• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sometimes I feel people try to hide from politics too much. I get that it's stressful to think about, but it's still a important subject in life, and in regards to the Oscars, art is one of the best, most influential ways to express ideas on politics.
But what if the ideas in said art are ideas that you feel are wrong or ideas you feel go too far?

I agree that people hide from politics too much, but I feel that avoiding Hollywood's idea of politics is justified for many.

Plus you know, the picks are always wrong and the speeches go on forever and my picks often aren't even there as nominations! WHY ME?!?

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
We got a new Fire Emblem Heroes trailer confirming the next Focus Event:

The new heroes that will be added:
  • Eldigan and Lachesis from Genealogy of the Holy War
  • Reinhardt and Olwen from Thracia 776
  • Klein from Binding Blade
  • Sanaki from Radiant Dawn
I'm surprised Ike and Leif aren't the first characters to represent their games for Heroes.

D

Deleted member

Sometimes I feel people try to hide from politics too much.
I mean, when that's all you see when you go almost anywhere, then yes, I'd understand why. I don't think we're on a shortage of people heated on politics, like, at all. People are engaged in it now more than ever.

I get that it's stressful to think about, but it's still a important subject in life, and in regards to the Oscars, art is one of the best, most influential ways to express ideas on politics.
I mean, sure, it's good to be kept up in politics, especially economics and local politics, but the Oscars didn't give us any important political information. It's the run of the mill "The country is divided" speeches, Trump jabs, and run of the mill diversity pandering The word you're looking for is pleasing, not influential. It's pleasing to people who already agree with what's being stated. There's movies and people there that are definitely influential, but the show itself wasn't influential.

The movies are art, the Oscars are not. The Oscars influence people what movies are good without having to watch those said movies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We got a new Fire Emblem Heroes trailer confirming the next Focus Event:

The new heroes that will be added:
  • Eldigan and Lachesis from Genealogy of the Holy War
  • Reinhardt and Olwen from Thracia 776
  • Klein from Binding Blade
  • Sanaki from Radiant Dawn
I'm surprised Ike and Leif aren't the first characters to represent their games for Heroes.
We got ****ing Sanaki before Ike.

That's hilarious.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so ive now gotten a dupe 5* hero twice* the first time i pulled a 5* camilla right before i upgraded my camilla(who was statistically better) and now i got my second seliph.....oh well at least i have 2 "+1" 5* heroes

Edit the reason im not excited for seliph is ebcause i already have lucina so this is like getting spoiled milk to go with a burnt cookie

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
But what if the ideas in said art are ideas that you feel are wrong or ideas you feel go too far?

I agree that people hide from politics too much, but I feel that avoiding Hollywood's idea of politics is justified for many.

Plus you know, the picks are always wrong and the speeches go on forever and my picks often aren't even there as nominations! WHY ME?!?
I get that Hollywood's idea of... well everything is skewed, but I don't think that's reason enough to groan simply because politics were brought. Groan about what they're talking about regarding politics, but the subject itself? Maybe they're portraying something wrong, or are completely off-base. But politics itself? Everything is politics, you just have to learn to ignore it.

I mean, when that's all you see when you go almost anywhere, then yes, I'd understand why. I don't think we're on a shortage of people heated on politics, like, at all. People are engaged in it now more than ever.
I get why people do. I just feel that it'd be more beneficial to come to terms that it's everywhere and ignore it, rather than trying to shove it out altogether.
I mean, sure, it's good to be kept up in politics, especially economics and local politics, but the Oscars didn't give us any important political information. It's the run of the mill "The country is divided" speeches, Trump jabs, and run of the mill diversity pandering The word you're looking for is pleasing, not influential. It's pleasing to people who already agree with what's being stated. There's movies and people there that are definitely influential, but the show itself wasn't influential.

The movies are art, the Oscars are not. The Oscars influence people what movies are good without having to watch those said movies.
Yeah, I shouldn't have mentioned Oscars. Initially I didn't want to even mention it, but figured since others were discussing it why not. Huge award shows in general aren't really know to be all that... I guess impactful (there's definitely a better term to describe what I mean).
But nonetheless, you know it's going to be there, just ignore it. Or even better, demand that they actually try to be less pandering and more... I'm just going to say impactful.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Groan about what they're talking about regarding politics, but the subject itself? Maybe they're portraying something wrong, or are completely off-base. But politics itself? Everything is politics, you just have to learn to ignore it.
I agreed that people shy away from politics too much.

But I argued that people getting annoyed at the Oscar's getting political is understandable.

Let's be honest. We already know what they're going to say. It's not going to be anything new.

For many its like, "Oscar's is gonna spout stuff I don't agree with/think they took too far, why bother?"

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

Well...I have a 5* red now. Shame he's kinda hard to build around, but I guess maybe when I have Sharena up to par some time down the line?

Meanwhile, ****ing Dath got 5* Klein and Lachesis from his first pull of this focus. What the hell is his Luck growth?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I shouldn't have mentioned Oscars. Initially I didn't want to even mention it, but figured since others were discussing it why not. Huge award shows in general aren't really know to be all that... I guess impactful (there's definitely a better term to describe what I mean).
But nonetheless, you know it's going to be there, just ignore it. Or even better, demand that they actually try to be less pandering and more... I'm just going to say impactful.
Yeah, I myself didn't even watch the show, I just skimmed through highlights online because I'd knew there'd be controversy. But it wasn't even that, it just felt like the show kept patting itself on the back for reinforcing what everyone is already informed about.

I just find it amasusing that the standards are this low for a huge theatre full of top class people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I joined reddit.

I am now garbage.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Rollers accelerate while turfing.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That's.... that's kind of amazing.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So my first day back at University, and already, the workload ahead of me is beginning to pile up...
Gotta ink fast.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
New Heroes art, freshly ripped:

I have to say, I really appreciate their character selection so far. Olwen and Reinhardt were totally unexpected. Even before Leif, the main character of their game, of all people.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Episode 8 of Little Witch Academia may not be the best episode yet, but it's personally my favorite. Because this episode involves Sucy's dreams.
And it just really, really, bizarre... it pays homage to anime/cartoon from 1920s to the recent "Your Name"

And is Diana became a bit like Pear form Steven Universe in Sucy's dream...

This part has to be from the brutal death scene in the 1988 anime movie Akira... poor Lotte
lwa ep8.png

Edit: Uh, I think I need to find out why my post turned like that...

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Rollers are now twice as broken.

That's good to know. :troll:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It's 20XX.
Squishing the opponent with the Dynamo Roller has reached TAS-like levels. (Of perfection of course, this tactic is perfect)
Games are decided through Port Mackerel Priority

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Tfw people complain about having to research to know retros.

I can understand if you don' have the time to do so, but Google is seriously your friend people. One little search won't take away your bloody life!

Also, poor Blue will be upset once he see that Hakkun is more popular than Sable.

Rollers are now twice as broken.

That's good to know. :troll:
Git gud.

Rollers are pathetically easy when you have a ranged weapon on your side.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

I can understand if you don' have the time to do so, but Google is seriously your friend people. One little search won't take away your bloody life!

Also, poor Blue will be upset once he see that Hakkun is more popular than Sable.

Git gud.

Joke's on them.
If Blue supports a character, it's prolly a DLC shoo-in (Next to Brash the Bear)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL, Retsupurae's latest kickstarter non starter

"A proposed MMO game with the story being that Donald Trump has created a fascist army so millennials under the banner of "The Google resistance" resurrect the body of Steve Jobs, their savior who predicted this would happen, and have to stop Trump's Tesla Death Ray"

They literally typed in "Millennial Buzzwords" and put what they found in a random generator to create the plot...

It luckily didn't get funded

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
After minutes of educating people on these characters, I might as well share the poll here. This will be about pre-NES characters whether they originate from the arcades or before that. And sadly, Daitoryo from the Hanafuda cards aren't added. I might handle him later.

For now, your choices are the Wild Gunmen, Sheriff, Mini Kangaroo (@ZestyÑ), and Sky Skipper. I bet some of you are thinking, "What?". It's because these characters are old, before or around the time Donkey Kong exists.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Have fun while it's back to making book covers.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
After minutes of educating people on these characters, I might as well share the poll here. This will be about pre-NES characters whether they originate from the arcades or before that. And sadly, Daitoryo from the Hanafuda cards aren't added. I might handle him later.

For now, your choices are the Wild Gunmen, Sheriff, Mini Kangaroo (@ZestyÑ), and Sky Skipper. I bet some of you are thinking, "What?". It's because these characters are old, before or around the time Donkey Kong exists.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Have fun while it's back to making book covers.
Not to state the obvious, but I like how half of the characters are cowboys. And Sky Skipper had to cash in on DK's sucesss by having gorillas as enemies.

That's when you can tell Nintendo was super Western at the time.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Bravely Default Update:

I'm in the Miasma Woods.Fire magic is a godsend in this area.
Also finished the Khamer and Profiteur sidequest and got the Time mage and Sword Fencer asterisks.
Felt a little sad at Khint's demise, admittedly. This game does not play around with matters of death.

I do think Black Mage class is a bit overpowered compared to the other classes, considering how useful it is to exploit enemy weaknesses. Ringabel's MP is never full.

I sure do love the voice acting in the game, btw. It really makes the characters feel alive.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
LOL, Retsupurae's latest kickstarter non starter

"A proposed MMO game with the story being that Donald Trump has created a fascist army so millennials under the banner of "The Google resistance" resurrect the body of Steve Jobs, their savior who predicted this would happen, and have to stop Trump's Tesla Death Ray"

They literally typed in "Millennial Buzzwords" and put what they found in a random generator to create the plot...

It luckily didn't get funded
What in the ****?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
That's... a debatable buff but I'll be fair and wait for it to play out.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779

Git gud.

roller have a ranged attack thats not garbage now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom