• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What context did that get spawned from again?

Also holy **** Serris from Metroid Fusion is a lot harder than I remembered. I also killed it only to get killed by the Core X. fml
i was worried that echoes wpuld be over reworked and that there would still be reason to play gaiden instead of SoV being the definitive version

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
What context did that get spawned from again?
I believe he meant to say "not over reworked", and he was talking about FE Echoes in comparison to Gaiden
Edit: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
So, I've seen people discuss certain aspect of Echoes's plot in this thread like Celica, the Masked Knight and what I call "the great *** kissing of Berkut(&Fernand)", but I haven't seen anyone talk about Rudolph.
So I wanna know what those who have played SoV think of Rudolph and his motivation...
...and his plan too.
I see a lot of division on whether he was a sympathetic mastermind villain or an idiot "as big as Celica" who started a pointless conflict.

I'll give my own thoughts later.
I see Rudolph as both a sympathetic mastermind and one with a very risky goal.

On the one hand, Rudolph was sympathetic by sending away his son Alm to Sir Mycen because he knew that the Duma Faithful would try to murder Alm when he was an infant (Alm was the child of prophecy after all). In later years, Rudolph's rein of tyranny and conquest was done in a way so that Alm would eventually fight it off, be viewed as a hero for overthrowing that tyranny, and then starting a new, peaceful rule. That final scene where Rudolph reveals the truth to Alm made me feel sympathetic for both, but I guess another reason why I felt that way was because of the stellar voice-acting and the emotional music.

On the other hand, Rudolph's was pretty risky the more you think about it. This guy was really banking hard on Alm winning all those battles and arriving at Rigel Castle for that final battle. What would've happened if Alm was killed before he reached the castle? That would've completely ruined Rudolph's plans. Also, now that I think about it, what was stopping Rudolph from killing Duma himself? If he knew the dragons were going mad and had to be put down for a new era for mankind to rule, why didn't he do the slaying instead? Was it because Duma has some kind of magical armor where the only people that can truly slay him in the end are brand-bearers? The game definitely should've elaborated on that aspect of Rudolph's goals.

One other complaint I have about Rudolph was that he appears very little during the main story. We only see him at the end of Act 1 talking with Massena, in a flashback cutscene where he captures Mila, a memory scene where he gives the infant Alm to Sir Mycen, and then the battle against him in Act 4 and that's it. For a character who is supposed to be one of the main antagonists in the story, he appears very little. I really wish we had more scenes of Rudolph so that we could take him seriously for a villain.

So you could say Rudolph was more a mixed bag for me. I understand where his motivations were coming from, but I do find holes in them as well. I will say though, he is definitely a far better villain than the likes of Garon, Iago, Hans, Validar, and Grima, all of which were disappointing main antagonists from the past 3DS games because of how cartoonishly evil they were.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
What do you mean 'could' It's ALWAYS been through development hell
I'm more talking going into serious development hell, like how long it took to make a fourth Jurassic Park movie. Rather than "stumble for a few years but eventually find its footing."

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I highly doubt the movie is going through development hell.

I think they just announced it far too early. I mean it was basically just an idea, we don't know anything about it other than it's live-action/CGI hybrid, and a few people who were working on it.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Played the Ever Oasis demo...

It's not a bad little RPG tbh...looks like it's got some decent exploration and puzzle solving...soundtrack isn't bad either...
Combat is alright, not the greatest but it works...

With that said however I don't think it's a title I'd pick up unless I was more financially sound, and even still it'd be way down my priority list...

I think it's obvious what my top priority for the 3DS is...

D

Deleted member

Never change, Zebei, never change
I see Rudolph as both a sympathetic mastermind and one with a very risky goal.

On the one hand, Rudolph was sympathetic by sending away his son Alm to Sir Mycen because he knew that the Duma Faithful would try to murder Alm when he was an infant (Alm was the child of prophecy after all). In later years, Rudolph's rein of tyranny and conquest was done in a way so that Alm would eventually fight it off, be viewed as a hero for overthrowing that tyranny, and then starting a new, peaceful rule. That final scene where Rudolph reveals the truth to Alm made me feel sympathetic for both, but I guess another reason why I felt that way was because of the stellar voice-acting and the emotional music.

On the other hand, Rudolph's was pretty risky the more you think about it. This guy was really banking hard on Alm winning all those battles and arriving at Rigel Castle for that final battle. What would've happened if Alm was killed before he reached the castle? That would've completely ruined Rudolph's plans. Also, now that I think about it, what was stopping Rudolph from killing Duma himself? If he knew the dragons were going mad and had to be put down for a new era for mankind to rule, why didn't he do the slaying instead? Was it because Duma has some kind of magical armor where the only people that can truly slay him in the end are brand-bearers? The game definitely should've elaborated on that aspect of Rudolph's goals.

One other complaint I have about Rudolph was that he appears very little during the main story. We only see him at the end of Act 1 talking with Massena, in a flashback cutscene where he captures Mila, a memory scene where he gives the infant Alm to Sir Mycen, and then the battle against him in Act 4 and that's it. For a character who is supposed to be one of the main antagonists in the story, he appears very little. I really wish we had more scenes of Rudolph so that we could take him seriously for a villain.

So you could say Rudolph was more a mixed bag for me. I understand where his motivations were coming from, but I do find holes in them as well. I will say though, he is definitely a far better villain than the likes of Garon, Iago, Hans, Validar, and Grima, all of which were disappointing main antagonists from the past 3DS games because of how cartoonishly evil they were.
While he wanted Alm to get to him and kill him, that wasn't what he was banking on: either Rudolph was successful and conquered all of Valentia, unifying it or died by Alm's hand who would slay Duma and then unite Valentia(to note is that he had no way to know Celica and Alm were going to fall in love so the "marriage of both brand bearers" wasn't something he thought would happen)
Granted, the fact he's "destined to save Valentia" could mean Rudolph simply assumed he codn't die before slaying Duma, so he banked on that

Also, killing Duma himself would be suicidal: he loses the Duma Faithful who would all want him dead and his people start believing he's betraying Rigel.
Sealing Mila first starts a war with Zofia that has the backup from the general populace and the Duma Church, while instigating Alm to go to war in the first place.

All things considered, Rudolph could and would still slay Duma should Alm have died(if the Falchion wasn't sealed that is).

Also also, he does get more scenes than that: the scene where Berkut asks for a second chance after Gazelle's map and after the Act 3 finale.
He gets more than enough "villain scenes" for someone who doesn't leave his castle. If he was actually a villain, we would likely have seen more of him, maybe even a "final boss preview" of him in one of the earlier maps like Desaix during Act 1

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
They've been working on it since 2012 iirc
It was first announced in 2014.

I never considered it in full development hell, just still in pre-production. Being delayed into 2019 and the fact we don't have a cast announced yet makes me feel the movie is going through some changes.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What do you mean 'could' It's ALWAYS been through development hell

GamesIndustry had an interview about SEGA Forever
Hopefully it'll stay there. At least until they figure out that those animated in a live action world movies, the name of those escape me, are almost never good. There hasn't even been many but all of them with the exception of Who Framed Roger Rabbit are pretty mediocre to bad.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So I'm late to the party and only just found out that the next voting gauntlet in Fire Emblem Heroes is a Healer Gauntlet.

I'm hoping Genny's in it so I have a better chance to pull her. If she's not I'll probably support Lissa since she'll inevitably be in it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Every SEGA system from Master System to Dreamcast.
Really?? So, I could play the ENTIRE Sonic trilogy and Knuckles, as well as Adventure and Adventure 2? I also heard that Arle Nadja (the main protagonist of the Puyo Puyo series) was name-dropped. Hopefully, I'll get to play the original 4 Puyo games as a result.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Really?? So, I could play the ENTIRE Sonic trilogy and Knuckles, as well as Adventure and Adventure 2? I also heard that Arle Nadja (the main protagonist of the Puyo Puyo series) was name-dropped. Hopefully, I'll get to play the original 4 Puyo games as a result.
It depends on what SEGA decides to put on the service. But they did say it will have games from every SEGA console, and they mentioned Saturn and Dreamcast by name in the press release.

Apparently it also supports "SG-1000" games, which is something I haven't even heard of. Maybe it's an old arcade game framework?

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
So I'm late to the party and only just found out that the next voting gauntlet in Fire Emblem Heroes is a Healer Gauntlet.

I'm hoping Genny's in it so I have a better chance to pull her. If she's not I'll probably support Lissa since she'll inevitably be in it.
Serra is the best healer, boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom