• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't know why anyone was expecting a balance patch for a game that's been done for over a year now.

It's highly likely that the patch had been compiled a while ago, they just wanted to wait for the release of the amiibo to release the patch.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When was the last balance patch? Less than a year ago? It doesn't matter how long a game is out for. They'll do patches until the game is actually dead or they feel it's perfect enough. There's no time limit criteria and we shouldn't apply some special thing to the developers. The only thing they've mentioned is DLC is done in itself. Obviously patches were not, and they have yet to say "this is the final balance patch", so we can't assume jack cause of some time things. The game is entirely active. If they were done with the game as we thought they were, we would've had no patches after the final DLC patches were done and that was it.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I mean the original Half Life just had a patch so, Smash 4 getting another patch just before new amiibos are being released isn't so much of a stretch...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I have no idea why Capcom even tries to bother to hype Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite.

Honestly as far as I can recall? It's the most un-hyped game in a huge franchise I can think of in recent memory.

It was practically dead on arrival when it came to hype, which is not something that should be happening with ****ing Marvel vs Capcom 4.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I have no idea why Capcom even tries to bother to hype Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite.

Honestly as far as I can recall? It's the most un-hyped game in a huge franchise I can think of in recent memory.

It was practically dead on arrival when it came to hype, which is not something that should be happening with ****ing Marvel vs Capcom 4.
Doesn't help that almost all of their competition has offered much more exciting things.

Especially Arc System Works.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
When was the last balance patch? Less than a year ago? It doesn't matter how long a game is out for. They'll do patches until the game is actually dead or they feel it's perfect enough. There's no time limit criteria and we shouldn't apply some special thing to the developers. The only thing they've mentioned is DLC is done in itself. Obviously patches were not, and they have yet to say "this is the final balance patch", so we can't assume jack cause of some time things. The game is entirely active. If they were done with the game as we thought they were, we would've had no patches after the final DLC patches were done and that was it.
Or I'm not applying a special made up rule and there is literally no chance of balance patches because Sakurai has moved on to another project and the entire dev team comprised of hand picked developers from various companies has been disbanded for over a year now, with them now having other things they are working on.

The amiibo tags have most likely been ready for a while now. The Corrin amiibo data was already done for Echoes' release, for example.

The game may be active with people playing it but that literally has nothing to do with anything, just look at Melee or UMvC3. Both entirely active but as projects they're finished.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

If they can capture some of the hype back, then they're in better shape. That's why they're bothering.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
EDIT: It's not gonna happen, Swamp, it's just not...

It's not even just Capcom.

It's Marvel.

They need to grow up. They're so fricking childish when it comes to the properities when Fox owns.

There was an article just a few days ago where Kevin Feige said there was no problems between Marvel and Fox, but it's like their actions say otherwise.

Fantastic Four, Deadpool, and X-Men left out of games, taken out of games they were even in, Fantastic Four isn't even a comic right now, the X-Men constantly have the dumbest plot-lines and characters Fox uses have massive petty recons to their stories so Fox's movies look inaccurate, Wolverine was killed pretty much to spite Fox, etc.

Meanwhile Fox while making some pretty questionable movie decisions are well....just making movies. So really I blame Marvel just much if not MORE for the mess than MvC:I is.

Last edited:

Chrono.

MvCI has been getting positive reception from the people who actually played the VS demo.

But that's it really. All the marketing has gone into the story mode, for some reason. We didn't get livestreams of MvCI despite it being playable at EVO, for some reason. We didn't even get a short trailer showing Jedah and Gamora, for some reason.

And that's not getting into the questionable roster which is just MCU Circle Jerk vs Vanilla Capcom.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Or I'm not applying a special made up rule and there is literally no chance of balance patches because Sakurai has moved on to another project and the entire dev team comprised of hand picked developers from various companies has been disbanded for over a year now, with them now having other things they are working on.

The amiibo tags have most likely been ready for a while now. The Corrin amiibo data was already done for Echoes' release, for example.

The game may be active with people playing it but that literally has nothing to do with anything, just look at Melee or UMvC3. Both entirely active but as projects they're finished.
Melee came out over 10 years ago and is from a system that is dead and never got online balance patches. What only happened is that they made a couple updated versions of the same game and sold more hard copies of it. That was it. UMVC3 is being not being updated because they find it balanced. That's kind of it. Melee cannot be updated unless it gets remade on the Switch as a full product. They're finished because they either are impossible to update or they actually want them to be finished.

You're making an assumption that because it's been out for a long time that it's finished. That means nothing. The only reason it'll be finished is because the team working on DLC(the Bayo amiibo issues are very recent) chooses to be done balancing the game. It appears they have been, if the latest update means anything. They simply feel the game is balanced enough. That's simply how patches work. It's very rare anyone would stop patching a game because "it's been too long". Unless the product is entirely phased out, it hasn't been too long. A product that is active is something they would care about.

Also, keep in mind Sakurai's DLC Team isn't the exact same team as his Smash 4 team. He actually only took some members of it. We don't know if Sakurai is even involved with the balance patches since Bayo released in general. He might already have a new team and only is being contacted to make sure the balance patches are to his liking. If at all. There's multiple development teams in general. There's way too many assumptions about stuff. We don't know the behind-the-scenes stuff at all. I agree balance patches are likely done, but only because the game is balanced enough to not need 'em. Which is the most logical situation since we've seen updates even after Sakurai was stated to be done with DLC in general(people assumed the game would never get patched again cause apparently the game was "finished", despite him not saying that).

Please provide a clear statement that Sakurai and his team are done with all balance patches. If that statement doesn't exist, then we have nothing to clearly go on. Just a guess he's likely(or his team is likely) done with them. And that's due to the lack of them, not some silly timeframe rule.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. MVC:I will probably go the way of KOFXIV, a game that looks visually average to poor, but plays fantastically well (at least assuming the positive impressions keep up). Because of that, it's definitely not going to be the hypest release ever, but I can still see it doing well enough, after all, it's Marvel.

It's just when it's put up against, not just Dragonball FighterZ and now Blazblue Cross Tag Battle, but even TEKKEN 7 and the Arika fighter, it just pales. Those last two aren't even tag fighters, but they just look better, there's more care put into them.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Marvel could save some ground if they do something about DLC.

Some of it needs to be free.

Chrono.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. MVC:I will probably go the way of KOFXIV, a game that looks visually average to poor, but plays fantastically well (at least assuming the positive impressions keep up). Because of that, it's definitely not going to be the hypest release ever, but I can still see it doing well enough, after all, it's Marvel.

It's just when it's put up against, not just Dragonball FighterZ and now Blazblue Cross Tag Battle, but even TEKKEN 7 and the Arika fighter, it just pales. Those last two aren't even tag fighters, but they just look better, there's more care put into them.
I wouldn't put the Arika game on the same level.

It still looks pretty basic and kinda off still.
I think Marvel could save some ground if they do something about DLC.

Some of it needs to be free.
Yeah this isn't gonna happen.

Costumes, maybe. But not characters.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
MVCI definitely has a LOT of work to do, but considering the reception for Jedah has been nothing but positive, they're not COMPLETELY screwed
Some people were okay with Gamora too.

But yeah, Jedah and MMX are the hype of the roster so far. Ultron too.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The moment they reveal an X-Man (unlikely) or Venom (more likely) is the moment the hype will increase considerably. Even if both are confirmed to be DLC, it'll take a bit more to convince people that the base game will be worth $60 dollars but if they can get at least Wolverine back in then A LOT of old fans might actually come back on board. Me included.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Bought KAMIKO....it's a decent little indie game and it's cheap, had just enough left over on my account to buy it so I thought wynaut?

Completed Shantae, good game...Story was a little all over the place and some of her transformations felt very underutilized but overall a decent experience...I like how they added unlockable concept art into the game, always appreciate that as it gives a good insight into the development and how the game's artstyle changes as it goes...

Shovel Knight's almost done at this point, Just need to take on the final level (at least I assume it's the final level) and doing some poking around to find any secrets I missed...there's also the Plague Knight and Spectre Knight campaigns available as well, but there's no real rush to do them right away after finishing Shovel Knight's adventure...

Want to get into Blaster Master soon...I've been enjoying this little Indie binge so maybe down the line I'll be nabbing a few more indie titles on the eshop...

D

Deleted member

I can't believe Rider ****ing killed Astolfo
8b35b12a-1fe2-46bf-b75f-d4d794427a4b.jpg

Also, while on the topic of Apocrypha, I find it funny how this is likely the cast of Servants where I know most of them
Ones I know:
Ruler-Jeanne D'Arc
Saber of Red-Mordred
Lancer of Black-****ing Dracula
Caster of Black-Solomon
Berserker of Black-Frankenstein
Assassin of Black-Jack the Ripper
Caster of Red-ACTUAL ****ING SHAKESPEARE

Lol who dis?
Assassin of Red-Semiramis or some **** like this
Lancer of Red-Karma
Archer of Black-A centaur named Chiron?
Saber of Black-THIS DIVINE LIGHTI--
Rider of Black-I read Astolfo's wikipedia page and holy **** why was he so op
Still need to see the rest of the Red Faction though, but I hope it's just as good as MOTHER****ING SHAKESPEARE

@Erureido
Also, question regarding some of the summoned Servants, if you could
Did Angra still corrupt the Grail in the Third War? Because there are clearly Anti-Heroic Spirits in here.
Like, Dracula seems to be the most outright evil one but you also have Jack and Mordred and Assassin of Red is shady as **** too.

But at the same time, the Grail summoned a Ruler who is meant to protect the world's balance so...

Chrono.

Well I beat the N-Sane Trilogy! It was a lot of fun, especially for someone who was kinda lukewarm on Crash except for Warped.

My opinions on them changed a lot after playing them all in a row though.

I'll start with Crash 1. It's actually the one I never played back in the day, I started with 2 then 3, but 1 always eluded me.

Long story short, I liked it way more than I expected to. Despite some annoyances, I liked the challenge. Honestly the only times where I found myself groaning were at the bosses for either being too easy or just plain tedious, but still easy and... the bridge levels, because holy **** what in the blue hell were those. Sunset Vista was also annoyingly long for a level that's like midgame at earliest. Actually that's another thing, the difficulty curve just... doesn't exist? All levels are just kinda easy or hard with no real sense of progression in terms of difficulty, but that's a minor nitpick. I also didn't like the over abundance of 2D sections, nearly felt like the entire game was 2D.

Now for Crash 2, I actually did play this one... But I barely remember it and tbh I don't think I ever finished it. Was it because I was bad or loss of interest? I couldn't tell you.

This one just felt way better right off the bat. The slide makes a huge difference and makes moving around feel more fun. The visuals for each level and enemies felt more pleasing to the eye and the level design was just right. It's easier than the first game (you won't find levels as hard as The High Road or as long as Sunset Vista) but it's still very challenging, especially towards the final stretch. One complaint I do have is randomly sticking two jetpack levels out of nowhere in the last section. Something I liked from Crash 1 that's missing here is how each of the 5 level sets were themed after the boss of that area, but that's completely gone here which is a bit sad, but nothing really bothersome. The bosses unfortunately are still pretty meh, possibly even more so than Crash 1 because at least that had a decent final boss. All in all, Crash 2 is better than 1 in nearly every way.

Finally Crash 3, this one was my favorite of the trilogy and is the freshest one in my head as I played it around last year or so.

Okay so easily, this one had some of the best visuals, all thanks to the more diverse level themes. The medieval ones are especially beautiful. Bosses are waaaay more fun here unlike the tedious and boring ones from the first two games and the final boss is actually pretty awesome. I also like how you can get new abilities as you progress through the game. As for the rest of the game... Well, at some points I like it more than Crash 2, but most of the time it actually feels weaker. The game is faaar easier than the last two, to the point where I never even got a single game over, the challenge just feels non existent (unless you go for 100% completion of course). Then there's all the gimmick levels, I didn't mind them before, but after playing two games of mostly pure platforming... It gets a little grating getting some of em in a row. The water levels are meh, the bike ones are just okay, the planes are probably the best ones and the jetski was completely butchered in the remake, for some reason. Meanwhile the actual platforming levels felt a tad uninspired aside from the visuals. That being said, it's still pretty good.

All in all I found the trilogy really fun, money well spent and all that. If I were to rank them personally it's: 2>1>3. They all have things I like and dislike though.

Oh yeah, I used Coco for the entire thing. Very dumb that they don't let you play as her during riding levels or boss fights though, considering she has all the same abilities and such this time around I thought they'd go all the way with her. I do understand being unable to battle Cortex as her though (except in 3 it'd actually make sense there).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Remember to put all large images into spoilers, please.

Also, BOTW Octoroks are the devil's spawn. And not the cute ones like Morrigan Aensland. >.>

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I can't believe Rider ****ing killed Astolfo

>Nero Claudius comes back from the dead.
>Learns about modern society and internet.
>Google searches himself.
>Anime girl with transparent skirt appears.
>Creates a mixtape CD using the computer program that also has his name.
>Time to burn Rome again.

Last edited:

Chrono.

So I went to the Gamefaqs DBFZ board and hoo boy.

It's easily the most toxic FAQs board I've seen in a while, and considering I'm talking about FAQs, that's saying something.

Pretty much the whole thing is littered with roster prediction topics that all devolve into mud slinging, but what makes the boards really bad is the elitism. Basically if you like Xenoverse or even the old Budokai and Tenkaichi series you're gonna be bombarded with people telling you why those games are bad/unbalanced/broken even if it isn't relevant to the conversation.

Xenoverse especially gets all of the flak, the way people talk about it there you'd think it was Sonic 06 or Duke Nukem Forever tier.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
MVCI definitely has a LOT of work to do, but considering the reception for Jedah has been nothing but positive, they're not COMPLETELY screwed
The main problem is that, if that leaked roster is correct (which seems pretty much guaranteed now), then the only new characters who haven't been revealed are Monster Hunter and Ant-Man. Sure, we could get some exciting characters through DLC (whether it's new characters like Sigma and Black Panther or favourites who were pettily left out of the main game like Wolverine and Dr. Doom), but by then, it might be too little, too late.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
OK, question out of curiosity:

Is $20 too high of a price for a video game regardless of the quality of the game involved?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Is $20 too high of a price for a video game regardless of the quality of the game involved?
No.

I'm willing to pay up to €60/$60 if the game is of very good quality and has a lot of content.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

It's entirely dependant on the game.
Sometimes $60 feels like a steal when it's game like Witcher 3 or BotW.
Other times I wouldn't even pay $5 for a game if it was like Colonial Marines or Star Fox Zero.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I wouldn't put the Arika game on the same level.

It still looks pretty basic and kinda off still.
I agree, but even then, it still had a better reveal imo, especially once Skullomania was shown.

We pay $60 for video games, I'm not sure how one third of the price would be seen as too much, outside of games that are old or small.

If anything, it's too little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom