• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
One of the biggest reasons why I hate the mentality that a character needs to have a recent game before getting into Smash is because its one of the most vicious cycles ever. A character like Takamaru gets nods and develops respect in non-unified pockets of the Nintendo audience but because he doesn't get mainline releases, he's considered "side bench" material despite most definitely having the potential to bring something missing to the roster both in history and in play style.

It's so upsetting sometimes. :(

Would Takamaru be a good Fast paced fighter with good Zoning? What would you supporters of Takamaru describe as his strengths?
The way I see Takamaru, he'd be a more aggro version of Link. Whereas Link's projectiles are more about controlling space with specific sequences of item tosses and slowly coming in for the kill, Takamaru would be more about shutting down large areas of space with fast projectiles and coming in through the explosions and ruin with movement on par with Marth/Fox. He's still from the same mold though in that the large majority of his KO moves would come from his normals and he would enjoy hassling people from a certain distance before bringing lethal close range sword draws into play.

There's a reason why I called him Sword Spacie a few weeks ago in this thread. Just imagine his projectiles as laser with a few different effects and his normals as upsmash due to the force from swinging. (Of course, I wouldn't want every one of Taka's Smashes/normals to be Melee/Brawl/PM Fox upsmash strong, that'd be ****ing broken. lol)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Would Takamaru be a good Fast paced fighter with good Zoning? What would you supporters of Takamaru describe as his strengths?
In terms of his strengths I'd imagine him being a mixture between Arthur and Virgil in both versions of Marvel vs. Capcom 3. His projectiles should cover larges areas of the stage with them traveling at great speeds and with moderate spamability. Despite this, the projectiles should at least have different strengthen depending on which ones are used. The smaller projectiles should be faster and weaker while the bigger ones should be slower and stronger. His physical attacks should be fast, yet strong (even more than the bigger projectiles) to be his main kill moves.Most aerials should at least involve his blade while few (like the down aerial) should be projectiles. His main speed should be fast than Link, but slower than Marth to further differentiate him form the other swordsman.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Thanks for the answers about Takamaru's Moveset Strengths, guys.

Now about his weaknesses. What would Takamaru players have to worry about most when playing as him? Edge guarding tactics and the like? What type of character would provide the greatest challenge to him?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Now about his weaknesses. What would Takamaru players have to worry about most when playing as him? Edge guarding tactics and the like? What type of character would provide the greatest challenge to him?
Being a light character maybe, relatively short sword range, and the lack of a good recovery due to his agility and great speed.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

It's say lackluster jumping (due to his pants), be even more lightweight than the likes of Marth, and have a short reach due to the shortness of his blade. His speed, agility, and zoning should easily make up for these faults.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Since he doesn't jump in his games, it makes sense to make him a bad jumper. Along with that, he can only take a few hits in his games, so he should be frail as well. And, of course, Katana have blades of 60-73 cm while European Longswords have blades of 90-110. His range would be only average, being poor for a swordman. That said, it would still be a disjointed hitbox and would probably still be a bit above average range, so I'm not sure if it would really be a disadvantage, per se.

Last edited:

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
As long as he was fun to play as, I wouldn't mind much. I'm hoping for a more cartoony style over the Samurai Warriors style, anyways - maybe not that cartoony, but I think I'd still prefer it to srs bsns realistic Takamaru.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I dunno. I don't really want chibi Takamaru. I'd rather something similar to the artwork with realistic proportions as seen on the box art of the original game. I'm just not a fan of chibi in general.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I dunno. I don't really want chibi Takamaru. I'd rather something similar to the artwork with realistic proportions as seen on the box art of the original game. I'm just not a fan of chibi in general.
This. While Chibi!Taka looks cute and all, he would still look too out of place compared to the 1986 characters (Zelda, Kid Icarus, ect.). So sticking with his original appearance while giving him the details of SMW3 (Damn, that golden hawk just looks to good on his vest.) and brighter colors to fit in with Smash Wii U/3DS's style.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Something to think about... Smash Run features enemies from franchises that have playable characters... including Yellow Ghosts for Mii Fighters (they still should have included Wandering Heroes but I digress) and Sneaky Spirits for Chorus Men... but have we seen ninjas from Takamaru's game in Smash Run?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Something to think about... Smash Run features enemies from franchises that have playable characters... including Yellow Ghosts for Mii Fighters (they still should have included Wandering Heroes but I digress) and Sneaky Spirits for Chorus Men... but have we seen ninjas from Takamaru's game in Smash Run?
Short answer, no.
But that doesn't rule out the possibility that they are in Smash Run.
Alot of enemies probably won't be shown off until their respective character is.
Take Xenoblade for example if a Mechon (main Xenoblade enemy) was shown off in Smash Run sometime recently it would outright confirm Shulk.
So they're obviously going to hold some enemies till release.

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
Will every character have enemies from their series in Smash Run? These are the burning questions, people. I doubt it unless there are scorpions from animal crossing and I don't know what a Wii Fit enemy would be (fat people?). Come to think of it, Little Mac and Fox probably won't see any familiar foes in Smash Run either (unless there are aparoids lol). Anyway, I think what I'm getting at is that I don't think there will be any generic Murusame ninjas in Smash Run.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Will every character have enemies from their series in Smash Run? These are the burning questions, people. I doubt it unless there are scorpions from animal crossing and I don't know what a Wii Fit enemy would be (fat people?). Come to think of it, Little Mac and Fox probably won't see any familiar foes in Smash Run either (unless there are aparoids lol). Anyway, I think what I'm getting at is that I don't think there will be any generic Murusame ninjas in Smash Run.
It's too impossible for Animal Crossing and Wii Fit enemies to happen since they are far too peaceful for such violence.

But all jokes aside, the ninjas are basically the only iconic enemies I can see being added IF there will be any Murasame Castle enemies. The Western Smash fanbase can easily recognize them (thanks to Nintendo Land), but I can tell they would be confused by the appearance of tengu and oni (which were also enemies in Nazo no Mursame-Jo). AS for the ninja's colors, they can just go for the black ones since they were the most common.

Another theory I had is that certain Smash Run enemies might not appear unless the character from that universe (Takamaru) had to be unlocked first beforehand.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So what does that mean? Are Chorus Men on the starting roster since we already saw Sneaky Spirits?

Scorpions and tarantulas from Animal Crossing need to be in Smash Run... I remember the month-long frustration of hunting for a scorpion last July... they would attack me before I saw them... they would attack me as soon they saw me pull out the net...

Takamaru's enemies would be pretty cool... they are very distinctive... they are nothing like the other Nintendo enemies... Sakurai would have to be insane to pass up on The Mysterious Murasame Castle... it's a game that is just begging to be revived and expanded upon.

Your theory is probably true... we still haven't seen any Mother enemies... so Ness and/or Lucas are probably unlockable.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I think we'd probably see the Nintendoland multicolored ninjas as enemies. Or maybe an enemy based on the Nintendoland boss mask thingy. I don't know if i'd expect to see older enemies because people might not know them.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think we'd probably see the Nintendoland multicolored ninjas as enemies. Or maybe an enemy based on the Nintendoland boss mask thingy. I don't know if i'd expect to see older enemies because people might not know them.
But...he'd be trying to reintroduce the series to the masses...why wouldn't he use characters from the original game?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
But...he'd be trying to reintroduce the series to the masses...why wouldn't he use characters from the original game?
He could and probably would, but i see the colored ninjas being there either only or in addition to older enemies

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
He could and probably would, but i see the colored ninjas being there either only or in addition to older enemies
Oh, the Ninjas would still be in. Those are from the original game (and are sort of the Goombas of Nazo no Murasame jo). I just think we'll also get some more enemies.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Another theory I had is that certain Smash Run enemies might not appear unless the character from that universe (Takamaru) had to be unlocked first beforehand.
Interesting but we fought luigi in classic mode (64) and adventure mode (melee) before unlock him, so i dont really think so.

Ninjas are chibi in nintendo land, and is pretty much what we could get.
Still, im expecting a realistic style in pair of link and marth.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So what does that mean? Are Chorus Men on the starting roster since we already saw Sneaky Spirits?

Scorpions and tarantulas from Animal Crossing need to be in Smash Run... I remember the month-long frustration of hunting for a scorpion last July... they would attack me before I saw them... they would attack me as soon they saw me pull out the net...

Takamaru's enemies would be pretty cool... they are very distinctive... they are nothing like the other Nintendo enemies... Sakurai would have to be insane to pass up on The Mysterious Murasame Castle... it's a game that is just begging to be revived and expanded upon.

Your theory is probably true... we still haven't seen any Mother enemies... so Ness and/or Lucas are probably unlockable.
Now that you've mentioned it, having those annoying arachnids as Smash Run enemies would be great since many AC fans have hated coming across them. After all, I do love killing spiders.

Since it's the closet thing to a modern ninja design, they can easily give them such an appearance albeit taller to fit in Takamaru himself. There were ninjas of various colors and types throughout the original Nazo no Mursame-Jo game too, the flashing ones being the most annoying to defeat.

BTW, the masked boss thing is clearly Murasame himself and he would be much more appropriate as a boss.

I agree with this sentiment. If there were more than just ninjas that could be included, they could have the castle swordsmen since they wouldn't be as cultural confusing to Western Smash fans unlike the yokai enemies (as much more annoying as they were).

Last edited:

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
I sure hope he makes it in. I think it would make sense this time around since Little Mac serves more of a NES representative for the US audience for this generation of Smash. I think Nintendo should use this opportunity to bring Takamaru to represent the Famicom this time around. Just as Pit and the Ice Climbers did before.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I sure hope he makes it in. I think it would make sense this time around since Little Mac serves more of a NES representative for the US audience for this generation of Smash. I think Nintendo should use this opportunity to bring Takamaru to represent the Famicom this time around. Just as Pit and the Ice Climbers did before.
That's what I've been thinking. Over the years since each Smash game was released, we have never had a single addition that represents the Famicom (or the Japanese side of Nintendo in general). There were many choices that could have been considered like Sukapon (He was said to not be expected), Donbe and Hikari (who is barely mentioned in Japanese requests), A Famicom Tantei rep (who may need TONS of work to make a moveset), Tamagon (who may have a chance of pissing of the religious in America), and so on. While Takamaru could easily be the best character to fulfill such missing representation considering the things that's been happening lately:
  • He was chosen to the be the Nintendo guest of ALL Nintendo characters to be in Samurai Warriors 3 after Brawl's release.
  • Had a supporting role in Captain Rainbow with a few other Japanese-exclusive characters like Lip and Devil.
  • Had a minigame in Nintendo Land, despite his game not being a commercial success in the or having a small cult following
  • Managed to get a few mentions in Brawl in the form of a sticker and the Main Overworld Theme as an unlockable track.
  • Does get a few mentions/request in Japan pre-Wii U/3DS, though most retros are barely mentioned in the first place.
  • One of the last of the 4 Famicon Action Titles (Zelda, Kid Icarus, Metroid, and Murasame Castle) to be represented.
  • And managed to released outside of Japan for the first time in history (despite having a European release for now).
He just have so many things going for him despite the odds being down due to a certain leak and feeling "done" due to Greninja arguably being the token "Japanese minority" (despite him actually being form a well established franchise). While the roster itself is shaping up to be good so far, there's a disturbing lack of reps retro/pre- Gamecube (IF you ignore the resident third parties Pac-Man and Mega Man). Don't get me wrong while I love how the game is shaping up and what the roster might be so far (based Sal Romano), but it still needs MORE nostalgia to have the quality that Melee and Brawl had to make themselves represent Nintendo history well. But we'll wait and see if the old samurai will finally make his appearance in the final roster or as a downloadable extra.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
He just have so many things going for him despite the odds being down due to a certain leak and feeling "done" due to Greninja arguably being the token "Japanese minority"
Hey we could have Takamaru rival both Sheik and Greninja, since in Takamaru's game the common enemies are in fact ninjas. :)

Noting that Zelda and Murasame Castle were sister franchises during the NES days, it'd be really nice to see them unite just as Metroid and Kid Icarus did.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey we could have Takamaru rival both Sheik and Greninja, since in Takamaru's game the common enemies are in fact ninjas. :)

Noting that Zelda and Murasame Castle were sister franchises during the NES days, it'd be really nice to see them unite just as Metroid and Kid Icarus did.
The former makes sense since one of the older topics names was "Wherever There's a Ninja, There's a Samurai". I can imagine an event that involves Takamaru taking on clones of Sheik and Greninja in Murasame Castle to reflect the crazy difficulty of Nazo no Murasame-Jo.

The last part is a great reason why I'd like to see him in Smash since Pit was special enough to be in Brawl with his sis Samus. Sakurai would be missing out on a HUGE opportunity if the Famicom Swordsman Brothers (Link and Takamaru respectively) weren't together in a game like Smash.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The former makes sense since one of the older topics names was "Wherever There's a Ninja, There's a Samurai". I can imagine an event that involves Takamaru taking on clones of Sheik and Greninja in Murasame Castle to reflect the crazy difficulty of Nazo no Murasame-Jo.

The last part is a great reason why I'd like to see him in Smash since Pit was special enough to be in Brawl with his sis Samus. Sakurai would be missing out on a HUGE opportunity if the Famicom Swordsman Brothers (Link and Takamaru respectively) weren't together in a game like Smash.
I'd honestly prefer just Takamaru vs. Team Sheik. Human ninjas fit better than frog ninjas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom