• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I haven't really fully decided on my top 10 pokemon since Moon is my first actual mainline pokemon game but, here are some of my favs through the years lol.
  • 1. Lucario (for now, anyway)
  • Salazzle
  • Mimikyu
  • Torracat
  • Type Null / Silvally
  • Ribombee
  • Jigglypuff
  • Greninja
  • Scyther
  • Piplup
  • Bulbasaur
  • Beedril
  • Rapidash
  • Wartortle
  • Oranguru
  • Wishiwashi
  • Vikavolt
  • Lycanroc (night)
  • Dodrio
  • Cube/Marowak (alola)
  • Decidueye
  • Mudsdale
  • Toxapex
  • Dhelmise
  • Kommo-o
....not even gonna include legendaries/ tapu's / ub's.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
ahh i see i cam right around the monthly "nintendo is doomed" forecast good stuff good stuff
do the thing where you talk about 3rd party support and how nintendo will totaly die if they dont have any
*smash cuts to the wii which had low end specs and almost no 3rd party support*
"But Wii was lightning in a bottle!"

It's probably better to bring up how the Gamecube had specs and failed instead. They'll start arguing other points, but at least they won't try to dismiss the situation as a fluke.

D

Deleted member

Still don't like how people have turned a innocent, child-friendly image of rainbow meaning happiness into something sexual.

b4 anyone says anything stupid im lgbt >.>
Who cares, rainbows are lame anyway. :p That and it's just a set of colors anyway. Not everything red, white, and blue is American, and not everything red and green is Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Here's a question for everyone:

What are your top 10 favorite Pokemon?

A pretty basic question, but I'm asking that because I'm sure everyone's top 10 favorite Pokemon list has changed now that Sun and Moon has been released for a month, so I'm curious to see where do some people factor in their favorite Alola Pokemon compared to their other favorites from past generations.

Here's mine, starting from my number one favorite and counting down:

1) Gallade
2) Greninja
3) Aegislash
4) Lurantis
5) Shaymin (Sky Forme)
6) Swampert
7) Meloetta
8) Lycanroc (Midday Form)
9) Primarina
10) Chandelure
1. Charizard
2.Tyranitar
3. Scizor
4.Kommo-o
5. Volcarona
6.Leafeon
7.Espeon
8.Alolan Ninetales
9.Incineroar
10.Giratina

I've only actually used about half of these In-Game or Online. need to fix that soon.

Here's a question for everyone:

What are your top 10 favorite Pokemon?

A pretty basic question, but I'm asking that because I'm sure everyone's top 10 favorite Pokemon list has changed now that Sun and Moon has been released for a month, so I'm curious to see where do some people factor in their favorite Alola Pokemon compared to their other favorites from past generations.

Here's mine, starting from my number one favorite and counting down:

1) Gallade
2) Greninja
3) Aegislash
4) Lurantis
5) Shaymin (Sky Forme)
6) Swampert
7) Meloetta
8) Lycanroc (Midday Form)
9) Primarina
10) Chandelure
This wasn't easy:
1) Gengar (tie)
1) Torterra (tie)
3) Crobat
4) Gyarados
5) Krookodile
6) Tyrantrum
7) Charizard
8) Chesnaught
9) Nidoking
10) Gliscor

Mostly in-game team members.

I haven't played Sun & Moon yet which means no Gen 7 Pokemon on list. Decidueye and Kommo-o might get on my list eventually.

If you could only use 3 types in Pokemon which would they be?

Dark, Poison and Bug for me.
Ghost, Poison and Ground.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Water, bug, and ...I dunno. Steel or Poison or something I guess. Maybe Electric so I could use Ampharos

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
"But Wii was lightning in a bottle!"

It's probably better to bring up how the Gamecube had specs and failed instead. They'll start arguing other points, but at least they won't try to dismiss the situation as a fluke.
To be fair, the actual reason why the GameCube failed is because they didn't even use DVD-R typed disc but used a really small proprietary disc tthat turned away a lot if developers.

GameCube way stronger than the PS2 but Nintendo decided to be super cheap.

You wanna know how I know the difference

In ports, you can tell when certain things had content. Since I'm a massive sports fan and back in the day where I had cousins who owned all three systems like me, I had Madden 06 which had cutscenes, content and highlights cut and remove from the GC version because limitations of the disc.

Same reason why there was never a special edition version of Resident Evil 4 and Viewtiful Joe that added in the extra additions of their PS2 counterparts and with actual good graphics which despite having extra content, those games looked like hot garbage

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Water, Psychic, and Fighting.

All three of them are my favorite Pokemon types.

D

Deleted member

I don't have the interview on me, but Nintendo specifically stated that they were going to unify their software output, including making a comment that could be interpreted as "We're going to start with one form factor for now and if we need more later we'll make more." People took it to mean two systems with the same architecture at the time, but with the Switch's concept. . .

The fact that Pokemon has been pretty much outright stated to have it's mainline games on the Switch at some point is pretty telling, too.

The 3DS is definitely a backup plan they're running with seeing as they're insisting they'll still support it despite the obvious, but that's a different question than whether the Switch is at least intended to pick up both torches. I don't think they have any replacement in mind at the moment, though, just that they'll fall back on the current one.
You mean, something like the following quotes made by Iwata? Those are the only ones I could find. Before the Switch got announced as the NX in March 2015, and the Eurogamer rumor came in July, I had thought this would be the plan going forward for the 3DS and Wii U successors, which was "absorbing the Wii U architecture in some form, and sharing that same architecture and operating system across the home console and handheld." Of course, I'm now somewhat looking at them from another point of view in light of the Switch being a hybrid.

Iwata said:
As you might already know from some newspaper reports, we will reorganize our development divisions next month for the first time in nine years. Two divisions which have independently developed handheld devices and home consoles will be united to form the Integrated Research & Development Division, which will be headed by Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director.

Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.
Some time ago it was technologically impossible to have the same architecture for handheld devices and home consoles and what we did was therefore reasonable. Although it has not been long since we began to integrate the architecture and this will have no short-term result, we believe that it will provide a great benefit to our platform business in the long run. I am covering this topic as today is our Corporate Management Policy Briefing.

Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing
for the 73rd Fiscal Term Ending March 2013
Source:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/05.html
Iwata said:
Last year Nintendo reorganized its R&D divisions and integrated the handheld device and home console development teams into one division under Mr. Takeda. Previously, our handheld video game devices and home video game consoles had to be developed separately as the technological requirements of each system, whether it was battery-powered or connected to a power supply, differed greatly, leading to completely different architectures and, hence, divergent methods of software development. However, because of vast technological advances, it became possible to achieve a fair degree of architectural integration. We discussed this point, and we ultimately concluded that it was the right time to integrate the two teams.

For example, currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor. The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing
for the 74th Fiscal Term Ending March 2014
Source:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/index.html

If the Switch really turns out to be not so portable friendly as some of these rumours seem to insinuate (I guess that might explain why Nintendo seems to market the Switch as a new home console moreso and denying it being a successor for the 3DS as well) then I can see Nintendo working on a more handheld dedicated successor for the 3DS.

I wouldn't mind just seeing an HD follow up from the DS line. Nintendo might even use it to market more towards the mobile market. If the Switch turns out to not be having any touch capabilities then I guess the handheld line has at least that to set itself apart (As well as the dual screen and 3D if they keep that around) from the Switch.
According to these patents, the Switch does feature a capacitive touchscreen. It seems that they have moved on from using resistive touchscreens, which were featured on the DS, 3DS, and the GamePad.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
You mean, something like the following quotes made by Iwata? Those are the only ones I could find. Before the Switch got announced as the NX in March 2015, and the Eurogamer rumor came in July, I had thought this would be the plan going forward for the 3DS and Wii U successors, which was "absorbing the Wii U architecture in some form, and sharing that same architecture and operating system across the home console and handheld." Of course, I'm now somewhat looking at them from another point of view in light of the Switch being a hybrid.

According to these patents, the Switch does feature a capacitive touchscreen. It seems that they have moved on from using resistive touchscreens, which were featured on the DS, 3DS, and the GamePad.
Hm. . .those seem to indicate two systems, but I specifically remember a comment on the form factors that isn't in those that was a lot odder once the Switch started being rumored in full force. It must be hiding somewhere else.

The quote about getting rid of software droughts at launch seems to be exactly what they're trying to do, though, so that fits.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Now that the Killer Instinct hype train is back on track, I can't wait to see what's in store (especially the 2 currently unrevealed fighters). It's worth noting that, in the middle of Season 3, Iron Galaxy released a survey asking their fans what they wanted to see in Killer Instinct's future, including some character ideas:

NPC's in Killer Instinct Universe
- Eagle

Variants of Preexisting Fighters
- Aganos ENT (Broccoli Man!)
- Cinder Pre-Transformation
- Kelvin (Rushdown Glacius)
- Shadow Orchid
- Sharkman (TJ)

Original Ideas
- Djinn
- Lovecraftian
- Magic Archer

Guest Characters
- Crackdown Agent (Crackdown)
- Halo Brute (Halo)
- Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)

Eyedol was also on that list, but he was added as the "final" Season 3 character. And Kilgore wasn't in the survey list.

I'm so excited! :)

Also, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts *TECHNICALLY* promised a "Mighty Bottles" character and I still have my fingers crossed (but with low hopes).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Unless someone else wants to do it, I would like you to help me get an Electrivire and Golem by trading again Depressed Gengar Depressed Gengar .

Apologies in case I'm interrupting something important.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to raise the friendliest Golbat of all to get Crobat.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Unless someone else wants to do it, I would like you to help me get an Electrivire and Golem by trading again Depressed Gengar Depressed Gengar .

Apologies in case I'm interrupting something important.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to raise the friendliest Golbat of all to get Crobat.
I would, but I may or may not be available for much longer. I'll let you know if I can do that tonight or not.

:094:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I'm a bit saddened that Assassin's Creed is appearing to be a pretty bad film.

I don't care about the series, I just want one great video game movie.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
D

Deleted member

Didn't Angry Birds turn out okay?
Yeah. But when people say I usually think they mean a video game movie based off something with some kind of war. I mean, Angry Birds is a video game no denying that, but it's just a very basic one is all. Then again most video game movies tend to be based on overly simplistic games with not much plot now that I think about it. :p
(Such as Doom and Mario getting movies rather than Halo and Zelda, for instance.) I mean, obviously there's exceptions though, like this year's Warcraft and Assasin's Creed, but still.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Yeah. But when people say I usually think they mean a video game movie based off something with some kind of war. I mean, Angry Birds is a video game no denying that, but it's just a very basic one is all. Then again most video game movies tend to be based on overly simplistic games with not much plot now that I think about it. :p
(Such as Doom and Mario getting movies rather than Halo and Zelda, for instance.) I mean, obviously there's exceptions though, like this year's Warcraft and Assasin's Creed, but still.
I think Mario and potentially Angry Birds could have been great movies. Even if the latter still ended up decent.

There's an open canvas there, you just need to keep the spirit of the source material. Which Angry Birds did do, while Mario didn't.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I though Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva was pretty good, it was even canon to the games too.

There was probably a decent Pokemon movie or two as well I suppose...

Unless you don't count animated movies...

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Halo got a show though.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I did really enjoyed "Super Mario Bros: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach"

My only complaint was its crappy ending.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What do you mean "why they always have to be female"?

Inb4 the joke goes over peoples heads.
TL;DR

You can't come up with creative names for wild female Pokemon compared to male Pokemon. Just not that creative at female naming.

Take the names I have for example.

Elvira (Golbat), Ellie (Electabuzz), Garnet (Graveler), Spears (Fearow), Sallymander (Salazzle), Bouncee (Tsareena), Yolke (Exeggutor), Phyllis (Wingull), Paris (Parasect), Queen Derp (Slowbro), Gruta (Wishiwashi), Woody Sam (Toucannon), and Mimi (Mimikyu).

You see what I mean?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Wouldn't the correct term be "sexist"? Or perhaps the joke did fly over my head.
The joke is that Cinemasins always uses "racist" instead of "sexist."

And sometimes even Lampshades it. But still does it anyway.

The delivery is usually a lot funnier for it, especially since the tone of voice varies from usage to usage of the Running Gag.

D

Deleted member

I though Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva was pretty good, it was even canon to the games too.

There was probably a decent Pokemon movie or two as well I suppose...

Unless you don't count animated movies...
We're talking theatrical. Though live action was more so on my mind anyway, so I don't even know I even talked about the Angry Birds movie.

Halo got a show though.
Yeah, that's true, I just haven't seen it. That and I mostly have that Peter Jackson Halo movie that was so close to actually going through, and during a time it was more so popular too.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It definitely was a good movie. That being said, it's also one of those movies where you do need some knowledge to get the best enjoyment, but it's not bad even without alot of knowledge. But it's definitely a great movie for fans of the series.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wouldn't the correct term be "sexist"? Or perhaps the joke did fly over my head.
It went over your head. But never fear, I shall explain it.

CinemaSin would usually take off a sin for anything that resembles discrimination (even if it's sexism or specism) as a running gag. Thus "That's racist" was born. It's a satire channel pokes fun at any and every movie in history after all.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Pit's Fangirl

You can't come up with creative names for wild female Pokemon compared to male Pokemon. Just not that creative at female naming.

Take the names I have for example.

Elvira (Golbat), Ellie (Electabuzz), Garnet (Graveler), Spears (Fearow), Sallymander (Salazzle), Bouncee (Tsareena), Yolke (Exeggutor), Phyllis (Wingull), Paris (Parasect), Queen Derp (Slowbro), Gruta (Wishiwashi), Woody Sam (Toucannon), and Mimi (Mimikyu).

You see what I mean?

I don't know, some of those names are cute and creative. Like Spears is a very clever name for Fearow and Spearow. And great job on keeping the punny spirit alive with Yolke.

The only bad names I can see are Bouncee and Gruta. Like, what's the point of their names?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom