• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
An app service is nice. The issue is that there's nothing on the console itself to also handle these tasks. Meaning if you don't have a Smart device, or your smart device isn't supported (because as far as I know, there's no Windows app) you're basically screwed. That's not convenient, that's restrictive.
I really do think that there will be stuff on the console.

It's just...

We should really know for sure by now.

D

Deleted member

I was worried this would mean I wouldn't be able to play online for a second, but the article also specified that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is coming out two months before the app and Nintendo's online says it launches in March, so at least it's most likely not as bad as it could be.

Not that the comments aren't sticking with my initial terrified misconception. . .

Anyway, the official site says this:

The "invite friends to play online" could either mean managing your friend list, which would be pretty bad, or sending mobile messages to your friends asking them to play online, which would be fine. The play appointment thing is pretty harmless.

Anything that isn't on the official website probably isn't restricted. Probably.

Considering the HOME Menu has already been shown with no Friends List icon in sight, the idea of having to use the application to manage it could very well end up being true. I think everything they've shown last week is final.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Oh, I didn't know that was confirmed
I really do think that there will be stuff on the console.

It's just...

We should really know for sure by now.
We're not 100% entirely certain, but with the way they're talking, it definitely seems like they're not developing anything for the console itself

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Considering the HOME Menu has already been shown with no Friends List icon in sight, the idea of having to use the application to manage it could very well end up being true. I think everything they've shown last week is final.
It's listed as free and the app is listed under the paid services on Nintendo's chart of what is free or paid, though.

I'm not sure where exactly they'd slip it on the menu, but if it was part of the cost of the app you'd think they would list the Friend List under it instead of insisting it's free.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614

You know this really concerning when even the Wii U had an obvious icon for a friends list. Hopefully there's more to it, but there's plenty of room for concern.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What's that red icon for?

Could friend management be some kind of sub menu?

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Haaaang on.

I can't find it, but I remember there being a Mii circle image next to that Mario circle image when the screen was shown at one point. Considering what Nintendo Network uses to represent itself, the Friend List management may not be stored in the button section where we'd think it would be. At the very least, I'm pretty sure there's icons that aren't on here that were on other units.

The best possibility I can offer was that the icon shows up when the system's online (as in, basic Nintendo Network account linking and enough to use the Eshop, not paid online) is set up and the particular unit hadn't been given an account yet.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't play online much at all. Mostly single-player experiences or local multiplayer for me. So I probably won't even be using this app.

That said, it really doesn't make sense to me. Smart devices already provide tools and apps for group-chats and endless forms of communication (for free), and involving a second device not only overly complicates things, but reflects poorly on the Switch. I don't understand why these features can't be on the console itself. It's 2017, not only should that be the standard, but it's not even an overly difficult thing to accomplish in this day and age.

Also I really wanted an achievement/trophy system, those are addictive and incentivize completing games and dabbling in ones otherwise ignored. I didn't expect Nintendo to actually implement one, at least not system-wide, but I really feel they're missing out on some great benefits just for the sake of, again, being Nintendo.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That red thing strikes me as a message function.

Either from Nintendo or someone else.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614

In comparison, the friends list in up in front on the Wii U's main menu. Hell, I can't even find a way to change system settings on the Switch based on the current images so far.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I don't play online much at all. Mostly single-player experiences or local multiplayer for me. So I probably won't even be using this app.

That said, it really doesn't make sense to me. Smart devices already provide tools and apps for group-chats and endless forms of communication (for free), and involving a second device not only overly complicates things, but reflects poorly on the Switch. I don't understand why these features can't be on the console itself. It's 2017, not only should that be the standard, but it's not even an overly difficult thing to accomplish in this day and age.

Also I really wanted an achievement/trophy system, those are addictive and incentivize completing games and dabbling in ones otherwise ignored. I didn't expect Nintendo to actually implement one, at least not system-wide, but I really feel they're missing out on some great benefits just for the sake of, again, being Nintendo.
To be honest, the leakers brought up the possibility that it could be My Nintendo linked, and while the leakers are for the most part being ignored now it does remind me of an old interview where Nintendo said they would be offering rewards for playing games and the fact that Nintendo's mobile apps offer Platinum Coins in exchange for doing certain tasks.

It's possible that instead of trophies, they could hand out Platinum Coins as rewards for doing specific tasks. They'd have to get their site cleaned up a bit since four different types of coins is already a mess, but I get the feeling that was at least considered at one point.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
lmao, people whining about Fire Emblem getting so much stuff is stupid, we KNEW there was a Fire Emblem specific Direct a week ago, complaining about it after the direct makes you look stupid. "But I wanted MY favourite to have a new installment!" Fire Emblem went from 'the game that could have been the final nail in the coffin' to one of Nintendo's major IPs. Tell me when your favourite sells as much as Awakening, which was highly accessible, and Fates. I saw someone specifically mention Mother 3, but that's dumb. 1: The Mother franchise is finished, not dead, meaning there's nothing to continue, 2: Earthbound Beginnings got released, which fans never mention despite being the first game in the trilogy, 3: a VC release for Earthbound, meaning ANYONE could buy it if they wanted, especially as it's the first time the game came out in Europe and 4: Earthbound digital codes ran out when club Nintendo points could be traded for one. It's just a single thing that Nintendo is aware of the demand you want

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can't find it, but I remember there being a Mii circle image next to that Mario circle image when the screen was shown at one point. Considering what Nintendo Network uses to represent itself, the Friend List management may not be stored in the button section where we'd think it would be. At the very least, I'm pretty sure there's icons that aren't on here that were on other units.

The best possibility I can offer was that the icon shows up when the system's online is set up and the particular unit hadn't been given an account yet.
Can you please find it?

D

Deleted member

In comparison, the friends list in up in front on the Wii U's main menu. Hell, I can't even find a way to change system settings on the Switch based on the current images so far.

There you go. These are what the icons stand for.

Haaaang on.

The best possibility I can offer was that the icon shows up when the system's online (as in, basic Nintendo Network account linking and enough to use the Eshop, not paid online) is set up and the particular unit hadn't been given an account yet.
That may very well be the user account system. Each player using one system at home can quickly switch (no pun intended) to their account by tapping on their designated icon.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

That may very well be the user account system. Each player using one system at home can quickly switch (no pun intended) to their account by tapping on their designated icon.
Maybe it saves friends in the user account? LOL, IDK

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

It could be under Options, which says it's available by pressing the +/- sign.

Heck, the Friend List could be under Options for all we know. It's a bit of a stretch, but it depends on what all's in there.

Can you please find it?
Uh, I couldn't find it in an image search, let me check YouTube.

Uh. . .This one has it in the preview image and it flashes by at a couple points, there's Mario, Zelda, and a Mii. The Mii's wearing a pink shirt and on an orange background, though, so I'm not sure if it's for My Nintendo or not. It's definitely more icons than before and shows icon number can be variable, though.

Why would two people be using placeholders and only one actually be using their personal Mii, though?

I'm not saying it isn't, but if it was meant to show that off you'd think they'd all be consistent.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be honest, the leakers brought up the possibility that it could be My Nintendo linked, and while the leakers are for the most part being ignored now it does remind me of an old interview where Nintendo said they would be offering rewards for playing games and the fact that Nintendo's mobile apps offer Platinum Coins in exchange for doing certain tasks.

It's possible that instead of trophies, they could hand out Platinum Coins as rewards for doing specific tasks. They'd have to get their site cleaned up a bit since four different types of coins is already a mess, but I get the feeling that was at least considered at one point.
While I do suspect games like FE Heroes and other mobile ventures will probably offer My Nintendo rewards, and maybe even some future Switch titles, it's still quite the departure from the system the other two have implemented. This again is still more like Club Nintendo than not. Now mixing both together, where your cumulative "Gamerscore" equivalent could be translated into rewards, either physical or digital, now that'd be a really stellar idea.

And yet another I don't see Nintendo implementing. :(

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
While I do suspect games like FE Heroes and other mobile ventures will probably offer My Nintendo rewards, and maybe even some future Switch titles, it's still quite the departure from the system the other two have implemented. This again is still more like Club Nintendo than not. Now mixing both together, where your cumulative "Gamerscore" equivalent could be translated into rewards, either physical or digital, now that'd be a really stellar idea.

And yet another I don't see Nintendo implementing. :(
Nintendo added themes and badges to the 3DS pretty late into it's lifespan, so who knows what they'd do down the road. I mean, probably not but. . .

Actually, Miiverse and to a lesser extent themes and badges altered the UI too, so what you see at first isn't always what you get eventually.

D

Deleted member

Why would two people be using placeholders and only one actually be using their personal Mii, though?

I'm not saying it isn't, but if it was meant to show that off you'd think they'd all be consistent.
Perhaps Nintendo Accounts (or the system's user accounts) may be allowed to use custom profile pictures after the system launches. Or maybe it's just something Nintendo themselves can only make use of.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nintendo added themes and badges to the 3DS pretty late into it's lifespan, so who knows what they'd do down the road. I mean, probably not but. . .

Actually, Miiverse and to a lesser extent themes and badges altered the UI too, so what you see at first isn't always what you get eventually.
I mean, I don't even really care about the rewards. They're certainly a nice little bonus, especially if you live in Japan and get all the good stuff, I mostly would just like the platform-wide achievement/trophy system implemented.

Regardless, if it's not here at launch with the Switch, I don't foresee it coming at all on this system. Not that I expected it... but sometimes it's fun to dream...

And fwiw, despite the app nonsense, I do like what I've seen of the UI so far. Sleek, streamlined, seemingly easy to navigate. I don't often like to clutter it up with themes and I don't even know or care about the badges. I'm pretty sure I'm still rocking the default look on my 3ds, and I usually leave that stuff to my bf on the PS4...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If each thing is indeed a personalized account, then friends are probably in there.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I was checking the Golden State Warriors subreddit for some dank NBA memes and instead I found this flair.
ssbw.PNG

Im done.

At least the GSW logo is similar to the Smash symbol.

KatKit

Smash Lord
A guest star character from Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE would be a nice surprise for Fire Emblem Warriors, IMO.

I just want to mention that Snipperclips is probably the most underrated Switch game. Hands down.

I'm thinking I might pick up Echoes when it releases...a remake of an older game is a decent way to dive into what I've missed from the Fire Emblem series....and the trailer has caught my interest...

----

And speaking of Echoes, played a bit more of Prime 2 after a short hiatus...
Did a lot of stuff in Torvus...
Boost Guardian is down...If this were the Gamecube version I'd probably still be trying to kill it, but Trilogy version made it a lot more manageable...
Made my way down to the Submerged Temple after a bit of backtracking to acquire the Seeker Missiles...
Now, what happens when you take one of the best songs in Super Metroid and stick in the Primes?
This happens...

Such a serene yet mysterious melody...one of the best remixes in the Trilogy, right up there with Tallon Overworld 1 (Both are different versions of Brinstar originally)

Defeated the Alpha Blogg after acquiring the Gravity Suit Boost...Shortly coming up to one of my favourite mini-bosses in the game...
I always wanted the Torvus Bog Subterranean theme in Smash! I even mentioned it ages ago in a different thread. If you already haven't heard it, someone made a video that combines the old Brinstar depths theme from Super Metroid with the remixed version from Echoes. It's also pretty good.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
http://nintendotoday.com/switch-app-matchmaking/

Not sure this has been brought up yet, but apparently it's not just voice acting being locked behind the phone app, it's lobbies and matchmaking too. Hopefully there's just some misconceptions here but ugh.
This is the sort of thing I wish Nintendo was more clear about.

All we need to know is whether or not voice chat, lobbies and matchmaking (i.e everything you can do on the app) are locked behind this app or not.

I still have no idea what is going on anymore -_-

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
"It will mark the series first return, since 2008's Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn."
Did they forget Path of Radiance exists?
http://nintendotoday.com/switch-app-matchmaking/

Not sure this has been brought up yet, but apparently it's not just voice acting being locked behind the phone app, it's lobbies and matchmaking too. Hopefully there's just some misconceptions here but ugh.
You can never be simple can you Nintendo? It always has to be a ****ing monkey's paw with you.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Yeah but they're saying this will be FE's first game on the home console since Radiant Dawn. They're not saying Radiant Dawn was FE's first return to the home console.
Well I must've read that part wrong. Apologies.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Nintendo cares about the competitive community.

:drflip:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom