• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's ace pilots take flight! Time to Switch gears for the Ultimate Battle! Pilotwings for Smash Ultimate!

Which Pilot Wings character(s) would you like to see in Smash?

• Total voters

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys. Just wanted to give the thread a bump. Also, I wanted to ask if anyone remembers my moveset I made for Lark a while back. If so, you might remember that Kiwi (also from PW64) was an alt. skin for Lark. I came up with this idea for the sake of saving up on PW character repping.

But now that clones in Ultimate have a WAAAY better rep, do you guys think Kiwi should be an Echo of Lark instead? Or maybe Goose? What do you all think?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hey, guys. Just wanted to give the thread a bump. Also, I wanted to ask if anyone remembers my moveset I made for Lark a while back. If so, you might remember that Kiwi (also from PW64) was an alt. skin for Lark. I came up with this idea for the sake of saving up on PW character repping.

But now that clones in Ultimate have a WAAAY better rep, do you guys think Kiwi should be an Echo of Lark instead? Or maybe Goose? What do you all think?
I think Kiwi should be an Echo Fighter for Lark, she was the female lightweight pilot in Pilotwings 64 after all. (On a similar note a friend and I talked about the possibility of the Flight Instructors being an Echo Fighter for Solid Snake since the Flight Club is a secret organization for good in the SNES Pilotwings.)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Goose can't work because of his tall skeleton heavily contrasting from Lark's.

Kiwi however works the best and I wouldn't mind her.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
While I think Goose is the coolest character from PilotWings, I agree that Kiwi works better as a Lark clone.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, High-Flying Heroes...

I believe that you'll want to read this - Nintendo's apparently grabbed a new Pilotwings trademark in Japan. :D

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
So, High-Flying Heroes...

I believe that you'll want to read this - Nintendo's apparently grabbed a new Pilotwings trademark in Japan. :D
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this game will be released and have new student pilot characters. (Or it's a Pilotwings spinoff air racing game.)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this game will be released and have new student pilot characters. (Or it's a Pilotwings spinoff air racing game.)
Or (and I know this is sort of a pipe dream...) maybe a playable PW character in Smash Ultimate?

I'm just saying, various Nintendo IPs series like Sin and Punishment recently got "re-trademarked" around the same time as Ultimate, and at the current moment, I don't think there's anything we could logically place Sin and Punishment in right now (unless the Switch's online thing is already involving N64 games, which I kind of doubt.), and Saki himself hasn't been seen in Ultimate yet, so...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, I've been in a bit of PW mood, and I'm wondering... how do you all see a PW character reveal trailer working out this time around?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I actually want Light Plane if that's not frowned upon
I take it you want to be added to the support list? No prob, but... out of curiosity, when you say you want the Light Plane, do you mean... as a playable character...? I mean, it's certainly not frowned upon, I'm just wondering...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I sure did, ya got me, and it was also a little subtle nudge to add me as a supporter.
Sorry, I guess I have a bit of trouble reading into things like that...:lol:

Anyways, UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin ... you're officially an honorary "High-Flying Hero"! Congratulations!

BTW, I just wanted to let everyone in on an update... the Pilotwings for Smash thread is now at 37 supporters!!:b: Let's keep soaring to new heights!;)

Also, I've made an update to my moveset for Lark. I've now 'promoted' Kiwi from serving as a simple model swap of Lark to being Lark's 'Echo Fighter'.

JadeBladeGamer22

Smash Cadet
I take it you want to be added to the support list? No prob, but... out of curiosity, when you say you want the Light Plane, do you mean... as a playable character...? I mean, it's certainly not frowned upon, I'm just wondering...
I do mean as a fighter because I feel like it would be an interesting and diverse fighter

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I do mean as a fighter because I feel like it would be an interesting and diverse fighter
Ah, I see. Well, JadeBladeGamer22 JadeBladeGamer22 ... you're officially an honorary "High-Flying Hero"! Congratulations!

Actually, if you don't mind me asking, how do you picture the Light Plane working as a playable character in Smash? Not trying to call you out or anything, I'm just genuinely curious.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Sorry, I guess I have a bit of trouble reading into things like that...:lol:

Anyways, UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin ... you're officially an honorary "High-Flying Hero"! Congratulations!

BTW, I just wanted to let everyone in on an update... the Pilotwings for Smash thread is now at 37 supporters!!:b: Let's keep soaring to new heights!;)

Also, I've made an update to my moveset for Lark. I've now 'promoted' Kiwi from serving as a simple model swap of Lark to being Lark's 'Echo Fighter'.
Awesome, I love the idea of Kiwi being Lark's Echo Fighter. (And I would probably main both her and Bandana Dee if they both got into Smash.)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Awesome, I love the idea of Kiwi being Lark's Echo Fighter. (And I would probably main both her and Bandana Dee if they both got into Smash.)
Hey, thanks! After the way Echoes have so well-received, I figured why not promote Kiwi to being one as well? At least now people are aware of how Echoes aren't anything that take up too much development time.

Also, I've still got faith that Bandana Waddle Dee will be playable in Ultimate. Honestly? Unlike with Lark/Kiwi, I feel as if Ultimate's roster won't be TRULY complete until he and Dixie Kong are added to the game.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I feel bad that this great thread isn’t getting more attention. The character concept is great and unique, it brings up an underrated gem of a franchise, and you seem to know what you’re talking about in regards to Pilot Wings. Hopefully this and Endless Ocean can get more attention, so bump.

Seriously SmashBoards really needs like a Thread Graveyard or something to try to bring publicity to the smaller threads that basically die out after a few posts

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
PilotWings and Panel De Pon suffers similar fates, really.

The series seem to change the cast in each installment, and the only thing true to the respected franchises is the core mechanic.
That's what suffers the more, but what PDP has that PW does not have is that "one" character that you instantly recognize as the hero/main character.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I feel bad that this great thread isn’t getting more attention. The character concept is great and unique, it brings up an underrated gem of a franchise, and you seem to know what you’re talking about in regards to Pilot Wings. Hopefully this and Endless Ocean can get more attention, so bump.

Seriously SmashBoards really needs like a Thread Graveyard or something to try to bring publicity to the smaller threads that basically die out after a few posts
Hey, thanks! While I really love all the retro/obscure/Japan-only stuff and would LOVE to see such things represented in Smash, I guess Pilotwings just holds a special place in my heart for being the first thread I ever made on SmashBoards.

BTW, when I mentioned my love for the retro/obscure/Japan-only, I was also including Endless Ocean in that list! Seriously, that series feels underappreciated, IMO. It's practically the Pilotwings of 'sea-faring games'. Nintendo could use that series of games as launch titles (not unlike what they've done with PW over the years) to showcase the water-based environment effects.

In fact, I'm surprised Endless Ocean STILL has virtually NO reference to it in Smash. Like, I was REALLY expecting about a song or two from that series to play on the Wuhu Island stage. Is it because a majority of the music in those games are licensed or something?

PilotWings and Panel De Pon suffers similar fates, really.

The series seem to change the cast in each installment, and the only thing true to the respected franchises is the core mechanic.
That's what suffers the more, but what PDP has that PW does not have is that "one" character that you instantly recognize as the hero/main character.
I'd say PdP has it worse, considering how poor little Lip and her fairy friends STILL haven't been properly introduced to the rest of the world outside of Japan. Although, I understand what you mean by how PW doesn't seem to have one character instantly recognizable among the PW cast (with the closest thing being Lark and Goose), whereas PdP at least has Lip (and technically Yoshi, Pikachu, and Isabelle... :rolleyes:)

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hey, thanks! While I really love all the retro/obscure/Japan-only stuff and would LOVE to see such things represented in Smash, I guess Pilotwings just holds a special place in my heart for being the first thread I ever made on SmashBoards.

BTW, when I mentioned my love for the retro/obscure/Japan-only, I was also including Endless Ocean in that list! Seriously, that series feels underappreciated, IMO. It's practically the Pilotwings of 'sea-faring games'. Nintendo could use that series of games as launch titles (not unlike what they've done with PW over the years) to showcase the water-based environment effects.

In fact, I'm surprised Endless Ocean STILL has virtually NO reference to it in Smash. Like, I was REALLY expecting about a song or two from that series to play on the Wuhu Island stage. Is it because a majority of the music in those games are licensed or something?

I'd say PdP has it worse, considering how poor little Lip and her fairy friends STILL haven't been properly introduced to the rest of the world outside of Japan. Although, I understand what you mean by how PW doesn't seem to have one character instantly recognizable among the PW cast (with the closest thing being Lark and Goose), whereas PdP at least has Lip (and technically Yoshi, Pikachu, and Isabelle... :rolleyes:)
Yeah, PdP has it kinda worst in that it got reskinned as Tetris Attack in the US and never got rereleased as it's original version later on. I agree with both Crap-Zapper and Smashkirby that the Pilotwings series has no one main hero with Lark and Goose being the closest to it. (And Lark partly because Nintendo Power said he was actually Nester which is pretty cool to be honest.) Heck, the most memorable characters from the SNES Pilotwings were the instructors who weren't playable.

I second the remark in that Pilotwings holds a special place in my Nintendo-loving heart. Heck, if it wasn't for PW 64, I might not have overcome my fears and started playing video games. :)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys. I know I've brought this up before, but considering the recent trademark renewals of series like Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Sin and Punishment, Elite Beat Agents, and Pilotwings itself, do you think all of these series will have a bigger role to play in Smash Ultimate than just stages from their series?

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Hey, guys. I know I've brought this up before, but considering the recent trademark renewals of series like Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Sin and Punishment, Elite Beat Agents, and Pilotwings itself, do you think all of these series will have a bigger role to play in Smash Ultimate than just stages from their series?
Maybe, though I wouldn’t count on it. Many will most likely have assists like Sin and Punishment had for the previous two entries.

Obviously Pilot Wings has a stage
Sin and Punishment has an assist trophy
Rhythm Heaven had enemies in Smash Run, so maybe Smash Run will return?

If I were to take some more guesses though, I would say that Isaac may have the highest chance of being a character due to all the speculation, maybe with a Matthew echo?

Otherwise, Nintendo is probably just renewing licenses, they already did it with Endless Ocean, which I highly doubt will get anything in Smash at this point, so my guess is that Elite Beat Agents and EO aren’t going to show up. Elite Beat Agents would be more likely to appear though, maybe as a new whacky assist trophy.

Otherwise, there was that prediction that stickers may return....

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So... for those who don't know, Spirits are confirmed to be a collectible/gameplay element for Ultimate. How are we all feeling about the possibility of any PW characters being Spirits? Personally, I feel like the SNES and PW64 casts will appear in this medium.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
So... for those who don't know, Spirits are confirmed to be a collectible/gameplay element for Ultimate. How are we all feeling about the possibility of any PW characters being Spirits? Personally, I feel like the SNES and PW64 casts will appear in this medium.
Yeah, I hope so too. It'd make a lot of sense.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah, I hope so too. It'd make a lot of sense.
Speaking of which, what do you all see happening as a Spirit Battle?

Personally, I see Lark possessing Pit, with the condition of Pit permanently wearing a Rocket Belt and he'd have even better jumping height. I have a couple more if you all want to hear them.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Speaking of which, what do you all see happening as a Spirit Battle?

Personally, I see Lark possessing Pit, with the condition of Pit permanently wearing a Rocket Belt and he'd have even better jumping height. I have a couple more if you all want to hear them.
I'd love to hear them, bring out all of your ideas for Spirit Battles! :)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd love to hear them, bring out all of your ideas for Spirit Battles! :)
Well, first things first... I should mention everyone will be equipped with the Rocket Belt. That being said...

Lark - Pit will wear his blond-haired alt, spams his Power of Flight up special from time to time, and will have a tendency to taunt a LOT (referencing Nester's tendency to be a total show-off).

Kiwi - Isabelle wears her pink outfit, spams her Balloon Trip up special occasionally, and has lighter weight as well.

Goose - Captain Falcon gets better jumping height, moves even faster, has a tendency to taunt (though not as much as Lark-Pit), and Guile is a permanently activated AT.

Ibis - Zero Suit Samus wears her green alt., moves faster than usual, and she can jump 4 times rather than 2.

Hawk - Snake wears his new shiny jet black alt. and has a tendency to spam his up special, even when he wouldn't need to do it.

Hooter (Robin) - Palutena wears her blue alt., performs her side and down taunts a lot, and occasionally spams her wing-based attacks.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Well, first things first... I should mention everyone will be equipped with the Rocket Belt. That being said...

Lark - Pit will wear his blond-haired alt, spams his Power of Flight up special from time to time, and will have a tendency to taunt a LOT (referencing Nester's tendency to be a total show-off).

Kiwi - Isabelle wears her pink outfit, spams her Balloon Trip up special occasionally, and has lighter weight as well.

Goose - Captain Falcon gets better jumping height, moves even faster, has a tendency to taunt (though not as much as Lark-Pit), and Guile is a permanently activated AT.

Ibis - Zero Suit Samus wears her green alt., moves faster than usual, and she can jump 4 times rather than 2.

Hawk - Snake wears his new shiny jet black alt. and has a tendency to spam his up special, even when he wouldn't need to do it.

Hooter (Robin) - Palutena wears her blue alt., performs her side and down taunts a lot, and occasionally spams her wing-based attacks.
You know I think Goose and Ibis would at least be happy they could help out Captain Falcon and Samus even if they are spirits. Heck, I'd think seeing that F-Zero and Pilotwings were launch titles on the SNES Falcon would know the Flight Club pretty well. (Though I think Goose would be even more psyched to help out Guile since they're true blue Americans. ;)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I know, right. You'd think the Great Reptile Promotions of Summer 2018 would encourage more movement towards supporting lesser-noticed characters.

That being said, have some highly-flattering artwork from ProfessorFandango:

https://www.deviantart.com/professorfandango/art/SMASH-150-159-LARK-753079510
https://www.deviantart.com/professorfandango/art/SMASH-150-088-ROBIN-727812298

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
It brings me to tears to see how many votes Lark got. :')

I'm glad the game isn't forgotten.
I'm just glad that there are other fans because I became a fan of these characters and the series back in 1997 and I can remember times when I was the only fan of Pilotwings trying to find others online who were fans and finding nobody until I came to Smashboards.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
I'm just glad that there are other fans because I became a fan of these characters and the series back in 1997 and I can remember times when I was the only fan of Pilotwings trying to find others online who were fans and finding nobody until I came to Smashboards.
Definitely, even more when people are aware of Lark's true identity, haha

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It brings me to tears to see how many votes Lark got. :')

I'm glad the game isn't forgotten.
I take it that I can put you on the support list...?

I know, right. You'd think the Great Reptile Promotions of Summer 2018 would encourage more movement towards supporting lesser-noticed characters.

That being said, have some highly-flattering artwork from ProfessorFandango:

https://www.deviantart.com/professorfandango/art/SMASH-150-159-LARK-753079510
https://www.deviantart.com/professorfandango/art/SMASH-150-088-ROBIN-727812298
Fantastic art on both <3
Oh, I've seen these! It's nice to see modern fanart of any members of the PW64 cast!

Definitely, even more when people are aware of Lark's true identity, haha
I've been wondering... whenever people find out about Lark's true identity of being Nester (the mascot of Nintendo Power magazine), does he end up being any more the popular for it...?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace

Oh, I've seen these! It's nice to see modern fanart of any members of the PW64 cast!

I've been wondering... whenever people find out about Lark's true identity of being Nester (the mascot of Nintendo Power magazine), does he end up being any more the popular for it...?
I hope so! Heck even back in 1997 I found out Lark was actually Nester which made me interested in his comic series. (And let's be frank, the rest of the PW 64 crew would have probably ended up replacing Howard after he left Nintendo.) I even wrote to Nintendo by e-mail back then that the Pilotwings 64 characters should have more exposure. ;)

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
Heck yeah!

I'd like to think Lark himself is much more popular then Nester.. His identity as Nester just adds to the value, I think.

Top Bottom