• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Also.
Blue Update 8
We've cleared out the seas, the PokeMansion, and slammed Blaine into the ground.
Giovanni's gonna be an even bigger joke.
:051::053::135: :055: 41
:124::071: 42
16 hours in.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I honestly really liked HGSS' Safari Zone, as while the mechanics could still be troublesome at times, the options it did provide made it a very useful tool in the game. My only issue with it was that it implemented that time system, and I'm not waiting over 150 days for a Bagon.

I would've rather had Pseudos and Legends get no Megas.

Because they don't really need them.
I think it depends on the Legend and Pseudo-Legendary, as while they bare the title of their group, it also doesn't automatically mean that they're good. The Regis are a great example of that for the former, and while none of the latter are necessarily terrible, Goodra isn't exactly making waves either and base Metagross was having issues as well (you could also make an argument for Salamence, though I think that depends on the format as it's supposed to only be average in Singles). So some of them could use the benefits to bring them up to par and make them viable in the game, it's just a matter of not overdoing it like they did with Kangaskhan or Salamence, or just giving them so much favoritism that they overshadow everything else around them.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
YOOOOOOO
Finally another video on OPM and even the best scene of the first season

*You could have at least tried*
I literally just watched that video because it popped up on my home page and figured "why not", and then it pops up here.

Spoopy.

Welp, back to assignments.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I think it depends on the Legend and Pseudo-Legendary, as while they bare the title of their group, it also doesn't automatically mean that they're good. The Regis are a great example of that for the former, and while none of the latter are necessarily terrible, Goodra isn't exactly making waves either and base Metagross was having issues as well (you could also make an argument for Salamence, though I think that depends on the format as it's supposed to only be average in Singles). So some of them could use the benefits to bring them up to par and make them viable in the game, it's just a matter of not overdoing it like they did with Kangaskhan or Salamence, or just giving them so much favoritism that they overshadow everything else around them.
Salamence may of been average in usage, but it was still powerful in its own right. A Mega Evolution was a leap from giving it the little tweak it needed to just turning it into an insane fast tank sweeper with STAB Double Edge.

My point is that certain Pokémon shouldn't get Mega Evolutions because if they need a repair of some kind, there are better, least broken ways to be it, whereas certain Pokémon could use MEs without turning into powerhouses, like Mega Sceptile, Mega Gardevoir, etc..

I dunno. Just my opinion on MEs. Honestly, it doesn't matter because they got banned altogether. But I see potential in Mega Evolution, and GameFreak seems to be willing to fix up Megas this time, so we'll see where that goes.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
GoNintendo choosing to no longer report on Patcher after his insult to Iwata was no surprise.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/10/16/gonintendo-refuses-to-cover-any-further-michael-pachter-news/

Surprised the cuck is still relevant to this day.
On one hand, it's a good thing to do since as an analyst, he's shoddy at best.

On the other, it's a potentially bad thing due to the fact that their reasoning wasn't his track record.

Instead they're saying and doing this solely because of the Iwata thing. This really doesn't help the whole negative NintenDrone stereotype so pervasive around the Internet. Give a dissenting opinion on a deceased man? Blacklisted from everywhere. And let's not forget the glorious MNN comment section, and elsewhere, with people shouting death threats at Pachter over his opinion of Iwata. It just reinforces the stereotype that Nintendo fans get childishly defensive at the drop of a hat.

Honestly? While I agree he shouldn't be covered (his shoddy record makes "news" a potentially unreliable misnomer), GoNintendo's reasoning has made me lose some respect for them, which is a shame. The guy gave an opinion. Whether or not it was "too mean" is irrelevant. Making a big public spectacle of blacklisting him is childish and attention-seeking. It's no different than when one outlet (Polygon I think) made that post saying they refused to review and play through Star Fox: Zero because they didn't like the controls.

It's the same situation. If you're gonna blacklist him, do it for the right reasons and do it discretely.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Now this a battle for the ages. Move over goku and vegeta. Step aside batman and superman.because pacman vs danny phantom is a battle that will go down in history has a classic

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

On the other, it's a potentially bad thing due to the fact that their reasoning wasn't his track record.

Instead they're saying and doing this solely because of the Iwata thing. This really doesn't help the whole negative NintenDrone stereotype so pervasive around the Internet. Give a descending opinion on a deceased man? Blacklisted from everywhere. And let's not forget the glorious MNN comment section, and elsewhere, with people shouting death threats at Pachter over his opinion of Iwata. It just reinforces the stereotype that Nintendo fans get childishly defensive at the drop of a hat.

Honestly? While I agree he shouldn't be covered (his shoddy record makes "news" a potentially unreliable misnomer), GoNintendo's reasoning has made me lose some respect for them, which is a shame. The guy gave an opinion. Whether or not it was "too mean" is irrelevant. Making a big public spectacle of blacklisting him is childish and attention-seeking. It's no different than when one outlet (Polygon I think) made that post saying they refused to review and play through Star Fox: Zero because they didn't like the controls.

It's the same situation. If you're gonna blacklist him, do it for the right reasons and do it discretely.
From what I saw, the site owner considered it the final straw, meaning he was fed up with Pachter in general

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Instead they're saying and doing this solely because of the Iwata thing. This really doesn't help the whole negative NintenDrone stereotype so pervasive around the Internet. Give a dissenting opinion on a deceased man? Blacklisted from everywhere. And let's not forget the glorious MNN comment section, and elsewhere, with people shouting death threats at Pachter over his opinion of Iwata. It just reinforces the stereotype that Nintendo fans get childishly defensive at the drop of a hat.

And don't forget that Polygon stated that the game Bayonetta 2 was sexist in their review (mostly about the sexualization in general).

Because you know, it's perfect journalism to involve feminist politics in gaming.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I have a question. Couldn't Nintendo release Xenogears or Xenosaga if they wanted? Project X Zone 2 has KOSMOS and as far as I know, SE didn't have their name on the game
Xenosaga is Namco.
Xenogears is SE.

KOS-MOS is from Xenosaga.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Salamence may of been average in usage, but it was still powerful in its own right. A Mega Evolution was a leap from giving it the little tweak it needed to just turning it into an insane fast tank sweeper with STAB Double Edge.

My point is that certain Pokémon shouldn't get Mega Evolutions because if they need a repair of some kind, there are better, least broken ways to be it, whereas certain Pokémon could use MEs without turning into powerhouses, like Mega Sceptile, Mega Gardevoir, etc..

I dunno. Just my opinion on MEs. Honestly, it doesn't matter because they got banned altogether. But I see potential in Mega Evolution, and GameFreak seems to be willing to fix up Megas this time, so we'll see where that goes.
I'm going to play a bit of Devil's advocate here as I don't completely disagree with your point, but I do feel some counterpoints are worth raising here.

Firstly, giving a Mega Evolution to a Pokémon doesn't mean it's automatically going to break them. Garchomp is a great example of that as it's a powerful Pokémon with a Mega, yet said Mega is seen as an average alternative playstyle at best. Similarly, Scizor is a great Pokémon, yet its Mega didn't drive it up into Ubers, it's just another option that Scizor can play around with. So it's not like GF can't give a 'good' Pokémon a Mega and keep it from being broken, they have shown that they can balance out the respective power of the original Pokémon with the boosts of a Mega and keep it within bounds.

Additionally, the amount of tweaking that may be required to bring Pokémon like Salamence back up may not be so minor as the issues that Salamence had such as not adapting well to the power creep and being overshadowed by other Pokémon may require more of a boost then what is provided through something like a simple 10+ to a stat. A +10 to its defense stat may not be enough to keep it from failing to endure the more powerful options being thrown at it, the addition to its attack may not be enough to make it strong enough to take down threats that would otherwise KO it, and the addition to speed may not be enough to help it deal with Fairy types, who are already bulky and don't really care if it gets faster. So a Mega could be seen as the more feasible option since it could provide the exact boosts it needs to better deal with those options, or give it an alternative playstyle that can give it its own niche away from other Pokémon.

So Megas going to supposedly powerful options may not necessarily mean that those Pokémon will become broken, some do as shown with Gengar, but others don't such as the aforementioned Scizor. Hell, some Pokemon didn't even need to start strong to wreak havoc such as we're shown with Kangaskhan, it just needed the right tools given to it to do the damage that it did. It's really just a matter of balance, and while we may not agree with those supposedly powerful Pokémon getting those options, it doesn't mean that GF can't properly balance them out so that they don't completely break the game on their knee.

Chrono.

I just learned there's a TTG episode that's a loose guide to buying real estate and earning equity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And don't forget that Polygon stated that the game Bayonetta 2 was sexist in their review (mostly about the sexualization in general).

Because you know, it's perfect journalism to involve feminist politics in gaming.
I mean, I don't think Bayonetta is in any way sexist but, saying it can't be brought up is like saying you couldn't complain about a game being outright offensive like Duke Nukem Forever(though it was just one of its many flaws)
The complaint is fair, just not for Bayonetta

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You forgot how M-Pinsir, M-Gardevoir and M-Salamence recently took a hit too with '-ate' abilities getting nerfed
I just don't see Z-Moves becoming viable despite my love for them
I must have missed that, how are they getting nerfed?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
-ate abilities no longer receive the 30% boost on affected moves...
Seems fair, they already get the STAB bonus. Hyper Voice on Mega Gardevoir could still be useful, especially if they've STILL neglected to expand Fairy's movepool.

Where was this confirmed?

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Speaking of Bug Catching Contest, did you guys like the Safari Zone's change in ORAS?

I'm personally torn about it: It was always annoying to get the rarer Pokemon of Safari Zone, but the ORAS version just wasn't that fun anymore...

EDIT: This was my 8,000th post!
In my playthroughs of ORAS, I've gone into the Safari Zone once.
About 5 minutes in I encountered and caught a shiny Psyduck.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
And suddenly, an apology. Didn't expect that quick of a response.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/10/...iwata/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
While I do think Patcher's comment about Iwata was completely tasteless with the way he worded it out, I think people need to take a step back a bit in terms of not working themselves in to a frenzy over it. Knowing some Nintendo fans (the very reactionary ones), they have a tendency to do very stupid things like send hate mail and death threats. Patcher's comment was stupid but it doesn't warrant those kind of things.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Also, Shovel Knight update: Haven't started playing today due to being forced over to mass, and college applications,but I'll try to get started on.....hmmm, propeller knight, polar knight, tinker knight.......tinker knight's stage by 2.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'mFirstly, giving a Mega Evolution to a Pokémon doesn't mean it's automatically going to break them. Garchomp is a great example of that as it's a powerful Pokémon with a Mega, yet said Mega is seen as an average alternative playstyle at best. Similarly, Scizor is a great Pokémon, yet its Mega didn't drive it up into Ubers, it's just another option that Scizor can play around with. So it's not like GF can't give a 'good' Pokémon a Mega and keep it from being broken, they have shown that they can balance out the respective power of the original Pokémon with the boosts of a Mega and keep it within bounds.
That's not what I meant. Nor did I say all Megas are broken.

What I'm saying is that Pokemon like Scizor and Garchomp DON'T need Mega Evolutions because they're very powerful as is. Not broken, but above average. That's why when I hear, "oh, Dragonite should get a Mega cause Salamence did" it just makes me cringe. The idea of something already so good getting more then it needs, when there's forgotten Pokemon like Dunsparce dusting in the corner.
Additionally, the amount of tweaking that may be required to bring Pokémon like Salamence back up may not be so minor as the issues that Salamence had such as not adapting well to the power creep and being overshadowed by other Pokémon may require more of a boost then what is provided through something like a simple 10+ to a stat. A +10 to its defense stat may not be enough to keep it from failing to endure the more powerful options being thrown at it, the addition to its attack may not be enough to make it strong enough to take down threats that would otherwise KO it, and the addition to speed may not be enough to help it deal with Fairy types, who are already bulky and don't really care if it gets faster. So a Mega could be seen as the more feasible option since it could provide the exact boosts it needs to better deal with those options, or give it an alternative playstyle that can give it its own niche away from other Pokémon.
Pokémon is a team-based RPG. Nearly everything has a weakness, and its up to team setup to create synergy between Pokémon to counter each others' problems. One of Salamence's big issue is Fairies. So partner it with a Pokémon who can cover its weakness, like Magnezone, etc.. Giving it a Mega Evolution in an attempt to subdue its weaknesses is taking what Pokémon is and removing the teamwork. That's why in multiple tiers, Mega Salamence is considered Uber, because it doesn't need a whole lot of support below Ubers. Kind of stomped on my own post from before, but rather, don't give it any tweaks; give it proper support and Salamence can perform well enough. I stand my ground when I say Salamence should NOT have gotten an ME.
So Megas going to supposedly powerful options may not necessarily mean that those Pokémon will become broken, some do as shown with Gengar, but others don't such as the aforementioned Scizor. Hell, some Pokemon didn't even need to start strong to wreak havoc such as we're shown with Kangaskhan, it just needed the right tools given to it to do the damage that it did. It's really just a matter of balance, and while we may not agree with those supposedly powerful Pokémon getting those options, it doesn't mean that GF can't properly balance them out so that they don't completely break the game on their knee.
Mega Kangaskhan was given a stupidly broken ability and that alone broke it as a Pokemon. As I said above, that ability, Mega Mawile getting Huge Power, and Mega Salamence getting once-boosted Aerialate, were just crazy additions that weren't give any real thought. Those things were over boosts that went above and beyond a simple buff.

But this generation is fixing those issues. Maybe not all of them, but they're working on them. And in time, maybe some of the Uber Megas will finally tier down. Regardless, I fully support MEs, but feel future MEs, if any, should be for those who really need it, and not for those who are well established within the competitive community.

I'm sick so if I'm being indesisive or not making sense, apologies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just look at it like this. Salamence got a Mega because GameFreak wanted all of the E4's aces to have a Mega form for their rematches, and Drake's ace definitely wasn't Altaria.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I just look at it like this. Salamence got a Mega because GameFreak wanted all of the E4's aces to have a Mega form for their rematches, and Drake's ace definitely wasn't Altaria.
...fair enough. ;p

Yeah I don't wanna debate it anymore. I think I'm gonna go to bed. Bleh.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
My problem with Pachter isn't what he's said about Nintendo: He's an all round bad and mostly wrong "analyst" with no true experience on the subject he's being paid to do. Not to mention he doesn't deserve the attention he gets with all his flaws.

But does he deserve death threats? Absolutely not.

Last edited:
To be fair, Sableye wasn't Phoebe's ace in the first battle, and Glalie wasn't Glacia's. They could've just made Altaria Drake's ace in the rematch.

D

Deleted member

I wonder how the hell do Japanese VAs work on so much stuff, sometimes in the same season
Like, I just recently found out that Rohan, Reigen, Barbero(91 Days) and Kyio(Zatch Bell) were all voiced by the same guy, and he still has a full list of other roles
Also, Dio is in almost everything too

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wonder how the hell do Japanese VAs work on so much stuff, sometimes in the same season
Like, I just recently found out that Rohan, Reigen, Barbero(91 Days) and Kyio(Zatch Bell) were all voiced by the same guy, and he still has a full list of other roles
Also, Dio is in almost everything too
Japan's got a big ass market for this stuff and if you're a good voice actor, there's high demand and it's a easy way to make a **** ton of money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom