• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So I was thinking the other day, and as may know, I'm a supporter of Takamaru and Mike Jones.
Takamaru being a Japanese exclusive character (mostly), and Mike being a Western exclusive.
Could they both make it in to show off the East vs. West thing?
Mike Jones has more obstacles to go through, being a U.S. only character is the biggest wall that makes me doubt he'll be playable.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
My personal prediction is that we're getting the remaining Gematsu newcomers, K. Rool, Takamaru, and hopefully Ridley. However, I could see Takamaru as DLC if push comes to shove.
I was thinking the exact same thing, but Mewtwo instead of Taka if he weren't to be in the final in-game roster. I can tell that August will be a pretty interesting month since Smash might be involved in a Smash Direct for the last time (IF they don't plan on being in them after or during the release of the 3DS version) and possibly one of the last few updates on the Sal leak.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Don't hate me for this, but I feel as if Takamaru COULD become a Mii character.

Like, if there is some sort of Samurai outfit, the Mii's can use a sword, shuriken(s?). I feel like even if he isn't playable, he can still spiritually be there.

Not that being there in the form of a Mii is what you guys were looking for, but it's something.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Like, if there is some sort of Samurai outfit, the Mii's can use a sword, shuriken(s?). I feel like even if he isn't playable, he can still spiritually be there.

Not that being there in the form of a Mii is what you guys were looking for, but it's something.
Honestly if he's not in as a normal character I wouldn't want to see a Mii relating to him.
I'm still not behind Mii's yet I was a little before they were revealed but all their movesets seem, to me, like rehashes of other characters moves.
But that's off topic.
If Takamaru's out (which I think he's in) I atleast hope we see a stage or even less a trophy.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Doesn't really seem like something Sakurai would do IMO.
The same thing could easily be applied to every other human newcomer.

Staarih

Smash Master

Good point, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened, especially since the throwback to Takamaru in Nintendo Land was via Mii's too. But then again, so was every other minigame haha. But surely, I don't WISH this to happen and would rather have Takamaru as his own character in Smash. I'd rather the Mii's have elements from actual characters' moves, like the ninja star for example, could be from Takamaru's moveset (I know I know, he doesn't actually use them but when has Smash been canon anyway?).

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I was thinking the exact same thing, but Mewtwo instead of Taka if he weren't to be in the final in-game roster. I can tell that August will be a pretty interesting month since Smash might be involved in a Smash Direct for the last time (IF they don't plan on being in them after or during the release of the 3DS version) and possibly one of the last few updates on the Sal leak.
I don't count Mewtwo as a full newcomer, but he's in. I actually hope for a roster with them all in.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Remember when Takamaru used to be on more rosters than he is now? Man, that Gematsu leak sure did a number on character speculation.

I do hope there is more. I don't know if Takamaru will be in or not.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
People still forget about secret newcomers. :p
Based on Takamaru's obscure status, I think he will be revealed post release, so in reality, Takamaru's chances aren't really hurt.
People thought his chances were hurt by Greninja which doesn't make much sense seeing as Takamaru uses Daggers instead of Shurikens, Greninja doesn't represent Japaneses culture as well as Takamaru will, and obviously Greninja's a Ninja and Takamaru is a Samurai.
It might also help to say that Ninja's and Samurai's are pretty much mortal enemies.

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
I'm remaining optimistic, but I must admit that I am far less confident in our favorite samurai's inclusion than I was a few months ago. Hoping for ~5 unannounced newcomers for the game and I expect him to be one of them!

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I was thinking about something and it makes a good amount of sense- from the Gemtasu leak, we only don't have Shulk, Chorus Men, and Chrom. I doubt there would only be 3 unlockable newcomers, that seems odd. I mean, yeah for Brawl we only got Lucario, ROB, and Wolf, but we presumably still have time for another newcomer reveal in August assuming a direct. I'm guessing we're going to get unlockable newcomers as well and maybe that's where we'll see Taka shine.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I was thinking about something and it makes a good amount of sense- from the Gemtasu leak, we only don't have Shulk, Chorus Men, and Chrom. I doubt there would only be 3 unlockable newcomers, that seems odd. I mean, yeah for Brawl we only got Lucario, ROB, and Wolf, but we presumably still have time for another newcomer reveal in August assuming a direct. I'm guessing we're going to get unlockable newcomers as well and maybe that's where we'll see Taka shine.
Bingo. I think Takamaru is unlockable. Chrom, Shulk, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Palutena all unlockables as well.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Honestly, with the release date close, and the Gematsu leak, I'm losing hope for a playable Takamaru every day. But I know for sure that Mysterious Murasame Castle is going to be in the game somehow. It was referenced in Brawl, it is the only series in Nintendo Land not in SSB4 yet, and the Fat Mac trophy is a proof that we will get at least a Takamaru trophy this time. That's better than what we got in the last game.
If Takamaru's trophy description says "Will Takamaru ever fight again?", that's enough for me. I'll be happy.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Honestly, with the release date close, and the Gematsu leak, I'm losing hope for a playable Takamaru every day. But I know for sure that Mysterious Murasame Castle is going to be in the game somehow. It was referenced in Brawl, it is the only series in Nintendo Land not in SSB4 yet, and the Fat Mac trophy is a proof that we will get at least a Takamaru trophy this time. That's better than what we got in the last game.
If Takamaru's trophy description says "Will Takamaru ever fight again?", that's enough for me. I'll be happy.
Well the fact he's probably going to remain a secret newcomer is no surprise to me and it makes sense for many reasons. You shouldn't really blow your hopes away at all.
My stance on Takamaru hasn't changed.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Has Mysterious Murasame Castle been released on VC yet anywhere besides Japan? I don't think it's come to the US yet.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Has Mysterious Murasame Castle been released on VC yet anywhere besides Japan? I don't think it's come to the US yet.
It has released in Europe, but not in the U.S. yet...
Which is definitely something. Shows us they still want the franchise. We got a song and sticker in Brawl, plus appearances by the great samurai himself in Nintendo Land, Captain Rainbow, and Samurai Warriors 3. That's enough for me to say he's IN. As a secret unlockable retro fighter.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Which is definitely something. Shows us they still want the franchise. We got a song and sticker in Brawl, plus appearances by the great samurai himself in Nintendo Land, Captain Rainbow, and Samurai Warriors 3. That's enough for me to say he's IN. As a secret unlockable retro fighter.
It certainly raises an eyebrow and a flag

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Takamaru was not affected by anything at all thus far. He has been calmly sipping Herbal Tea awaiting his Smash Bros news.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
Hey there, folks! So I came across a certain post from Sakurai on the official website for SSB on the N64 and it seems to say (I think it says this), that Takamaru has been on Sakurai's mind as a playable character, though I could be wrong. Here's the link for anyone who can translate: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn024.html
If that's the case, then why is Sakurai taking so long to put Takamaru in? Why wasn't he included in at least Brawl? Sure his sticker and a song from his game were included. I am starting to lose hope in Takamaru being playable and am really hoping he's a secret character. Somehow, Takamaru seems to fit as the final character unlock.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If that's the case, then why is Sakurai taking so long to put Takamaru in? Why wasn't he included in at least Brawl? Sure his sticker and a song from his game were included. I am starting to lose hope in Takamaru being playable and am really hoping he's a secret character. Somehow, Takamaru seems to fit as the final character unlock.
The very reason you want Takamaru revealed this exact moment, is the reason why Sakurai has not revealed him yet. Sakurai will hold on to characters as long as he can bait them to his trolling traps.

That is how Sakurai rolls.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Just making a PSA like I did in the Lip thread:

The Clone Engine Discussion and Voting thread is accepting votes for characters you'd like to see joining the Project M roster and Takamaru has recently (as in like yesterday thanks to yours truly) come into vogue. If you'd like to stop by and drop a vote for Taka and some others in the OP list, come by and check it out.

Just make sure to follow the rules listed in the OP. Blind voting only results in headaches. :p

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Because there hadn't been any new games.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Only the majority play Project M for the competitive gaming. I doubt he would gain fans from that.
You would underestimate this fanbase's ability to find attachments to characters through game play? I'm a Marth main for life because of Melee and pretty much got into Fire Emblem and his character as a result. (Playing as a noble Hero Prince? Kickass.) As for him showing up in Project M, the clone engine has shown that there is room for a wide variance in attributes between the clone base and the final character (see Mewtwo which iirc came from Lucario).

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm goin to cast my vote in the Clone Engine Discussion Thread as soon as I figure out how the rules work. That looks complex. :crazy:
Also consider voting Sukapon. I mean, Sakurai told us not to expect him in official Smash games, and he'd be an interesting fighter, being of the Turtle archetype, which is something Smash has yet to see.

How could you say no to this goofball?

Being a supporter of Takamaru, I imagine you probably enjoy retros of all kinds. Sukapon's one of the most interesting. (Play his game sometime if you haven't!)

Last edited:

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Do you have a source?
Unfortunately she's right. It's in one of Sakurai's Melee Blog. He said that he would like to add him to the roster but he wouldn't until he get a new game. Strangely enough he shown up in four games right after Super Smash Bros Brawl, so I actually thought that he had a shot to be playable character.

Sometime you can't take TeenGirlSquad seriously because he have been spreading wrong informations around the forums. When people asked him for the sources, he basically ignored us and wouldn't give us the sources.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Unfortunately she's right. It's in one of Sakurai's Melee Blog. He said that he would like to add him to the roster but he wouldn't until he get a new game. Strangely enough he shown up in four games right after Super Smash Bros Brawl, so I actually thought that he had a shot to be playable character.

Sometime you can't take TeenGirlSquad seriously because he have been spreading wrong informations around the forums. When people asked him for the sources, he basically ignored us and wouldn't give us the sources.
I will have to look for the source myself, but thanks for your input.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
...Does Nintendo Land count?
We already have the West character, Little Mac.
And the East, being Lucas.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Would Takamaru be a good Fast paced fighter with good Zoning? What would you supporters of Takamaru describe as his strengths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom