• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
My opinion:

B sheaths his sword, this neuters his standard A moves into basic karate/judo that's far less effective (and generally pretty weak).
B again when his sword is sheathed will draw the sword, if an opponent is hit (by the small hitbox) it's a quick, powerful killing blow with no drawback, but if it misses it has significant end lag. This will lead to his sheathing his sword again if you tap B again during the attack.
Holding B will cause Takamaru to draw his sword more slowly, not as an attack, but will take considerably less time than the end lag.

Kirby's version will not have the A neutering (balanced because Kirby lacks the stealth and projectiles Takamaru can use to force the opening) but will still retain the significant end lag if it misses.

One should think carefully about using the move, but it should be very effective if use correctly.

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
I think he should sheathe his katana between attacks to focus on projectiles like in NnMj, but not between every attack. There should be a small delay after each sword attack, during which another attack can be performed canceling the sheathe animation. If he doesn't perform an attack, or if he throws a projectile, he should sheathe it.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Oooo, i like the sheathing idea. It's something no one else does which makes him unique.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I agree that sheathing by default makes him more unique. If it was in fact part of his character, they could make it so it's hard to read which attack he's going to do if they all start with the same animation.

That would be pretty awesome, actually-- what if all of his Smash attacks started with the same animation: he puts his foot down in a powerful stance and then charges his attack in the sheathe before unleashing the smash in whatever direction? That would be fun, subtle, and unique.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I'd like it if he sheathed his sword for his fighting style. It'd probably be a ton of fun. It tends to look pretty cool whenever I see it in action.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Actually the idea his Smashes could all start the same sort of works with an idea I had. It didn't work quite the same way, where my idea was that he could chain a second attack (similar to Link's Fsmash) in any direction for a different attack each time.

(i.e., Fsmash immediately followed by an upward strike, or downward strike, etc.) I feel like in addition to shurikens that stick in the walls/ground/whatever, it could add a uniqueness to his game, a bit of style, and unpredictability.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Actually the idea his Smashes could all start the same sort of works with an idea I had. It didn't work quite the same way, where my idea was that he could chain a second attack (similar to Link's Fsmash) in any direction for a different attack each time.

(i.e., Fsmash immediately followed by an upward strike, or downward strike, etc.) I feel like in addition to shurikens that stick in the walls/ground/whatever, it could add a uniqueness to his game, a bit of style, and unpredictability.
I like that as well. He could also have something similar to Little Mac's forward Smash where you can choose if it's an upward slash, a horizontal slash, or a low slash.
So many options... I like imagining Takamaru in action.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
He can run on air for his Side Special for a limited time. Able to change direction from left to right.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I'm more concerned on him being included/not. Sakurai's done a pretty good job with existing characters.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Originally, I thought nothing of this character. Didn't really care if he got in, but this thread got me a bit hyped. I mean a moveset, based on what you wrote, his special could be some fire surrounding him (like the sun), his side special could be shurikens, his down special could be some sort of temp. invisibility and his recovery could... be... another... sword slash move... cool. (lol idrk)

No, but really, I think he'd be cool. He'd add diversity, really. Originally I only saw him as an assist.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I think he should sheathe his katana between attacks to focus on projectiles like in NnMj, but not between every attack. There should be a small delay after each sword attack, during which another attack can be performed canceling the sheathe animation. If he doesn't perform an attack, or if he throws a projectile, he should sheathe it.
This reminds me of the move set inspiration I cooked up on GAF and I totally agree with it. For reference, here it is:

You do not understand how badly I want this character in. I blame it on watching the totally awesome Kenshin vs. Sojiro fight from Rurouni Kenshin recently, but between that and brainstorming an idea for a "draw and sheathe" swords person for my own pet platform fighter idea, I don't see a situation where a samurai wouldn't bring some hype into the game. For example, I imagine a "gimmick" where one of Takamaru's specials (neutral B) could be dedicated to drawing or sheathing his sword. When drawn, it lets him use nimble sets of slashes for his moves but he wouldn't really have any knockout blows. When sheathed, his normals, tilts and Smashes get ridiculous knock back but a bit more startup as he draws (and sheathes) his blade for every move. What's more, maybe they could go a little further and have it so that pressing B during certain timings could let him quickly switch between a drawn stance and a sheathed stance during his offense or maybe just during his other B specials. Give him a throwing star projectile that has explosive effects and a lightning based move and he's good to go.
Making him rely more on magical moves for his B specials when the sword is sheathed sounds like great fun.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I've been brushing up on some history behind Murasame Castle's story. Apparently it takes place in the mid-1600's, since the shogun at the time was Tokugawa Ietsuna. Takamaru's not just retro, he's history, too. Hopefully Smash can work a little history into his moveset.

But he still can't match Mr. Game & Watch's oldness! :laugh:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I've been brushing up on some history behind Murasame Castle's story. Apparently it takes place in the mid-1600's, since the shogun at the time was Tokugawa Ietsuna. Takamaru's not just retro, he's history, too. Hopefully Smash can work a little history into his moveset.

But he still can't match Mr. Game & Watch's oldness! :laugh:
Obligatory Daitoryo comment here.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Movesets? Originality? PSH.

Obviously the most pressing question on everyone's minds is "Who's he going to get shipped with if/when he's announced?"

The obvious choices are damsels maidens, so Marth Nana. Yep.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

Obviously the most pressing question on everyone's minds is "Who's he going to get shipped with if/when he's announced?"

Takamaru x Marth as the Yaoi ship no one saw coming, and that took the Smash community by storm. :troll:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Takamarthu does have a pretty hilarious ring to it, and makes me feel like someone punched me in the teeth.

Alas.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Takamaru x Zelda (Takelda) because the concept of him stealing his brother's (Link) girlfriend is hilarious. :troll:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
**** like this is why Lyn should have been in the roster.

I mean, you heathens.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So, how do people vote that he uses the quickdraw technique? Should he...
1. Always have his sword sheathed except when he's attacking
2. Have a special that makes him sheathe it with other inputs doing special attacks
3. Be a stance based character and switch between sheathed/unsheathed?
I would sort of like the iaijutsu route, because it would better emphasis how Takamaru has incredibly fast sword skills.

Sheathe, unsheathe, and sheathe again is hard to do.

Also, it would also provide some leeway with the possibility of some martial arts like kicks.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah, and he wouldn't have to look quite so awkward putting his sword to the side when he wants to use his items since his hands would already be free. We don't really have characters that mix up sword/unarmed.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I like the idea of being sheathe and unsheathe, but realistically I see him being an all-out sword character a la Marth, even though he may have a few specials that don't involve his sword.
Doesn't mean he can't be incredibly unique though.
I think his specials could go something like this.

B: Sword Block (or whatever it's called)
Takamaru puts his sword in front of him to whack away projectiles coming near and Melee attacks from the front.

Side B: Fireball
Think Din's Fire, only no explosion. Faster yet smaller, less powerful yet more reliable.

Up B: Not too sure

Down B: Invisibility
We need an invisible character in Smash. We just do.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Like I said earlier, they should get an actor who can speak in an medieval Japanese dialect. That would suit Takamaru.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
He does Araragi Koyomi, Levi Rivaille and Trafalgar Law, all of my yes to that voice.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I can imagine Hiroshi Kamiya providing voice work for Takamaru.
Haha, I like this. Funnily enough, I was actually looking to see if any of the Smash characters were voiced by Senjougahara in JPN just to match the two. /dork

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Hmm...I personally imagined Takamaru to sound much more controlled, but I imagine that the voice actor can do that, just the same.
A much more calmed voice of him, maybe the scene doesn't help but was the only one I could find where he speaks a lot.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Err, Takamaru is afraid of women, isn't he? :confused:
Takamaru isn't afraid of women, his problem is that he gets too excited near women, and gets extreme nosebleeds that causes him to blackout. This only applies to the Captain Rainbow continuity though, and you do have the option to fix his problem like any other character.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Considering I think Marth will likely also be dubbed in English now, it would be interesting to have Takamaru speaking Japanese. After all, he's a samurai.

I can imagine Hiroshi Kamiya providing voice work for Takamaru.
The same VA as Levi from Attack on Titan? Wouldn't be a bad choice for Takamaru. The actor could pull off a calm, stoic demeanor that fits Takamaru well.

However, he's already voiced by another actor in Samurai Warriors 3 (Hiroshi Okamoto), so he might reprise the role for this game if Takamaru joins the roster.

Wait, he does voice acting?
You're probably confusing the VA Hiroshi Kamiya with video game designer Hideki Kamiya who works at Platinum Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom