• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But what about the PS2? Isn't the console less powerful that the XBOX and the Gamecube?
As you said, the Wii selled like bread because it has a cool gimmick at the time, same as the DS, they tried again with the Wii U. Gimmick weren't the thing this time and the game weren't there, so, it fall down.
If the Switch can gain alot of help, or if Nintendo release their best games at the launch of the console, they will have more support this time, or at the very least, more game to help the console. (The Wii U had a weak launch and after that, very few games were here because the console was launched too early)
But now, I feel like that guy who is trying too hard to get in a debate with his argument, and honestly, I don't like that all. I just try to have a "positif" opinion on a new that make most people cynical. And I don't want to sound like a arrogant person, because really, nobody want to feel like that kind of guy.

Then again, I don't like debate in general, so I may have dig my own hole on this one...:4wiifitm:
So...can we talk about how The Lion King was a good movie?... :cheep:
IIRC the PS2 was more powerful than the X-Box. While the GameCube beat it in raw power, the mini discs made it harder for devs due to space limitations, so many games went PS2 exclusive if they didn't go multiplat.

That, and it doubled as a DVD player, which was a BIG selling point.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Everyone's losing their minds over what is a currently unconfirmed rumour....

People pls...
Gooby pls

I'm certainly looking forward to the live action movie.

Just wonder why Disney all of a sudden feels the need to readapt a lot of them for these coming years.
Because it's all about the money. Did you not see how successful the live action The Jungle Book was?

Disney recently hit a gold mine and they know that taking advantage of this would make them bigger bucks. A live action Mulan and Beauty and the Beast alone would get them a lot if they handle them with care. Just think business.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

People pls...
Unconfirmed as it may be, Eurogamer and Laura Kate Dale are backing it. Given their track record this is almost certainly legit.
The Wii may have been lightning in a bottle, but the Gamecube shows that the whole "If we have specs, then third parties will come and the console will sell gazillions!" narrative doesn't quite work in practice.

Nintendo is the "kiddy" company. Nintendo is the company that makes alternate data storage types, Nintendo is the company that had strict rules for games at one point in the distant past. Third parties do not "like" Nintendo. The fact that the Switch uses carts would raise enough eyebrows even if it were a powerhouse, and the fact that more third parties are even considering at all is probably because the system looks more "adult."

Which is exactly why they're fusing it into their market that has a similar history but still ranks head and shoulders above their console market every single generation, by a gap of dozens of millions no matter the generation.

Nintendo's trying to drive off the downward slope by making their most successful market part of their spotlight and following the Japanese industry where it's going: out of the house.

Specs never had anything to do with Nintendo's success however, as their sales continued to drop even as the power of their specs bobbed up and down between the average.
That's the thing...GameCube had the specs, but Nintendo screwed up with the actual hardware. The mini-DVDs led to huge space restrictions compared to the PS2, hampering some of the further third party support the console could have gotten.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

People pls...
I feel bad right now about this, I know it wasn't good to begin with.
Curse you whatever thingy who cause to me to get in this debate.:4charizard:
You have to understand why the PS2 did better than the Gamecube despite being less powerful.

Yeah, it was less powerful in a graphical sense, but it also used less restrictive hardware, opting to use DVDs that stored a lot more data than the proprietary Mini-discs of the Gamecube. PS1 succeeded for similar reasons, opting to use Discs over cartridges. Even if the overall hardware was weaker, those few aspects can make a huge difference.
IIRC the PS2 was more powerful than the X-Box. While the GameCube beat it in raw power, the mini discs made it harder for secs due to space limitations, so many games went PS2 exclusive if they didn't go multiplat.

That, and it doubled as a DVD player, which was a BIG selling point.
Actually, I did know about the Gamecube mini-discs that caused problem and the PS2 having the option of reading DVD. ('Didn't know about the PS2 beating the XBOX and the DVD player being a big selling point tough)

But, I failed to mention those point. So, my bad on this.:4gaw:
Imagine a live action Great Mouse Detective film.

That would be the ***s.
I want The Emperor's New Groove live-action style.
I would throw my money at this to Disney if they manage to do this.
But now, sleep time!
*go into a hole*

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I feel bad right now about this, I know it wasn't good to begin with.
Curse you whatever thingy who cause to me to get in this debate.:4charizard:

Actually, I did know about the Gamecube mini-discs that caused problem and the PS2 having the option of reading DVD. ('Didn't know about the PS2 beating the XBOX and the DVD player being a big selling point tough)

But, I failed to mention those point. So, my bad on this.:4gaw:

I want The Emperor's New Groove live-action style.
I would throw my money at this Disney if they manage to do this.
But now, sleep time!
*go into a hole*
Well they're very large factors to the success of the PS2. In fact, the success of consoles in general probably isn't solely due to the games on that console, but rather a multitude of other factors. Those factors then lead to more games, which then lead to more buyers, which then lead to even more games, it's a snowball effect. But this wouldn't have happened if the console manufacturers didn't invest time into making sure they used the best hardware they could. Everything has to work together. Powerful/Good hardware leads to developers being able to do more with their products which leads to more and better games.

I don't get why people care about the speed when undocked.
Because that's one more thing developers need to be wary of which could make the Switch even less attractive for third parties.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I have a solution.

Don't play it undocked.

Problem solved. :denzel:
I know it's a joke, but really, if playing undock leads to serious issues (which I doubt it will, I think people are blowing it out of proportion), what's the point of the whole gimmick?

Anyways, if it this is just an unconfirmed rumor, I don't think anyone should be expecting the Switch to play exactly the same undocked. There's most definitely going to be noticeable differences.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Unconfirmed as it may be, Eurogamer and Laura Kate Dale are backing it. Given they're track record this is almost certainly legit.

Thats the thing...GameCube had the specs, but Nintendo screwed up with the actual hardware. The mini-DVDs led to huge space restrictions compared to the PS2, hampering some of the further third party support the console could have gotten.
Then all things considered, the third party panic button should have been pushed back when it was leaked that the Switch carts would have lower baseline storage amounts than what many PS4 games currently take up. It's fate in terms of third parties was already sealed in that respect, so the specs wouldn't have made anything better.

The main reason why this isn't an automatic "Nintendoomed" is because I think people have a tendency to ignore half of Nintendo's library when discussing the Switch. Nintendo hasn't had all of their devs focus on the same system at the same time since the NES. While game development takes a lot longer nowadays, franchises like Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Kirby whose mainline games have largely crawled onto handhelds and stayed there will now be dumped into the stream alongside the likes of mainline Zelda and Splatoon. Games like Mario spinoffs, Animal Crossing, and Smash Bros no longer need to be developed twice to do the same thing, freeing up development time for other things. . .or more sequels on the same system.

Nintendo may not be able to carry the system by themselves, but no one else will do it for them so they're sure gonna try.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Meh. Everything on Jan 12 will probably be leaked before the event.

I'm almost certain that we're going to know 50% of the event beforehand.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Then all things considered, the third party panic button should have been pushed back when it was leaked that the Switch carts would have lower baseline storage amounts than what many PS4 games currently take up. It's fate in terms of third parties was already sealed in that respect, so the specs wouldn't have made anything better.

The main reason why this isn't an automatic "Nintendoomed" is because I think people have a tendency to ignore half of Nintendo's library when discussing the Switch. Nintendo hasn't had all of their devs focus on the same system at the same time since the NES. While game development takes a lot longer nowadays, franchises like Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Kirby whose mainline games have largely crawled onto handhelds and stayed there will now be dumped into the stream alongside the likes of mainline Zelda and Splatoon. Games like Mario spinoffs, Animal Crossing, and Smash Bros no longer need to be developed twice to do the same thing, freeing up development time for other things. . .or more sequels on the same system.

Nintendo may not be able to carry the system by themselves, but no one else will do it for them so they're sure gonna try.
The third party panic button has been pushed ever since the Nintendo 64.

Anyways, i don't think it using cartridges is the issue. If anything the real fear developers have is the non-traditional controller designs and it's main gimmick being portability
http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/152347209496/hello-dev-man-im-the-second-anon-from-your-last
http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/152339846394/stuff-happened-while-i-was-out-part-1-nintendo

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
So I tried to post a message, but my New 3DS said no.
So, have a good time here and good night.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yes! Exactly! My bad, hahaha, haaaaaa......
I'm feeling really down right now...
But yeah, I love this film, who doesn't?

It is like a project or something? Remaking all the Disney movie in live-action style perhaps?
I don't know to be honest.
Oh yeah I hard about that live-action lion king movie but I haven't heard about it since then. No idea if its still going on

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
How would a live action Lion King work? I could see lots of CG, but at that point is it still live action?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I know it's a joke, but really, if playing undock leads to serious issues (which I doubt it will, I think people are blowing it out of proportion), what's the point of the whole gimmick?
To be honest, its not a great gimmick to begin with. I mean, sure I can Skyrim wherever the hell I want. Great. But personally, I'm not carrying around a $200 piece of equipment of that size in public. Look at the 3DS- its small enough to fit into my pocket, so I needn't worry about dropping it or something. With the Switch, you're not fitting that in your pocket. You'd have to bring a bag or something to put it in case it rains or something. Seems a little extra tedious just to play it somewhere else. Not really nessasary.

But that's just me. I'm sure most would appreciate the mobility.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It was 5 days before Christmas and all through the news

Death and destruction in Europe with a terrorist attack in Germany and a Russian Ambassador assassinated in Turkey

Edit: I forgot normal families celebrate Christmas on the 25th, 6 days before

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
How would a live action Lion King work? I could see lots of CG, but at that point is it still live action?
Calling it live action would be "click-baity" enough to get them more sales. Just saying.

But you're right that it isn't live action without actual live actors (humans) running around the Pride Lands.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Oh yeah I hard about that live-action lion king movie but I haven't heard about it since then. No idea if its still going on
I mean they could always go the route of the Lion King musical.

While they will cg up the entire production like they did with the Jungle Book, I think this is a really neat interpretation of adapting the material. Granted this works for a live stage, and not necessarily a big movie.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
It was 5 days before Christmas and all through the news

Death and destruction in Europe with a terrorist attack in Germany and a Russian Ambassador assassinated in Turkey
Also a shooting at a muslim center in Switzerland.

Bombing the mid-east for all these years always was a terrible idea.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

While they will cg up the entire production like they did with the Jungle Book, I think this is a really neat interpretation of adapting the material. Granted this works for a live stage, and not necessarily a big movie.
It's by the same people that did the Jungle Book

They are going to have the same CG as the Jungle Book

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

the costumes in the play wer amazing but yeah, dunno how that wi work for a big movie

and if they have live actors, they are bound to **** it all up
It's by the same people that did the Jungle Book

They are going to have the same CG as the Jungle Book
Is that a good or bad thing? I never saw the Jungle Book

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I do have a question regarding that, one that's been resting on my head for a while now.

How do we know that the "unified library" thing is true? I know some people like Emily Rogers have mentioned such a thing, but for all we know, they are developing a 3DS successor to co-exist with the Switch, or in the event that it ends up not selling well as was the case with Wii U. Nintendo doesn't know if the Switch will become another DS / Wii-type of success. I'm not saying it will fail, as I'm sure it will sell a lot more than the Wii U, but you never know. I'm not necessarily dismissing the idea, but rather I'm more so skeptical about it.

However, the Switch's function as a portable system makes a 3DS successor redundant, further paving the way to an actual unified library. The problem is, how would they make a 3DS successor seem different from the Switch, as both are designed to be portable systems. I've been trying to picture a scenario for months but I really can't.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
the costumes in the play wer amazing but yeah, dunno how that wi work for a big movie

and if they have live actors, they are bound to **** it all up

Is that a good or bad thing? I never saw the Jungle Book
I actually never did either, but everyone says it's good

I just want to see "Be Prepared" in 3D. Even if they don't keep all the songs, they'd BETTER keep "Be Prepared"

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I do have a question regarding that, one that's been resting on my head for a while now.

How do we know that the "unified library" thing is true? I know some people like Emily Rogers have mentioned such a thing, but for all we know, they are developing a 3DS successor to co-exist with the Switch, or in the event that it ends up not selling well as was the case with Wii U. Nintendo doesn't know if the Switch will become another DS / Wii-type of success. I'm not saying it will fail, as I'm sure it will sell a lot more than the Wii U, but you never know. I'm not necessarily dismissing the idea, but rather I'm more skeptical about it.

Now, the problem is, how would they make a 3DS successor seem different from the Switch, as both are designed to be portable systems. I've been trying to picture a scenario for months but I really can't.
I don't have the interview on me, but Nintendo specifically stated that they were going to unify their software output, including making a comment that could be interpreted as "We're going to start with one form factor for now and if we need more later we'll make more." People took it to mean two systems with the same architecture at the time, but with the Switch's concept. . .

The fact that Pokemon has been pretty much outright stated to have it's mainline games on the Switch at some point is pretty telling, too.

The 3DS is definitely a backup plan they're running with seeing as they're insisting they'll still support it despite the obvious, but that's a different question than whether the Switch is at least intended to pick up both torches. I don't think they have any replacement in mind at the moment, though, just that they'll fall back on the current one.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I actually never did either, but everyone says it's good

I just want to see "Be Prepared" in 3D. Even if they don't keep all the songs, they'd BETTER keep "Be Prepared"
If they take out any of the songs, I will riot

And they BETTER keeps "Be Prepared" Im with you on that. also they better keep "I cant wait to be king"

D

Deleted member

I got that portion :p But what does that allow the Switch to do?
Both APIs allow the Switch to render high-performance realtime 3D graphics on video games as well as offering low CPU usage. I don't really know that much either. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

How do we know that the "unified library" thing is true? I know some people like Emily Rogers have mentioned such a thing, but for all we know, they are developing a 3DS successor to co-exist with the Switch, or in the event that it ends up not selling well as was the case with Wii U. Nintendo doesn't know if the Switch will become another DS / Wii-type of success. I'm not saying it will fail, as I'm sure it will sell a lot more than the Wii U, but you never know. I'm not necessarily dismissing the idea, but rather I'm more skeptical about it.

However, the Switch's function as a portable system makes a 3DS successor redundant, further paving the way to an actual unified library. The problem is, how would they make a 3DS successor seem different from the Switch, as both are designed to be portable systems. I've been trying to picture a scenario for months but I really can't.
If the Switch really turns out to be not so portable friendly as some of these rumours seem to insinuate (I guess that could explain why Nintendo seems to market the Switch as a new home console moreso and denying it being a successor for the 3DS as well) then I can see Nintendo working on a more handheld dedicated successor for the 3DS.

I wouldn't mind just seeing an HD follow up from the DS line. Nintendo might even use it to market more towards the mobile market. If the Switch turns out to not be having any touch capabilities then I guess the handheld line has at least that to set itself apart (As well as the dual screen and 3D if they keep that around) from the Switch.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Here's a question for everyone:

What are your top 10 favorite Pokemon?

A pretty basic question, but I'm asking that because I'm sure everyone's top 10 favorite Pokemon list has changed now that Sun and Moon has been released for a month, so I'm curious to see where do some people factor in their favorite Alola Pokemon compared to their other favorites from past generations.

Here's mine, starting from my number one favorite and counting down:

1) Gallade
2) Greninja
3) Aegislash
4) Lurantis
5) Shaymin (Sky Forme)
6) Swampert
7) Meloetta
8) Lycanroc (Midday Form)
9) Primarina
10) Chandelure

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm running out of pokemon I can evolve, and I still have 20% more to go. Only at 80% dex

The remaining seem to be mostly through friendship

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
If the Switch really turns out to be not so portable friendly as some of these rumours seem to insinuate (I guess that could explain why Nintendo seems to market the Switch as a new home console moreso and denying it being a successor for the 3DS as well) then I can see Nintendo working on a more handheld dedicated successor for the 3DS.

I wouldn't mind just seeing an HD follow up from the DS line. Nintendo might even use it to market more towards the mobile market. If the Switch turns out to not be having any touch capabilities then I guess the handheld line has at least that to set itself apart (As well as the dual screen and 3D if they keep that around) from the Switch.
Well since this whole day has been rolling with rumors, I figure it's worth pointing out that it's also been rumored that the Switch will have touch controls with an IR sensor to substitute during TV play.

It'd probably kind of have to if the rumor that it's getting Pokemon Stars is true, otherwise they'd have to remove Pokemon Refresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom