• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They die.

They leave their sack of meat behind.

They then wander the Earth seeking purpose in their afterlife. But there truly is no greater purpose for them or special meaning to their afterlife, they're just like dust in the wind.

...Which is why there could be a character who uses ghosts and makes pod people/moving manikins out of them. Ghosts are a resource to them. This character could incorporate this into their moveset (you're making a fighting game IIRC, right?). Maybe make this character Hades or some similar character? Maybe even the Grim Reaper? Whatever works best for the mythological themes of the game I guess.

There could also be a character that acts as a rival/foil to them. Maybe a Buddhist monk type of character. Since Buddhism is all about the purification of one's spirit, this character, upon discovering the hapless spirits wandering without purpose (maybe he's the only human who can actually see them, or he's part of a temple of monks that is specifically trained to "hunt" lost spirits), decides to set up some kind of sanctuary for spirits, where they come to go about their afterlife in peace, as if being part of a community of the living once again. Since the word "Buddhism" is derived from the word "budhi" (which IIRC is part of the sacred Pali language), which translates as "to awaken" in English, I think this could be an appropriate way of mixing the Ancient Greek interpretation of spirits with the Buddhist interpretation of spirituality.

I don't know how well something like that fits into the context of your game but it's something to work off of, I guess. Buddhism may not strictly fall under the typical definition of "mythology", but all classic mythological universes of lore were once strictly followed as religions. Both mythology and religion are quite malleable for the context of creative works, as they really represent a people's culture more than anything.
It's an RPG now but...

Hmmm.....

There could be something useful here.

Thank you too all who replied btw.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd love to say something about the guy but I really can't say anything without spoiling stuff
Well, he's a Protector, I guess... who doesn't have any of the Elemental Walls learned, one of the best Guilds my ass

Last edited by a moderator:

InsaneAlchemist

Smash Cadet
So, not sure what to do when April Fools comes around tomorrow. I planned to send a random meme to everyone on my Steam friends list but that's it. I've never been a mischievous sort.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I finally beat the puzzle in the 5th level of Bol Dorr's realm on Snake Pass.

I went a way that they didn't probably intend on it being solved.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm a little surprised we haven't been bombarded with 40th anniversary Star Wars stuff yet.

Maybe they're waiting for May (both for Star Wars Day (4th) and the day "A New Hope" released (25th))

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'm a little surprised we haven't been bombard with 40th anniversary Star Wars stuff yet.

Maybe they're waiting for May (both for Star Wars Day (4th) and the day A New Hope released (25th))
Star Wars Celebration is in 2 weeks.
Episode 8 trailer, Rebels Season 4 trailer and a bunch of other stuff will happen.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So, not sure what to do when April Fools comes around tomorrow. I planned to send a random meme to everyone on my Steam friends list but that's it. I've never been a mischievous sort.
I'll probably take a 1 day hiatus to avoid the joke the mods might have planned for April Fools this year.

I've never been much of an April Fools Prankster.

D

Deleted member

Ah yes, babysitting, my favorite kind of quest

Though it's one of those that has some story in it, and also starts a line of sidequests that lead to a superboss in the postgame, but I'm getting ahead of myself

Anyways, joining Opossum and Swamp in the last Squad are

"Didn't ask to be here". Will be focusing on the Ailments more than Binds since Opossum is gonna love those

"Lost a drinking contest". I need damage and Ailing Slash needs too much setup

"The GM got tired of your useless asses dying all the time". Because the rest of the team is made of paper.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Oh.. oh my god.

That tasted awful.

Though it's one of those that has some story in it, and also starts a line of sidequests that lead to a superboss in the postgame, but I'm getting ahead of myself

"Didn't ask to be here". Will be focusing on the Ailments more than Binds since Opossum is gonna love those

"The GM got tired of your useless ***** dying all the time". Because the rest of the team is made of paper.
You should mention me whenever I'm active in this.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Joss Whedon is notorious for being unable to write compelling women. Why are they giving him Batgirl? So he can make it Quipfest 2018?

Also I'm pretty sure we'll get Wolverine and Deadpool at the very least in the base game. The X-Men are pretty prominent in Contest of Champions (which was being developed under Ike Perlmutter, mind you) so I don't see why we wouldn't get them in Infinite at launch.
So I wasn't the only one worried about that? It's not just female characters, I just feel like he makes everyone a "sassy" know it all in their dialogue. It's like everyone is trying to be Buffy or Spider-Man, but failing terribly at it. Granted, I've always been more of a Nightwing, Supergirl and Kid Flash fan when it comes to sidekicks. So I'm not even sure I'd watch Batgirl.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Multiple mythologies.

Everything from Jewish, to Greek, to Japanese, to Norse, etc.
Melting pot. Alright. A lot of that's gonna be dealer's choice, narratively, but mechanically I might have some ideas.

Funnily enough, ghosts are a lot like writing, or artistry, in that they could use multiple means or methods to get their point across, and it could either be a faithful or fanciful representation of the truth.

Consider a ghost a sort of psychic imprint, a signature left behind by something mortal. Assume then a medium inherent in living things - a soul - which it imprints upon. Regarding the metaphor, you could think of this as a layered pattern of sand in a glass jar. So long as the jar - the mortal shell - remains intact, so too will the pattern, and the sand in turn will do its best to settle and conform to that jar's shape.

The mortal creature has spent its entire life shaping its glass jar in a particular fashion, and at the moment of death it's very likely that they'll retain that form - but when the glass shatters, that becomes a point of contention. Therefore, what follows makes them differentiate.

Will acts like water in this sand, binding it together. If it is weak, the shape may become indistinct, perhaps forming around the last few emotions held, such as poltergeists. They may latch on to a favored memory or story, or one they find suitable considering the circumstances of their demise, and thus take a similar form; the more stories the deceased had access to, the more options they would have. If its will is strong enough - due to purpose, sense of self, or the like - it may hold together entirely, becoming an after-image of the deceased. And if it is strong enough to realize that, being unbounded by their jar, they may mold the sands however they wish, their form becomes a matter of choice.

Favorable or disfavorable circumstances can lead to different concentrations of will. Sometimes this is as simple as the differences between hope and despair, the desire to retain a self or the lack thereof. People can even prepare for it, to an extent. It can be affected by coherence and self-awareness, though it should be noted that will in its purest form is not necessarily sentient or coherent itself, and eliminating either of those doesn't necessarily dampen the will, depending on what it was after.

It is finally worth noting what could occur over time. The sand, free of the jar, begins to dry out. Without the assistance of a body to provide it direction, the will slowly dissipates, unless refreshed. It can refresh itself for simple directives, but holding together a whole person is more difficult, as any part not focused on has a great chance of vanishing. It is akin to volatile memory, only retaining its data while powered. Phantasmal beings may crumble as parts of themselves are lost, leaving nothing - or they may change, becoming honed and distilled down to a certain essence of will, whatever it was that occupied their focus the most.

The afterlife could be conjured gatherings of this substance, constructs of will, molded in the fashion of whatever the wills holding it together presume it should be like, and placed wherever they're expected to be located.

(You'll pardon me if this seems to be fashioning itself as it goes along. It was exactly that.)

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
One of my most favorite April Fools' jokes is from McLeodGaming last year: Their joke was making you believe the Sandbag fighter was an April Fool's joke (but Sandbag's really going to be playable in the next demo).
In other words, the No-Mixup Mixup.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Joss Whedon is notorious for being unable to write compelling women.
Point of curiosity as a writer who someday seeks to do this.

What examples would you present for compelling women's characters?

Anyone else feel free to chime in as well.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

I hope you'll be alright and this storm will pass through your area quickly with little to no damage done like any regular thunderstorm. Stay safe!

EDIT: Disregard the accidental like.
you know you could of kept the like on the post lol

but yeah Im on a tornado warning until 7:00pm

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
you know you could of kept the like on the post lol

but yeah Im on a tornado warning until 7:00pm
I decided to put it back in; I for some reason had the mindset that liking a post that someone was under a tornado warning didn't feel right at that moment in time. >_<

I imagine it'll be done in about 35 minutes for you then.

well a tornado has been spotted im downstairs now
Oh boy; I really do hope you'll be safe.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

"The GM got tired of your useless ***** dying all the time". Because the rest of the team is made of paper.
"ChikoLad - his smile and optimism, gone."

Pretty accurate to be honest.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
?

Do you have proof of this?
yes...its in the psot you can see the characters moving around and while one is a chibified vic viper from gradius the other is clearly piramid head complete with clever (you can get a better look at them in the game theory stream around 51 minutes in)

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
yes...its in the psot you can see the characters moving around and while one is a chibified vic viper from gradius the other is clearly piramid head complete with clever (you can get a better look at them in the game theory stream around 51 minutes in)

I saw them. In the one where the portraits are absent, you can definitely see Pyramid Head. And I can also definitely see the other character's resemblance to Vic Viper, although I'm not entirely positive on if it is, considering Konami does a whole number of Shoot-em-Ups besides Gradius, like Twinbee and Parodius.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
oh hey and a flash flood warning, yay

yeah, its 4 hours from where I live
That explains it; I was watching a Turn Left practice at their racetrack when they suddenly got scared.

Officers: "All on-track activity cancelled"
Teams: "But the weather will clear up at night and we have lights"
Officers: "Supercell fam"
Teams: "Oh..."

Now my bois are trapped in their haulers until the storm passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom