• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
It's really been a while since we had a major deconfirm via POTD. Most of the more recent ones have been via Smash direct, trailer, or E3 demo. Looks like Sakurai's held back a few things to keep the POTD interesting.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
Well this stings, one of my top 5 just got deconfirmed as soon as he started to look likely. This is the first time a character I really wanted got deconfirmed so now I truly know how you Chrom/Waluigi/Dillon/etc. fans feel. I fully expected Sakurai to pull a Kid Icarus and bring Takamaru into Smash so he could design a new game based on the new Takamaru.

I'm sure he'll make it in next time. If have a feeling he'll go the Little Mac route and join after he gets a new game released in a few years. The only problem with him being in Smash five is that we'll have to wait another 6-7 years before it comes out... but it will be worth the wait.

At least he destroyed a horrible leak, I don't what I'd do if K. Rool or RIdley got disconfirmed. Also, hopefully Isaac will make the jump from assist to playable this time, just like Little Mac and future Takamaru.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
Well, even though he didn't make it as a Playable character, I very glad he's in the game at all. I would've loved him to be playable, but it's long over due that he appeared as himself in Smash at all. Like all the characters in Smash Bros, learning about the character had me very interested in his game and another part of Nintendo's History. Very Glad to see him in.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Sorry bout' the disconfirmation guys... all the best ones get lost to the AT fate.

RIP Skull Kid

SketchFox7

Smash Journeyman
Hey, at least we have an official SSB model for the support icons for Takamaru in SSB5, I'm definitely a supporter, wish I could've gotten on the list before he was disconfirmed, would've loved to have seen the samurai playable. Here's hoping that's he's the Japanese Little Mac and gets a promotion in the next game!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, you guys wanted the obituary and here it is in all its saddening glory. I can tell he would be proud of me if he were to read this, even after his honorable death at the hands of the almighty Sakurai.

Series: The Mysterious Murasame Castle
Debut: The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Famcicom) (1986)
Disconfirmation: July 27, 2014 (Picture of the Day)
Role: Assist Trophy

“I live my life by the sword!"

Takamaru is the heroic samurai that went on a journey to defeat the four Daimyo in Edo Era Japan after they were possessed by the demonic Murasame and his mysterious force. He had fought many dangerous foes ranging from ninjas to yokai as he had scaled every castle with a katana in hand and many weapons to his disposal. He had rescued many maidens, slaughtered any ninja in his path, and fought for his homeland even if it had costed his own life during such a hellish mission. Unlike most traditional samurai that we all know, he is a unique case for the many weapons he had used during his journey. Windmill blades, throwing knives, an invisibility cloak, a series of magical shogi pieces, the notorious Inazuma Thunder bomb, and scrolls that granted him the ability to fight with fire. Like many heroes during the 80's like Mario and Link, he had displayed a special kind of bravery and had conquered all obstacles in his way.

Takamaru had gained himself a following in the past due to how much of a hidden gem his game was despite its formerly Japan-only status. But over time, that following had grown over the years due to many unexpected love letters to the series from Nintendo himself. He was a guest character in one of Japan's biggest hack-and-slash games, became an ally to the character Nick in Captain Rainbow, had a few references in Brawl (song and sticker respectively), and got represented in one of the Wii U's most underrated launch titles (Nintendo Land). But sadly it all wasn't enough for Sakurai to consider him a worthy addition, for which is is now an Assist Trophy that attacks people with his iconic Windmill Blades. Like a fellow swordsman would say, maybe he'll get his chance another day and it might be similar to what Little Mac had to go through to leave his Assist Trophy status. Farewell, young samurai and we shall meet again another time and in another place. For now, you'll just have to rest in peace until things get better for a rising star like you.

"Perhaps we may meet again in battle, some other time and place."

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
One thing that doesn't settle well with me when it comes to Assist Trophies is how Soul less they look (besides Isabelle). When you look at them, they don't even look like they are alive, just a robotic imitation. I mean, look at the Confirmed characters and how expressive they are in the game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One thing that doesn't settle well with me when it comes to Assist Trophies is how Soul less they look (besides Isabelle). When you look at them, they don't even look like they are alive, just a robotic imitation. I mean, look at the Confirmed characters and how expressive they are in the game.
That's to be expected. The assist trophies didn't really look that hot in Brawl too.

Little Mac went from this:

To this:

It all comes with making the jump to playable.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I really thought he was likely early on, and as time went on I guess I lost steam.

Probably the lack of retro characters currently announced, with only a few months left.
Wondering if there will even be a newcomer retro character.

Well at least he seems more likely next time around.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I don't really buy the theory that we don't have a retro character newcomer. Megaman, Pac-Man and Little Mac all fit into that category. Sure they've had games recently, buy their heyday was totally in the 80's.

Palutena on the other hand didn't really get popular until recently, so I wouldn't call her one necessarily.

But Takamaru did seem like the most likely "absent" retro character like the ICs, Pit, R.O.B. or Mr. G&W. I suppose we shouldn't expect Mike Jones, Duck Hunt Dog, Excitebiker or Mach Rider either. :(

Last edited:

bentendo222

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty sad that Takamaru isn't playable. And just when I started to have faith in him again. Oh well, at least we got to see what he looks like in this game.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
I saw the Takamaru picture and thought he was confirmed for a second (thought maybe it was late for SDCC or something) but then I went to the site and didn't see a newcomer trailer or page. :ohwell: On a side note, I really like his AT model and if he ever makes the jump to playable I hope he keeps that model.

Regarding "retro" characters I wouldn't be surprised if Little Mac was considered our retro for the game. I don't think Mega Man and Pac Man really count considering they are both 3rd party and Sakurai said we would be getting a retro character in an interview AFTER Mega Man's reveal at E3 2013. So I don't think it's him or Pac Man for that matter. After this though all the other retro choices seem so unlikely now...:(

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I don't really buy the theory that we don't have a retro character newcomer. Megaman, Pac-Man and Little Mac all fit into that category. Sure they've had games recently, buy their heyday was totally in the 80's.

Palutena on the other hand didn't really get popular until recently, so I wouldn't call her one necessarily.

But Takamaru did seem like the most likely "absent" retro character like the ICs, Pit, R.O.B. or Mr. G&W. I suppose we shouldn't expect Mike Jones, Duck Hunt Dog, Excitebiker or Mach Rider either. :(
Sakurai did say he's doing things differently this time around, Mega Man or rather... Pac-Man probably does fit the Retro (and 3rd party) bill, and WiiFitTrainer fits the surprise WTF category that ROB might have fulfilled? So maybe all that's left are high profile characters and/or the most requested?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Ehhh... I still call it a huge stretch to call Megaman, Pac-Man, or Little Mac retro since all three have had new games in the past five years (2010, 2014, and 2009 respectively). Also, yes, I think this revelation takes a giant, steamy crap on the chances of other retro characters and Japanese exclusives unless it's an enormous curveball that nobody wanted and is just as WTF as WFT.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
My deepest condolences to Takamaru supporters. I didn't want him myself, but I know the pain of a deconfirmation, just take a look at my signature.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Ahi, that hurts. Shame Takamaru did not make it in as playable; I think he would have been a very interesting character. Oh well, at least he is more than just a measly sticker this time around.

Here's hoping he will get the Little Mac treatment, in that his series gets a revival, then once he has (possibly) gained more popularity and more canon material to work with, he will be in the next Smash (assuming there is going to be one).

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
I really don't get why Takamaru had to be an assist trophy. This kind of hurts like it did when Chrom was deconfirmed, since I was anticipating him too. I could somewhat understand why he was not put in, maybe too similar to Marth? (Yet uses Lucina anyways?) Chrom could at least have used lances to mix it up a bit.

Takamaru has moveset potential. A katana which works differently from the other swords, and deflect projectiles. Can throw knives, throwing axes and fireballs. Can disappear. Can use lightning to attack all enemies on screen. And yet, why is he being used as an assist trophy if he could have been one back in Brawl? Sometimes I think it's kind of insulting when characters that could have been in past smash games are used in the next one. Like Pit and Little Mac. Shown as trophies or as assist trophies, then are playable in the very next game.

I felt this video was a good example of moveset potential for Takamaru. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQfhyZ9gifM

To me, assist trophies should be for side characters that are nearly impossible to make as playable characters, since they would have a very limited moveset to think of, based on the role of the game they come from. Or maybe characters that wouldn't really fit as a fighter. I know there's Captain Falcon, but somehow those moves he uses fits, even if he's from a racing game.

Sure, Takamaru has a better chance to be playable in the next Smash Bros, especially if he gets a brand new modern game, which he deserves. But I would have thought with all the cameos he's been in the past few years, Sakurai would have thought Takamaru would be perfect to use as a playable character and use him to really revive his series. Especially since there's not that many Nintendo characters left that could fit as playable in Smash Bros. And especially since we don't have a samurai character for Smash Bros.

Hopefully Takamaru is in the next game, but I hate to have to wait years for it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Though it may be awhile before the next Smash game, at least this wasn't his make-it-or-break-it moment for a Smash game like Chrom or Wonder Red. Takamaru has been able to stick around for 28 years with a slew of cameos and playable appearances in the past 6 so this is hardly the end of the road for him.

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
I could have sworn I've been to this thread before...
Sorry guys. Takamaru would have been a unique character, but there's always next game. Just look at Little Mac!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know what I noticed?

Pit had his original NES appearance in Melee and then he got an updated appearance in Brawl.

Next, Little Mac had his original NES appearance in Brawl and then he got an updated appearance in SSB4.

Now, Takamaru has his original NES appearance in SSB4 and I think he would get an updated appearance in SSB5. ;)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't get you guys saying how great and faithful the model is.

They changed his hair to blue (which I don't mind, myself, since his sprite did have blue hair), lightened his skin color, dulled his sleeve's great blue color (one of the things that I love about the classic design is how colorful it is), and they made his sword a freaking Ninjato (or Chokuto) instead of his iconic Katana.

I mean, I'm glad he finally has a model in Smash, but they shouldn't have changed him so much. His original design was made by a famous anime artist, after all. It's not like it was subpar.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ehhh... I still call it a huge stretch to call Megaman, Pac-Man, or Little Mac retro since all three have had new games in the past five years (2010, 2014, and 2009 respectively). Also, yes, I think this revelation takes a giant, steamy crap on the chances of other retro characters and Japanese exclusives unless it's an enormous curveball that nobody wanted and is just as WTF as WFT.
*crosses fingers for Duck Hunt Dog*

It is unbelievable how we still don't have confirmed retro veterans, let alone a retro newcomer.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

They changed his hair to blue (which I don't mind, myself, since his sprite did have blue hair), lightened his skin color, dulled his sleeve's great blue color (one of the things that I love about the classic design is how colorful it is), and they made his sword a freaking Ninjato (or Chokuto) instead of his iconic Katana.

I mean, I'm glad he finally has a model in Smash, but they shouldn't have changed him so much. His original design was made by a famous anime artist, after all. It's not like it was subpar.
Is... something wrong with his Arm?
It's kind of greyish

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

That's a bad scan. If you look up images of the original boxart, you can see that the colors are accurate.

The only thing they changed was his katana.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

I guess they just felt like "touching" him up a bit. *Shrug*

A big pet peeve here too. But at the end, gotta save that RAM for A.I- even then, they aren't gonna be there for more than a while.
Even worse is that there's no official art done for them this time either, unlike in Brawl.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
It's armor, actually. Armguards, if we're being specific. That's actually kept in the assist trophy's model.
That does not look like an Armgaurd in the Assist Trophy, it looks more he's slowly being taken over

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
He has least got an appearance in the game in some way. That's better then being entirely forgotten at least.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well, to me the confirmed characters' expressions make them more life like.
It's a big imporvement from Brawl. There everyone was... lifeless. in a way.

Maybe one day we see Ats and other characters in the game gain more stuff to 'em as technology evolves on.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That's a bad scan. If you look up images of the original boxart, you can see that the colors are accurate.

The only thing they changed was his katana.
That's actually because there's a glossy finish. If you look here, you can see that certain pictures give it off as dark blue while others are black.

Blue

Black:

The cleanest prints show the hair as black.

And the sleeves are very distinctly blue in the original art. The SSB4 model has them as gray.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
Though it may be awhile before the next Smash game, at least this wasn't his make-it-or-break-it moment for a Smash game like Chrom or Wonder Red. Takamaru has been able to stick around for 28 years with a slew of cameos and playable appearances in the past 6 so this is hardly the end of the road for him.
i wouldnt say wonder red has his make it or break it moment as his game could easily have a sequekl inbetween smash 4 and 5. while chrom is most likely neve appearing again in fire emblem.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of disappointed. I didn't play Takamaru's game (not yet, I mean), but it's a character I would love to see in Smash. Maybe on the time or in Project M there are possibilities, but today I felt kind of "oh... no...".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom