• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Is there a possibility for a new Smash Bros (5) for Nintendo Switch?
There definitely is, although not until at least a few years in, IMO. We're more likely to get the rumored Smash 4 port in the first year or two, but I could see a full new version toward the end of the Switch's life.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also, it looks like a tint of lavender to me, which is a shade of purple

Hair.jpg

3 of these are shades of lavender, and one is the shade of the hair. It looked similar enough to me. Maybe a slightly more pinkish lavender on second look

Edit:

Mono.png

It seems to be a shade of Magenta

WHICH BY THIS FORUMS STANDARDS IS PURPLE

CHECK AND MATE!!!

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I think Year 1 for the Switch for me is gonna be a nice genre spread if everything leaked or hinted that I'm at least considering is on there.

Assuming these will be around launch:

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Splatoon Switch
Terraria (hopefully updating past 1.2.4)

And then later on:

Smash Switch
Pokemon Stars
Sonic Project 2017 (if that ends up looking good, anyway, it's not a lock yet)

And I might consider the XCX port as well, but since I already own that and it wouldn't have any upgrades aside from being on a portable and not having to turn on my Wii U to play it I haven't made any decisions yet.

Up to seven games that early is kind of insane. 3DS and Wii U both only had about two games each I was even thinking about a year in, and even with my becoming less picky and having some favorites I didn't pick up until a year or more after they released I still don't think that would change in retrospect. And I was a bit lukewarm on those titles too, while BotW and Splatoon both already have me actively interested.

I mean, yeah it's ports, but with most of them being upgrades I should still have a pretty nice time with them. And that's just what's been leaked/hinted/announced, for all I know there might be something else I want down the road as well.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Why not a new installment?
There's a possible new installment (I have to admit I worded that badly and didn't know to best way to fix that).

If there is a new installment, we ain't gonna see one at the presentation or the system's launch window.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Why not a new installment?
It's kinda too early in the Switch's lifespan for that and Smash 4 has atleast 2 more years ride on before it can lose stream.

Or they can do it like Dead or Alive 5 Last Round where it's a platform and they just add on to it like every 6-8 months and have it be the ONLY Smash game for the Switch.

Chrono.

It's kinda too early in the Switch's lifespan for that and Smash 4 has atleast 2 more years ride on before it can lose stream.

Or they can do it like Dead or Alive 5 Last Round where it's a platform and they just add on to it like every 6-8 months and have it be the ONLY Smash game for the Switch.
I was more asking if @WarioBros meant no new installment in general or just no new installment for now.

Which he answered.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
So some other stuff I missed out on.

I watch Did you Know Gaming religiously though
A. Men.

That ****'s always interesting, even when I don't know anything about the series they cover.

You ever just accidentally blow out the crotch of pants?

Man that was funny... and surprisingly loud.
Only reference I can make is BOOSTO.

I don't want to know the truth.

TVTVTVTVSportsTVSportsSports
Yaaaaaay sportsball.

Go sportsball team play sportsball.

Get the thing to the place score the points go sportsball.

I cant believe the battery in my 3DS almost cracked the back just now

Thats what that small pop I heard from my 3DS today was. Lawd, Im never playing the 3DS while its charging ever again
No Obobo hold up. Hold. The ****. Up.

Do NOT play that thing right now.

Compromised batteries have this nasty tendency to burst into flame and take the device with it. I know this from experience.

Turn it off. Keep it off until you can get it repaired. Please.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm gonna rename my blobfish Pokemon to Blubadub. Yeah it's a three letter difference but I like it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The problem with Sound type is that there all of the Sound-based moves are normals with two exceptions I can think of(Sparkling Aria and Disarming Voice) so you'd be taking out a bunch of STABs from Pokemon who don't have better options(becahse Hyper Voice is the only reliable special normal move) and screwing the ones that wouldn't be retyped because the category "Sound" would be pointless(and thus making stuff like SA not go through Subs and hitting Soundproof Pokemon).

Also, there isn't really a balance needed to justify adding another type because that's the only reason types were ever added after Gen 1 but that's a story for another day. The only types that really need a nerf are Ghost and Dragon, because of only one thing resisting them outside of immunities, and Fairy, because it's probably the best typing for spammable STAB and defensive matchups combined.
Seriously, the Fighting/Ghost coverage is ridiculous and now we have a freaking legendary with those STABs! You can also do Ghost/Fairy and the only thing that can resist that is Pyroar. PYROAR!.
As a type, ghost has always been better than Dragon since gen 4.(AKA the gen normal stopped being dominate, hell, normal was gen 1-3s dragon type for sure in competitive filling out the exact same roll only being stopped by the exact same type of pokemon.) It's just that unlike Dragon, which has always been full of powerful pokemon when fully evolved(I'm going to get to that in a second), most of its pokemon are medicore, with a few exceptions.(Like gengar who's the only pokemon to remain in OU since gen 1.)

Which brings me to my point that Dragon wasn't really that broken of a type, it's so happens that it's given to pokemon with great BSTs and spread along with amazing movepools. Psuedo-legendaries in general are amazingly powerful, and most happen to be dragon. For instance, if you gave Tyranitar's typing to a weaker pokemon it'd be no doubt terrible, but Tyranitar has the exact stats and movepool it needs. The same goes for pretty much every dragon type, with their strength and movepools not even fairy really even stops them except for the weaker ones. If anything Fairy is more so of a threat to Fighting/Dark types, but those tend to be a lot weaker and have much less coverage than Dragon types. Especially fighting types, I feel like fairy nerfing them was unnecessary especially since it just nerfs flying and psychics in one of their roles which was countering fighting types. Dark is fine though.

It feels like gamefreak didn't really take the time to think the balancing through and rather they just listened to complaints word for word. As a result Fairy so far is the closest thing to gen 1 psychic, luckily most fairies are really weak but that's also what I hate most about it. In game you'll see a lot more fairies than you will see dragons. Dragons are suppose to be rare and hard to level up and evolve. Fairies on the other hand are really annoying up until the end of the game because until then you're probably not going to have a completed moveset to even counter them, it doesn't help that so many steel/poison types are so weak, so you're not going to be hitting them super effectively most of the time. Unless you want to use a poison/steel coverage move which are really just only for fairies because otherwise they're outclassed offensive types, period.

Steel doesn't even need an offensive buff the same way Fire doesn't need a defensive buff. Steel's role is to be defensive. Which is why it should've kept ghost resistance, then you wouldn't have to worry about that coverage you're talking about. Meanwhile you have types that are bad both ways(unless paired up correctly) such as bug(which I can't get over why they even made Fairy resist it) and poison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
No Obobo hold up. Hold. The ****. Up.

Do NOT play that thing right now.

Compromised batteries have this nasty tendency to burst into flame and take the device with it. I know this from experience.

Turn it off. Keep it off until you can get it repaired. Please.
Oh dont worry,the back is off, the 3DS is off and Im not playing it till my new battery comes in.

I didnt think it was That bad
but now I know. I hope everyone that plays the 3DS while its charging knows that can happen at anytime

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Aw, did I miss the GameTheory/MattPat hate?

I have the perfect gif for it too!

tmp_6962-giphy(3)-1751279765.gif

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I called a girl cute today after she was being sarcastic with me and she winked.

That feeling when you didn't mean to flirt buy it was taken that way anyways, and they flirt back.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
It seems to be a shade of Magenta

WHICH BY THIS FORUMS STANDARDS IS PURPLE

CHECK AND MATE!!!
upload_2017-1-6_18-22-58.png

Google Definition said:
pur·ple
ˈpərpəl/
noun
noun: purple; plural noun: purples
  1. 1.
    a color intermediate between red and blue.
    "the painting was mostly in shades of blue and purple"
Wikipedia said:
Magenta (/məˈdʒɛntə/) is variously defined as a purplish-red, reddish-purple, or a mauvish–crimson color. On computer screens, it is made by mixing equal amounts of blue and red. On color wheels of the RGB (additive) and CMY (subtractive) color models, it is located midway between red and blue.

King me.

Oh dont worry,the back is off, the 3DS is off and Im not playing it till my new battery comes in.

but now I know. I hope everyone that plays the 3DS while its charging knows that can happen at anytime
Phew.

Yes, it's quite that bad if it's already overheated to the point of expansion. Heat is the enemy of all electronics, but none hate it quite so much as the humble Li-ion battery.

Definitely the right way to go about it though.

That said, I've never had a problem with playing it while charging before myself. It's absolutely a risk and concern, but I still wonder if there weren't other factors. Maybe something in the socket, or the transformer in the brick?

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

I've been playing the 3DS while charging almost constantly for years. I guess I've been pretty lucky.

Hilariously, the main problem with it right now is that the sound slider has started trying to turn the sound back on sometimes when I try to turn the sound off as of me playing Sun and Moon. Well, that and the fact that every conceivable part of it is somewhat scratched up or worn off slightly.

Since mine's hanging in there and the Switch is in a couple months, I figure it can probably last me. Mine's an original model (if obtained over a year after launch), and it's been surprisingly good to me.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I called a girl cute today after she was being sarcastic with me and she winked.

That feeling when you didn't mean to flirt buy it was taken that way anyways, and they flirt back.
That's like 90% of my interactions with women.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
So with the "Age Sensitive Content" that's supposed to show up during the Switch Presentation... what are your predictions on that?

Could it just be Skyrim or other ports of games that we know are coming? Or are you expecting to see brand new games that have higher age ratings showing up in the presentation, like possibly Bayonetta 3 or possibly some of that new content from Atlus that is being teased for this year?

Burruni

Smash Hero
So.
Been working a lil on a region of a Pokemon game in my spare time.
Gonna post bits and pieces, feel like some might enjoy the ideas.
So, the regional bug idea.... (as always, spoilering major text so i don't take up a ton of space).
Sqworm: A white silk worm creature with black markings near its eyes to mimic the look of glasses. Mono-Bug.
Hidecoon: A very apple-looking coccoon with the worm occasionally poking out of a hole to attack and for things like refresh.
And from here, it's a day/night split evo.
Locustudious: Pristine white grasshopper creature with purple eyes, an enlarged, brain-like head, stands on its lower four legs (akin to a mantis's stance), and stands in a dignified, uppity-pose and a large book on its back which opens up as its wings. Generally going for the look of, say, a college professor. Bug/Psychic. Basically goes fairly tanky, learns instruct at a high level, specially oriented.
Incicadious: A black cicada with large red eyes, hood-like bit of carapace over its head, similarly standing on four legs but hunched over, rubbing its hands together. General appearance looking more like the "back alley dealer." Bug/Dark, special attacker with a decent pool of debilitating moves.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So with the "Age Sensitive Content" that's supposed to show up during the Switch Presentation... what are your predictions on that?

Could it just be Skyrim or other ports of games that we know are coming? Or are you expecting to see brand new games that have higher age ratings showing up in the presentation, like possibly Bayonetta 3 or possibly some of that new content from Atlus that is being teased for this year?
I'm predicting further Bethesda involvement, such as Fallout 4 or Doom.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
That said, I've never had a problem with playing it while charging before myself. It's absolutely a risk and concern, but I still wonder if there weren't other factors. Maybe something in the socket, or the transformer in the brick?
the Sockets are 100% ok and everything.

I played the 3DS while it charged a lot and by a lot I mean a lot. I never let the 3DS die before charging it all the say
Age Sensitive Content? Oh ****, now I gotta watch this

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What was wrong with them?
Spyro 3 review felt like he was trying really hard to criticise the game for things that aren't even flaws. Basically a "the grass is green, and I don't like green grass" mentality. One point that stuck out to me was that he heavily criticised the game for not having any Metroidvania style progression system where Spyro requires gaining new abilities to access new areas in old levels, saying that this causes the game to be "repetitive". This is a bizarre criticism for a Spyro game because Spyro was never about this in the PS1 trilogy. Spyro 2 had three abilities you could get over the course of the game but they didn't really cause you to have to backtrack much at all, and were mostly used as roadblocks to encourage you to collect more gems with abilities you already have. That was actually something people criticised the game for. Spyro 3 answered that by having a couple of other playable characters that Spyro could meet along his adventure, that were required for certain optional objectives in earlier levels, as they had completely different abilities to him. This prevented the game from having "roadblocks" to get through to later levels (aside from actually having to beat levels), but still gave it that sense of progression and a reason to go back to earlier levels. Furthermore, you can get secret upgrades for Sparx by beating the Sparx levels (Spyro's dragonfly companion that serves as his health meter), which Jirard did not talk about, despite the fact he SHOULD have them, because you know..."The Completionist". These upgrades are not mandatory and are not required to access any content in the game, but they are still helpful abilities that shake up the gameplay and help you out, like an extra hit point or a treasure radar, and again, give you that "sense of progression" he acts like the game doesn't have.

He also harshly criticises the game for "not being different enough from Spyro 2". Even though just by watching his review, it should be obvious as to what was new in Spyro 3 compared to Spyro 2. While the graphics and art style are the same as Spyro 2, with returning characters using the same models, there's tons of new characters throughout the game, and you actually have 6 playable characters (you could only play as Spyro in the first 2 games), not to mention all of the other new gameplay mechanics Spyro will interact with across the game (such as the skateboarding). He even acknowledges that people would probably then bring up a comparison to Mario games, specifically Galaxy and Galaxy 2, and how they are similar, but simply brushes it off with essentially screaming "NO, THOSE GAMES ARE D-D-DIFFERENT ENOUGH". Even though Spyro 3 did way more for the Spyro formula than Galaxy 2 did for Galaxy...hell, Galaxy 2 is actively worse than Galaxy 1 in some ways, which would be known as regressing the formula by flat out removing things people actively praised about the first game. Spyro 3 even had a sense of continuity, developing characters from the second game and the relations they had.

The entire review just feels like he's really reaching for reasons to hate on the game, which is strange given how much he praised the previous two games, and how Spyro 3 explicitly builds on what was established in Spyro 2, with enough new elements to set it apart. It felt like he just had a bad day and felt like taking it out on the game through a bad review of it.

As for his review of The Last of Us, I couldn't watch it because the whole thing was just him going on about his obsession with Ellie's voice actress (I know it's likely only a joke, but it's just annoying and cringe-worthy), and trying to inject "humour" by talking in this weird, grating voice for no reason, even when he's just describing game mechanics. He was also just very vague throughout, even making claims like "the Last of Us pushes the envelope for video game narratives, but is just average compared to most movies". I strongly disagree with that, but that's not my issue, my issue is that he says that and just doesn't explain why he thinks that. He just makes a load of claims without giving any substance as to why.

Ever since Greg left, it feels like the show has been on a decline. At first, it felt like the humour was gone, but at least he still made good reviews. But now, he's trying SO hard to be funny and fill the script with jokes, he can't make anything more than a vague claim or an attempt to be controversial to make his review seem more intelligent.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I've been playing the 3DS while charging almost constantly for years. I guess I've been pretty lucky.

Hilariously, the main problem with it right now is that the sound slider has started trying to turn the sound back on sometimes when I try to turn the sound off as of me playing Sun and Moon. Well, that and the fact that every conceivable part of it is somewhat scratched up or worn off slightly.

Since mine's hanging in there and the Switch is in a couple months, I figure it can probably last me. Mine's an original model (if obtained over a year after launch), and it's been surprisingly good to me.
Well mine heats up when I played it while it was plugged in so there is one reason why no one should ever do that, that could happen

No but please, think about it. even if " Things seem good so far"

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Thanks to your sig I'm associating it with Tingle until further notice.

Certainly could scare children with him.

the Sockets are 100% ok and everything.

I played the 3DS while it charged a lot and by a lot I mean a lot. I never let the 3DS die before charging it all the say
Could just be the repeated wear and tear from that, then, mixed with maybe some poor luck.

Regardless, good thing it didn't progress.

Well mine heats up when I played it while it was plugged in so there is one reason why no one should ever do that, that could happen
Yeah, heat is a big, big no-no.

OEM charge cable by chance? I mean mine isn't either, but it's a good place to start investigating.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here are the current Switch games I am interested in. There is a slight chance this list may change, and add new software after the Presentation finishes. I may update this as a new post after January 12.

Assuming these are available during launch:

- Super Mario (temp.)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (I had thought about getting it on Wii U at first, but I changed my mind about it.)
- Splatoon (temp.)

Over the course of the year:

- Mario Kart (temp.)
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U for Nintendo Switch & Knuckles featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series (with Goku and Shrek being paid DLC) LIMITED ALL-IN-ONE EDITION™
- Project Sonic 2017 (if it's actually decent, because I'm very skeptical about that.)

I think that's it for now. Just Mario and Mario Kart, Zelda, Splatoon, and Smash Bros. And... erm... maybe Project Sonic 2017, if it's actually decent or good. I'm one of the very few in this thread who aren't that invested in third-party support, as I rely on first-party content for the most part.

The idea of a Mario game being available at launch once again already makes the system a compelling purchase for me. The last time this happened was when New Super Mario Bros. U launched alongside Wii U four years ago, but in my case, I didn't get mine until December 2014. By that time, Wii U had already gained titles I'd be interested in. I remember feeling burned out when I got the 3DS at launch, and I had to settle with Ridge Racer 3D since there weren't a lot of titles that interested me at the time. I don't think that was a bad game to pick from, anyways.

I'll probably not get the system during March... perhaps a bit later than that. Not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

To put it in another way, it was the same thing that happened to the Note 7. So yeah.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
To put it in another way, it was the same thing that happened to the Note 7. So yeah.
Wasn't that a design failure in the phone itself? Thats what my sis told me
Any Xbox One titles besides Halo, Skyrim and Doom and Overwatch you guys could suggest?
Dead Rising? My sister recently started playing Stardew Vally and Slime Rancher if they count

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

No but please, think about it. even if " Things seem good so far"
Yeah, mine usually plays at a low enough temperature so that's probably it.

The most I think it's gotten is very, very slightly warm upon actively thinking about what temperature it might be and feeling for it on purpose, I don't think I've ever actually casually noticed it heating up in my hands. All my consoles and non-Nintendo movable devices run noticeably hot but the only thing from the past decade that's run colder than the 3DS for me is my DS Lite.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
There definitely is, although not until at least a few years in, IMO. We're more likely to get the rumored Smash 4 port in the first year or two, but I could see a full new version toward the end of the Switch's life.
Wouldn't we then go into a trend of every new console having a port of the previous Smash game?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
If you mean the charger Im using, its the OG 3DS charger
Huh.

Welp, I'm out of ideas besides wear and tear due to the charge cycles. Maybe yank it off the cable every now and again when it's full, eh?

True dat.

Wasn't that a design failure in the phone itself? Thats what my sis told me
It was, but the design flaw cause what you saw.

The Note 7 had too little space between the battery and the other components of the device, which didn't leave enough room for heat to dissipate properly. Thus, the battery heated up dangerously during usage - and if we've learned anything tonight it's that to electronics heat is the enemy.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Yeah, mine usually plays at a low enough temperature so that's probably it.

The most I think it's gotten is very, very slightly warm upon actively thinking about what temperature it might be and feeling for it on purpose, I don't think I've ever actually casually noticed it heating up in my hands. All my consoles and non-Nintendo movable devices run noticeably hot but the only thing from the past decade that's run colder than the 3DS for me is my DS Lite.
Well the battery isnt even supposed to warm up at all. Thats a bad thing to happen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom