• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Sometimes I forget that DBGT only lasted 64 episodes.

DBS is over 100 already.

The thing is that Super improved A LOT.
Yeah, Super has a lot of issues, but at least it's got the charm that GT lacked.

The only thing good I can say GT did was SSJ4. Everything else was poorly executed.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
On the Forces subject, I think that the game could really benefit from more level showcases right now.

By no means do I think Forces will be a bad game, but to me it feels like they haven't really shown a lot of it even though that's kinda false. It's a bit hard for me to get excited with the information we currently have.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'll admit,,.

I'm excited for Sonic Forces and think the game will ultimately be fine, but hearing all the worry and ****ting on it has me down.

If it weren't for YouTube comments of all things, I'd think I was the only person that liked Fist a bump for example.

Anyone else kind of bummed by all the negative feelings towards the game?
I'm more hyped for Mania right now, mainly because it's out really soon and it's literally my dream 2D Sonic game almost exactly (right down to the FREAKIN' COMPOSER. Seriously, I will never get over the fact Tee Lopes is now an official Sonic game composer).

I'm still looking forward to Forces, though my hype has varied a bit. The fan reaction is putting a damper on things. Granted, the game has some issues even from my perspective, and it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea on pure premise alone, but I think what's bothering me the most is how pretentious people have to be about.

Nearly any time I see someone criticise Forces, it's always some overly verbose thesis on the most minuet of things or trying to make some overcomplicated analysis of "what makes a good Sonic game", when really, when you break these people's points down, they're literally just taking their own highly subjective views and trying to pass them off as some kind of fact.

And then there's crap like this, which is beyond aggravating (especially knowing that it isn't even sarcasm, if you know the person in question):

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I shouldn't have to point this out, but the problem with this tweet is that it's comparing a 2D animation that isn't even part of the core game's development and was outsourced to an animator and is completely finished and polished VS an in-engine cutscene for a 3D game that is still in development. It's also a very very specific frame, and anyone who knows anything about 3D animation can tell you that small rigging bugs will often slip under the radar, even in big budget films, because who wants to re-program an entire scene or re-render an entire scene just for one minor rigging bug that might appear for one single frame that you only notice if you pause on that exact frame?

The fact that this tweet was made with that specific freeze frame just tells me they were LOOKING for something to **** on.

Sometimes I wish people would just be willing to say "I don't like the thing" and stop trying to pull bull**** justifications for it out of their butts or trying to sound like a college professor on Sonic over it. Irrational dislike of something is fine, so long as you're willing to accept that it's irrational.

Another argument I keep hearing is that "SEGA shouldn't show things until they are completely finished and polished", which is silly because things always have room for improvement until games go gold. I remember thinking the initial trailers for KH 0.2, for example, looked fantastic, but they still improved the graphics all the way up until release, because that's how game development works. Trailers are never fully representative of the final product.

This post was really incoherent because I'm tired but I hope people get what I mean.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
On the Forces subject, I think that the game could really benefit from more level showcases right now.

By no means do I think Forces will be a bad game, but to me it feels like they haven't really shown a lot of it even though that's kinda false. It's a bit hard for me to get excited with the information we currently have.
I agree, the first levels of a game are usually the most snore inducingly boring. The fandom's too much of a trashfire for me to really think it would help much, but on a better planet than this one showing another stage would be better than just letting the initial handholding ones sit.

Chrono.

One thing definitely not helping Forces are extremely dry and bland trailers.

Seriously, they all look like someone's first attempt at making a trailer with Windows Movie Maker and some stock "epic" music.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The worst thing about Forces is that it has people say "3D Sonic was never good"
I mean
Boost Sonic is like the classic only instead of getting rewarded for knowledge and skill with speed, you get rewarded for more speed
I wouldn't even say the "more speed" part doesn't entail knowledge and skill in boost games, either. You have to have an understanding of the stage you're in to get the top Ranks, and they lock content and achievements behind that. Modern Sonic as a whole hides incentives behind amateur speedrunning, and Boost Sonic places that into a relatively classic-like gameplay plane.

And on one had I can definitely see the desire for levels to be more challenging as a whole rather than in a low-key pseudo sidequest, but on the other hand I think everyone can also agree that Slicers are hellspawn and let's never do that again.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wouldn't even say the "more speed" part doesn't entail knowledge and skill in boost games, either. You have to have an understanding of the stage you're in to get the top Ranks, and they lock content and achievements behind that. Modern Sonic as a whole hides incentives behind amateur speedrunning, and Boost Sonic places that into a relatively classic-like gameplay plane.

And on one had I can definitely see the desire for levels to be more challenging as a whole rather than in a low-key pseudo sidequest, but on the other hand I think everyone can also agree that Slicers are hellspawn and let's never do that again.
Ummmmm what? Cor, content isn't locked behind that stuff at all, what are you talking about? O.O

Also Slicers haven't been anything but a joke since the Sonic game that got a 10 from IGN

Man I really wish I could just play Colors, Unleashed, and Lost World already so I can play recent Modern sonic already. . .

There was a problem fetching the tweet
This is like saying one animation is better than the other because you compare a regular scene to a smear frame.

I mean it still isn't ideal, but it's a pretty garbage comparison haha.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Lycanroc's third form:

Meh.

I'll admit,,.

I'm excited for Sonic Forces and think the game will ultimately be fine, but hearing all the worry and ****ting on it has me down.

If it weren't for YouTube comments of all things, I'd think I was the only person that liked Fist a bump for example.

Anyone else kind of bummed by all the negative feelings towards the game?
I'm generally doing my best to avoid other people's opinions on Forces because:
A. The Sonic fanbase doesn't know what it likes at all and might as well hate anything that aren't the Classic Sonic games. Then again I'm beyond done with fanbases in general.
B. The Sonic franchise is pretty much the one franchise that get's picked on for the smallest of things.

I'm more excited for Forces than I am Mania (not hard though, I don't care much for Mania because I'm so disillusioned and fed up with Classic Sonic that it's damn near unhealthy) and the only stuff I'm not really liking with Forces is Classic Sonic (Gee I wonder why) being in and the HUD looking awful.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Ummmmm what? Cor, content isn't locked behind that stuff at all, what are you talking about? O.O

Also Slicers haven't been anything but a joke since the Sonic game that got a 10 from IGN
Pretty sure I jumped through hoops with that in at least Colors DS and both versions of Generations for SOMETHING, although Generations HD may have just been a trophy. Colors DS definitely had something important behind it, it's just escaping me. . .

And yeah, Slicers were nerfed to oblivion in Sonic 4. Eggman must have forgot the coding that gave those things ninja reflexes. Honestly Metropolis Zone is just plain a death trap in general, but at least nothing else waits at the top of a slow moving screw for you.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Pretty sure I jumped through hoops with that in at least Colors DS and both versions of Generations for SOMETHING, although Generations HD may have just been a trophy.
It was probably the Red Rings. They gave you extra stuff if you got them all.
S Ranks were just for the trophy/Achievement.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
New Lycanroc form isn't to bad, sort of what I expected. Red over orange with some changes in the mane and back would have made more sense imo though.

I'm glad we finally have something but trailer then?

We also see ash's evolve into it so that is nice.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
When Dawn Lycanroc gets confirmed I'll unleash the Digimon memes.

so it's orange midday form with more hair
that's. . .pretty boring...

Since he is orange and the redesign is so lazy i guess ill just call him garfield. :p

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Since complaining about the Lycanroc design is gonna get cliche real quick, I'm just gonna skip ahead to hoping pointing out this might mean that most of Game Freak's resources are going into Gen 8 right now.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
This Pokénchi wasn't as weird as the last one I watched, when a kid shampooed the back of a half-naked man in a bathtub.

And if there's one, I think Dawn Lycanroc will have Midnight's face and body, but with Midday's tail.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
i dunno guys buffalo sauce lycanrock looks great too me, but i dunno maybe dont go expectiing much otu of form changes when the two existing forms cover day and night and look radically diffrent and everything was hinting as something between the two forms

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
To Dusk Lycanroc's credit, it looks better in the anime:

Outside of that, I feel they could've done more to make it stand out from Midday, it's too close to the former's design even with some of Midnight's traits thrown in.

D

Deleted member

Inevitable additional Dawn form counterpart that looks like Midnight transitioning to Midday is inevitable.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just wonder what Dusk's signature move will be. Midday Lycanroc got Accelerock while Inferior Lycanroc got Counter of all things.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom