• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I found Little Mac used for about $5 at GameStop

Wii Fit Trainer isn't the only one to not get a restock either

Villager hasn't had any restock in TWO YEARS

Also Pit is a rare one too. And Ryu is still sitting on the shelf
Mentioned Villager before. He had a MASSIVE restock that altered his eyes, but he's TRU exclusive. He can still be found in some stores and online.

Pit literally just got one alongside Lucina, Samus, Sonic, Mega Man, and Gold Mario.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I hung out at a lot of sites at the time and the game was more hovering around the middle then highly praised. No one hated the game, but it didn't get that "OMG, this is awesome, I can't wait to buy it!" reaction like that of Pokken or BotW until E3 where the prospect of different fan-favorite characters aside from Link became a clear reality.
I thought you meant when the game launched.

Obviously it wasn't as hyped at the initial reveal, though even then, I wouldn't call it a mixed reception. It was still reasonably positive, just a few people were on the fence because they didn't know what a Dynasty Warriors is.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ya know.

I looked into the SFV sales thing.

Apparently, that still pretty good as far as fighting games are concerned.

Low for Street Fighter and lower than MK, Smash and Pokken, but still well above most other games of the genre.

Most can't even break a million.

Moreover, it apparently does not include digital sales for PS4 or Steam.

What's curious is that there are very few CFN accounts in comparison to sales though. That is awfully confusing.

For those that don't know, the Capcom Fighting Network is an online function for Street Fighter V that allows you to get updates, view replays, play online and various other things.

It's about half of what the sales are, which should not be the case as it happens whenever you boot up the game when connected to online.

I'm confused.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man, I loved the new Jojo episode, kinda odd that they're doing a non-chronological episode but I love weird Stand fights like this
RIP Koichi tho
Kira's dad is spying on the guy that's spying on the kid that's spying on Kira

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ya know.

I looked into the SFV sales thing.

Apparently, that still pretty good as far as fighting games are concerned.

Low for Street Fighter and lower than MK, Smash and Pokken, but still well above most other games of the genre.
I mean, what other big name fighting games are there? Other than those, we only have Tekken and KOF.

What's curious is that there are very few CFN accounts in comparison to sales though. That is awfully confusing.

For those that don't know, the Capcom Fighting Network is an online function for Street Fighter V that allows you to get updates, view replays, play online and various other things.

It's about half of what the sales are, which should not be the case as it happens whenever you boot up the game when connected to online.
If I were to guess, the news about the terrible online connectivity has to do with it. Most people aren't even bothering with online then.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Today's PG episodes were pretty cool.

Ep. 9
-Only one Ultra Ball to catch Deoxys?, nice RNG bro.
-Looker didn't appeared in the Hoenn based episodes; they could have explained his amnesia.
-I'll never show my Deoxys to Gabby and Ty to piss them off :v
-Prof. Cosmo looked kinda sinister.
-lulnozinnia

Ep. 10
-Props for doing a spoopy episode close to Halloween.
-Chansey has not the face of mercy.
-The invisible food scene actually was disturbing.
-tfw Chansey isn't immune to Ghost type moves.
-Cheryl's lips are a 10/10

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
mean, what other big name fighting games are there? Other than those, we only have Tekken and KOF.
KOF 14 sold much less than Street Fighter V.

Tekken 7 isn't out yet.

But other notable series like Guilty Gear, Blaz Blue, Skull Girls, etc are way behind 1 million even though they made a profit.

If I were to guess, the news about the terrible online connectivity has to do with it. Most people aren't even bothering with online then.
You have to go online to get DLC though.

So unless they want to miss out on a few free characters, I doubt it.

Last edited:

But other notable series like Guilty Gear, Blaz Blue, Skull Girls, etc are way behind 1 million even if they made a profit.
I mean is this really a fair comparison?

Street fighter is a way bigger series so naturally it SHOULD be more successful. I mean jeez comparing it to a little game like Sullgirls isnt exactly fair.

It's like a much much much less drastic version of comparing CoD sales with say. . .Titanfall 2 or some ****.
:061:P

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

This chart explains it well.

Every fighting game released this gen that sold over a million.

Anything lower than that simply does not appear.

SFV seems to have sold okay but well under expectations.

Still, if Capcom is smart, they can improve lifetime sales with a major "Super" Update that would not cannibalize the buyers of the first game. They set up their model in a way where they can afford to have a bad start if they can keep going.

I mean is this really a fair comparison?
Considering I said
but still well above most other games of the genre.
Yeah.

Street fighter is a way bigger series so naturally it SHOULD be more successful. I mean jeez comparing it to a little game like Sullgirls isnt exactly fair.

It's like a much much much less drastic version of comparing CoD sales with say. . .Titanfall 2 or some ****.
:061:P
I get that. I'm just saying, Street Fighter has sold well compared to most of the series/games of the genre with only Mortal Kombat X and Smash 4 beating it this gen.

Does that make the sales good? Not necessarily but it gives it a new point of perspective.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Saw people talking about disks and styluses on the Switch trademark, which is kind of interesting.

What I'm REALLY curious about, though, is how on earth a toy balloon can be a video game accessory.

Like, the key chains I get. You put an Amiibo on there. The ball I don't quite get, but I. . .guess you could chip it too? But the balloon is where I'm completely confused.

Communications part is a bit interesting too, but. . .

What the heck is with the balloons?

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
This supposed Samus amiibo restock...

Still nowhere to be found in my area....Still salty about it...

I wonder if when they release Cloud's amiibo (whenever that will be) they'll actually get the restock for Samus here as well...because my local Best Buy has **** all...

Last edited:

Chrono.

Also people have been getting banned and punished for "cheating" even when they're not doing anything.

The penalty system is screwy, at best.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Also people have been getting banned and punished for "cheating" even when they're not doing anything.

The penalty system is screwy, at best.
I saw a dude playing a youtuber once and the opponent got his ass beat so hard, the dumbass ragequited right in the middle of the match disconnecting the youtuber and everything. Is that punishable?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I saw a dude playing a youtuber once and the opponent got his *** beat so hard, the ******* ragequited right in the middle of the match disconnecting the youtuber and everything. Is that punishable?
There is a system in place.

A reduction of points and a "time out."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is an advertisement that appears on my facebook feed about a Senator in my state

The ad says "Don't vote for this (Republican) Senator because he votes with Republicans 98% of the time"

Is this the level of derp political advertisements put out?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I really hope Dragon Quest: Builders is released on the Switch so I can play it. Cause **** you ps4.

D

Deleted member

I get that. I'm just saying, Street Fighter has sold well compared to most of the series/games of the genre with only Mortal Kombat X and Smash 4 beating it this gen.

Does that make the sales good? Not necessarily but it gives it a new point of perspective.
But one thing that you have to keep in mind is that Street Fighter has quite a huge presence in to the general public and general pop culture. At most franchises like KoF are much more popular in smaller countries. Most of my foreign friends for an example from countries such as Saudi Arabia and Chili, say that SNK has a much bigger presence there, they don't really even know the basics of the Street Fighter franchise, that's also why that eventually they started creating characters that appealed to people in those countries. But it didn't make enough of a presence at to the general pop culture in huge countries such as here in the united states.

The reason why people see SF5 as not doing so well is because it's a big mainstream game, which only MK and Tekken are similar popularity in the main stream. Thogh to be honest, they definitely got the best results when they crossover with SNK as that's where really have great parallels things that mesh well together so naturally. Even though SNK doesn't have as much mainstream cultural popularity, but the thing is it has a HUGE presence when it comes to fighting games and the fighting game community. And SNK is the biggest out of the smaller fighting games you mentioned, the others are pretty much a completely unfair comparison with how obscure they are. :p

That's what really makes Street Fighter different, it applies as a mainstream game much like Smash Bros or COD.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Tekken 7 isn't out yet.

But other notable series like Guilty Gear, Blaz Blue, Skull Girls, etc are way behind 1 million even though they made a profit.

You have to go online to get DLC though.

So unless they want to miss out on a few free characters, I doubt it.
That's not really a fair comparison. Guilty Gear and Blaz Blue are quite obscure, Japanese games, made for Japanese people/the anime fandom elsewhere. It's a much smaller demographic than stuff like SF and Tekken, which are designed to have international appeal.

Skullgirls is flat out an indie game, it's like putting Shovel Knight on the same playing field as Mario from a notoriety standpoint.

Well this is odd, apparently a lot of police sirens are going out around my neighbourhood. Hopefully nothing bad happened....
Hopefully nothing bad happened. If something did happen though, then stay safe.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I just saw Generations, while I can't give a full review, I will say one thing:

I don't know how they did it, but they somehow managed to make Chansey one of the most unsettling things about that episode.

I thought you meant when the game launched.
The thing is I mentioned Midna's E3 reveal in that post and even said 'since that point' following it, I wouldn't have been talking about the launch if I mentioned that detail.

Obviously it wasn't as hyped at the initial reveal, though even then, I wouldn't call it a mixed reception. It was still reasonably positive, just a few people were on the fence because they didn't know what a Dynasty Warriors is.
I said it was in the middle or lukewarm, of which I meant it was kind of neutral in reception, not mixed as in the fanbase had a good combination of people that vocally liked or disliked it.

Regardless, the point was more how it evolved from being this spinoff no one was really sure about to one of the Wii U's biggest games, and how you can see where people started showing interest in it with its debut at E3. It wasn't something that hit the ground running like Pokken, which got its fanbase as soon as the fans caught wind of it, it had to gain that fanbase overtime and it eventually did get to the point where it's a very popular and successful game once it hit release. I felt that was something about the spinoff that was worth noting, as it shows how things can shift in ones favor with the right reveal or information and grow from there.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just saw Generations, while I can't give a full review, I will say one thing:

I don't know how they did it, but they somehow managed to make Chansey one of the most unsettling things about that episode.

The thing is I mentioned Midna's E3 reveal in that post and even said 'since that point' following it, I wouldn't have been talking about the launch if I mentioned that detail.

I said it was in the middle or lukewarm, of which I meant it was kind of neutral in reception, not mixed as in the fanbase had a good combination of people that vocally liked or disliked it.

Regardless, the point was more how it evolved from being this spinoff no one was really sure about to one of the Wii U's biggest games, and how you can see where people started showing interest in it with its debut at E3. It wasn't something that hit the ground running like Pokken, which got its fanbase as soon as the fans caught wind of it, it had to gain that fanbase overtime and it eventually did get to the point where it's a very popular and successful game once it hit release. I felt that was something about the spinoff that was worth noting, as it shows how things can shift in ones favor with the right reveal or information and grow from there.
Pokkén more had the opposite effect, actually.

People were hyped when they first saw it.

And although it sold well, it just sort of came and went for most with little fanfare, partly because the game was barren for content.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But one thing that you have to keep in mind is that Street Fighter has quite a huge presence in to the general public and general pop culture. At most franchises like KoF are much more popular in smaller countries. Most of my foreign friends for an example from countries such as Saudi Arabia and Chili, say that SNK has a much bigger presence there, they don't really even know the basics of the Street Fighter franchise, that's also why that eventually they started creating characters that appealed to people in those countries. But it didn't make enough of a presence at to the general pop culture in huge countries such as here in the united states.

The reason why people see SF5 as not doing so well is because it's a big mainstream game, which only MK and Tekken are similar popularity in the main stream. Thogh to be honest, they definitely got the best results when they crossover with SNK as that's where really have great parallels things that mesh well together so naturally. Even though SNK doesn't have as much mainstream cultural popularity, but the thing is it has a HUGE presence when it comes to fighting games and the fighting game community.

That's what really makes Street Fighter different, it applies as a mainstream game much like Smash Bros or COD.
I'm not saying it didn't do poorly.

It blatantly sold less than expected even to this day. That's really bad.

I'm just saying for its genre, its still decent sales.

That's not really a fair comparison. Guilty Gear and Blaz Blue are quite obscure, Japanese games, made for Japanese people/the anime fandom elsewhere. It's a much smaller demographic than stuff like SF and Tekken, which are designed to have international appeal.

Skullgirls is flat out an indie game, it's like putting Shovel Knight on the same playing field as Mario from a notoriety standpoint.
But they're the only other games in the genre. Historically, the genre doesn't do well. Only three names have ever gotten past that and even then, they've had some games with comparable sales numbers.

I'm not saying "Hur dur it does better than Blaz Blue so its okay."

I'm saying its sales are impressive for the genre. The chart I posted has basically four separate games on it. Those are the only series in the genre that broke a million this generation.

That's really really small.

People don't understand what I'm saying.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

But they're the only other games in the genre. Historically, the genre doesn't do well. Only three names have ever gotten past that and even then, they've had some games with comparable sales numbers.

I'm saying its sales are impressive for the genre. The chart I posted has basically four separate games on it. Those are the only series in the genre that broke a million this generation.

...You're right, maybe we don't understand what you're saying.

It may be "impressive for the genre", but what's the point on noting that? Most people are aware.

It's like saying "Ace Attorney does well for a graphic novel/point and click game". Of course it does, because it doesn't have much competition in it's niche, but it's not doing amazing compared to games in other genres.

I guess it's more correct to say, I understand what you're saying. Just not what the point your words are trying to make.

All in all, it's fair to say at this point SFV didn't do as well as it could have (even if it still did well "for a fighting game"). And there are very clear reasons as to why, and Capcom should keep those in mind come SFVI (or Super Street Fighter V Ultra Turbo 4K Edition). I kinda think the same of Pokkén too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But a lot of that has to do with the history with fighting games themselves, during their most successful era, they weren't played much on home consoles, they were primarily played in arcades. After that other genres of games have risen much more so in popularity, especially since after the 90s first person shooters became extremely popular and pretty much dominate the entire industry by a huge margin to this day. Fighting games never had a huge boom on home consoles comparable to FPS on modern consoles or platformers on classic ones, the boom came in tge arcades, but you never really see them around in arcades anymore, especially modern ones. In other words the genre didn't have enough of a console presence to warrant such a consistent mainstream interest.

It's a genre that used to thrive through arcades, and to be honest, it having the presence it has in impressive considering the majority of arcade genres are dead. Or at least non existent on consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Pokkén more had the opposite effect, actually.

People were hyped when they first saw it.

And although it sold well, it just sort of came and went for most with little fanfare, partly because the game was barren for content.
I was speaking more in terms of initial hype, but you are right that Pokken lost a good amount of its hype past release excluding maybe Japan due to the arcade version and its continued support. A better example would've been something like Splatoon, which was revealed at the same E3 Midna was revealed, but had much more positivity in its initial reveal compared to Hyrule Warriors' December reveal that continued from then on.

The sad thing about Pokken is it could get continued support through the DLC to bring it back up for fans, but they haven't said anything about it for the Wii U version, which has left it in limbo for a lot of fans. I really have to wonder why they're being so quiet about it though when data exists of those characters in the Wii U version's most recent update.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I was speaking more in terms of initial hype, but you are right that Pokken lost a good amount of its hype past release excluding maybe Japan due to the arcade version and its continued support. A better example would've been something like Splatoon, which was revealed at the same E3 Midna was revealed, but had much more positivity in its initial reveal compared to Hyrule Warriors' December reveal that continued from then on.

The sad thing about Pokken is it could get continued support through the DLC like Hyrule Warriors and Splatton to bring it back up for fans, but they haven't said anything about it for the Wii U version, which has left it in limbo for a lot of fans. I really have to wonder why they're being so quiet about it though when data exists of those characters in the Wii U version's most recent update.
My bets are on a Nintendo Switch port/iterative sequel.

D

Deleted member

My classes ended Wednesday and today was thd last of my tests
Now it's just prep classes for entrance exams, though I don't have to worry about tests anymore
Tl;dr I'm free for at least three months
Am I the only one that kinda sorta eats tic tacs like they are candy, the fruit flavored ones or am I just weird like that
Wait, that ISN'T what you're supposed to do with them?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
On the Rayquaza/Deoxys Pokémon Generations episode, was I the only one who noticed that, when Deoxys was in that triangle form, it was moving in the exact way you need to move your character in order to battle Deoxys on Birth Island in FireRed/LeafGreen/Emerald?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom