• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My opinion on ARMS is that it could absolutely be a competitive eSport. It's deep enough, unique, appealing, and fun to play against others. It really all depends on if players of the game will boost the game into that league. If we see some serious play from Arms and it's fun to watch then yeah it could easily become one. We could have a new, different fighting game in the eSports community that could spice up Tournaments in the future and that's always appealing.

It really matters how Nintendo pushes the game. If they constantly balance it, add unique arms, and add unique characters it could flourish competitively. Though no matter how much Nintendo does it won't matter if no one picks the game up and plays it in that way. I will give Nintendo this, they know how to make games, and if they think that this can be a competitive game then I believe them. They didn't know Splatoon was going to be competitive as it is now at launch but now they're really pushing the envelope with that game.

In short. Do I think it'll become a real eSport? No. Can it? Absolutely.

People have been comparing Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle to the XCOM series. So Game Informer reached out to the creative director of XCOM for a reaction. He likes it.

You know what's funniest part of all this? Both Mario + Rabbids & XCOM 2's expansion pack were shown at E3 and BOTH ARE RELEASING ON THE EXACT SAME DAY! :laugh:
The fact that everyone is comparing it to XCOM is really the only reason I'm excited for it. Not a fan of the Rabbids but the graphics are clean as hell in the Snowdrop Engine, the game looks decently deep, and that Creative Director is very, very passionate about this game and you don't see that all that often. I believe that the game will be good but it still has the ability to disappoint. Though seeing what I've seen so far I can't say I'm not impressed. Still wait and see, but damn does it look really fun.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You mean that EVIL girl in street fighter?
Well yeah, Juri is one.

But we've also had a hero in Lin Lee Koo from Xenoblade Chronicles X. At least, I'm fairly certain that's a Korean name.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Though, it's possible the Koreans hate the Japanese more than the Japanese hate the Koreans

Since it was the Japanese that instigated the violence that lead to the Koreans hating them

D

Deleted member

I doubt Japan hates Korea that much that literally everyone at Nintendo also hates it and doesn't want to make a game money out of spite.
I mean, do you North Americans hate England or something this much too?
IDK what your talking about, I used Iggy with nothing but pure skill.
The skill of pressing Forward+Strong Attack

You want skill? Pick Jotaro and: Stand On->"literally anything"->Down Strong Attack->ORAORAORAORAORA
99% guranteed combo on CPUs, pure tech and skill

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I doubt Japan hates Korea that much that literally everyone at Nintendo also hates it and doesn't want to make a game money out of spite.

The skill of pressing Forward+Strong Attack

You want skill? Pick Jotaro and: Stand On->"literally anything"->Down Strong Attack->ORAORAORAORAORA
99% guranteed combo on CPUs, pure tech and skill

Japan built temples to hold noses they collected from Koreans as trophies

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Uh...

This isn't even a good comparison.

Most Americans, Canadians and Mexicans are okay with Great Britain.

With Japan and Korea its visible to the point of protests.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I find it funny that my mom's ex before getting with my dad was Korean

And my dad being Japanese.

I've met him because he was the pastor at the church I used to go to, years ago

He was also the pastor at my grandfather's funeral

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
SoulCalibur has a variety of non-evil Koreans iirc. They did originally create a British Misturugi clone though for the Korean release because of him being Japanese iirc.

I believe the anti-Japanese sentiment is stronger with the Koreans than vice versa due to historical precedent, (though I am part Japanese so I can't speak from a truly unbiased perspective), but I suspect both are at point where it's not so fanatical it would prevent things like M&S games from taking place. Nintendo and probably Sega have a Korean presence, which they wouldn't if things were truly that volatile.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Japan built temples to hold noses they collected from Koreans as trophies
Uh...

This isn't even a good comparison.

Most Americans, Canadians and Mexicans are okay with Great Britain.

With Japan and Korea its visible to the point of protests.
Oh, I didn't know that, it actually sounds pretty bad, I thought it was just some silly country rivalry.
Well, even if Nintendo doesn't, I guess they'd be scared of potential backlash.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also there is always the "Nanking Massacre"

Which also has another name that's censored on this site

Edit: I guess that's China though

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hey, guess what time it is? Time to ramble!

So basically I'm gonna talk about the Marvel Infinite demo and share my opinion of the game at this very moment. For whatever it's worth anyhow. I've played for about an hour/ hour and a half despite being tired. So it's not exactly pro-level impressions here.

I'll mostly talk about Mega Man X, since he was the character I was trying to get a genuine feel for. But I'll he the first to admit I don't have the best timing when it comes to Capcom's fighters. It feel completely different when compared to Tekken and NRS titles.

The Good:

- So far the game play feels fine. If you played Marvel 3, there's not too much in the way of re-learning aside from the stupid Down Down motions. Down HP is a universal launcher it seems. As with other Marvel games, you can expect the Magic Series of L to H. With Mega Man X, he can do LP, LK, HP, HK. There's some variations of that, but it's pretty standard.

- The tag system works well, especially if you play Tekken Tag 2, it's much more like that game than anything else at the moment. Despite this being the case, I wouldn't call it better than the assist system by any means. Just that the tag combos aren't outright trash and have their place.

- Infinity Stones are probably the coolest addition to the game as a whole. Gaining two specific powers from each. Power Stone is really basic in it's function, but it is effective. Time is a lot more interesting, since you can maneuver around like crazy. though you're bound to get hit if you don't properly time it, Time Dash has some decent cool down before you can attack. And getting A-Groove like Normals is fine with me. Not sure if I like being able to sacrifice Stone meter to do a Level 3. Seems a bit unneeded. And too gimmicky. Kind of takes away the special parts of using a level 3, you know what I mean?

- The game looks solid in motion, but there's some issues I'll bring up later. Certain characters look cool. Iron Man for example looks clean. Mega Man X didn't get jacked up and neither did Captain Marvel's face.

- Mega Man X: So I've got a lot to say with the little bit of time I put into the character. Most of it positive. Mega Man X seems like he can offer two different playstyles depending on the player and situation. Either as projectile based rushdown, as in you use the special weapons to close the distance and start a solid combo. Dash cancelling with the X-Buster and using either the Slide Kick or Buster Hammer to close the distance while giving the opponent something else to worry about. Or, just as an ordinary Keep-a-way fighter. Which is kind of expected. Unlike Mega Man, Mega Man Volnutt and Zero, Mega Man X doesn't just hold a button to the charge the X-Buster. Instead, you do a fireball motion. You can still charge it, but you'll be a sitting duck for a bit doing so. The buster is the only straight forward projectile Mega Man X. Each of his other ones, Boomerang Cutter from Mega Man X1, Sonic Slicer from Mega Man X2, Frost Shield from Mega Man X3, and Rising Fire from Mega Man X4.

- The X- Buster has really cool dash cancelling you can do with the Light Punch follow up to close the gap. A smarter opponent will likely be able to fling some of the standard buster shots back since some projectiles can be reflected with Advancing Guard. I don't know if the Charge Shot reacts like this, but it doesn't seem so. You can shot hop a shot and then use another one of the ground to fill the screen up a bit at least.

- Boomerang Cutter: This might be one my favorite moves, namely for the fact it'll hit high then low once it comes back around, which can be great for tripping people up.

- Sonic Slicer: This seems like the better of the two anti-air moves, since it's shot at a nice angle. Good for throwing out in between other shots. Mixing the two weapons you can throw out at once will probably be your best bet in a lot of situations.

- Frost Shield: This attack's going to have some decent use. Aside from being shot from a downwards angle, this one is the closest to being a standard projectile to compliment the X-Buster. More importantly, Mega Man X can freeze someone with this, opening them up for a combo. And it seems like the freezing lasts a decent while.

- Rising Fire: I feel like this weapon will be used the least outside of launching the opponent. It's fast, but it doesn't cover the screen space of Sonic Slicer. Probably okay for throwing out on wake-up if you think it'll work. It can also be shot twice in a row.

- He's got two different Projectile supers. The full Power Charge shot works like your typical Shinku Hadoken. And Special Weapon Rush is an Anti-Air rush of Sonic Slicers and Boomerang cutters with decent horizontal range too.

- Light Armor is Mega Man X' transformation super and it boosts up his projectile game. For example, the X-Buster charges up MUCH faster and levels up to the Purple version really quickly. The MAX charge shot covers a good amount of the screen. The other projectiles become stronger and cover a larger area too. This is more noticeable with Sonic Slicer and Boomerang Cutter.

- I think his LK, HK, FHK is a good combo to get started with, you can cancel the last hit and land a Buster or Rising Fire quickly.

- The variety of ways you fight jobbers is kind of neat. There's only two kinds, but you either do a normal match, take on a larger wave, or fight two at once like a mini Dramatic Battle situation.

- Some of the other characters are still fun to play too, but I haven't delved too deep into them yet.

The Bad:

- The enemy AI is still dumb as hell though, and it's really hard to practice and learn anything decent with them if they keep bumbling around or die off too quickly. You try out a special move a couple of times and before you notice, the second opponent is half dead already.

- Again, having Down Down motions doesn't feel right, unless it's a dive kick or something.

- While I like the Infinity Stone stuff, again, the thing that's off putting to me is using that meter for a level 3 while in Infinity Storm mode. It's too much of a "win button" situation.

- The background music so far is meh. Not the dynamic and flashy **** you'd expect from Marvel vs Capcom. I think this is just story mode music. And it's not sick as **** the Daily Bugle theme from Marvel 3. I think character themes still exist, so that'll probably more interesting, I hope.

- The visuals still need work. Why they would change from Marvel 3's aesthetic I'll never know. That's the one thing in that game that is absolutely spot on. Despite complaints in other areas. I assume so it'll look more like the movies, but really who gives a ****? It doesn't look great at the moment. It's like an early 360 game. I only hope a later build or some KOF 14 style update fixes **** up.

- The voice acting is hit or miss, I think this is because they did some stuff during the voice actor strike, and it shows. Some characters sound okay, while others sound really generic, namely Captain Marvel. She sounds just like some chick. Dante sounds fine though. Mega Man X sounds weird, not terrible, just weird. Because when talking in some scenes his voice gets very deep, but when fighting he sounds like a 14 year old, it ain't consistent. Still leagues better than Mega Man X4 and X7.

-As redundant as it might seem, the faces are ugly. I mean, they ****ed up poor Chun-Li. What did she do to Capcom? Who let this happen to her. Why'd they do it? Why does she have a weird yellow tint on her face in certain spots, like on her chin and ****.

- Dante looks like they wrung him out like a wash cloth. Why is this ***** so dry looking? You touch him once and he's gonna crumble into dirt. Who did this to Dante? The one male character who should ALWAYS look stylin' and they do him dirty like this.

- Rocket Raccoon also looks weird as hell.

- Captain America got it the worst of all. He's got this thousand yard stare and it bugs the hell out of me. His chosen design isn't too great either since his classic costume worked so well in literally every other game. His ears stick out awkwardly too. making him look even weirder.

I wanted to get that out of the way. I still feel like I'll wait on the game to be cheaper before buying it, or wait for Ultimate/Amazing/Uncanny/Spectacular/Super/Ultra/Mega/Rocking/XL Marvel Infinite or whatever other name they got in store for a potential update.

So now I'm done rambling.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also there is always the "Nanking Massacre"

Which also has another name that's censored on this site
Nanking is in China, who have their own contention with Japan.

It's not uncommon for adjacent countries to hold hostilities like this. There's a lot of history with many grievances on both sides. Europe had a lot of this too in various points in history. Also there's the middle east...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Wow, I only paid attention to Kingdom Hearts news this E3 while not keeping in touch with Nintendo. Bad mistake this year.

I only now just found out about a MARIO & LUIGI SUPERSTAR SAGA REMAKE that was announced yesterday.

Also, two new Metroid games, Prime 4 being one them. I'm not a Metorid fan, but it's nice to see the community finally get something good after all these years. I wonder if people are also working on a new F-Zero?

----

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
His face is all scrunched up and creepy looking still. And I thought the new TV Mega Man looked weird. Granted that design did get cleaned up a bit.
I think this looks much better than the Mega Man design for the new cartoon, even with the design cleaned up.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I love how people are still hoping for Animal Crossing for Switch to get revealed tomorrow on the Treehouse.

Uhhh...unlike a port/remake of a prior game, there's very little to no chance that a new installment of one the biggest Nintendo franchises wouldn't get announced in the main Spotlight.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think this looks much better than the Mega Man design for the new cartoon, even with the design cleaned up.
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Not that either design is what I'd want.

I really was hoping the Mega Man cartoon would just be the Archie comics in an animated format.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I love how people are still hoping for Animal Crossing for Switch to get revealed tomorrow on the Treehouse.

Uhhh...unlike a port/remake of a prior game, there's very little to no chance that a new installment of one the biggest Nintendo franchises wouldn't get announced in the main Spotlight.
I dont expect Animal Crossing at all this year.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

People are insatiable. Literally we got so much neat stuff during the spotlight and still after that we got a new Metroid.

Totally agree though. AC is a headliner game. It'd be an anchor for a Direct or presentation. I'm guessing it's going to function as one of Nintendo's top tier games for 2018.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was going to say "I think animal crossing is better on handheld than console" due to pick up and play gamestyle

But then I remembered Switch can be mobile

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Oh god they added new units to Fire Emblem Heroes and one of them is cute!
You're talking about Athena, right? :awesome:

I'm thankful that I have only played the recent games, I can take a break from summoning for a bit since I don't recognize the new banner. Kinda wish I had been so frugal when the game first came out.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Not that either design is what I'd want.

I really was hoping the Mega Man cartoon would just be the Archie comics in an animated format.
That's what I was hoping for too.

The only experience I have with the Mega Man comic is the first Sonic crossover, but what I read of that makes me really want that Mega Man to have an animated series.

I feel Mega Man is a series that has some of the greatest potential for an animated series. Yet whenever one is made, something seems to get in the way. Like how the look of the Ruby Spears cartoon was "Americanized" from the original pitch.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
You're talking about Athena, right? :awesome:

I'm thankful that I have only played the recent games, I can take a break from summoning for a bit since I don't recognize the new banner. Kinda wish I had been so frugal when the game first came out.
Nah I meant the other one. I didn't even know that was a girl until now. lol

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I haven't checked. Is Athena's art done by the same person that did Eliwood's? It has that whole "eyes the size of watermelons" aesthetic going on.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I haven't checked. Is Athena's art done by the same person that did Eliwood's? It has that whole "eyes the size of watermelons" aesthetic going on.
It is indeed.
http://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Miyuu

That being said, I hope to get one of the new characters. So many nice abilities. Katarina with Swift Sparrow and Atk Ploy, Roderick with Firesweep Lance, Rally Def/Res and Drive Defense, Luke with Fire Boost and Panic Ploy. And Athena is great as well. Innate Wo Dao + Moonbow, tied with Anna for 2nd Highest Speed(at Neutral, not including IVs), as well as Sturdy Blow and Sword Exp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom