2012-ish (I'm not quite sure) and there's free membership. So far I've been enjoying it a lot by reliving the Club Penguin I remember while having access to the games before the old CP completely blocked off some of the modes for seemingly no reason, thanks to the free membership permitting things like Survival mode of that surfing minigame. If you guys ever see a black-colored penguin named Drawcia, likely hanging around the crowded servers or Ascent, that's me.
Speaking of Club Penguin, I started up a YouTube channel and created five videos where I played it in its last days. They're my first YouTube videos though, so they're really unprofessional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom