• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ringabel being Alternis Dim and how he was raised by Edeas father
Whatttttt

That was like. . .the most obvious thing ever. They hinted at it constantly.
Ringabel's dreams sounding like Alternis, Ringabel's super important journal not only having a big D (heh) on it, but also blatantly being from Alternis Dim's persepctive. Not to mention artwork of Dim, and Ringabel mysteriously being MIA in a picture of the 3 (not 4 heroes). Hell, the link was so obvious they made jokes about it at one point, with Ringabel and Alternis boeth being attacked by women at the same time.
:061:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I got the chance to play FEW yesterday, I played about 4 or 5 maps but it gave ne enough to talk about it.
I've put some serious time in it by now and wanted to say - pretty much wholeheartedly agree with your criticisms. I love the game, but its roster got some serious issues.

Didn't want to quote the whole post because it's kind of a monster. Did have a few more bits to add though and I'll quote those:

Because the clones are literal 1-by-1 clones: they don't have different strong attacks or even different stats, they all control the same. Hell, Sakura even had a wind based attack from Takumi and Lucina felt just as heavy as Chrom. Only their A-Special was different but that doesn't mean much. I didn't play with Leo or any of the Pegasus but I'm willing to bet they're the exact same.
If they're on a non-flying horse, they got a whole different feel. Frederick, Xander, and Leo all play pretty differently to anyone else sharing their weapon type.

The pegasi, on the other hand, felt interchangeable. Kind of the same vibe you were getting from Sakura/Takumi and Lucina/Chrom, I got from Hinoka/Cordelia.

It also becomes a headscratcher because if they're just gonna clone half the roster, why couldn't they add more characters and separate them by class?
I'm guessing some mix of story focus, cost of modelling and animating assets, paying VAs. Maybe to keep some kind of tension in the roster? Losing a character has a little bit of weight to it, even with so many redundancies.

There's probably some reason; I don't see a good one really other than perhaps the almighty dollar dollar bill.

Also, even with the stupid DLC, we still don't have a single armored unit, no mounted lances, no Fighters, no Mercs, no Assassins and not a single villain.
Lot of holes here but I'm real cynical about any of them actually getting filled.

No armor might stem from how those units tend to get treated in FE as bulky, slow monsters. Think that'd feel awkward in a musou, although it doesn't stop NB from speeding them up anyway.

No fighters or mercs may have been a product of focus. They're mission critical to most FE games but they don't get actually get a lot of limelight with the major plot of most FE stories outside of a map or two. With the stories they're focusing on they don't even have major characters to work with in those departments - they're usually just some kind of footsoldiers that have their own little stories but work for the primary lord. And while you could argue that this didn't stop Oboro or Jakob, it's hard to argue in favor of any of the fighters or mercs in Fates in a similar breath. I mean I'd love it if Arthur got in too, personally, but I know my odds.

Mounted lances are pretty similar, except that we have some slightly bigger names in the plot. Frederick is a thing, but he's got an axe. I guess Jagen, Marcus, and Gunter fill similar roles in games we've got characters for. But I'll believe they're even thinking about those three when I see a gameplay trailer.

Let's be real here. No Assassins really just means no Jaffar. If there ain't no Hector, there won't be no Jaffar.

Not a single villain baffled me too, but I guess I'm coming off of HW as the only other musou I've played for any length and we got all of em there. Couldn't tell you if that's usual or not.

And honestly I think Olivia and possibly Minerva will get new movesets. There's really no character on the roster who'd fit Olivia's sword style, for example.
I'll agree on Olivia, but I feel it's way more likely than not that Minerva will crib from Camilla.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Frederick, Xander, and Leo all play pretty differently to anyone else sharing their weapon type.
I was talking about Leo in relation to Elise.
I'd get baffled if Xander pkayed like anyone else in the roster
No armor might stem from how those units tend to get treated in FE as bulky, slow monsters. Think that'd feel awkward in a musou, although it doesn't stop NB from speeding them up anyway.
Pretty sure some musou game has a slow, bulky character.
While not by Koei, Ruler in Fate/Extella serves as a good example in that she has the slowest attacks in a game that's naturally faster than the standard Musou and it still works.

Also, not adding one of the most iconic classes in the franchise because of a gameplay detail that doesn't hinder them at all and would only help diversify the roster is incredibly silly.
Also, Hector himself has shown that armors can be quite fast and agile

Mounted lances are pretty similar, except that we have some slightly bigger names in the plot. Frederick is a thing, but he's got an axe. I guess Jagen, Marcus, and Gunter fill similar roles in games we've got characters for. But I'll believe they're even thinking about those three when I see a gameplay trailer.
Frederick didn't even wield axes until Heroes. Sure, he could use them but his starting inventory had a sword and a lance only. Changing that here makes no sense and it seems more like they deliberately limited Lances to Fliers for whatever reason.

They also had the option of Camus who has a freaking Legendary Weapon and is the closest the game would have to a playabke antagonist.
Let's be real here. No Assassins really just means no Jaffar. If there ain't no Hector, there won't be no Jaffar.
Stop reading my mind.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
-What I planned for this weekend
"Alright! For this weekend, I am going to do other stuff than playing Xenoblade 2. I have alot of project to continue and doing too much of one thing is not great. Now, let's go!"
-What I actually did this weekend.
"MORE XENOBLADE 2, MORE, MORE, MOAR!"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

While not by Koei, Ruler in Fate/Extella serves as a good example in that she has the slowest attacks in a game that's naturally faster than the standard Musou and it still works.

Also, not adding one of the most iconic classes in the franchise because of a gameplay detail that doesn't hinder them at all and would only help diversify the roster is incredibly silly.

Frederick didn't even wield axes until Heroes. Sure, he could use them but his starting inventory had a sword and a lance only. Changing that here makes no sense and it seems more like they deliberately limited Lances to Fliers for whatever reason.

They also had the option of Camus who has a freaking Legendary Weapon and is the closest the game would have to a playabke antagonist.

Stop reading my mind.
Frederick using axes does make sense though, if he's locked to one weapon. Axe access (axess?) is the defining thing separating Great Knights from Paladins. Plus there's the throwaway line in Awakening where Chrom says "Frederick never smiles unless he's about to bring down the axe," which, while likely just a figure of speech, is worth mentioning.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I’m too lazy to look it up, but pretend instead of this sentence it’s the gif of j jonah jameson laughing.
So...

You think Shadow Dragon, Awakening, Blazing Sword and Echoes are bad?

Only one the community thinks is meh is Fates (even then it has lots of fans) and considering you think Tharja is the bees knees, I think you're just being snarky for the sake of being snarky.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I’m too lazy to look it up, but pretend instead of this sentence it’s the gif of j jonah jameson laughing.
That reminds me: A few weeks ago at work, someone (don't know who) put a picture of 60's Spider-Man cartoon JJ Jameson saying "I want pictures of Spider-Man" with a "GM JJ Jameson" title behind the registers.

We don't know why it's there but we also never removed it.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Damn it I was back in the ER last night.

My leg is just getting worse and I only just woke up and it's back to be in a lot of pain.

I wish this would all just stop.

D

Deleted member

Frederick using axes does make sense though, if he's locked to one weapon. Axe access (axess?) is the defining thing separating Great Knights from Paladins. Plus there's the throwaway line in Awakening where Chrom says "Frederick never smiles unless he's about to bring down the axe," which, while likely just a figure of speech, is worth mentioning.
I mean, yeah, in FE8, 13 and 14(can't say anything about Tellius).
Before that, Paladins had the full WT(the change was made because someone at IS finally realised how stupid it was to have an 8 Mov monster with the full WT).
And if they want to act like Generals and Pegasus still use Swords, then the fact it was dropped doesn't change much.

Though I guess it makes sense looking at Gunter.
Or they just have something against Jeigans besides Jeigan using Lances.
Acting like FE7 and SoV have enough representation in FEW to count as the games they focused is kinda funny.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
So...

Only one the community thinks is meh is Fates (even then it has lots of fans) and considering you think Tharja is the bees knees, I think you're just being snarky for the sake of being snarky.
I didn’t enjoy Shadow Dragon, Awakening is alright but definitely not one of the best and I forgot that Lyn and Celica are in the game but really that barely counts as those games being in FEW if you can’t even get them until after the final boss(from what I heard).

considering you think Tharja is the bees knees, I think you're just being snarky for the sake of being snarky.
I mean. . .it's certainly possible to think a character is great but hate a game.

Even when I hated Fates I still thought Arthur was awesome, as well as a few other characters.
EDIT beat anyway.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Acting like FE7 and SoV have enough representation in FEW to count as the games they focused is kinda funny.
Does that change my point though?

You'd still have to say 2 out of those 3 games are bad which the FE community as a whole disagrees with.
I didn’t enjoy Shadow Dragon, Awakening is alright but definitely not one of the best and I forgot that Lyn and Celica are in the game but really that barely counts as those games being in FEW if you can’t even get them until after the final boss(from what I heard).
Most people did enjoy Shadow Dragon.

And you admit Awakening is alright.

And even if Blazing Sword and Echoes aren't the focus. They're still in.
I mean. . .it's certainly possible to think a character is great but hate a game.
It is but I knew this was the case.
Awakening is alright

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I would not be surprised if we get a Fire Emblem Warriors 2 around that time. I mean, the Switch hasn't been out for a full year yet. And considering Koei Tecmo wants to do a Fire Emblem Warriors 2 that adds Ike and Roy......well, we'll find out later.
Im all for a FEW 2. I really love The current game

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Leo and Elise felt a little different but I haven't put enough time into them to really pick up the nuances. They definitely didn't feel as paired to me as the other examples.

Xander plays like a lawnmower.

Only other one I've played and remember well is HW, which I guess had Darunia.

Trouble is lack of options again. It pretty much gets left to one man -

- and Hector is that man. Even keeping the gif in there because **** yeah, Hector.

upload_2018-1-14_15-54-28.png

Fate/didntplayit.

I'll take your word for it.

Oboro says hi.

See the point you're making though and yeah, I kind of agree with it on paper. But in practice, I think they made the right call. I wouldn't trade Frederick's moveset for a goddamn thing.

I still wouldn't expect to see him unless and until they do some playable antagonists though. And if they keep that three-pack structure up, he's not gonna get in over Darios, Validar, and Iago.

Which is a shame, because he really should get in over Iago. Dude's trash.

Stop reading my mind.
avi_zoltar_full.png

Nah.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Whatttttt

That was like. . .the most obvious thing ever. They hinted at it constantly.
Ringabel's dreams sounding like Alternis, Ringabel's super important journal not only having a big D (heh) on it, but also blatantly being from Alternis Dim's persepctive. Not to mention artwork of Dim, and Ringabel mysteriously being MIA in a picture of the 3 (not 4 heroes). Hell, the link was so obvious they made jokes about it at one point, with Ringabel and Alternis boeth being attacked by women at the same time.
Well It was a twist for me when it happend

D

Deleted member

Does that change my point though?

You'd still have to say 2 out of those 3 games are bad which the FE community as a whole disagrees with.
They're barely even there that you can consider them.
Next you're gonna tell me there's actual Phantom Hourglass content in HW.

Also, while I don't think Awakening or SD are BAD(Fates outside of Conquest definitely is and even then it's only because of the gameplay), FEA is just boring but a great introduction to the series and I haven't played SD yet.
But as far as characters go? The only way to have made the roster weaker imo is if they focused on Binding Blade instead of SD
Oboro says hi.
DLC says hi.
If you aren't willing to pay more, your only option is to die by a generic archer.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995

My leg is just getting worse and I only just woke up and it's back to be in a lot of pain.

Goddamn man.

Heart goes out.

Im all for a FEW 2. I really love The current game
Preach.

Bet a sequel could fix these roster woes too.

DLC says hi.
If you aren't willing to pay more, your only option is to die by a generic archer.
Hey, hey. A little credit here.

Sometimes you have the option of dying to Takumi or Sakura.

Even when I hated Fates I still thought Arthur was awesome
Right?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They're barely even there that you can consider them.

Also, while I don't think Awakening or SD are BAD(Fates outside of Conquest definitely is and even then it's only because of the gameplay), FEA is just boring but a great introduction to the series and I haven't played SD yet.
But as far as characters go? The only way to have made the roster weaker imo is if they focused on Binding Blade instead of SD

DLC says hi.
But why though? I can't speak for the Fates cast since I'm not nearly as well versed in its characters as I am Awakening's or Shadow Dragon's, but pretty much all of the picks from those two games are legitimately good characters (though I'd have had at least two or three more Shadow Dragon characters in the base game, but I digress) and made absolute sense.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yes there is.

No a lot but there definitely is.

So it sounds like you still mostly agree with me.

Most of the games are good.

you take that back

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I hope you feel better soon man.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
This recent discussion has reminded me that apparently my most controversial FE-related opinion is that there are no bad FE games.

D

Deleted member

But why though? I can't speak for the Fates cast since I'm not nearly as well versed in its characters as I am Awakening's or Shadow Dragon's, but pretty much all of the picks from those two games are legitimately good characters (though I'd have had at least two or three more Shadow Dragon characters in the base game, but I digress) and made absolute sense.
FEA, Fates and FE6 have the weakest cast out of all the games I played imo

Sure, the character picks are good... but only within the context of the games they chose, and even then I believe there are much more interesting choices from those games. Looking at the whole franchise, the characters they could have picked from other games would be much stronger, in my opinion at least.
Yes there is.

No a lot but there definitely is.
Then where the **** is my PH character, huh? Where is he, Swamp? Where is Linebeck? TELL ME WHERE HE IS
So it sounds like you still mostly agree with me.

Most of the games are good.
When did I say otherwise? Regardless, what really matters in this case is the character quality and 2 of the games picked don't have that.

you take that back
You'll have to take it from my cold dead hands

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When did I say otherwise? Regardless, what really matters in this case is the character quality and 2 of the games picked don't have that.
When you objected to my point.
Then where the **** is my PH character, huh? Where is he, Swamp? Where is Linebeck? TELL ME WHERE HE IS
In your dreams.

Point is, we have some PH stuff in the game.

You'll have to take it from my cold dead hands
Okay.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This recent discussion has reminded me that apparently my most controversial FE-related opinion is that there are no bad FE games.
I mean.

I'm liking every FE game I've played so far.

And that's most of the English ones.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Fates would have been better if they inly had 1 path.

Also I thought Conquest was the worst path.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Not gonna pretend that every game is perfect or that I don't have my favorites(FE3, 6, and 9), but I've definitely had fun with all the games I've played.

Though I should note I've not played FE1 or Conquest or Revelation yet.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Fates would have been better if they inly had 1 path.

Also I thought Conquest was the worst path.
I thought conquest was pretty good and birthright was hella boring but fates all together is a good game to me personaly. Doesnt help Fates was my first FE game

But yeah, one path would of been good, have all characters recrutable in one game, not in a 3rd path of the game

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Here's some matches of the DBFZ beta if you can't play yet, sort of like me, since I might not have the time for it.

The beam pressure with Goku's assist and using another beam character(in this case Adult Gohan, seems pretty good. Not amazing, but it can do something.)

Point is, I really need this game at some point, even if I'll mostly scrub it up before only doing okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom