• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's Combat Against Hacking

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
One of the biggest problems in my eyes for Brawl+ is that it is strongly frowned upon by Nintendo, and they are doing everything they can do stop homebrew from being used on the Wii. Every time they release a firmware update for the Wii it gets harder and harder to install the homebrew channel, and they blackmail people to update it with not allowing access to the Wii Shop Channel or even new games coming out unless the system is fully updated.

If Nintendo continues to release updates blocking the homebrew channel and other things, how can we really expect this project to continue in full force and prosper?

Almas

Smash Lord
The game thing can actually be worked around with the use of certain homebrew apps/pc software that only extract the files important for running the game. But you raise a valid point. I'm sure it will turn out alright in the end though. Who would want any other games on the Wii anyway? ;p.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Isn't an Action Replay going to be release for Wii soon? And if so, can't all of these codes be translated over to that? If so, that may increase the popularity of Brawl+ tenfold, since hacking won't be required anymore.

D

Deleted member

but doesn't action replay require you to buy something?

KishSquared

Smash Master
It requires you to buy an Action Replay... do you have any idea how many Action Replays were purchased for Melee? There were like 20 copies floating around at FC. Almost everyone had one at one point.

Besides, I think it's only $30. Lots of people would prefer to spend $30 on an AR rather than hack their Wii. It completely eliminates the fear factor. Frankly, I'd probably do it if I could, the whole updating thing is really annoying with Homebrew loaded.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
an action replay was already tried to be made for wii, then nintendo made a firmware update that stopped the use of it.

D

Deleted member

30 dollars, by now you should be able to get a 2gig card for like 6 bucks (here you can buy 8 gig cards for 15 euros)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea its cheaper then that, but ur missing the point cape... nintendo keeps releasing updates to try and block the installation of the homebrew, and everytime they do they have to make another workaround and wait for a new version of the HBC. whos to say they will always be able to make a new version? theyv already blocked it like 3 times or so now. i still havnt updated my wii since like october, and im missing out on some stuff

D

Deleted member

when bootmii will be out we don't have to worry about updates, ever.

D

Deleted member

I don't really know the details, but I know it takes over the system the very moment it's possible, and avoiding any system updates in this way

Nakamaru

Smash Master
I'm sure nintendo will eventually figure out a way even past that if they care about it that much. i'm not sure how great of a threat this is, and it seems that no matter how hard nintendo tries something just as good pops up to counter it.

The only thing i can see as being a problem with this is the whole updating of new software to be able to play brawl+. It may deter a few people who just don't feel like updating every random time just to be able to play.

To bad this is kind of a "wait and see" deal. : /

The Cape

Smash Master
Brawl+ is the only real reason I still have my Wii. I almost sold it after Brawl tanked.

So I will not be updating, and if it does, I just reformat. :-p

Top Bottom