• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Arslan Senki and Mob Psycho 100 keep getting better with every episode.
I should probably try watching something else from this season too because there seems to be some good shows on it and I don't want to find out about them when they already ended
On that note, I recently watched Bungou Stray Dogs, most of the jokes felt out of place and forced but it was really good when it treated itself seriously

What are we talking about right now? Pokemon GO? Oh yeah...
Screenshot_2016-07-25-22-10-04-1.png

D

Deleted member

Wow, why were you guys talking about Smash NX again? Did i miss some new silly rumor or did you guys wanted to go back at the discussion for the hell of it?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So. . .decided to look back at a couple of the SourceGaming NX game development speculation articles. Not too much exciting suggested, but it did remind me of one thought I had.

Is it possible Nintendo would try to launch the NX with Mario Kart 9? SourceGaming doesn't seem to think so, but with the development time frame between Mario Karts they provided. . .

I do remember it being called one of Nintendo's big sellers.

Actually, I'm looking at Wikipedia's best-selling 3DS games, and Mario Kart is #2 and Animal Crossing (which I think might be launch) is #6. Two of the games in from of them are Pokemon, which isn't happening on NX, and the other two are Mario platformers, which I think is going to be stuck in development until holiday 2017. Then they're #3 and #9 on DS. . .#2 and #18 on Wii. . .#2 and #6 on Gamecube. All with Mario Kart as the higher selling one, of course.

. . .It would be a REALLY good move for Nintendo to get titles in both of these series out at launch.

And then there's Zelda on those same systems. #4 Wind Waker, #22 TP Gamecube, #13 TP Wii, #21 Skyward Sword, #17 Phantom Hourglass, #28 Spirit Tracks, #11 for Ocarina of Time 3D, #17 for A Link Between Worlds, #22 for Majora's Mask 3D.

Literally everything from all three series except the Twilight Princess Gamecube version sold over the 2 million mark Nintendo is shooting for right now, and quite a darn few sold over four million.

Like, let's just lay out an NX launch like this for a second.

Mario Kart 9
Animal Crossing
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

What if Nintendo actually did this? What would happen?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So. . .decided to look back at a couple of the SourceGaming NX game development speculation articles. Not too much exciting suggested, but it did remind me of one thought I had.

Is it possible Nintendo would try to launch the NX with Mario Kart 9? SourceGaming doesn't seem to think so, but with the development time frame between Mario Karts they provided. . .

Actually, I'm looking at Wikipedia's best-selling 3DS games, and Mario Kart is #2 and Animal Crossing (which I think might be launch) is #6. Two of the games in from of them are Pokemon, which isn't happening on NX, and the other two are Mario platformers, which I think is going to be stuck in development until holiday 2017. Then they're #3 and #9 on DS. . .#2 and #18 on Wii. . .#2 and #6 on Gamecube. All with Mario Kart as the higher selling one, of course.

. . .It would be a REALLY good move for Nintendo to get titles in both of these series out at launch.

And then there's Zelda on those same systems. #4 Wind Waker, #22 TP Gamecube, #13 TP Wii, #21 Skyward Sword, #17 Phantom Hourglass, #28 Spirit Tracks, #11 for Ocarina of Time 3D, #17 for A Link Between Worlds, #22 for Majora's Mask 3D.

Literally everything from all three series except the Twilight Princess Gamecube version sold over the 2 million mark Nintendo is shooting for right now, and quite a darn few sold over four million.

Mario Kart 9
Animal Crossing

That would be a terrible launch line-up.

One game that's on an existing console and another two that already have existing versions people enjoy.

They'd be better off replacing Mario Kart with an actual 3D Mario. It's been long enough at this point.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Mario Kart 9
Animal Crossing

That lineup's looking rather thin....as big as those series are there needs to be more to draw in a bigger crowd, one of the biggest issues that lead to the failure of the Wii U was a weak launch...

Do you know what would make a great launch title?....

Do I even need to say it?
:4falcon:
surprised?
:4samus:

not surprised?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
That would be a terrible launch line-up.

One game that's on an existing console and another two that already have existing versions people enjoy.

They'd be better off replacing Mario Kart with an actual 3D Mario. It's been long enough at this point.
I think they're having problems with 3D Mario. They've actually spoken on whatever they're working on and assuming they don't have two at once they're not going to be able to show it off until E3 2017, and even that was only a maybe.

I'm not sure how that's going to stop them considering three of their best selling franchises sell pretty consistently well even on systems with predecessors that also have versions of the games and TP Wii outsold TP Gamecube multiple times over.

You could say the same far stronger about the Smash port idea that keeps getting tossed around and people insist they're going to do that to strengthen the launch.

And the same excuse of "These people never bought a Wii U"could easily work for Zelda and Mario Kart. There hasn't even been a console Animal Crossing since City Folk.

That lineup's looking rather thin....as big as those series are there needs to be more to draw in a bigger crowd, one of the biggest issues that lead to the failure of the Wii U was a weak launch...

Do you know what would make a great launch title?....

Do I even need to say it?
:4falcon:
surprised?
:4samus:

not surprised?
:4samus: #7 and #31 for Gamecube, #43 for Wii. All Prime Trilogy. If they did it right it could work, although notably Other M is nowhere to be found.

I think the only system with an F-Zero that also had the other games was the Gamecube, and I can't even find it, which means either it wasn't documented well enough or it didn't break 1 million copies.

I'm not saying those three titles would be the only thing there, I'm just not sure what else to speculate being there so far. I'm kind of surprised that three of the best selling series in Nintendo's lineup are getting a "terrible launch lineup" reaction, but then maybe the reason why they sell is more because of the casual market. The Wii U certainly didn't have anything like those at launch.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
A line up of Animal Crossing, Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 9 would feel more dry than the Wii U's launch.

For a more substantial post - I don't think that Nintendo would risk their new console on some of their most successful IPs and just leave it at that. It wouldn't make the system fun regardless if it was just that at launch. I'd much rather them tackle the NX's early launch market with games that promise entertainment and enjoyability from the console's early days, and then work towards classic game IPs we know and love, and potentially spicing the platform up with new IPs every now and then, either on massive scales or on small scales.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not even sure why you didn't even mention Just Dance and Pikmin 4.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think they're having problems with 3D Mario. They've actually spoken on whatever they're working on and assuming they don't have two at once they're not going to be able to show it off until E3 2017, and even that was only a maybe.

I'm not sure how that's going to stop them considering three of their best selling franchises sell pretty consistently well even on systems with predecessors that also have versions of the games and TP Wii outsold TP Gamecube multiple times over.

You could say the same far stronger about the Smash port idea that keeps getting tossed around and people insist they're going to do that to strengthen the launch.

And the same excuse of "These people never bought a Wii U"could easily work for Zelda and Mario Kart. There hasn't even been a console Animal Crossing since City Folk.

:4samus: #7 and #31 for Gamecube, #43 for Wii. All Prime Trilogy. If they did it right it could work, although notably Other M is nowhere to be found.

I think the only system with an F-Zero that also had the other games was the Gamecube, and I can't even find it, which means either it wasn't documented well enough or it didn't break 1 million copies.

I'm not saying those three titles would be the only thing there, I'm just not sure what else to speculate being there so far. I'm kind of surprised that three of the best selling series in Nintendo's lineup are getting a "terrible launch lineup" reaction, but then maybe the reason why they sell is more because of the casual market. The Wii U certainly didn't have anything like those at launch.
The Wii sold because it had Wii Sports bundled with it. Literally, that was the reason it did so well.

Nintendo will need a more solid launch line-up than a direct port and sequels to two games that are still played by a lot of people, to convince people to buy it. Or another Wii Sports tier hook.

And the idea of a Smash Bros port is different than a Zelda one. Smash Bros would add content to an old game. Zelda is literally the same game releasing on two systems at the same time.

If anything, the release of the NX would cause Wii U price cuts and people who just want Zelda will get the cheap Wii U and the game on that.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Really looking forward to Sonic Mania now.
Ugh i really wanna like sonic mania,i looks like fun and i like the direction its going.But that part of me in which i feel sonic is really to much on the classic series still rings hard in me.Dont get me wrong i love Sonic 2 and S3&K(personally think Sonic 1 is very average game) but 4 games having classic sonic/classic sonic gameplay(sonic 4,generations,mania,and whatever this 2017 project is.) Maybe because i didnt grow up with the classics, i grew up with heroes,shadow,black knight,rivals,unleashed true not all gems like the classic series but there the games most our younger fanbases, those around 16-18 started on and i would like to see either try something new and if they have to take inspiration from something try taking some things that worked back than in bringing it back.Constantly reusing class sonic/classic sonic gameplay is the very definition of playing it safe or maybe im just blind

Last edited by a moderator:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Other M did sell about 1.4 million, despite it's very poor reception...if you're looking on a Wiki, it's very possible that someone could've edited it out...that's the problem with looking up information on wikis...

F-Zero GX sold around 650,000...not a very substantial number compared to other Nintendo IPs...

D

Deleted member

OK, so i checked which games are coming to the NX, just to refresh my memory.
First the confirmed ones, as in, officially confirmed to happen, the list includes:
-Project Sonic 2017.
-Just Dance.
-Breath of the Wild.

......and that's it. I should mention that Dragon Quest XI was initially confirmed for the NX, but Square retracted later, and now it's "under consideration".

Pikmin 4 exists.........and that's all we have. Yeah Miyamoto said that it was "Close to completion", but im taking that statement with a pinch of salt, especially after how Pikmin 3 ended up in development hell. However i believe that Pikmin 4 is way more likely to be on the NX that it is for the Wii U, mostly because the Wii U is pretty much abandoned now. It's NOT confirmed for the NX, but it is pretty safe to assume that it is for that console (or that it was moved to the NX)

Then there's that one game called Rise: Race of the future. The original trailer had the NX logo on it, but they........"censored" it (not remove it, they censored it) so im not sure about that one game.

Square confimed that FF XV is not currently planned for the NX, though they said that they have "high expectations" for the NX. Take that as you will.

As for any possible Launch games, Smash NX and the like............ i don't want to say anything about it. I want to see the NX first, then i will be interesed to talk about the possible games. Hell, i don't even know what the NX looks like, and the name NX is a codename rather than the actual name (though at this point, it might as well be called NX since everybody calls it that way)

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The Wii sold because it had Wii Sports bundled with it. Literally, that was the reason it did so well.

Nintendo will need a more solid launch line-up than a direct port and sequels to two games that are still played by a lot of people, to convince people to buy it. Or another Wii Sports tier hook.

And the idea of a Smash Bros port is different than a Zelda one. Smash Bros would add content to an old game. Zelda is literally the same game releasing on two systems at the same time.

If anything, the release of the NX would cause Wii U price cuts and people who just want Zelda will get the cheap Wii U and the game on that.
Well out of curiosity, is there anything other than 3D Mario that you have in mind?

Not even sure why you didn't even mention Just Dance and Pikmin 4.
Two reasons. One being that I was more thinking about what would be the "hooks," and the other being that I wasn't sure if Just Dance was specified for launch or not and with Pikmin 4's postponement situation I'm confused as to whether or not they'll be getting it out for launch.

Other M did sell about 1.4 million, despite it's very poor reception...if you're looking on a Wiki, it's very possible that someone could've edited it out...that's the problem with looking up information on wikis...

F-Zero GX sold around 650,000...not a very substantial number compared to other Nintendo IPs...
Yeah, as unreliable as it probably is I'm a lazybutt who checks Wikipedia for everything so someone might have edit trolled it due to it's reception.

Metroid would be a good choice to round out the genres for the system, I'm just not sure who they'd have work on it.

As for Retro. . .

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/28/wii-u-is-a-powerhouse-says-donkey-kong-country-developer

They have SOMETHING that will likely be ready at the NX's launch, but I have no idea what. They're open to the idea of another Metroid, but saying "We'd love to come back to them sometime" almost implies they're working on something different than what they have before.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
*watches this in bed on his phone as his 70-odd amiibo sit at the opposite end of the bed on that shelf I dread dusting pretty soon*

I haven't used some of them in a year I think.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, I skimmed through the last pages and I saw that thing about Prof. Layton getting a female protag.

I'm really going to miss Christopher Robin Miller's voice. :ohwell:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So here's two questions for you all then.

What do you want to see for NX?

And,

What do you think would be smartest fiscally for Nintendo to release on NX?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Pokemon Go will increase Sun and Moon sales...however we're not talking in the tens of millions...the game has introduced many people to Pokemon and could very well catch the interest of many...

As I said not everyone who plays Go is going to invest in a 3DS and a mainline Pokemon game since this game is free to play, but I'm also not doubting that a significant amount of people have gained a greater interest for the brand because of this...

Keyword here is exposure...
Yes, exactly! Couldn't have said it better.

This is what I trying to get at ChikoLad ChikoLad . Exposure to the brand will bring more fans into the genre. You have to remember that not only is it grown adults playing the game, there's also a whole lot of children playing the game who go out of their way to find Pokémon. They're going through their daily lives but a child's daily life is having fun. They spend hours playing the game or however long their battery lasts. Those kids would love to delve deeper into Pokémon. They see the commercial for Sun and Moon. They ask their parents for it. Profit.

On Pokkén. Of course it's not a roaring success. But its exposure to the fighting community through EVO is more than enough to push a few sales. And it's not a bad selling game as is.

D

Deleted member

According to NeoGAF, Emily Rogers claimed fans of handhelds will like NX. The Twitter post can't be viewed because as we all know, her Twitter profile is protected.

I have no idea what's going on.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yes, exactly! Couldn't have said it better.

This is what I trying to get at ChikoLad ChikoLad . Exposure to the brand will bring more fans into the genre. You have to remember that not only is it grown adults playing the game, there's also a whole lot of children playing the game who go out of their way to find Pokémon. They're going through their daily lives but a child's daily life is having fun. They spend hours playing the game or however long their battery lasts. Those kids would love to delve deeper into Pokémon. They see the commercial for Sun and Moon. They ask their parents for it. Profit.

On Pokkén. Of course it's not a roaring success. But its exposure to the fighting community through EVO is more than enough to push a few sales. And it's not a bad selling game as is.
But the children don't have disposable income so again, not as simple as you make it out to be. Plus, I'm pretty sure children don't need GO to get interested in Pokemon.

GO will most likely draw in some adults since they are the ones with the smartphones. But I don't think it's gonna be this huge surge people seem to think will happen. I doubt it will even be more than a marginal difference in sales.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Two reasons. One being that I was more thinking about what would be the "hooks," and the other being that I wasn't sure if Just Dance was specified for launch or not and with Pikmin 4's postponement situation I'm confused as to whether or not they'll be getting it out for launch.
There's no guarantee that Breath of the Wild will be released at launch either...Nintendo's only given us a 2017 release but no set in stone date, while it could very well be a launch title, there's a distinct possiblility it may even be held off until the holidays (I frikkin hope not)

Yeah, as unreliable as it probably is I'm a lazybutt who checks Wikipedia for everything so someone might have edit trolled it due to it's reception.

Metroid would be a good choice to round out the genres for the system, I'm just not sure who they'd have work on it.

As for Retro. . .

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/28/wii-u-is-a-powerhouse-says-donkey-kong-country-developer

They have SOMETHING that will likely be ready at the NX's launch, but I have no idea what. They're open to the idea of another Metroid, but saying "We'd love to come back to them sometime" almost implies they're working on something different than what they have before.
I'm not one to trust rumours and such until we get information from more official sources, but I'm under the assumption that Retro is indeed working on something else for Nintendo...They have made a name for themselves with Metroid Prime, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong so it would be a good opportunity for them to work on a new IP since they are quickly becoming one of Nintendo's more important subsidiaries...

As far as other candidates...
Monolith is a major one to consider...If Metroid takes a more open-world approach Monolith is literally the best available candidate given the work they've done with Xenoblade as well as a number of their staff working on BotW...they also have experience with other Zelda titles as well like Skyward Sword and ALBW...

I can see Capcom making a decent handheld sidescroller for Metroid, though I feel they should focus on a new Megaman title first but they have worked on a number of Zelda titles for Nintendo in the past so working on a Metroid title wouldn't be too unrealistic I feel...

Platinum Games is a maybe...I haven't played many Platinum developed games so I wouldn't know for sure to be honest...but they do have close ties to Nintendo and have experience working on various Sci-fi/Fantasy titles like Metroid...

Square Enix...A part of me would really like to see this...

Turtle Rock Studios....this is pretty much only for my suggestion of an Asymmetrical Multiplayer Metroid crossover structured similarly to Evolve...A game like this seems Ridley's best chance at becoming playable at all...

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
It begins...

D

Deleted member

Yeah but what about people who don't have the game but don't have a Wii U. There's an audience and I rather have that then have no way for Smash to survive on a dying system. The issue is that you guys aren't the target audience but the target audience is the people who don't own the game and want to buy it. It's a better option than having nothing on the NX for launch for a title like that and having to wait for a new Smash game the next 2-4 years if Sakurai is ready. All the port is gonna do is extend the lifespan of the game.
Don't own a Wii U and want to play the latest Smash Bros. game? No problem.

Emily Rogers mentioned that, in one of her old tweets, the port, along with Super Mario Maker and Splatoon, would feel like "brand new" games for those who haven't played it on Wii U... but you see, I thought the 3DS game was a thing for those who didn't own a Wii U. And it's on a better-selling platform as well, which means there's more people playing it. So I don't get that logic.

I get that the 3DS is no home console, but it's right there as an accessible way of playing the game.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
But the children don't have disposable income so again, not as simple as you make it out to be. Plus, I'm pretty sure children don't need GO to get interested in Pokemon.

GO will most likely draw in some adults since they are the ones with the smartphones. But I don't think it's gonna be this huge surge people seem to think will happen. I doubt it will even be more than a marginal difference in sales.
Birthdays and Christmas is about as simple as it gets. Yes, you're right they don't need Go, but does it help? Absolutely!

Adults have smart phones yeah but as of now the average age for kids getting smart phones is 10(?) Years old. My point was never that it was going to blow the sales out of the stratosphere. My point was investors give up and don't see that all Pokémon Go can do to Nintendo is help them. It will absolutely help the brand and it will absolutely help sales. Sure it may not surge or anything but they will increase. Knowing this, as a noninvestor compared to actual investors backing out as soon as Nintendo says that it won't effect their profits, is kinda pathetic to be honest. Hence my original post.

That's what I say as a critic of the stock market. My personal opinion is that it absolutely will increase the sales of Pokémon quite noticeably but that's my opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It begins...

But.. eh... is Liam Robertson reliable? From what I've seen, most signs point to no. Wonder if that really isn't the case.

Chrono.

It begins...
The ride never ends.

The sooner Ninty speaks up the sooner we avoid another rumor mill fiasco like last year's disaster.

Either emily removed my privilege to viee her tweets or twitter mobile is glitching out </3

But.. eh... is Liam Robertson reliable? From what I've seen, most signs point to no. Wonder if that really isn't the case.
Sometimeshe is right on the money and sometimes he misses by a few miles.

I think he has already had a rumor or two about NX shot down* so I wouldn't get too excited yet.

*Or I might be completely wrong because it's almost midnight and im tired. At least I caught a 960 power :080:
:061:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
These two have gotten more wrong than right.

Eh.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
It begins...
Lol i forget all about liam.Eh i dont take anything he says seriously,He's a good guy love his work but im not holding my breath. But emily says the same stuff so maybe they know something :shrug:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

He's either hit or miss, usually miss as Swamp says:

These two have gotten more wrong than right.

Eh.
Especially recently. So we'l see what happens. I think we should just wait to till the NX is revealed then go from there in terms of rumors and more.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

A fully realized version of Quest 64(using the Japanese version as the base). You never said a realistic want. :p

A new 3D Mario or an improved version of Smash 4 that has everything from both versions and more.

Burruni

Smash Hero

And,

Kirby Return to Dreamland Sequel with Quad-Op.

3D Mario. Looking at past systems, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and 3D World stand as top 5 selling games in all of the 3D systems so far. [IIRC]

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Nintendo's earnings call is on the 27th right? Maybe we'll get some news there. Anything concerning NX would be good at this point. The hype is dying off faster and faster and it hasn't even been shown yet. They gotta do something.
They really should. At least drop a reveal date because this console is way overdue for it's reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom