• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
No matter how the cartridge thing goes, I think we can all at least rest easy that it can't possibly get any more crazy than Angry Birds 3DS.

Anyone remember that? Yeah. . .

I think Switch is doing pretty OK so far in comparison to that incident even with the worst case scenarios, LOL

Ivander

Smash Legend
Third-parties aren't just like "lol let's make the Switch version more expensive cuz itd be funny, dum Nintendo fans dur hur", it does cost more to make the cartridges than the discs. And Nintendo's policy is games have to be a uniform price on their systems, so the digital version can't reflect the cheaper cost of production.

It is due to Nintendo.

God is it 1997 up in here?

edit: already been covered but still.
They are, but having a higher price when the game is cheaper on other platforms is not a good idea. Why get it for one system if it's cheaper on another? All it will do is stack up the amount of unsold games and making more cartridges will only hurt them if they aren't selling. And it will be because "They" made the choice to make it more expensive. Nintendo did not decide for them.
Some publishers decide to absorb the costs, some believe the profit will outweigh the extra costs, and some don't.

Also if the title is just digital there's no need to be upping it for physical production costs.
So in other words, the people doing "Minecraft" don't think it would worth it. They don't believe "Minecraft" will do good enough to outweigh the extra costs....

Edit: I need to get off for a moment. I've been tired and frustrated this morning, so I need to take some time off, cooldown and get my bearings rather than vent it out at people who don't need such.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm referring to physical games.

Still, is the cost THAT high?
Not being a publisher or manufacturer, I wouldn't be able to say. If it were just an isolated incident I'd agree it would seem fishy, but it's not.

And really if companies were trying to milk the consumer by upping the price of their game on one platform don't you think they'd go for the proven, successful system with the larger install base than the unproven one where third-parties tend to not fare as well?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not being a publisher or manufacturer, I wouldn't be able to say. If it were just an isolated incident I'd agree it would seem fishy, but it's not.

And really if companies were trying to milk the consumer by upping the price of their game on one platform don't you think they'd go for the proven, successful system with the larger install base than the unproven one where third-parties tend to not fare as well?
I don't think they're trying to sabotage Nintendo or anything like that.

But I just find it odd that this causes a 10 dollar increase.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They are, but having a higher price when the game is cheaper on other platforms is not a good idea. Why get it for one system if it's cheaper on another? All it will do is stack up the amount of unsold games and making more cartridges will only hurt them if they aren't selling. And it will be because "They" made the choice to make it more expensive. Nintendo did not decide for them.
I agree. But this is an argument for why it shouldn't happen at all, and it already is.

Though people may get it for one system over another because not everyone owns both.

So in other words, the people doing "Minecraft" don't think it would worth it. They don't believe "Minecraft" will do good enough to outweigh the extra costs....
Like I said, some decide to absorb the costs, and some don't. Some may just not want to take a manufacturing hit at all. It's their prerogative. When Nintendo used discs, Minecraft was the same price as the others.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Edit: I need to get off for a moment. I've been tired and frustrated this morning, so I need to take some time off, cooldown and get my bearings rather than vent it out at people who don't need such.
The people doing "Angry Birds" didn't think it was worth offsetting the extra costs to be on 3DS despite it's popularity.

Probably not the best metric for general Nintendo company faith, LOL.

Doesn't mobile have the larger install base and undercut equivalent console offerings by a ton?

They're already charging more for smaller install bases.

Not saying they're milking instead of recouping costs, but costs do scale inveresely from consumer base size pretty consistently. Mobile is cheaper than PC is cheaper than console.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The MK8 Deluxe JP website went up, and I was able to extract the 2D artwork of some of the characters that the Miiverse stamps from the original game were based on. Just in case anyone wants it. Includes some new characters.

Also, a new render of Link.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The MK8 Deluxe JP website went up, and I was able to extract the 2D artwork of some of the characters that the Miiverse stamps from the original game were based on. Just in case anyone wants it. Includes some new characters.

Also, some new artwork of Link.

funny how there is no villager stamp

Chrono.

Welp, that's 6 Omnimons running around now. At least this one is kinda different though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Doesn't mobile have the larger install base and undercut equivalent console offerings by a ton?

They're already charging more for smaller install bases.

Not saying they're milking instead of recouping costs, but costs do scale inveresely from consumer base size pretty consistently. Mobile is cheaper than PC is cheaper than console.
That's because mobile ventures won't sell unless they're dirt cheap thanks to the race to the bottom on that platform. It's a very different ecosystem and devs make allowances for that. The cost versus profit structure on there is much different than in the other spaces. That's a market where many of the baseline products are completely free, which isn't a tactic the others embrace, because of differences in the ecosystem, volume of the market, and willingness of the consumer. Also, it's entirely digital.

PC is also cheaper, if it is cheaper, because there are rarely manufacturing costs. That market is also almost completely digital, which cuts out much of the production expenses. The main reason given for these upticks in price are non-existent (or very uncommon) for these cheaper markets, do you suspect there might be a correlation?

The barometer to measure equivalency is best for other actual consoles, whereby the parallels of structure and production is the closest.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I managed to get into splat a little before the hour mark!

Doing matches, testing servers, etc.

. . .Getting destroyed, wow. XD Is this what was hiding in Ranked S?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Of all the Xenoblade X villains, they wanted Goetia the most. I guess they just happen to like her design the most of the villains other than being female.

This one is a bit tricky since it covers an upcoming game Xenoblade 2. But I'm sure most of you know enough thanks to GaneXplain and the Xenoblade wiki. Your choices are Rex, Hikari, Nia, and Homura. This one will be interesting.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Now to finish watching this boring movie (Life).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Of all the Xenoblade X villains, they wanted Goetia the most. I guess they just happen to like her design the most of the villains other than being female.

This one is a bit tricky since it covers an upcoming game Xenoblade 2. But I'm sure most of you know enough thanks to GaneXplain and the Xenoblade wiki. Your choices are Rex, Hikari, Nia, and Homura. This one will be interesting.

I dunno who to pick out these characters we know next to nothing about,

Also how is Life? Considered watching it, but Power Rangers and Logan are my films of the month, nothing else this month

InsaneAlchemist

Smash Cadet
Goodbye school, and hello Spring Break!

Time to make some progress on my Terraria solo run and practice my Dedede and Luigi.

Also everyone gets to play Splatoon 2 while I'm still saving up for the Switch.

D

Deleted member

Voted Homura.

I would rather have the new KOS-MOS than my boy 2.0.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Also how is Life? Considered watching it, but Power Rangers and Logan are my films of the month, nothing else this month
You're right, it's too early for now and actually playing the game would make it better.

So far, it starts off a bit slow. They found a new life form and it rapidly grows from one cell. I can tell it might go for the horror route.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

The ending is awful.

Why are you using your phone in the theater?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Hah, my two bars problem is nothing, online works like a charm!

Getting this, getting paid online, GotY. LOL

The graphics bump over the original is MUCH more obvious in person, everything feels crisp outta the grocery. Love that waiting room music, too!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Welp, that's 6 Omnimons running around now. At least this one is kinda different though.
What's weird about it is that most of the Omnimons came from the past two years, before then the only one that came out was Zwart and Omnimon X and the former debuted half a year before the 15th anniversary. It's almost like they're trying to make up for lost time with all of the Omnimons they've been throwing out lately.

But as you say, at least this one tries to switch it up in a more distinct way, which is more then I could say with some of the others.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
In Splatoon 1, did the Inklings have a drowning animation before dying in water?

And lost a 3 vs 4 match (no surprise here)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just beat Conquest C21
Man, I love this chapter, I wish FE had more escape missions.
It wasn't THAT hard though, just manage the DVs and you won't get surrounded by Faceless.
Though that gets harder on Lunatic where there are less DVs or if you don't have a flier who is basically required if you want to get some of them in time.
The last part where you ask yourself "can everyone make it?" because one mistake and an unit is dead for sure.

Also, today is my boy Benny's birthday, let's give him some love for this big bear right here

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Thanks for the spoilers guys. Now I know Life will be overhyped trash just like The Split.

Good thing I'm still waiting on the Power Rangers. :awesome:

Also, phones during the movie is a sin. Those who do it deserve to be punished.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Thanks for the spoilers guys. Now I know Life will be overhyped trash just like The Split.

Good thing I'm still waiting on the Power Rangers. :awesome:

Also, phones during the movie is a sin. Those who do it deserve to be punished.
Split is actually a sequel

BREEEEH!

I remember watching the Hobbit and some arsehole kept getting called and refused to turn the phone off

Staarih

Smash Master
Splatoon 2 testfire was fun, playing it with a different controller (other than Wii U) does take some time getting used to though.

InsaneAlchemist

Smash Cadet
Speaking of movies and theaters, I've been seeing these Boss Baby trailers. While they may make me vomit in my mouth, at the same time I want to check it out just to see how bileworthy it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom