• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
That's not what I was seeing at all. People just wanted those characters back and voted for them. Some people might have gone for pipe dreams like me with Banjo and ignored likely candidates but a lot of people still voted for vets.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There was probably a lot of support for Ice Climbers and Snake, given that those were the veterans that were seen as being in peril. I didn’t hear much rumbling about Wolf’s absence until after Smash 4’s DLC cycle was over.

I wonder how many people started voting for characters for unreleased games when Corrin was revealed...

DogManStar

Smash Ace
A ton of people voted for Snake and Wolf, even Ice Climbers despite Sakurai saying they weren't possible. They were probably the leaders overall.

Outside of that, it's anyone's guess. Personally, I have my doubts about Isaac being super high, but if Bayonetta won despite not being a smash hit, anything's possible I guess.

D

Deleted member

If this were the second game, they could’ve just used Parch on everything in Altin.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm losing hope again. I wish the game would just come out already so we could get this waiting over with.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I'm losing hope again. I wish the game would just come out already so we could get this waiting over with.
The waiting is always the hardest part. I never really had much hope to begin with, but I'd still like to think the dream could come true; I'd rather find out sooner than later...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
None of the current leaks mention Isaac. Though Ridley is looking pretty likely.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Leaks? I'm so out of the loop, only been paying attention to the (awful) Pokemon leaks.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The big one that has the most support is Ridley, Simon Belmont and Ice Climbers. Several different leakers and what looks like two sources. Some other minor leaks that are just nonsense to talk about.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
As much as I think Ridley definitely deserves to be playable, I'd be skeptical of any leak claiming he will be at this point. After Brawl and SSB4 it just seems like Sakurai has something against him being playable.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I understand why expecting Ridley may seem futile at this point. And skepticism is always useful. But I wouldn't discount the leak.

And I'm not saying Isaac will get in, but it's not like, even if some of the leaks are correct, we know the entirety of the newcomers as this point.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
True. I've just been trying to figure out what direction the newcomers will take. If the roster is leaning towards current characters and third party characters only, that's not great for Isaac. If it's leaning towards older, popular characters or ballot support, that does spell good things for Isaac.

Apparently the Simon Belmont leak lost one of its supporters, and another insider said it was based on a rumor that Sakurai had visited Konami and they'd told him about a new Castlevania game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Apparently the Simon Belmont leak lost one of its supporters, and another insider said it was based on a rumor that Sakurai had visited Konami and they'd told him about a new Castlevania game.
Oh hadn't heard this, got any links?

DogManStar

Smash Ace
True. I've just been trying to figure out what direction the newcomers will take. If the roster is leaning towards current characters and third party characters only, that's not great for Isaac. If it's leaning towards older, popular characters or ballot support, that does spell good things for Isaac.

I don't want to get hopeful, but I don't think it would be a good idea for them to only go for current characters and third-parties. If I'm remembering correctly, Sakurai himself expressed that there weren't many big options left, during the course of Smash 4's DLC cycle. I don't think we'll get as many as some people originally hypothesized. As for current characters, I don't think there are too many options for that either. Sakurai doesn't seem to take spinoff characters like Waluigi seriously, and there just don't seem to be many new characters from the time between this game and the last. I do feel like he might take a few notes off the ballot to add characters, which might be good for Isaac. It would be better for him than the other two options, anyways.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Oh hadn't heard this, got any links?
I'll try to find them later. Mostly been getting my leak info from the K. Rool fans, and they were talking about it yesterday.

I don't want to get hopeful, but I don't think it would be a good idea for them to only go for current characters and third-parties. If I'm remembering correctly, Sakurai himself expressed that there weren't many big options left, during the course of Smash 4's DLC cycle. I don't think we'll get as many as some people originally hypothesized. As for current characters, I don't think there are too many options for that either. Sakurai doesn't seem to take spinoff characters like Waluigi seriously, and there just don't seem to be many new characters from the time between this game and the last. I do feel like he might take a few notes off the ballot to add characters, which might be good for Isaac. It would be better for him than the other two options, anyways.
My thoughts went the same way, but I can't be sure they're correct. So I'm looking to get as much info as I can. Every new character is a bit of insight into Sakurai's choosing process.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The only characters that would have a chance if this is true are from Sun/Moon and ARMS.
ARMS didn’t come out until mid 2017. I don’t think it has a chance.

I think the most relevant thing that happened before release was the Smash ballot.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Relevant stuff around the time that this game would have been planned are pretty small in numbers honestly. What is there really besides a new Pokemon, which was going to happen no matter what? I would not be surprised if this game pulls more from the ballot, but I'm still skeptical about how much this would improve Isaac's chances.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
A quickly curated list of games (pulling out odd titles like Swap Note, or Picross), starting the year after Smash 4.
2015:
Animal Crossing (Happy Home Designer and Amiibo Festival)
BoxBoy
Chibi Robo Zip Lash
Code Name S.T.E.A.M.
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Blackwater
Fossil Fighters
LBX
Mario Maker
Mario Tennis + Mario Party
Splatoon
Majora's Mask 3D + Triforce Heroes
Yo-Kai Watch
Yoshi's Wooly World

So, for "relevant" new IP, that gives us Splatoon, Fatal Frame, Yo-Kai Watch, BoxBoy, Code Name STEAM, LBX, and Fossil Fighters.

2016:
BoxBoxBoy
Bravely Second
DQVII
FE Fates
Kirby Robobot
HW Legends
Lost Reavers
M&S at Rio
Federation Force
Miitomo
Pokemon Go and SuMo (and Pokken)
Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Style Savvy: Fashion Forward
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Yo-Kai Watch 2

Again, going by new IP, that's BoxBoy, Lost Reavers, Rhythm Heaven, Style Savvy, YKW, Miitomo, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

2017:
Animal Crossing Mobile
ARMS
Bye Bye BoxBoy
Ever Oasis
FE Heroes, Warriors, and Echoes
Hey, Pikmin!
Samus Returns
A bunch of Mario stuff
Pokemon Ultra SuMo
Splatoon 2
Kirby Blowout and Kirby Clash
Breath of the Wild
Tank Troopers
Yo-Kai Watch 2 Psychic Specters

For new IP, that's BoxBoy, ARMS, Ever Oasis, and Tank Troopers.

Total list of IP not yet represented in Smash that had games released in between the two Smash games:
Splatoon
Fatal Frame
Yo-Kai Watch
BoxBoy
Code Name STEAM
LBX
Fossil Fighters
Lost Reavers
Rhythm Heaven
Style Savvy
Miitomo
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
ARMS
Ever Oasis
Tank Troopers

I think even 2017 is too new. But that's not a lot of new franchises, and several of those are titles that slipped under a lot of people's radar. Yo-Kai Watch is a third party and unlikely to get in. What does that leave?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A lot of those aren't Nintendo IP. Yo-kai Watch, Dragon Quest, Bravely, Lost Reavers, etc.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Though if the pool is truly so shallow that Sakurai puts in Tethu I'd be as happy as if Isaac made it. However I'm far more likely to see Isaac than Tethu. Although I did say the same thing about Shulk....

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
A lot of those aren't Nintendo IP. Yo-kai Watch, Dragon Quest, Bravely, Lost Reavers, etc.
Indeed. And others still are too small (like Fossil Fighters). Or not likely or super well suited for Smash (Style Savvy). Or have potential licensing trouble (Tokyo Mirage Sessions with the songs).

LBX is apparently a Level-5 property as well. If Sakurai wanted a design like that, he'd probably dump it for Custom Robo.

Qbby I think is one of the most likely Assist Trophies to be added. I don't think he has a full moveset, but with three games in the perfect time zone, he's really likely to get in that role. Style Savvy would be more likely here than as I fighter, though I'm not sure the game is even on Sakurai's radar.

The most likely of that list to be picked would be: Fatal Frame, Rhythm Heaven, and ARMS. And ARMS is unlikely due to how late it released.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Qbby I think is one of the most likely Assist Trophies to be added. I don't think he has a full moveset, but with three games in the perfect time zone, he's really likely to get in that role.
Actually he has enough abilities to give him a full moveset but still he's prime AT bait.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I would be over the moon to see a Fossil Fighters character, but that's even less likely than Isaac.

I think the problem here is restricting it to new IPs. Out of that list, I think the only ones Sakurai would legitimately consider are Rhythm Heaven, Style Savvy, and maybe Ever Oasis and Yokai Watch. I don't think Nintendo will let Sakurai dip into the pool of old characters like Isaac and Andy unfortunately. He'll probably be pigeonholed into only adding characters from series that already have some in Smash. I think we may see the number of unrepresented series getting newcomers go down in this game. I really want to believe that the lack of obvious choices opens a path for Isaac, especially with his ballot support, but I cannot let myself take anything as straight fact and end up disappointed yet again.

Anyways, I don't think anyone would notice if I left anyways, but this is probably gonna be my last post for a while. I don't really feel like getting into Smash speculation for a bit, I think I'm starting to really get a negative perspective on this stuff. I wasn't always as pessimistic as this, I think I'm forcing myself to be too realistic. I don't want to be like that anymore, so I'm gonna stop focusing on Smash stuff so much until e3 gets here. See you in a bit.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My pipe dream is that along with a Dark Dawn sequel that finally ties up its loose ends, we get Isaac announced.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I would be over the moon to see a Fossil Fighters character, but that's even less likely than Isaac.

I think the problem here is restricting it to new IPs. Out of that list, I think the only ones Sakurai would legitimately consider are Rhythm Heaven, Style Savvy, and maybe Ever Oasis and Yokai Watch. I don't think Nintendo will let Sakurai dip into the pool of old characters like Isaac and Andy unfortunately. He'll probably be pigeonholed into only adding characters from series that already have some in Smash. I think we may see the number of unrepresented series getting newcomers go down in this game. I really want to believe that the lack of obvious choices opens a path for Isaac, especially with his ballot support, but I cannot let myself take anything as straight fact and end up disappointed yet again.

Anyways, I don't think anyone would notice if I left anyways, but this is probably gonna be my last post for a while. I don't really feel like getting into Smash speculation for a bit, I think I'm starting to really get a negative perspective on this stuff. I wasn't always as pessimistic as this, I think I'm forcing myself to be too realistic. I don't want to be like that anymore, so I'm gonna stop focusing on Smash stuff so much until e3 gets here. See you in a bit.
Well, I'm using Ridleyboards right now, so it's hard for me to notice individuals. But you'll still be missed. See you after E3.

My pipe dream is that along with a Dark Dawn sequel that finally ties up its loose ends, we get Isaac announced.
Although I really want a Dark Dawn sequel that ties the loose ends up, I think it's been a bit too long. I want an HD Collection of Golden Sun and The Lost Age with Isaac, and the full support of Nintendo's current marketing. Then we get Dark Dawn and its sequel in another bundle pack, also jazzed up to snazzy Switch graphics.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Has anyone seen the datamined roster for Mario Tennis?

I'm just gonna say: don't bring your hopes up for any GS representation.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

It wasn't super high anyway. Just a passing thought.

And there's always DLC! :)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

GS-representation in Mario Tennis?

Sounds highly odd to me - also it'd land Isaac and friends on Panel De Pon-esque situation of sorts.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
GS-representation in Mario Tennis?

Sounds highly odd to me - also it'd land Isaac and friends on Panel De Pon-esque situation of sorts.
As Skyblade12 said it was a passing thought a few pages back on this thread - and said thought kept coming back to me every time I'd think of Mario Tennis. The game looks amazing nonetheless

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
As Skyblade12 said it was a passing thought a few pages back on this thread - and said thought kept coming back to me every time I'd think of Mario Tennis. The game looks amazing nonetheless
Hoo, I see.

Actually, this reminds me of once imagining Golden Sun as a Mario Tennis-esque RPG after seeing this fanart:

(SOURCE)

It'd be certainly one unique way to bring the series back, or even make an original RPG-series with. But it's just an idea.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The main thing is, I feel as though some good advertising is all Golden a Sun needs. Look at what it did for Xenoblade or Fire Emblem. I just want Isaac to show up again, because if Golden sun can get noticed on that level, the series will soar.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The main thing is, I feel as though some good advertising is all Golden a Sun needs. Look at what it did for Xenoblade or Fire Emblem. I just want Isaac to show up again, because if Golden sun can get noticed on that level, the series will soar.
Indeed, really. I think Smash Bros can't keep on being the only place for such the way things go like this - hence why I also wish Camelot would come back to GS and give it one more push through good advertisement and marketing.

D

Deleted member

The closer E3 gets, the slower the wait becomes.......

Aaaaaanyway, comic time!:

"I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, there's no way you can prove anything"

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Another minor annoyance about Dark Dawn: no Mind Read until very, VERY late.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
And that wasn't even proper mind read.

I missed reading all those thoughts ;_:

even though it sometimes drove me mad trying to read everyone's mind

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
So SourceGaming made a “Rate that Character” about Isaac!

The one who made this video doesn’t seem to think too highly of Isaac’s chances, but also seems to ignore quite a few things - for example, the Ballot isn’t brought up once. He also says that Golden Sun is one of the few series that lost representation between games with Isaac’s Assist Trophy being gone - while that is true, he also doesn’t bring up the fact that the series got a new song in Smash 4, so it’s not like it’s just losing representation and that’s it.

The video feels somewhat weak overall in its pros and cons, but this is the Isaac thread, so I figured I’d pop it in here!

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Most of the "Rate the character" videos have been pretty bad from what I've seen so I wouldn't expect Isaac's video to be different.

Top Bottom