• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Regardless of whatever character you like, at least we can all hate Jerry without worrying about him having fans

No one likes Jerry.
:061:
He screwed over Tom way too many times.

... We're talking about the same Jerry, right?

D

Deleted member

None other than video gaming's greatest punching bag, more reviled as a choice for Smash Bros than Shrek and Spongebob and basically used as a scapegoat for every possible thing that isn't even remotely his fault.
....I can't help but feel you are over-exaggerating. That describes Ridley more than Tails. :troll:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>Sees NeoGAF thread about "disgusting things in video games"
>Half the thread immediately uses it to bash characters they don't like despite that clearly not being the intention
>My favorite video game character is one of the ones being bashed.

Oooooof course.

No, of course I feel flattered to have reaffirmed for the infinite time that what I value and cherished as a child is actively offensive to other people.

:/
I know that feel sis.

But oh well, different strokes for different blokes I suppose?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What did the aborable fat butterdragon ever do to you? :(

It's not his fault that his creator happen to be a fetish artist.
His dialogue is annoying, the boss fight goes on forever, he tries to be so adorably nervous that it makes you want to punch him, and his tail swing attacks are BS.

Those are more than enough valid reasons other than his creator being into God knows what....

At least Ridley has a bowl cut. Any character with a bowl cut is at the bottom of the barrel, unless it's for comedic purposes. :p
Like Miss Ryona, Aka The Low Tier Annoying Masochist Waifu Trash.

Can safely say she is one of worst characters of all time after playing Estival Versus for the first time.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
....I can't help but feel you are over-exaggerating. That describes Ridley more than Tails. :troll:
Ridley was like a whole Flowey ultimatum in himself when he was a *ahem* big thing.

"In this world it's insult every other character in existence or BE insulted."

And then Sakurai himself said Ridley was too big and the pro-Ridley half of the obnoxiousness just kind of crumpled to death while his decent supporters ran off into hiding from the fallout.

Ridley had love and hate in equal measures in his heyday, and I can't say either of the two groups were particularly well behaved.

I feel bad for the people who were actually nice about wanting Ridley that had/have to deal with all that, though.
It's more that people don't separate the characters from the ****ty gameplay they bring.

From Big's fishing, Gamma's shooting, Rouge's treasure hunting stages in SA2, Chaotix gimmicky levels in Heores, Silver being so Damn terrible in 06 and Amy as well who from after SA2/Heroes had an incredible gameplay style of being like Sonic but want back to her SA1 format but with none of her athletic abilities.

People look for scapegoats and blame the characters until Unleashed came out and people realized after the Werehog was that it's Sega adding in gimmicky gameplay because the devs feel like Sonic's levels are too short
Well, it became obvious after the Werehog, but to say people realized it is underestimating the level of denial people will go through to support a narrative, LOL.

. . .Do you. . .think maybe devs get a bit bored working on the same thing long enough and try to get around it through various means? When I look at both Sega's track record and some stuff with Miyamoto, I kind of wonder. Come to think of it, so many different video games from so many different companies have little minigames that aren't anything like the rest of the gameplay in them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sonic has some ok friends but there are some ****ty ones too because they went way overboard with how many need to exist and recur.

>Sees NeoGAF thread about "disgusting things in video games"
>Half the thread immediately uses it to bash characters they don't like despite that clearly not being the intention
>My favorite video game character is one of the ones being bashed.

Oooooof course.

No, of course I feel flattered to have reaffirmed for the infinite time that what I value and cherished as a child is actively offensive to other people.

:/
You don't need to define what you like by how other people feel, if you like what you like be confident in that without needing validation over your choices. There's always going to be someone who hates on something you like.

None other than video gaming's greatest punching bag, more reviled as a choice for Smash Bros than Shrek and Spongebob and basically used as a scapegoat for every possible thing that isn't even remotely his fault.
No need to bellyache about things that are untrue. There are a bunch of Sonic characters more reviled than Tails.

"Sonic's ****ty friends" is one of my least favorite things people complain about the series.

It's part of the reason why we never see anyone but Sonic be playable (Sonic Mania and the Boom games notwithstanding).
Sonic is the protagonist. Making other characters playable outside spin-offs and possible multiplayer isn't necessary...

In Sonic's genre more series than not limit the 1P playable character to the protagonist, I don't see what the big deal is.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Like Miss Ryona, Aka The Low Tier Annoying Masochist Waifu Trash.

Can safely say she is one of worst characters of all time after playing Estival Versus for the first time.
You do realize calling her "trash" would only make you like her more, right?

D

Deleted member

Ridley was like a whole Flowey ultimatum in himself when he was a *ahem* big thing.

"In this world it's insult every other character in existence or BE insulted."

And then Sakurai himself said Ridley was too big and the pro-Ridley half of the obnoxiousness just kind of crumpled to death while his decent supporters ran off into hiding from the fallout.

Ridley had love and hate in equal measures in his heyday, and I can't say either of the two groups were particularly well behaved.

I feel bad for the people who were actually nice about wanting Ridley that had/have to deal with all that, though.
Yeah, Ridley's really just a big ball of controversy no matter how you look at it, sadly.
Honestly, I feel he is a clear case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

Even if Ridley did make it in, his more aggressive fans would find some reason or another to ***** and rage about how Sakurai ****ed him up. :/

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You do realize calling her "trash" would only make you like her more, right?
And? Still doesn't change the fact that she's one of worst Senran Kagura characters in the franchise. Some one note gimmick about "insults and pain feeling good to her"?

How is THAT considered a character?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean in Ridley's heyday, the love definitely outweighed the hate. It's just that then Pyrosphere showed up with the first implications that he wouldn't be playable again, which kicked off the schism.

I'd still like to get him. I still think he's feasible. But Sakurai disagrees and has obviously tried his best, so until we see some turnover in who helms the series, it's just... not gonna happen.

But yeah, should he get in, it's inevitable there would be sore winners and losers in equal measure just like this time when the too-biggers had their day in the sun and the pro-Ridley contingent sort of brushed the fact that Sakurai sided against them under the carpet.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
And? Still doesn't change the fact that she's one of worst Senran Kagura characters in the franchise. Some one note gimmick about "insults and pain feeling good to her"?

Psycho Mantis says hi

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Sonic has some ok friends but there are some ****ty ones too because they went way overboard with how many need to exist and recur.

You don't need to define what you like by how other people feel, if you like what you like be confident in that without needing validation over your choices. There's always going to be someone who hates on something you like.

No need to bellyache about things that are untrue. There are a bunch of Sonic characters more reviled than Tails.

Sonic is the protagonist. Making other characters playable outside spin-offs and possible multiplayer isn't necessary...

In Sonic's genre more series than not limit the 1P playable character to the protagonist, I don't see what the big deal is.
I think every Sonic character has their own value and their own reasons to be cared about. Well, except maybe Elise. . .

Some of them have backstories that make them a little hard to justify recurring every game, but that doesn't really make them bad characters so much as just a bit difficult to give a reason for them being there.

Some of the characters have their only problem being a little lower on the totem pole, though, and I'd see nothing wrong with them being NPCs at least. I can easily picture the Chaotix giving out a mission chain or Cream tending a Chao Garden in an Adventure/Unleashed type game with hubworlds, for example.

And, well, it's a big deal because the characters already exist and people care about them. It's why people constantly fuss about wanting Waluigi to be in a mainline Mario game or beg for anything and everything to be in Smash. It's not hard to understand attachment to characters. Heck, people dig up the few Sonic characters that HAVE been thrown away for ages and ask for THEM back.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm on the side that says Ridley isn't getting in until he gets a newer design in the Metroid series itself that is easier to work with rather than expecting Sakurai/the Smash team to go out of their way to give him one.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

> Calls her one of the worst characters
> Not Dogen, a one dimentional villain that's the weakest part of Deep Crimson.

And like Champ said, Psycho Mantis is beloved for the same reason. So it's not fair to hate her based on first impressions. Play the game more.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

A large part of Sonic's appeal are the characters and world. We've already seen that Tails and Knuckles work well in both 2D and 3D (ignoring the racing and treasure hunting, Tails and Knuckles control great in Adventure).

Not every character needs to be playable, but people want to see the ones who have been proven to work well return as playable characters.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The twitter event, scoring the highest on offense and defense with the arena seasons (didn't rank though), tossing out the vast majority of my units (from every orb available in-game thus far plus 48 from cash money), and quests.
IS THAT EVERYTHING IT TAKES HOT DAMN.

RIP hopes and dreams.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
> Calls her one of the worst characters
> Not Dogen, a one dimentional villain that's the weakest part of Deep Crimson.

And like Champ said, Psycho Mantis is beloved for the same reason. So it's not fair to hate her based on first impressions. Play the game more.
Brah, I know Dogen sucks eggplants. Even his yoma transformation looked like the love child of Wolverine and Hulk if it were puked on.

That said, Ryona is still trash though. Even if that does make her feel good.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Happy Birthday to one of my favorite video game franchises of all time. The Layton series is still going strong, so here's to 10 more years of puzzles, mystery, puzzles, tango music, puzzles, humor, puzzle, good stories, and more Don Paolo.
Im almost tempted to play curious Village again

Also related, I got one of my friends to buy Unwound Future

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To lighten the mood, here's the latest comic from Final Smash (finalsmashcomic.tumblr.com)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Brah, I know Dogen sucks eggplants. Even his yoma transformation looked like the love child of Wolverine and Hulk if it were puked on.

That said, Ryona is still trash though. Even if that does make her feel good.
I was going to continue defending Ryona until you said that.

Now I can't stop laughing or unsee it. :laugh:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mel Gibson's in the race for directing Suicide Squad 2
I'm more surprised that SS2 is being made
Because despite being a critical failure, it made a **** ton of money even AFTER the poor reviews came in.

If it makes them money, they'll be inclined to do it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

So uh...

This looks...

Like a thing...

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Mel Gibson's in the race for directing Suicide Squad 2
I'm more surprised that SS2 is being made
I didn't down right hate Suicide Squad as most people did, so I'm willing to give the sequel a shot.

Of course, if the rumors are true of Affleck not wanting to be Batman anymore are true, I can't see the DCEU lasting much longer.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because despite being a critical failure, it made a **** ton of money even AFTER the poor reviews came in.

If it makes them money, they'll be inclined to do it.
Honestly, I'm surprised how well DCEU is doing despite all movies being pretty bad. Doesn't help that Ben Affleck got kicked off his own solo movie and supposedly doesn't want to be Batman anymore

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly, I'm surprised how well DCEU is doing despite all movies being pretty bad. Doesn't help that Ben Affleck got kicked off his own solo movie and supposedly doesn't want to be Batman anymore
I thought Affleck left the directorial position on his own accord?

I'm just glad Aquaman is supposedly going along...swimmingly. He's my favorite DC hero, so I'd like them to do him justice.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I thought Affleck left the directorial position on his own accord?

I'm just glad Aquaman is supposedly going along...swimmingly. He's my favorite DC hero, so I'd like them to do him justice.
I haven't heard if that was the case, but considering DCEU's rushed as hell, you might be right
I swear, if AQUAMAN of all people is the one to get a good movie...I thought it was gonna be Flash, but that's been going through re-writing

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
So I watched the newest trailer for Heroes, and I gotta say I'm pretty excited for Ephraim! Though his voice could be better; that tone doesn't really suit his personality. I'm going to still get him though.

I've recently dropped Corrin for Kagero. Corrin's strength isn't really doing it for me. I might just keep Sharena for the strength buff. Still looking for a good troubador to replace Wrys.

I also just got Chrom. For anyone who has him, how good is he? I've got that guy at a four star ranking.
Somebody with a Yukimura Avi? Awesome!!! I only played Samurai Chronicles on 3DS...but....I spent well over 400 hrs of my life in it so.... yh. (still pissed off leyasu won in the end, not mah boi mitsunari ishida but you can't change history I guess)

And sorry I have none of these characters but Kagero is supposedly the best Thief in the game atm.
The best troubadour (and healer in general) is some pink clohes, blond hair little girl that I managed to get but don't want to use. idc if 4 stars.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Just remake the entire DCEU using legos.
Boom, franchise saved. :gova:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Seriously, if this is a sign of whats to come with motion controls...

We're in deep ****.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'll get my Batman Beyond movie (and game from Rocksteady) someday

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wait.

I just read that Capcom said it was half finished.

Might not be that bad then.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I mean in Ridley's heyday, the love definitely outweighed the hate. It's just that then Pyrosphere showed up with the first implications that he wouldn't be playable again, which kicked off the schism.

I'd still like to get him. I still think he's feasible. But Sakurai disagrees and has obviously tried his best, so until we see some turnover in who helms the series, it's just... not gonna happen.

But yeah, should he get in, it's inevitable there would be sore winners and losers in equal measure just like this time when the too-biggers had their day in the sun and the pro-Ridley contingent sort of brushed the fact that Sakurai sided against them under the carpet.
I disagree with you there. I think with enough time and effort anyone can make it in.
And it could still happen with Sakurai in charge since anything can always happen. It could be cos he changed his mind, or someone changed his mind or Ridley gets some new design or fans really force him to add him in, even at expense of development time that could have made say, 3 unique characters. Idk. Anything. He changed his mind on Villager iicr, once he put in a liiiitttleee more thought to it.

Just gotta hope and dream like the Bayonetta fans did. :p I'm hoping for Ridley too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom