• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The same VA as Levi from Attack on Titan? Wouldn't be a bad choice for Takamaru. The actor could pull off a calm, stoic demeanor that fits Takamaru well.

However, he's already voiced by another actor in Samurai Warriors 3 (Hiroshi Okamoto), so he might reprise the role for this game if Takamaru joins the roster.
Hiroshi was decent, but he was made really bland for the sake of fitting in with the "Oh so serious." Warriors cast. Not to mention some his quotes were really weird too (I live my life by the sword, ect.).

Speculator

Smash Ace
Hiroshi was decent, but he was made really bland for the sake of fitting in with the "Oh so serious." Warriors cast. Not to mention some his quotes were really weird too (I live my life by the sword, ect.).
That one isn't so weird, "Live by the sword" is a biblical extract.

I think Takamaru's voice depends on how he's characterized. If he's super serious all the time then a serious actor would work. If they decided to include some more comic Captain Rainbow-esque elements to his personality, then an actor with a wide range would be ideal to cover all bases.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If they go with the wider range, and callbacks to Captain Rainbow, I'd love to see a unique victory pose/quote if Zelda/Rosalina/WFT/Palutena/Peach are present.

Something where he's holding his sleeve up to his nose, his back turned to either them or the camera, saying something like "St-stop staring at me..." or "Ah...please forgive me!" Or something.

Otherwise I absolutely want the victory poses in the OP.

It's also worth noting that's an easy and tasteful way to implement such a funny callback, without upsetting anyone's sensibilities or being too Japanese for SOME people.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Takamaru having the nosebleeds is kind of a divisive thing. On one hand, it could bring a touch of comedy to an otherwise stoic character, as well as serving as a Captain Rainbow reference. On the other hand, some may criticize it for being an overused anime trope and/or about the sexual implication nosebleeds in anime/manga often carry.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, I think if he was just covering his nose with his sleeve, and doesn't say any more than the lines I had above, it wouldn't be obvious to anyone who didnt understand that trope, and much less sexual than "Samus took her clothes off!"

I think it'd be alright. I don't expect it though, it sure would be nice however.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Takamaru having the nosebleeds is kind of a divisive thing. On one hand, it could bring a touch of comedy to an otherwise stoic character, as well as serving as a Captain Rainbow reference. On the other hand, some may criticize it for being an overused anime trope and/or about the sexual implication nosebleeds in anime/manga often carry.
Not to mention it might bump Smash's rating to B for the first time in Japan, which wouldn't be a good move on their part.

EDIT: Having his sleeve covered would be fine.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Speaking of which, I think his Captain Rainbow design would make a fitting alternate costume, in conjunction with what will most likely be his Smash-original redesign.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Plus, Smash Bros. and blood have never gone together. I don't think that's a huge thing, but Smash Bros. has always had the rating equivalent to our "E for Everyone" in Japan, and I'm not sure they'd want to risk that by adding in blood of any kind. (Then again, it's seen as more comedic there, so they might not think twice of it.)

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
By the way, is that actually a thing? Are there people out there who actually get nosebleeds when sufficiently aroused?

I'm sure that trope is based on IRL happenings, but I've never heard of or seen anyone actually experience this effect.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
By the way, is that actually a thing? Are there people out there who actually get nosebleeds when sufficiently aroused?

I'm sure that trope is based on IRL happenings, but I've never heard of or seen anyone actually experience this effect.
It's based on the Japanese Old Wife's Tale, so it doesn't happen to people in real life. That explains why it was a concept overused in anime since the 70's.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Once again, my idea was for the sleeve to completely cover his nose, with the actual "nosebleed" only being implied by his actions.

The dude has decent sized sleeves. It should be perfectly reasonable for no blood to be visible. Plus, in the event he has his back to the camera, its even less potentially divisive.

I honestly think the first option is fine though.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Once again, my idea was for the sleeve to completely cover his nose, with the actual "nosebleed" only being implied by his actions.

The dude has decent sized sleeves. It should be perfectly reasonable for no blood to be visible. Plus, in the event he has his back to the camera, its even less potentially divisive.

Or, his Final Smash would be Nosebleed Tsunami.

Tell me that wouldn't be both awesome and hilarious. XD

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

The perfect way to make the most stoic samurai seem "uke" to fangirls. That seems like a great idea. :troll:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Plus, Smash Bros. and blood have never gone together. I don't think that's a huge thing, but Smash Bros. has always had the rating equivalent to our "E for Everyone" in Japan, and I'm not sure they'd want to risk that by adding in blood of any kind. (Then again, it's seen as more comedic there, so they might not think twice of it.)
Didn't Master Hand bleed when Tabuu attacked him?

I think I remember something about that in the first Sherlock Holmes novel. IIRC, the assassin got a nosebleed when killing the victim because he was too excited (not in a sexual way). So that's not a manga-only thing.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Didn't Master Hand bleed when Tabuu attacked him?

I think I remember something about that in the first Sherlock Holmes novel. IIRC, the assassin got a nosebleed when killing the victim because he was too excited (not in a sexual way). So that's not a manga-only thing.
He got little "generic cartoon scuffle" things on him, but I don't think there was blood.
It's debatable. The rating people probably considered it a bruise rather than blood.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
It's debatable. The rating people probably considered it a bruise rather than blood.
It was definatly scars and bruises.

Takamaru samurai dude seems like a decent retro rep. I wouldn't mind throwing stuff at stuff and swinging other stuff at stuff. There should be an event of Takamaru vs Link vs Marth vs Meta Knight. My life would be complete.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I think there's a good chance the Wii U version will get a Nintendo Land stage, so we might see some NL music anyway.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Odds are, Murasame Castle may have to borrow songs from other franchises. One comes to mind...

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Odd are, Murasame Castle may have to borrow songs from other franchises. One comes to mind...

Makes sense actually since Shin Onigashima is a Japanese exclusive Famicom title like NnM-J. And it could make up for the fact that Donbe would most likely be a trophy. My favorite track from Brawl's Summiy stage. Other great options for songs would be some Sakura Samurai and Yuyuki music.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Don't even talk about Sakura Samurai. The fact that they used new characters instead of Takamaru and co left a bad taste in my mouth. They wasted a perfect chance to revive Murasame Castle.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Don't even talk about Sakura Samurai. The fact that they used new characters instead of Takamaru and co left a bad taste in my mouth. They wasted a perfect chance to revive Murasame Castle.
I feel you, bro. I've felt the same way since Nintendo wanted to use it as a new IP ripping off Nazo no Murasame-Jo instead of being a spinoff to the series at least. Look on the bright side, Sakura Samurai could be an assist trophy while the real Takamaru can be playable. :troll:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Takamaru is going to have nosebleeds around girls, he might as well also being shown licking their eyeballs.

Another thing made famous in Japan.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If Takamaru is going to have nosebleeds around girls, he might as well also being shown licking their eyeballs.

Another thing made famous in Japan.
Well, the point is more that the nosebleeds are a part of his specific character established in Captain Rainbow.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Takamaru getting aroused around women, being a reference to Captain Rainbow, would be adorable and hilarious... it'll just have to be more subtly without any visible nosebleeds. Although I'm not expecting the reference, I do really like sleeve cover idea. I don't think they have to go specifically with the nosebleeds, as long as there's the general idea that he's aroused (it's enough of a shout out for me, but not sure about others). Well, some ideas:

- Like mentioned before, covering his face with his sleeves, implying a nosebleed
- Being embarrassed/uncomfortable and blushing in general
- Having a strand of hair stick straight up (probably too much of a sexual innuendo)
- You can probably do some symbolism with his katana (again, probably too much of an innuendo)
- You can do something more innocent. Perhaps during the victory pose, have him blush and flowers bloom in the background around him. Heck, instead of blood, make him spew out flower petals from his nose

:laugh: sorry I'm getting too carried away. I guess my point is that they don't have to go with actual nosebleeds, though I agree that they're established in his character in Captain Rainbow.

Smash is non-canon anyway, so if Takamaru gets in, I don't really mind what they do with his character, as long as he's tolerable. That being said, I can't really see them steer away from giving Takamaru a stereotypical honourable samurai personality. Who knows...

LF2K

Floor Diver
I think Takamaru should just have an unique idle animation near a woman. He might just stand their uncomfortably or something.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Why are we talking about Takamaru having generic anime boob-induced nosebleeds?

I think Takamaru can have plenty of character without having to resort to awful anime cliches.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Maybe Takamaru can use a nosebleed rocket to recover? :troll:

But agreed. Clichés are not fun in Smash.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I guess Smash does have its fair share of tropes already. If anything, the nosebleed would be a reference to Captain Rainbow.

I am tried of seeing nosebleed cliches though, which is another reason why I listed different examples on how to portray a similar scenario, especially if they don't want to be explicit. Something like this isn't for everyone however, so it's understandable.

On a different note, anyone have examples on what victory theme Takamaru would have?

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I guess Smash does have its fair share of tropes already. If anything, the nosebleed would be a reference to Captain Rainbow.

I am tried of seeing nosebleed cliches though, which is another reason why I listed different examples on how to portray a similar scenario, especially if they don't want to be explicit. Something like this isn't for everyone however, so it's understandable.

On a different note, anyone have examples on what victory theme Takamaru would have?
This one?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Nice choice, I completely forgot about Stage Clear. I'm wondering if there's anymore themes that could be used, just out of curiosity.

Other than Stage Clear, I could only think of them doing some remixes, or perhaps mash the overworld and castle theme... um... yeah, we really don't have much of a choice lol. Does Takamaru have a certain theme in Captain Rainbow or Samurai Warriors 3?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Nice choice, I completely forgot about Stage Clear. I'm wondering if there's anymore themes that could be used, just out of curiosity.

Other than Stage Clear, I could only think of them doing some remixes, or perhaps mash the overworld and castle theme... um... yeah, we really don't have much of a choice lol. Does Takamaru have a certain theme in Captain Rainbow or Samurai Warriors 3?
Not that I know of. No character in the Samurai Warriors games even had their own theme (They just remixed NnMJ's them for Murasame Mode's map) while Captain Rainbow's soundtrack is virtually unknown. They can choose to use the Stage Clear or just remix a snippet of the main theme a la Pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom