• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

In Kozaki's defense, the most commonly criticized design elements from Awakening/Fates in my experience were the outfits/armor design((hings like Female Great Knights having visible panties IIRC and F!Corrin's thigh holes), and he apparently was not responsible for a lot of that.
Yeah, I'd say so. Especially when it comes to the armor designs more specifically.

The general class is always the first example I can think of, and I hope the designs never make a retun for the class a whole. They were only passable in awakening and fates because the characters in the knight/general class were likably silly.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just out of curiosity, what is it that you dislike about Yusuke Kozaki? I remember you mentioning that you weren't a fan of him back when I started that Fire Emblem Awakening discussion in late August, but I forget to ask you at the time.

I know his character designs are the most common complaint about him (and I can see that when you have characters like Effie and Sophie and their fan-service designs), but I don't usually see complaints about his art online.
Official art and stuff on his Twitter account account I mostly like, but beyond his controversial designs, in-game I think his art style comes off stiff and bland. He's been in-charge of the art style for the series for the past 5 years, longer than any previous artist, and for games that made me lose faith no less.

I don't blame him for everything nor do I think him not working on FE15 suddenly makes it a better product (heck I already feel like I'm overrating Gaiden for the people here who haven't played it), but I do want to see the series advance into a new era so that FE13/14 can stop being as alienating as they are for me and much of the community.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Reggie has stated The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be the Wii U's final first party game.

I doubt that'll surprise many.

D

Deleted member

Reggie has stated The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be the Wii U's final first party game.

What he says: "The NSwitch won't replace the Wii U or the 3DS and will instead act as a third pillar."

What he means: "Capitalism is an economic system based on private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit. Characteristics central to capitalism include private property, capital accumulation, wage labor, voluntary exchange, a price system, and competitive markets. In a capitalist market economy, decision-making and investment is determined by the owners of the factors of production in financial and capital markets, and prices and the distribution of goods are mainly determined by competition in the market."

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

Yeah not really surprising here. No need for them to waste any more resources on a failed console.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
But I don't have to worry about that because she'll most likely be playable in Smash 5, being the face of a modern and successful first-party Nintendo IP and all. :secretkpop:
So you're saying that she is in fact.... a Shoe-in?:troll:

It's mostly the art style and the general feel they create.

Before FE was a more serious series and part of that was due to its artsylte. Now it's more mainstream and that has some good and bad implications.

Granted I think both styles are fine, but many prefer one or the other.
There were some fan-service in the earlier games (Sonia from FE7 comes to mind), it just wasn't nearly as prominent as Awakening and Fates.

D

Deleted member

So you're saying that she is in fact.... a Shoe-in?:troll:

There were some fan-service in the earlier games (Sonia from FE7 comes to mind), it just wasn't nearly as prominent as Awakening and Fates.
The only way to see anything fan-servicey in Sonia is by looking at her official art which isn't even in the game
Her portrait doesn't show anything(and I honestly find her ugly) and her sprites are the same as any other female Sage
Things like no butt-armor are ingame and really bother you

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The only way to see anything fan-servicey in Sonia is by looking at her official art which isn't even in the game
Her portrait doesn't show anything(and I honestly find her ugly) and her sprites are the same as any other female Sage
Things like no butt-armor are ingame and really bother you
To be fair, most of the "scandalous' girls of past were one-off female villains, and sexy evil women isn't exactly new.
Good points you guys make.

Chrono.

So I had no internet for the last couple of days and I didn't feel like getting on here from mobile.

So, FE Direct thoughts:
- Can't say I saw a Gaiden remake coming, and seeing as how the FE1 and 3 remakes are treated as FE11/12 I guess this really is FE15, and we're getting it in just a couple months? Holy crap.
- As for the game itself, I'm actually excited for it? All the changes they showed intrigue me very much and Hidari's art is a major plus.
- Speaking of Hidari, I hope they stick. I'm not a fan of Kozaki's art that only seems to get worse and worse.
- FE16 already confirmed! And it's a Switch title, which I think is a great move. Especially now that Fire Emblem is booming.
- FE Musou again, same as before just with more Chromfidence. It looks like Musou, so, fun.
- Ballsy move on them making a N3DS exclusive port, the Switch is gonna look and run better, but this'll be good for those who don't feel like making the jump just yet.
- And then we go to the star of the Direct, FE Heroes aka the mobile game aka gatcha hell.
- Not much to say, I loved Lowenthal's performance through the whole direct, I found him pretty funny at times.
- As for Heroes, I like the new art I've seen so far and I can't complain about new Roy art either. I'll probs give it a shot then never play it again.

Overall I thought it was a solid Direct. Really looking forward to Echoes (might be day 1 for me), FE Musou will also be a title I'm looking forward to and Heroes could be a neat time waster.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Out of anticipation for Echoes, I decided to play Shadow Dragon again!

I remember why I said never to replay Shadow Dragon
Shadow Dragon is great man, watchu talking bout

it's the pure core of FE without and of the fluff or bloat.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
If you're buying Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Switch, do note that there will be a $10 difference depending if you're getting it digitally ($30) or retail ($40).

Even if there wasn't a price difference, I'm still getting this game digitally!

Chrono.

If you're buying Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Switch, do note that there will be a $10 difference depending if you're getting it digitally ($30) or retail ($40).

I'll buy it anyway, not sure which though, but I'll buy it.

Character Puzzle games need to make a come back.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

Yeah, Puyo Puyo definitely seems like it'd be a game you'd get digitally considering it's a form of tetris.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hmmm...

I have four Fire Emblem games I have not played/beaten.

1. Fire Emblem
  2. Shadow Dragon
  3. Radiant Dawn
  4. Fates: Conquest

As of now, I have beaten...
  1. Path of Radiance
  2. Sacred Stones
  3. Awakening
I really should play another one soon.

Hm...

Dunno which one should go on the list next though.

For consoles, I gotta beat Xenoblade X and Zack and Wiki. For handhelds I have to beat Etrian Odyssey.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I'M SORRY BUT I DON'T LIKE GETTING AMAZING GROWTHS ONLY TO LOSE A CHARACTER I CARE ABOUT LIKE OGMA OR SHEEDA, ONLY FOR ALL MY CHARACTERS TO GET AWFUL GROWTHS WHEN I RESET
That's what you get for playing a NES game that was pretending to be a DS game.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Fire Emblem? Okay

I'm currently replaying Awakening and playing through Radiant Dawn for the first time.

I've already beaten Path of Radiance, Awakening, and all 3 routes of Fates.

And I have FE7 and played a bit of it, but I want to restart next time since it's been a really long time since I've played it. And I haven't ever played any of the other ones. I still have a lot to catch up to.

D

Deleted member

I...actually liked Shadow Dragon, though I haven't played it in years, so my opinion might be different if I played it now.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm currently playing FE3 for the third time(I think). I thought it would be interesting to do a run where I only used characters with green hair. Gives me no thieves, and the only healer is Merric after he promotes. Certainly a challenge, but it's interesting using units I might not otherwise normally use.

I've played everything in the series except FE1 and Conquest/Revelation. Still have yet to beat Radiant Dawn and Birthright.
I'M SORRY BUT I DON'T LIKE GETTING AMAZING GROWTHS ONLY TO LOSE A CHARACTER I CARE ABOUT LIKE OGMA OR SHEEDA, ONLY FOR ALL MY CHARACTERS TO GET AWFUL GROWTHS WHEN I RESET
Dunno how that's really a knock against SD, since that's standard for most of the series. Only exceptions are fixed mode FE9 and Fates.

SD is actually one of the better ones about resetting after deaths due to having save points. Which are really something IS should bring back outside of casual mode.

Chrono.

I've only played Awakening and a bit of Sacred Stones.

Didn't get into the latter too much and I thought the former was addicting to an extent.

D

Deleted member

I just realised something that would make FE Heroes a complete failure:
Requiring an internet conection to play it
Hmmm...

I have four Fire Emblem games I have not played/beaten.

1. Fire Emblem
  2. Shadow Dragon
  3. Radiant Dawn
  4. Fates: Conquest

As of now, I have beaten...
  1. Path of Radiance
  2. Sacred Stones
  3. Awakening
I really should play another one soon.

Hm...

Dunno which one should go on the list next though.

For consoles, I gotta beat Xenoblade X and Zack and Wiki. For handhelds I have to beat Etrian Odyssey.
Play FE7 next
It's the easiest of those 4(not that it's easy, but Conquest and RD are way harder in comparison and SD is... well, a NES game) and probably has the best story of all FE games.
Also, you need to learn the greatness of Hector

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
I've played pretty much every English release of Fire Emblem. Beaten and enjoyed every single one of them with the exception of Shadow Dragon. Something about that one does not really do it for me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm currently playing FE3 for the third time(I think). I thought it would be interesting to do a run where I only used characters with green hair. Gives me no thieves, and the only healer is Merric after he promotes. Certainly a challenge, but it's interesting using units I might not otherwise normally use.

I've played everything in the series except FE1 and Conquest/Revelation. Still have yet to beat Radiant Dawn and Birthright.

Dunno how that's really a knock against SD, since that's standard for most of the series. Only exceptions are fixed mode FE9 and Fates.

SD is actually one of the better ones about resetting after deaths due to having save points. Which are really something IS should bring back outside of casual mode.
Here's the thing, SD doesn't have supports, meaning no potential stat boosts
It ALSO loves reinforcements and won't let you do side quests if you have more than 14 characters or something
Wait...I just remembered something
Alm has horrible growths in Gaiden
They're the best growths in the game.
Though then again, you can grind and hold rings, so Echoes might try to make it traditional too. Hoping Echoes is a subseries specifically for remakes tbh

Burruni

Smash Hero
I just realised something that would make FE Heroes a complete failure:
Requiring an internet conection to play it

Play FE7 next
It's the easiest of those 4(not that it's easy, but Conquest and RD are way harder in comparison and SD is... well, a NES game) and probably has the best story of all FE games.
Also, you need to learn the greatness of Hector
Considering things like FFRK or F/GO don't require it, I doubt it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Looks like you can change things about the UI.

Also, there are indeed alternate accounts.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I...actually liked Shadow Dragon, though I haven't played it in years, so my opinion might be different if I played it now.
Shadow Dragon is fine if you go in knowing what it is and not expecting anything more. The gameplay lacks the bells and whistles of more "modern" entries in the series, but there's a certain enjoyability to that. As I said before, it's Fire Emblem without any fluff.

Lots of people hate the lack of support conversations, but I don't mind that. I don't really need ever character to have millions of lines of dialogue, personally. And what writing that is there is stellar.

The biggest misstep with the game for me is the Gaiden chapters needing you to kill your own units to unlock them. It's really dumb, especially since some of the best writing in the game is hidden in those chapters. But I think the game is still perfectly enjoyable even if you don't visit those chapters.
Yes it does, just not conversations.

Edit: Though admittedly, the game doesn't indicate these bonuses exist. You have to either know about them via a guide or trial and error to figure out who supports with who.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Hey so what are the odds that I'll like Conquest after not really enjoying Birthright due to me getting really bored and finding it super easy?

Also, same question for Revelations.

Maybe I'll go back to Birthright one day with harder difficulty... I just found the characters so bland.

D

Deleted member

You reminded me of fixed level ups
I loved those in Conquest Lunatic because when I got a good level up, I knew I wouldn't lose it to a 6% crit but if I got a bad one, I just had to deal with it
Wish they brought that back on lower difficulties
Considering things like FFRK or F/GO don't require it, I doubt it.
Reminder that Mario Run requires it and so does Pokemon Shuffle despite the 3DS version not requiring it
Radiant Dawn after Part 1 actually isn't that hard. Either that, or I got so used to Part 1's brutalness that I ended up getting good. :chuckle:
I never played it, it's just what I hear people say about it
It ALSO loves reinforcements and won't let you do side quests if you have more than 14 characters or something

Wait...I just remembered something
Alm has horrible growths in Gaiden
They're the best growths in the game.
Though then again, you can grind and hold rings, so Echoes might try to make it traditional too. Hoping Echoes is a subseries specifically for remakes tbh
Older games had terrible character growths but they were balanced around how the game porgressed, look at FE4 for example.
Except FE6, just compare them to FE7 and FE8
Hey so what are the odds that I'll like Conquest after not really enjoying Birthright due to me getting really bored and finding it super easy?

Maybe I'll go back to Birthright one day with harder difficulty... I just found the characters so bland.
A lot because Conquest is one of the hardest FE games
EDIT: lol Revelations, it's harder than BR but for the wrong reasons.
Also, every map has a gimmick and it's not something simple like most good maps have
not really. It's a phone game, most people have data
We already had that discussion with Mario Run: it requires a lot of data and not everyone has a good service or the money to pay for something that shouldn't even be required

Last edited by a moderator:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
If nothing else, I can safely say that Shadow Dragon had some nice music that probably carried over from the original that I actually like better than a lot of songs in Awakening and Fates. And there's also the arenas, which offer nice grinding grounds that Awakening and Fates don't really offer. There's probably other Fire Emblems with different music direction and arenas as well, but having tried only the three so far it has those over the other two.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Conquest has more likeable characters and is hard as **** in comparison

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

I've never played it, but I've heard a lot of other hardcore FE fans really like Conquest...when it comes to gameplay. The story is apparently one of the worst in the series.

Revelation is apparently something of a "worst of both worlds" between Birthright and Conquest. It has neither and especially good story, and the gameplay is apparently nothing special. The thing I've heard the most is that it had very gimmicky levels.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If your issue was that it was too easy, Conquest is apparently much harder.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If nothing else, I can safely say that Shadow Dragon had some nice music that probably carried over from the original that I actually like better than a lot of songs in Awakening and Fates. And there's also the arenas, which offer nice grinding grounds that Awakening and Fates don't really offer. There's probably other Fire Emblems with different music direction and arenas as well, but having tried only the three so far it has those over the other two.
The best thing about Shadow Dragon is the damn Medeus remix, that is a ****ing bad ass final boss theme

D

Deleted member

Like, real talk about Revelation gimmicks, when I thonk of gimmicks in FE maps I think about stuff like "multiple paths", "get the chest before those Thiefs", "not rout or defeat boss objective", "bring out your strongest units because you'll need them aka Cog of Destiny" or "boss rush ala FE7 endgame map 1"
I don't think of "everything is snow dig it", "wait 5 turns to do anything", "fog of war but not really", "wind", "small and slow elevators", "what are even these colors" or a ****ing stealth chapter but **** you(you know the one)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think of "everything is snow dig it", "wait 5 turns to do anything", "fog of war but not really", "wind", "small and slow elevators", "what are even these colors" or a ****ing stealth chapter but **** you(you know the one)
Those actually sound kind of fun.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

well you cant lvl grind on Conquest as much and you cant get money so thats how difficult that is. I liked Conquest as well. I liked it more after seeing people call birthright birthroute

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom