• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
That's actually because there's a glossy finish. If you look here, you can see that certain pictures give it off as dark blue while others are black.

Blue

Black:

The cleanest prints show the hair as black.

And the sleeves are very distinctly blue in the original art. The SSB4 model has them as gray.
Seems blue to me. It's clearly different from the black background. And just look at this picture:
The fact that both Samurai Warriors and Captain Rainbow depict his hair as blue also suggests to me that they clealy intended for it to be so. The Takamaru Mii costume in Nintendo Land also has blue hair. There's also the artwork on Nintendo Land's Japanese website...
I mean, it's very dark blue, but blue nonetheless.

I agree that the sleeves are a bit too gray, though. They're not as bright blue as in the original pic you posted, but they do have a distinct blue hue.

Last edited:

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
One thing I've noticed about Takamaru's model, his sleeves are not as big as they should be.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I hope that everyone who was planning on buying Murasame Castle is still going to do that.

We need to show Nintendo that it's popular enough for a revival. I'm going to buy it again for the Wii U if that version is ever released here.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Seems blue to me. It's clearly different from the black background. And just look at this picture:
The fact that both Samurai Warriors and Captain Rainbow depict his hair as blue also suggests to me that they clealy intended for it to be so. The Takamaru Mii costume in Nintendo Land also has blue hair. There's also the artwork on Nintendo Land's Japanese website...
I mean, it's very dark blue, but blue nonetheless.

I agree that the sleeves are a bit too gray, though. They're not as bright blue as in the original pic you posted, but they do have a distinct blue hue.
Let's just stick with the idea that his hair's officially a very dark blue, since there's obviously reason to go either way.

And gray can have hues, but it's still gray. His actual sleeves are pale blue.

The main thing that annoyed me was the sword change, honestly. But I was still also hoping for the Japanese Samurai to actually look Japanese or at least remotely Asian.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
I honestly didn't even know about takamaru until I bought samurai warriors 3, he was a guest character there with his own adventure-like mode murasame castle. I actually really like him and wanted him as a character cuz I love samurais, but assist trophy is fine now that assist trophies are more interactive than before.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I hope that everyone who was planning on buying Murasame Castle is still going to do that.

We need to show Nintendo that it's popular enough for a revival. I'm going to buy it again for the Wii U if that version is ever released here.
Don't worry, I'll planning on buying it to prove that Nintendo's not really wasting their time with this localization. If Sin & Punishment got a new game after the VC sold well internationally, then the same must happen with The Mysterious Murasame Castle. There was a great reason why Nintendo chose to advertise this game at Comic-Con after all since they really want this game to capture the interest of the American public. Making sure the samurai get a brand new game this gen or next gen should be a new mission for now.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999

Definitely! I'm interested in the game, and it still looks like a lot of fun!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Yep. Interest in Pit spiked after Melee and interest in Little Mac spiked after Brawl so this seems like the most reasonable course of action. Takamaru 2020.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Wow. I was never really a Takamaru supporter in any sense of the word (but I wasn't against his inclusion either), but after his game appeared just a day or so ago, I started to think he might have a shot, but alas it wasn't meant to be.

My condolences to this fine thread, and may the samurai's fortunes improve in the future.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Nazo no Murasame-jo could become the hardest nintendo franchise, all the elements seems to fit perfectly for that "hey people, this is what japan plays" :p

I hate nintendo's attitude of always play safe, this could have been a great revival, i mean the world is not going to change in 2020...

Speculator

Smash Ace
I do wonder what we'll get in the way of a retro character. Little Mac definitely doesn't fill that role in the same sense as the Ice Climbers, Pit, ROB or G&W. Most of his visual assets are from 2009. Not to mention in the two previous titles we had two long-dormant retro characters each pop up; I'm not saying that's a pattern, but it would be unusual to go from two to zero particularly considering Sakurai's love of old series.

In any case, Takamaru looks pretty good as an assist trophy and I'm glad he's not just a run-and-slash character. It's already more Murasame than we got in Brawl. Here's hoping for a cool arrangement of the theme music to go with it.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I do wonder what we'll get in the way of a retro character. Little Mac definitely doesn't fill that role in the same sense as the Ice Climbers, Pit, ROB or G&W. Most of his visual assets are from 2009. Not to mention in the two previous titles we had two long-dormant retro characters each pop up; I'm not saying that's a pattern, but it would be unusual to go from two to zero particularly considering Sakurai's love of old series.
Right now balloon fighter is the only one that would make sense, unless they come again with the "mach rider for 3DS" rumors.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Right now balloon fighter is the only one that would make sense, unless they come again with the "mach rider for 3DS" rumors.
As far as I'm concerned Balloon Fighter was one of the first deconfirmations. This is why I'm wondering what's happening with retro characters, it looks like we're running out of potential candidates. Most of the remaining options, like Mach Rider and Excitebiker, don't seem to translate very well into Smash.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
As far as I'm concerned Balloon Fighter was one of the first deconfirmations.
He never actually was, we just assume he is, but no one is truly disconfirmed unless he phisicaly appears not being a character (an AT, FS, or stage elemment).

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
As far as I'm concerned Balloon Fighter was one of the first deconfirmations. This is why I'm wondering what's happening with retro characters, it looks like we're running out of potential candidates. Most of the remaining options, like Mach Rider and Excitebiker, don't seem to translate very well into Smash.
Lip from the Panel De Pon series, and Donbe & Hikari from Shin Onigashima are practically the only candidates left that would fit well into Smash.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
.....I cannot believe I forgot those characters. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

There are too many Retro candidates for Nintendo to choose from, which may be the problem.
Thats why i think balloon fighter is the only one who makes sense, we already have a stage and is somehow connected to the ICs, is the natural step.

Didnt Lucina proved that clones are awesome? :p

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Thats why i think balloon fighter is the only one who makes sense, we already have a stage and is somehow connected to the ICs, is the natural step.

Didnt Lucina proved that clones are awesome? :p
Well, all I got to say is: Good luck with supporting Balloon Fighter.

Tabuhli

Smash Rookie
If we're counting Japanese only characters here, Sukapon from Joy Mecha Fight is probably the best candidate for a retro character. Sakurai actually considered putting him in Melee, but he had trouble programming limbless characters at the time.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Well, this isn't very fun. I was never quite what one would call a "supporter" of the character, since I've never played his game and find him to be too niche for my tastes. Still, I always felt that he had enough of a cult status to make it in, much like Pit in Brawl, and I can't deny that I always assumed he'd be one of the more unique and entertaining sword-wielders, as a two-handed sword user (I'd take him over Shulk any day of the week). My preferred retro newcomer has always been Balloon Fighter, but after his pretty decisive dis-confirmation, I defaulted to Takamaru, as I considered him to be the next best choice. But now yet another candidate has been shot down, and I was so certain that at least one of my top two choices would be picked that I never got far enough to pick a third.

I'm now left wondering whether or not we're getting a retro newcomer at all, given the circumstances. A lack of such a thing would be pretty disappointing to me, being a fan of arcade-era gaming and generally preferring Nintendo's old school output to their current material.

Condolences to Takamaru fans, especially fans of his game. While this specific dis-confirmation doesn't really affect me directly, neither does it say good things about my wishlist overall. On the bright side, Sakurai's directness with shooting down fan-favorite candidates tells me that there must be more to Ridley's appearance than what his coyness would have us believe.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
What would it even do!?
What would Captain Falcon even do!?

There is a support thread for DHD, go take a look at the first posts, come back and tell me you don't want DHD in the game.

Solar Crimson

Smash Cadet
NNID
SolarCrimson
3DS FC
1504-6082-4629
Well...

He was one of my most wanted characters, and while I wasn't anywhere close to being confident that he'd make it in, him being a somewhat popular retro pick made me believe that he may get in. Plus, his game suddenly being localized worldwide also made me believe that there was a larger than average chance that he's playable.

But I suppose that AT isn't all bad. With all the stuff he's been in recently (Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3, and Nintendo Land), plus Smash on top of it, he may be paving the way for a comeback. Hopefully Nintendo capitalizes on that and gives him a new game, so that he'd have a guaranteed spot (according to Sakurai) in the next Smash game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well it's no surprise that my first retro character of choice is always and WILL always be Michael Jones (but you can call him Mike) from StarTropics. :p

This doesn't mean that I considered Takamaru a threat to him by any means. I always considered them kind of a 2-in-1 hopeful reveal. You know... East exclusive Zelda + West exclusive Zelda thing.
Takamaru not playable stung like hell. :( And he was in my opinion THE most likely retro choice. If he didn't make it in, I have no idea who the retro pick is going to be.

For SSB5 Takamaru is going to be my 2nd most wanted character, I bet. Because I don't see myself supporting Sin & Punishment as vividly as I did this time.

Anyway... I'm sure I'll see you guys on the NNMJ Miiverse channel? That, and I see no reason why I can't hang around some more.
:D

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Takamaru getting constantly mistaken to a girl is making me question the humanity.
And thus the magic of Bishounen in Japanese media. Thank GOD nobody had the nerve to start pairing Takamaru with Link after today.

Well it's no surprise that my first retro character of choice is always and WILL always be Michael Jones (but you can call him Mike) from StarTropics. :p

This doesn't mean that I considered Takamaru a threat to him by any means. I always considered them kind of a 2-in-1 hopeful reveal. You know... East exclusive Zelda + West exclusive Zelda thing.
Takamaru not playable stung like hell. :( And he was in my opinion THE most likely retro choice. If he didn't make it in, I have no idea who the retro pick is going to be.

For SSB5 Takamaru is going to be my 2nd most wanted character, I bet. Because I don't see myself supporting Sin & Punishment as vividly as I did this time.

Anyway... I'm sure I'll see you guys on the NNMJ Miiverse channel? That, and I see no reason why I can't hang around some more.
:D
I'll be looking forward to frequenting the Murasame Castle Miiverse page soon as it opens since I'd like to talk more about the game and help out anyone if they're stuck.

Speaking of Miiverse, did anyone notice that Sakurai called the Windmill Swords "Pinwheel Knifes"? Unless it could be a direct translation of the item's Japanese name.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Thank GOD nobody had the nerve to start pairing Takamaru with Link after today.
*whistles innocently* Don't mind me, haha. *kicks a draft for a post in the smash shipping thread under the rug*

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I wasn't exactly first in line to clamor for Takamaru to be in, but he looked like a pretty neat character and his game looks worth getting. I might have given him a strong play had he been in.

Maybe we'll get to have Murasame Castle as a stage.

SketchFox7

Smash Journeyman
I wish his hair WAS black, I hate to say this tired line, but the last thing we need in Smash is another blue-haired swordsman. I'm still rooting for Takamaru for SSB5 regardless though.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Thank god the thread has finally calmed down.
So what else will Takamaru do other than just throwing projectiles?
I'd assume he'd throw more than just those... things, but do you guys think he'll do any sword attacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom