• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Since this thread is going to the next page, I might as well post what I said here.

If "Super Smash Bros. Switch" ("Super Smash Bros. Swift") is to be made as an enhanced port of "Smash 4" for the Nintendo Switch, there are many problems that need to be fixed.

- FIX THE DARN TOP KO RANDOMNESS PLEASE (and no random tripping from "Brawl" please)! Seriously, the randomness on those top KOs (even if they're not truly random) is very bad for the metagame, especially in last stock situations. Make the Star KOs/Screen KOs occur for on-stage moves and upward Blast KOs occur for off-stage moves, even on Training Mode. That way, there would be no unfair wins or losses, as well as unfair punishes, and the matches would go much more smoother, even if it isn't 100% perfect.
- Fix the random untechable spin animation (100% damage or more)! Same reason as said above!
- Add voice clips for certain characters (such as Villager, Mega Man and Pac-Man) when they get Star KO'd. For Villager, add a sound effect for when he/she gets hit by an item from "Mario Kart 8". For Mega Man, add the voice clip when he dies from "Mega Man 8". For Pac-Man, add the dying sound effect from a very old arcade "Pac-Man" game.
- The Rage mechanic should only be in play from 100% damage up to 150% damage (VERY UNLIKELY), and it should be a factor on Training Mode.
- Crowd cheers quality should be improved, and the crowd should chant 8 times when the character is at 100% damage or more.
- Cloud victory fanfare ("Final Fantasy VII") should only last about 4 seconds, then maybe end it abrupt (NOT HAPPENING UNFORTUNATELY).

For every other problem (especially online, as people are just rude and rage quitting, and the random opponent picking), fix them please!

----------

If this game is going to intentionally have more characters on the roster, add Dixie Kong and Pichu. Dixie Kong is just as agile (but slower) as Diddy Kong. Pichu hasn't been seen in any "Smash" game since "Melee". Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario were brought back from "Melee", so why not Pichu too? And if possible, maybe Snake (though he is dead now, due to accelerated aging), Wolf, and Ice Climbers can be brought back from "Brawl" too, along with Ivysaur and Squirtle (without Pokémon Trainer). Obviously, Young Link from "Melee" won't be brought back because he was replaced by Toon Link from "Brawl".

Obviously, keep all the DLC characters!

----------

Add more features from the previous "Smash" games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't go overboard with what to expect based on what you saw in the trailer, especially pertaining to game footage.
Mass Effect Andromeda is NOT coming to Switch at all

Last edited by a moderator:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Since this thread is going to the next page, I might as well post what I said here.

If "Super Smash Bros. Switch" ("Super Smash Bros. Swift") is to be made as an enhanced port of "Smash 4" for the Nintendo Switch, there are many problems that need to be fixed.

- FIX THE DARN TOP KO RANDOMNESS PLEASE (and no random tripping from "Brawl" please)! Seriously, the randomness on those top KOs (even if they're not truly random) is very bad for the metagame, especially in last stock situations. Make the Star KOs/Screen KOs occur for on-stage moves and upward Blast KOs occur for off-stage moves, even on Training Mode. That way, there would be no unfair wins or losses, as well as unfair punishes, and the matches would go much more smoother, even if it isn't 100% perfect.
- Add voice clips for certain characters (such as Villager, Mega Man and Pac-Man) when they get Star KO'd. For Villager, add a voice clip for screaming. For Mega Man, add the voice clip when he dies from "Mega Man 8". For Pac-Man, add the dying sound effect from a very old arcade "Pac-Man" game.
- The Rage mechanic should only be in play from 100% damage up to 150% damage (VERY UNLIKELY), and it should be a factor on Training Mode.
- Crowd cheers quality should be improved, and the crowd should chant 8 times when the character is at 100% damage or more.
- Cloud victory fanfare ("Final Fantasy VII") should only last about 4 seconds, then maybe end it abrupt.

For every other problem (especially online, as people are just rude and rage quitting, and the random opponent picking), fix them please!

----------

If this game is going to intentionally have more characters on the roster (very unlikely), add Dixie Kong and Pichu. Dixie Kong is just as agile (but slower) as Diddy Kong. Pichu hasn't been seen in any "Smash" game since "Melee". Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario were brought back from "Melee", so why not Pichu too? And if possible, maybe Snake (though he is dead now, due to accelerated aging), Wolf, and Ice Climbers can be brought back from "Brawl" too, along with Ivysaur and Squirtle (without Pokémon Trainer). Obviously, Young Link from "Melee" won't be brought back because he was replaced by Toon Link from "Brawl".

Obviously, keep all the DLC characters!

----------

Add more features from the previous "Smash" games.
You think it's more likely they change the mechanics than simply add characters to what will likely be an enhanced port? Seems kind of backwards to me.

Also why would they add Brawl tripping?

Plus Cloud's fanfare isn't a "problem" so much as it's a reference to the FFVII victory fanfare, which also loops.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
You think it's more likely they change the mechanics than simply add characters to what will likely be an enhanced port? Seems kind of backwards to me.

Also why would they add Brawl tripping?

Plus Cloud's fanfare isn't a "problem" so much as it's a reference to the FFVII victory fanfare, which also loops.
I can understand the Rage mechanic not being changed, but it still should be a factor on Training Mode. I honestly don't have a problem with it. Sadly, some others do, which is why I suggested it in the first place. Now the top KO randomness, the developers REALLY need to fix it so that the game can be more balanced. It's like the random tripping from "Brawl", but worse.

About the characters, if the game was to intentionally add at least 1 last new character (enhanced port), I think Dixie Kong would make a great addition. I saw her on the roster from a leaked image/footage before she was taken out.

Now bringing back the characters from "Brawl" that were cut from the Wii U/3DS one (especially the 3DS one, as Ice Climbers were removed because of limitations) and one from "Melee" (Pichu) is probably what would happen if it was intended. If this is going to be the last "Smash" game in the series, then those characters should be brought back (enhanced port). Honestly, I don't want "Smash 5".

There's always a chance something that was fixed before can accidentally be brought back. Always good to remind the developers.

In "Final Fantasy VII", there's a scene at Junon where Cloud does his special pose and the victory fanfare plays the first 4 seconds but leaves out the looping. That's actually the reason why I suggested it. Sure, it's not really a problem, but I feel that this victory theme doesn't need to be the longest one out of the others. Victory themes are usually very short.

Last edited:
In "Final Fantasy VII", there's a scene at Junon where Cloud does his special pose and the victory fanfare plays the first 4 seconds but leaves out the looping. That's actually the reason why I suggested it. Sure, it's not really a problem, but I feel that this victory theme doesn't need to be the longest one out of the others. Victory themes are usually very short.
"even though it happens like this 4 billion times elsewhere im going to choose to base it off this one obscure time"

Cloud's victory theme is so long because it's a super iconic victory theme. Changing it ouwld be dumb and make a character less unique with no benefit.

:061:

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
"even though it happens like this 4 billion times elsewhere im going to choose to base it off this one obscure time"

Cloud's victory theme is so long because it's a super iconic victory theme. Changing it would be dumb and make a character less unique with no benefit.

In other words, it cannot be shortened. That is rather unfortunate.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I can understand the Rage mechanic not being changed, but it still should be a factor on Training Mode. I honestly don't have a problem with it. Sadly, some others do, which is why I suggested it in the first place. Now the top KO randomness, the developers REALLY need to fix it so that the game can be more balanced. It's like the random tripping from "Brawl", but worse.
Literally the first time I've heard this complaint. Meanwhile the furor tripping caused was (deservedly) extremely pervasive.

About the characters, if the game was to intentionally add at least 1 last new character (enhanced port), I think Dixie Kong would make a great addition. I saw her on the roster from a leaked image/footage before she was taken out.
Dixie is a cool character and I'd be happy to get her, but whatever you saw was fake. There's no real evidence Dixie was ever planned for Smash 4 and there's no pics of her from Brawl. Feel free to share the image/footage though.

Now bringing back the characters from "Brawl" that were cut from the Wii U/3DS one (especially the 3DS one, as Ice Climbers were removed because of limitations) and one from "Melee" (Pichu) is probably what would happen if it was intended. If this is going to be the last "Smash" game in the series, then those characters should be brought back (enhanced port). Honestly, I don't want "Smash 5".

There's always a chance something that was fixed before can accidentally be brought back. Always good to remind the developers.
I could see ICs and Wolf being brought back, but I'm doubtful of the others. Afawk they've never attempted to bring Pichu back and I doubt they do now, especially with Gen VII being the hot thing nowadays.

And this isn't going to be the last Smash, the series makes too much money.

It's not any longer, it's just the part that loops is from FF7 as opposed to Smash. Because it's iconic and whatnot. Personally I don't see the big deal either way.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
People keep mentioning it on the thread, so I will address it:
The Switch will have a new Smash Bros game. There was never any doubt about it. Whether or not the system has an enhanced port of Smash 4 is another matter. If it does, don't expect drastic gameplay changes. Heck, it might not even have a balance update.

So again: We WILL get a new Smash Bros game. The question is whether we get Smash 4 ported to the Switch, or heck, even get a remade game like Melee HD (please let it happen and be worth the hype).

Heck, with all the talk of a Nintendo Esports Circuit and possibly Nintendo games being featured on the ESL circuit (ESL is the big dog of esports btw), Having the ultimate edition of Smash 4, Melee HD, and Smash Bros Switch CLASH (it needs to be called that!) on the Switch at the same time could feasibly happen. It also would be incredibly hype.
-Try to tweak the game so Rage at high percentages (for the attacker) doesn't get KO's so early.
-Make Jigglypuff Melee and/or Smash 64 Jigglypuff again. The Brawl/Smash 4 design is terrible. Also, give way more range and make it have more knockback than Cloud's Limit Break so it can actually get KO's.
-Make all of Zelda's moves have 3 frames less startup and 3-6 frames less cooldown.
-Give Ganondorf 10% extra range on all of his moves + 20% more weight + 2-4 frames of less cooldown on all moves. Also, make Warlock Punch and up Tilt do 50% more knockback so they KO much earlier.
-Give Shulk 10% extra range on all of his moves + give all of his moves 2 less frames of startup and 3 less frames of cooldown.
-Give gigantic buffs to all 3 Mii Fighters, King Dedede, Wii Fit Trainer, Charizard and Bowser Jr..
-Give major buffs to Falco, Samus, Roy, Link, Samus, Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Pac-Man and Palutena.
-Give big buffs to Luigi, Ike, Mr. Game & Watch, Lucas and Wario.
-Give minor buffs to Marth, Lucina, Olimar, R.O.B., Pit, Dark Pit, Donkey Kong, Greninja, Robin, Captain Falcon, Peach and Yoshi.
-Complement the nerf to knockback and damage at high percentages with rage by keeping Lucario at approximately the same level of play.
-Combine the stagelist of Smash Wii U and 3DS.
-Add a frozen stage option in addition to Omega Mode for all stages where there are no stage transformations or changes.
-Combined all the game modes of Smash Wii U and 3DS.
-If possible, re-add Target Tests in a manner similar to Brawl's Target Tests.
-If possible, bring back Wolf, Ice Climbers and Snake from Brawl. Heck bringing back Squirtle, Ivysaur and Pichu would be cool too to have the full past Smash casts in Smash 4.
-If possible, have a graphics/art design team dedicated to creating DLC outfits for the entire cast that can be bought on the eshop, purchasing Smash 3DS and/or Wii U, and possibly even unlocked by playing the game online. Perhaps you could tie this to esports, by having esports-related skins for characters (ie: Fox having a NAKAT CLG skin, Sheik having a ZeRo TSM skin, etc), possibly akin to what League of Legends, Smite, Counter-Strike, etc do.
-Expand the stagelist for 5-8 player Smash (if possible) for the home console variant of the Switch.
-Allow data transfer from Smash 3DS and Wii U.
Literally the first time I've heard this complaint. Meanwhile the furor tripping caused was (deservedly) extremely pervasive.
Rage is wayyyyy too strong, and you hear top Smash 4 players complain about it all the time. Every Smash tournament I've gone to for Smash 4 I hear a complaint about it, and damn near all of them are justified, especially when Lucario is involved.

While rage probably belongs in the game given the game design, it is too strong.
So the breakdown on benchmarks for future reference looks like this:

Wii U - 324 Gflops
X1 - 512 Gflops
X2 - 750 Gflops
PS4 - 1840 Glfops
Pro - 4200 Gflops

Which is sensible.
Gigaflops is again not really important as a solo statistic. The Pro has more, yes, but the GPU is still weaker than a GTX 950 and about as strong as a GTX 580, despite having more teraflops than my GTX 1070 (which can run Overwatch at a higher average framerate at 4k with extreme settings than a PS4 can at 1080p, and maybe a PS4 Pro as well).

Also, again, a lot of what anyone here or elsewhere is saying is based on assumption. I'm literally just throwing out one theory based on how Nvidia does things. Nvidia always makes a resolution a goal; the GTX 970 and 980 were aimed at toppling 1080p (and both cards did that), the GTX 1070 and 1080 were aimed at toppling 1440p and destroying 1080p (and both cards did that).

Nvidia and Nintendo could pull anything out, from console customization, custom graphics card use, a dedicated home console GPU, to again, a separate CPU. There's a ton in play, and Nvidia has openly stated it will be a custom GPU that is very different than the one found in the smartphones it is usually used for. There's a potential for just about anything to happen in this console.

Additionally that article mentioned all kinds of things that could happen. There's so much that could happen. Heck, I might be able to put my GTX 1070 in the dock of the Switch. We don't know anything about the inner parts of the console other than it has a Tegra chip in it, the games come in cartridges and likely store patches and DLC on them, and like all computer parts it has a motherboard.

Let's be honest: you and me are bull spitting this, 100%, with interjections! :laugh:
Reason I bring this up is cause people see Skyrim in and assume that that means the Switch MUST be as powerful as the PS4, but the remaster is still weaker than Skyrim in on PC at max settings and mods, which came out 3 years ago, and the PS3, and 360, both of which were weaker than the Wii U also ran Skyrim in just fine. There is no evidence to support that Switch is able to run the remaster, let alone at the same settings as PS4.
The Xbox 360 and PS3 did not run Skyrim fine whatsoever. I won the PC and Xbox 360 versions of Skyrim, and on the PC on my graphics card-less laptop run the game at better than 720p at about 70 fps average at mid-high settings. The 360 version of Skyrim runs the game at basically the lowest settings at 720p, and supposedly gets 30 fps, but damn near every time i play it, the game runs at about or worse than the frame rate of Ocarina of Time (20 fps), which IMO is unplayable in regards to combat. The PS3 version of Skyrim is riddled with bugs, has tons of performance issues, and likely is even worse than the 360 port. Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 port also are riddled with terribly long loading times.

Of course it doesn't help Skyrim (and Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4, and Dishonored) all run on the same engine as Oblivion (an unoptimized engine on all systems that is awful for video games, especially consoles [on PC it is really only terrible for Fallout 4 and Oblivion], and should be dumped), but let's not pretend the Xbox 360 or PS3 ports were any good. (Don't get me started on Fallout 4's awful optimization by the way. I can write essays on it!)

Also, no one is expecting Skyrim max settings/1080p performance even in Skyrim HD on the PS4 Pro or Xbox One. Consoles simply put won't be able to handle that until they cost $600 or more next year (and are worthy of that price tag). What would be expected is 60fps/mid settings for any home console at 1080p, and performance a bit better than the PS3 or Xbox 360 for the mobile mode of the Switch (hopefully a consistent 30 fps or higher at 720p).

Again, it's unreasonable to compare a mobile chip to dedicated computers running two processors. The Switch will be a powerful mobile device (powerful enough to give Nintendo the added benefit of consolidating their in house studios into one device) and it better market itself as such, otherwise it's gonna be torn apart when compared to its competitors, or simply brushed off as another underpowered gimmick console.
All computer devices on the open market are gimmicks, since they are all "a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business."
Oh yeah, I also wanna add John, that Nvidia uses ARM CPU cores in their chips, which is a different architecture from the x86 and "POWER PC" used by the PS4, Xbone, and PC's. Meaning that due to the difference in architecture between the CPU cores on these platforms, porting games to the Switch will be considerably more difficult than porting them between the three main platforms. x86 has been the Windows standard since like forever, and it's what the Wii U used as well (that's why Wii U emulation is coming along so smoothly so quickly).
I'm sure Nintendo and Nvidia wouldn't be doing this if there wasn't a way to use Nvidia drivers to port games easily from a PC base to this. This is supposed to be the console that bridges the PC market and the mobile device market in a video game console, and I am sure Nvidia and Nintendo wouldn't make this jump without realizing the need to have technology in place to allow for an easy jump for this.

I highly doubt Nvidia and Nintendo would overlook this without a solution.

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Fixed that for you.
...Okay, I did not like being corrected that time, but whatever. I will make mistakes, but they're mine to make.
Dixie is a cool character and I'd be happy to get her, but whatever you saw was fake. There's no real evidence Dixie was ever planned for Smash 4 and there's no pics of her from Brawl. Feel free to share the image/footage though.
:facepalm: I will never trust another leaked image/footage again. I can't believe I was stupid enough to fall for that.
It's not any longer, it's just the part that loops is from FF7 as opposed to Smash. Because it's iconic and whatnot. Personally I don't see the big deal either way.
Hypothetically speaking, let's say I decide to record and upload all the victory poses, including Cloud's poses. Do I upload Cloud's poses fully shown with the 2nd part of the music (around 17.5 seconds) that usually loops over and over again, or do I upload Cloud's poses not fully shown with the 1st part of the music (about 4 seconds) with the looping music cut out?
Smash Bros Switch CLASH (it needs to be called that!)
I was thinking "Swift", but "Clash" works too.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366

My thoughts exactly.
I watched the video and while most of it is reasonable there's this part that shows how weak he think it is:
"I think It would be a stretch to assume that this thing could compete with the Wii U"
Also towards the end he starts sounding bitter, and pretty much starts blaming people for liking things he don't like.

D

Deleted member

I watched the video and while most of it is reasonable there's this part that shows how weak he think it is:

Also towards the end he starts sounding bitter, and pretty much starts blaming people for liking things he don't like.
The entire video he was very sensible, and he told people it was OK to be excited about it, but to keep expectations low considering Nintendo's track record when making consoles and promises. As well as bearing in mind the impact that overhyping a gimmick could have on the industry as a whole, citing the Move and Kinect as two "innovations" that got shoved into everyone, that no one wanted, that only happened cause Nintendo pushed forth motion controls.

Also, bear in mind, this video, like 90% of the videos I've come across criticizing the Switch have been made by people who have been long-time Nintendo fans since before gaming was 3D.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The entire video he was very sensible, and he told people it was OK to be excited about it, but to keep expectations low considering Nintendo's track record when making consoles and promises.
Some of it was, but it is making a few assumptions that we simply do not know.

As well as bearing in mind the impact that overhyping a gimmick could have on the industry as a whole, citing the Move and Kinect as two "innovations" that got shoved into everyone, that no one wanted, that only happened cause Nintendo pushed forth motion controls.
Yeah no. That came off as shaming especially with the educating line afterwards. You don't blame the Wii for the Kinect and Move. You blame the Kinect and Move for trying to do what the Wii did and failing.

It's like blaming The Exorcist for all the bad ghost movies that came out afterwards.

Also, bear in mind, this video, like 90% of the videos I've come across criticizing the Switch have been made by people who have been long-time Nintendo fans since before gaming was 3D.
And that means nothing. I can find tons of people in the same age range with the same circumstances that are either positive towards it, neutral or cautiously optimistic.

This does not somehow make their opinions more valid.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Some of it was, but it is making a few assumptions that we simply do not know.
He specifically went out of his way to point out the parts of his discourse which were assumptions, and even made a point at trying to keep away from that.

He outright said he wanted to avoid any baseless speculation, and stuck to making predictions based on things we actually know or can accurately predict.

Yeah no. That came off as shaming especially with the educating line afterwards. You don't blame the Wii for the Kinect and Move. You blame the Kinect and Move for trying to do what the Wii did and failing.

It's like blaming The Exorcist for all the bad ghost movies that came out afterwards.
You're totally missing the point, and at how companies operate and work within a market. If something is successful due to how it's marketed, then of course others will follow. Nintendo is solely responsible for the Motion control gimmick. They're the ones who popularized it in the first place.

Saying "n-no, Sony and Microsoft are to blame for following suit" is absurd, lol. Of COURSE they would follow suit, they're companies trying to make money, JUST like Nintendo.

You're acting like Nintendo is some blameless saint in the context of this whole thing, when they're the ones that pushed out motion controls, while they were still very much incomplete and oftentimes barely worked, and ran off with the money as it caught fire. By the end of the 6th generation, everyone was sick and tired of motion controls. You can't blame Sony and Microsoft for that whole thing, for as ****ty as their products were, because honestly, the Wii wasn't any great either, very few games really capitlized on it and made it a worthwhile experience. Off the top of my head, the only games that were made better by the Wiimote were RE4, and Metroid Prime Trilogy, and that's it.

He's totally right in telling people to tone down the hype, and be sensible on what this machine actually is, and actually offers, rather than assuming that it's gonna be some magical machine of wonders, on par with the PS4, with tons of games, simply because it'd made by Nintendo.

And that means nothing. I can find tons of people in the same age range with the same circumstances that are either positive towards it, neutral or cautiously optimistic.

This does not somehow make their opinions more valid.
Wrong, it perfectly validates them, because there's this tendency I've noticed these days, from fanboys to totally overblow anything new Nintendo comes out with these days, simply due to brand recognition alone. From amiibo, to just about any other dumb idea they fart out.

It's like people have forgotten the Wii and WiiU, the promises made in the months leading up to their launch, and the overall library and performance of both consoles.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. But I remember a time when Nintendo made innovative games with regular hardware, rather than innovative hardware to compensate for bland game design. And I notice that a lot of these people feel the same way. The Nintendo from the 90s, it totally different from the Nintendo today. They were respected cause they were an industry TITAN, whose name was synonymous with video games. Not because they were some company off to the side, not really competing, making games for contrarian hipsters to **** over.

Faboyism and brand loyalty are some of the stupidest things ever.

I've yet to come across a video from a NON-fanboy to be overglowed with glee at the next Nintendo machine, most are disappointed to cautious until more news drop. And if you want I'll gladly post dozens of examples.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I've said it before and I'll say it again. But I remember a time when Nintendo made innovative games with regular hardware, rather than innovative hardware to compensate for bland game design.
I wasn't alive when Donkey Kong came out, I do remember them putting 2 screens into Punch Out and this one time creating this crazy thing with a plus symbol in place of the joystick and 2 buttons way off to the side though... It came with a robot.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He specifically went out of his way to point out the parts of his discourse which were assumptions, and even made a point at trying to keep away from that.

He outright said he wanted to avoid any baseless speculation, and stuck to making predictions based on things we actually know or can accurately predict.
I understand that, but he doesn't treat what he says as assumptions aside from a basic disclaimer.

You're totally missing the point, and at how companies operate and work within a market. If something is successful due to how it's marketed, then of course others will follow. Nintendo is solely responsible for the Motion control gimmick. They're the ones who popularized it in the first place.

Saying "n-no, Sony and Microsoft are to blame for following suit" is absurd, lol. Of COURSE they would follow suit, they're companies trying to make money, JUST like Nintendo.

You're acting like Nintendo is some blameless saint in the context of this whole thing, when they're the ones that pushed out motion controls, while they were still very much incomplete and oftentimes barely worked, and ran off with the money as it caught fire. By the end of the 6th generation, everyone was sick and tired of motion controls. You can't blame Sony and Microsoft for that whole thing, for as ****ty as their products were, because honestly, the Wii wasn't any great either, very few games really capitlized on it and made it a worthwhile experience. Off the top of my head, the only games that were made better by the Wiimote were RE4, and Metroid Prime Trilogy, and that's it.

He's totally right in telling people to tone down the hype, and be sensible on what this machine actually is, and actually offers, rather than assuming that it's gonna be some magical machine of wonders, on par with the PS4, with tons of games, simply because it'd made by Nintendo.
I understand how the market works Manly. I'm just saying we can't pin the blame on a badly done trend on the trendsetters when the trendsetters were the only ones to do it well. And yeah, the Wii did motion controls well. They certainly weren't perfect but they were able to sell millions and still make high quality critically and fan acclaimed games with it. Something the Move and Kinect couldn't.

And no, I'm not acting like Nintendo is blameless here, the Wii had its own share of problems but blaming the Wii for the shortcomings of the Move and Kinect just seems off to me.

Wrong, it perfectly validates them, because there's this tendency I've noticed these days, from fanboys to totally overblow anything new Nintendo comes out with these days, simply due to brand recognition alone.
Yeah, but there are also people who hate companies with a fanboy like passion. I'm not saying that guy is (he isn't) but this goes both ways.

Moreover, what are you defining as a fanboy? Someone who thinks positively about the Switch? Someone who likes some of Nintendo's current moves? That's a rather broad term.

From amiibo, to just about any other dumb idea they fart out.
People in general like amiibo though. They sold like hot cakes for a reason.

It's like people have forgotten the Wii and WiiU, the promises made in the months leading up to their launch, and the overall library and performance of both consoles.
That's why I included "cautious" in my statement. I'm not saying they have to love it. I'm saying they're open to the idea.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. But I remember a time when Nintendo made innovative games with regular hardware, rather than innovative hardware to compensate for bland game design. And I notice that a lot of these people feel the same way.
They still are.

They were respected cause they were an industry TITAN, whose name was synonymous with video games.
Again. They still are.

Not because they were some company off to the side, not really competing, making games for contrarian hipsters to **** over.
Well then.

Faboyism and brand loyalty are some of the stupidest things ever.
I agree but I'm not suggesting we should do that either.

You're missing my point.

I've yet to come across a video from a NON-fanboy to be overglowed with glee at the next Nintendo machine, most are disappointed to cautious until more news drop. And if you want I'll gladly post dozens of examples.
Glee?

Who has glee over a console reveal?

PS4 didn't get glee.
X Box One got the exact opposite due to DRM.

Hell, the Wii, PS3 and X Box 360 didn't get glee either. I can't think of a single console, handheld or piece of hardware that got glee aside from maybe the original Game Boy.

The things people should get are excitement, interest, and curiosity, which are things the Switch has at the moment.

And if you want I'll gladly post dozens of examples.
Manly, let me be frank.

I don't want to see them. I've been looking for them for about a week.

I've seen videos both positive and negative about the darn thing so I'm not in this little bubble you seem to think I am.

I've seen the concerns and I share them.

I've seen the hype and I shared it.

But what I don't like is that you somehow invalidated opinions just because you defined them as fanboys.

Big people that have berated Nintendo for screw ups like Angry Joe, Jim Sterling and ReviewTechUSA are interested in what it has to offer and while they are concerned about certain things, they are also pleased with a lot of it. Are they fanboys?

Honestly Manly, there are fanboys that will love anything they do, but I am not one of them. And I see the exact opposite in you right now. You're trying to shut up positive opinions by putting a "you must be this tall and think this way to ride" sign.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just want them to make another Punch-Out!! game.

D

Deleted member

And yeah, the Wii did motion controls well. They certainly weren't perfect but they were able to sell millions and still make high quality critically and fan acclaimed games with it. Something the Move and Kinect couldn't.
M8, Wii had awful retention rate. The worst out of any console ever.

The majority of people who bought the thing had it collect dust. The first iteration of motion controls was truly bad as well, so bad, Nintendo later had to make the Plus add-on, and by then pretty much everyone was sick of motion controls.

And no, I'm not acting like Nintendo is blameless here, the Wii had its own share of problems but blaming the Wii for the shortcomings of the Move and Kinect just seems off to me.
I'm not blaming them for the shortcomings of the Kinect and Move, when did I ever say that? I'm blaming them for churning out a bad gimmick, and souring the entire industry to the idea of motion controls by popularizing a poorly implemented gimmick.

Yeah, but there are also people who hate companies with a fanboy like passion. I'm not saying that guy is (he isn't) but this goes both ways.

Moreover, what are you defining as a fanboy? Someone who thinks positively about the Switch? Someone who likes some of Nintendo's current moves? That's a rather broad term.
Yeah, console wars exist, and they are utterly ******** no matter what side people take.

What do I define as a fanboy? Someone who identifies with brand loyalty so strongly they blind themselves to the shortcomings of the products made by said company, rather than thinking critically and rationally as a consumer, and demanding that the company put out better products by voting with their wallet.

People in general like amiibo though. They sold like hot cakes for a reason.
Wrong.

Only hard-core Nintendo fans like Amiibo, and mostly as a collector's item. The majority of people see them as cheap cash-in happy meal tier toys with physical DLC features. They're not even a good collectors item, as they're very poorly crafted compared to ACTUAL Figma:

The sad part is, is that for the same price as an amiibo, you can get a figma of much better quality. Ffs, the Gunpla I bought when I went to Tokyo cost me a mere 20 bucks, and it's much nicer than any amiibo I ever came across.

That's why I included "cautious" in my statement. I'm not saying they have to love it. I'm saying they're open to the idea.

They still are.

Honestly Manly, there are fanboys that will love anything they do, but I am not one of them. And I see the exact opposite in you right now. You're trying to shut up positive opinions by putting a "you must be this tall and think this way to ride" sign.
M8 they are most certainly NOT an industry titan. They're nowhere even close to where they used to be. As far as the industry by and large is concerned, they're largely irrelevant.

I'm not trying to shut any positive opinions, I'm raining realism on the assumptions that a console powered by a mobile chip will even come close to competing with the leading consoles in the market right now, and telling people to quell expectations or await disappointment,

If people wanna hype up the Switch like it's gonna fart rainbows, then all the power to them, but that doesn't make them right. Personally, I see the Switch for what it is, another underpowered machine compensating with a portability gimmick that's gonna run dry once people have messed around with it a few times. The only hope this thing has, imo, if it competes in a different market, as a totally different thing than a dedicated home console. Regardless however, part of me does wish a large part of the Nintendo fanbase would be a lot more critical of Nintendo, and demand that they do better, rather than accept every single dumb idea they've put out as the next greatest thing simply because of the nostalgia it brings them of the good ol' days. If people would do that, then perhaps Nintendo would actually bother to compete properly and put out top notch games on good hardware, rather than take all their IP, and dumb them down to appeal to broader demographics, while simultaneously innovating with hardware for the sake of innovation. If the Switch flops, then Nintendo is pretty much done in the console industry. There is no way they're ever recovering their brand image after 3 very underwhelming consoles. On the other hand, part of me has also learned to stop caring about all this. So do what you will I suppose. I already gave my two cents, I'm very confident this will be another failure, but hey, if Nintendo proves me wrong, then that's a win-win I suppose. I'm not gonna invest in this thing till I see results though, and a sensible person would do the same, but that's just me. At least I know I'm not alone in this sentiment, as I've come across numerous opinions on various different videos, all of them basically agree with what I'm saying, and have been saying since the reveal trailer.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I agree with not overhyping the Switch. We've seen very little to judge. It looks neat and fun so far, but that's all we got.

BTW, do Figmas have actual technology inside of them? If not, then that's why the amiibo cost a bit more. They have electronics in 'em. It's not just plastic. 13 dollars isn't exactly pricey. The only times there were issues is the bundles like the Amiibo Festival one(which I unfortunately fell for). Very overpriced. And now you can find it for 20 dollars. :/

Anyway, I don't think they badly implemented motion controls at all. Sony and Microsoft did, but the Wii did d a pretty good job overall on it. I did want more that was never given(Luigi's Mansion was perfect for a Wiimake), but that happens.

Before we call the Switch underpowered(which I wouldn't be surprised is), let's wait till the specs come out, please.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I agree with not overhyping the Switch. We've seen very little to judge. It looks neat and fun so far, but that's all we got.

BTW, do Figmas have actual technology inside of them? If not, then that's why the amiibo cost a bit more. They have electronics in 'em. It's not just plastic. 13 dollars isn't exactly pricey. The only times there were issues is the bundles like the Amiibo Festival one(which I unfortunately fell for). Very overpriced. And now you can find it for 20 dollars. :/

Anyway, I don't think they badly implemented motion controls at all. Sony and Microsoft did, but the Wii did d a pretty good job overall on it. I did want more that was never given(Luigi's Mansion was perfect for a Wiimake), but that happens.

Before we call the Switch underpowered(which I wouldn't be surprised is), let's wait till the specs come out, please.
Figmas are just fully articulated, high quality figures. Nothing technological to them.

And for the record most cost a TON more than amiibo. Most Figma I've seen of Nintendo characters especially range from fifty to over one hundred dollars depending on the character, with ones like Lucina or Pit going for insane amounts. Amiibo are like, fifteen tops, and often on sale.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They don't, but the manufacturing cost of NFC chips is dirt cheap. Like literally pennies. Hell, like you yourself can buy them in bulk for like $.99 for like dozens. I imagine a large company like Nintendo can get much better deals from direct manufacturer.

If we add in the cost of the actual content of the Amiibo (which really isn't that much), you're left with a $15 plastic toy, that is really underwhelming for that price. I would much rather the amiibo had been a good $25 if it meant they were of the quality of what I posted in my photos. But even for 15, they're really really bad. I don't see why they couldn't have been the premium quality they showed off in promo material for them.

Btw, nice avi/username. Brings back memories of the good ol' days.

Jinzo was the better card though, :p

Figmas are just fully articulated, high quality figures. Nothing technological to them.

And for the record most cost a TON more than amiibo. Most Figma I've seen of Nintendo characters especially range from fifty to over one hundred dollars depending on the character, with ones like Lucina or Pit going for insane amounts. Amiibo are like, fifteen tops, and often on sale.
If figma are the jointed ones, then what do you call the nonjointed PVC ones I posted?

For the record, they're not that expensive, I picked up pic related for 4000 yen (about 30EU) when I went to Japan.

They probably cost a lot to import, but you can find very good deals IN Japan for them. Especially if you take conversion rates into account.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I do agree the amiibos could be higher quality. But I'd prefer to pay 13 dollars and get what I need. Keep in mind their entire point is to be used as a device. It's a pretty fair price. And yes, some designs are jank. I'm looking at you, Merth.

I run Jinzo in some decks too. Spell Canceller in only two, however. They're both worthwhile these days, strangely enough. Yeah, some stat are bleh.

D

Deleted member

I do agree the amiibos could be higher quality. But I'd prefer to pay 13 dollars and get what I need. Keep in mind their entire point is to be used as a device. It's a pretty fair price. And yes, some designs are jank. I'm looking at you, Merth.

I run Jinzo in some decks too. Spell Canceller in only two, however. They're both worthwhile these days, strangely enough. Yeah, some stat are bleh.
I never found most of the content inside the amiibo to really justify the price tbh. I bought like 3 of them, but then sold them all cause I just thought they were really ugly.

I remember back when Jinzo used to be a staple in every deck. Trap negation was THAT powerful. Those were the good ol' days. Now this Syncro and XYZ stuff is too convoluted to really draw me back in. I recently started getting into MtG though, which I actually really enjoy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never found most of the content inside the amiibo to really justify the price tbh. I bought like 3 of them, but then sold them all cause I just thought they were really ugly.

I remember back when Jinzo used to be a staple in every deck. Trap negation was THAT powerful. Those were the good ol' days. Now this Syncro and XYZ stuff is too convoluted to really draw me back in. I recently started getting into MtG though, which I actually really enjoy.
I understand. It's not for everyone. And my guess is the material used and/or licensing stuff. I've noticed most stuff is 13 dollars bar a few exceptions. Pokemon sometimes are 15 dollars, But you probably noticed(if you own Super Maker Maker) that Pokemon don't make very interesting sounds as costumes. It's pretty hard to get permission from TPC and GameFreak. Nintendo only partially owns them. I don't know why they aren't a little cheaper(8-10 dollars). Could be an economy thing. Could be that that much plastic, as well as taking the time to properly color/design them might mean something. I cannot say for sure. That said, better a decent price than overpriced but can't work on the games you want them for.

For the record, they weren't utilized as well as they could be, imo.

Jinzo is still useful to this day. Some decks are heavy traps. And the new Pendulums are actiated like spell cards, making Spell Canceller somewhat viable again as a side deck option. Notably, it was used quite a bit during the Spellbook/Dragon Ruler era. But yeah, the game has gone nuts, agreed.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think you've been in some kind of echo chamber if you think the reactions to the Switch have had any kind of consistency. What I've seen most prominently has been middling to hopeful reactions. Glee and condemnation have mostly come from people already very much staked in an opinion regarding Nintendo.

Because the truth to me seems to be the system has potential, but not enough is known to do anything more than offer a cursory prediction. Yeah it's not going the route of power, surprise surprise, but this "gimmick", imo, has promise. Mostly because, unlike the last two Nintendo systems, the gimmick revolves not around changing how games function, but simply by expanding the options of how to play them. At its core and its default, the Switch is not any more complicated than a controller and a screen, it's just that this time the two are modular. To do that it needs to sacrifice power and battery life, both of which are unfortunate casualties, perhaps crippling (we'll see), but the gains of a consolidated library and portable functionality could outweigh that. Again, we'll see. If you so desire, you can sit on the couch, play your games and be unencumbered by any obtrusive and/or unorthodox mandatory controller setups. Or, if you want, you can play Skyrim on an airplane.

I'm no Nintendo apologist. I like to think of myself as rational when it comes to this stuff. I've been railing on Nintendo for years at this point, people in this thread can probably back me up on that. I think a lot of people here cut them too much slack. I thought the Wii U was misstep after misstep and overall a horribly lacklustre system. The software was, from a quality standpoint, great, but criminally uninspired, with only a few exceptions. Almost without fail they played it safe when they shouldn't have and gambled when they should've played it safe. I'm so glad Nintendo is listening to younger devs with games like Splatoon and BotW, a change in guard really seem necessary at this point. I want to see what happens with the Switch, but I would have no problem with them going third-party, because the software is really what we're all here for. For our demographic that simply wants to play the goddam game, lately the hardware has just gotten in the way.

Having said that, I see value in the Switch's gimmick, because imo it expands more than it limits.

Also blaming Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony for motion control is silly. Nintendo took a risk, it paid off, then the other two saw room for profit, so they emulated. That's business, there's no fault to be had. Motion control was not unsubstantiated hype, it was a fad that passed before the other two could even really take advantage of it.

Same deal with Nintendo being the ones to emulate Activision just as Lego and Disney also did. Activision set the price, Nintendo followed and made a profit. Fifteen bucks is unnecessarily expensive, but it isn't outrageous for toys-to-life. If you don't like the figures (which are of sub-standard quality compared to the competitors), you need not buy them. Imo the only thing worth getting upset about is their lack of in-game functionality, being, usually, largely aesthetic. Plus the fact that Nintendo really ****ed up the supply at the beginning.

And anecdotally I have a $20 figma and it's a lot ****tier quality-wise than my $50+ figmas, which I love. I want to get that ALBW Link.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Due to that post being very unique and special, I'll let the double post slide. For the same reason, I'm not merging it.

I just wish we didn't have to wait more than 2 months for more information. But I'm sure we'll get at least 50-some leaks.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
My impressions on the Switch:

I immediately had a more positive reaction and intuition when seeing the short preview than I did for the Wii U. It's refreshing to finally have a Nintendo console again without a mandatory gimmick. In fact, I personally don't see the so-called "gimmick" here to be one at all, as it, not unlike the 3D functionality on the 3DS, is completely non-intrusive and exists only to offer a better experience for those who consider it to be one. Those who don't can ignore it completely and use it exclusively as a tv experience. In this case, portability is a much more universally appealing functionality than 3D ever was, but I draw a similarity because due to the design of the Switch, neither will force developers to design their games around it like motion control or the Wii U's GamePad did.

I am also heavily encouraged by the fact that Nintendo will inevitably not spread themselves as thin as they have for the past two and a half decades with teams developing for both a handheld and a home console simultaneously. They say the 3DS isn't being forgotten but we all know pickings will be slim throughout 2017 until it eventually fades into full assimilation with the hybrid system.

Third party support seems promising right now, but as a happy PlayStation 4 owner, I'm not putting too many eggs in that basket. I want Nintendo to have a wide sleuth of third party multiplats and even some exclusives, but I have a healthy dose of skepticism regarding the reality of that. What I have much less skepticism for is the first party lineup. Like I said in the last paragraph, they won't spread themselves as thin as they did with the Wii U, so in theory their lineup of exclusives should be stronger than ever.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I think for a issue, is that since the third-party developers brought their titles to the Nintendo Switch, is likely to see some old and new characters from that companies.

Here the image of third-party companies:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think you've been in some kind of echo chamber if you think the reactions to the Switch have had any kind of consistency. What I've seen most prominently has been middling to hopeful reactions. Glee and condemnation have mostly come from people already very much staked in an opinion regarding Nintendo.
That's exactly the point I'm trying to drive here. While it hasn't particularly been itt, I've come across many people pointing out the number of views and likes on the reveal video as a telling sing that this console will be a resounding success. I've also come across overly hopeful optimism in regard to how this console will perform not only in power and library, but more importantly in sales.

Personally, I've come across two separate camps of extremity, combined with like you said hopeful reactions, and more notably, apathy. I've mentioned the Switch to a number of my friends, and most have pretty much expressed negativity, to apathy toward it. Now granted, this is anecdotal evidence, and very skewed one in fact, considering Europe is essentially Sony territory, but one quick look at youtube also show a very telling trend. Aside from the NIntendotubers, who have been hyping this thing to all hell in order to cater to their niche audience, the majority of other gaming Youtubers have had very negative and apathetic reactions to it. Pewdiepie outright said it was ****, Angry Joe had a very meh reaction to it, Maximillian Dood was a little hopeful, but said that the library mattered the most to him, as well as dozens upon dozens of other gaming channels who have had very negative reactions to it. Many of who feel they should have just made a regular console.

Now in my opinion, yeah, these people already had a very strong opinion on Nintendo going into this due to NoA's near-fascist enforcement of copyright laws on YT. But it shouldn't be discredited. Especially since the most popular channel on YT outright said it was **** and that he didn't care for it. These guys are the voice of the industry, and have a MASSIVE influence. I might not personally like Pewdiepie's content, but millions of people do, and like when the popular guy in school decides what's cool and what's not, if PDP decides the Switch isn't cool, you're damn right tons of kids are gonna adopt this opinion.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is mostly directed toward Nintendo fans. It's that they should quell their excitement on this thing till we see not only more news, but more importantly how it ACTUALLY performs in sales, because that's what's gonna decide this console's lifetime and library, and Nintendo's track record has not been good at all these last few generations.

No, I don't necessarily mean you, or John, or Swamp, or anyone in particular. I'm speaking in broad terms, and I guess even playing devil's advocate, because even JUST after this thing was teased by Iwata, there has been massive hype building up behind it, and no, not from gamers, but particularly from hard core Nintendo fans. Spending days and days speculating over what this thing will be, and whatnot, while I sit here and remember all the promises Nintendo has failed to deliver these last few generations. This is actually an opinion I've held since just after the NX was teased, but I've withheld from really voicing it when all we had was patents and baseless rumors, and it would have been very pointless, and unjustified to overall assume that the machine would be one thing or another. But now that I've gotten a good look at it, and have enough info on it to make reasonable guesses at how it will perform, I can confidently say that I'm honestly not too impressed by it, and many people I've come across both online, and irl pretty much have had the same reaction to it.

Because the truth to me seems to be the system has potential, but not enough is known to do anything more than offer a cursory prediction. Yeah it's not going the route of power, surprise surprise, but this "gimmick", imo, has promise. Mostly because, unlike the last two Nintendo systems, the gimmick revolves not around changing how games function, but simply by expanding the options of how to play them. At its core and its default, the Switch is not any more complicated than a controller and a screen, it's just that this time the two are modular. To do that it needs to sacrifice power and battery life, both of which are unfortunate casualties, perhaps crippling (we'll see), but the gains of a consolidated library and portable functionality could outweigh that. Again, we'll see. If you so desire, you can sit on the couch, play your games and be unencumbered by any obtrusive and/or unorthodox mandatory controller setups. Or, if you want, you can play Skyrim on an airplane.
I don't entirely agree Katie.

For starters, this is just me and my personal opinion, but I'm not much of an enthusiast of portable gaming. Not since I was a kid really. If I leave my house, it's to do things, or to socialize. Even in transit, I don't much enjoy the absorption of getting really into a game as it can often result in missed stops and being late to whatever I was trying to get to. But that's just me. However, I think a large portion of other adults with a disposable income also feel the same way. When you're out and about, you're doing things, and your mind is focused on the tasks at hand. Gaming is really more of a way to relax on you free time, rather than something to squeeze in every hour of the day.

As far a children go, well yeah, there's still a market there, but like the majority of adults, most of them also own a tablet or a smartphone, which already offers a variety of things to do from playing games, to watching videos or shows, to music, etc... Is it worth it to sacrifice power for portability when making a home console?

Honestly, I would argue it's a very stupid move. As this was one of the limiting factors for the Wii, as stated by Nintendo themselves:

By 2008, two years after the Wii's release,[174] Nintendo acknowledged several limitations and challenges with the system (such as the perception that the system catered primarily to a "casual" audience[175] and was unpopular among "core" gamers).[176] Game designer Shigeru Miyamoto admitted that the lack of support for high definition video output on the Wii and its limited network infrastructure also contributed to the system being regarded separately from its competitors' systems, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.[177]
The Globe and Mail, in suggesting why Nintendo posted a record loss of $926 million for the initial six months of its 2011–2012 fiscal year, blamed the Wii's design for being "short-sighted". The Wii initially enjoyed phenomenal success because it was inexpensive (due to its being less sophisticated than its competitors) and introduced a "gaming gimmick". However, this approach meant that the Wii's hardware soon became outdated and could not keep up long-term (in contrast to more-advanced rivals such as Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, which are expected to continue doing well in 2012–2013) "as both user desires and surrounding technologies evolved" later in the generation. Furthermore, price cuts and the introduction of motion-sensor controllers for the Xbox 360 and PS3 nullified advantages once held by the Wii. The Globe suggested that there were other reasons for Nintendo's poor financial performance, including a strong yen and a tepid reception to the Nintendo 3DS handheld as mobile gaming becomes popular on smartphones and tablets (such as the iPad).[180]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Reception

The Wii's lack of power resulted in much weaker 3rd party support than its competitors, and this severely hurt the console's sales later in its life, as well as its retention rate, as most Wii owners found themselves with very little to actually play.

Moreover, you also have the issue of Nvidia mobile chips using ARM architecture, rather than the x86 architecture of the competition, and industry leaders. This will result in added difficulty when porting over games from the PS4 and PC to Switch. Something that the WiiU actually struggled with during its launch, and why so many 3rd party ports were so hotly criticized on the WiiU. Here's an insider review from a dev during the early years of the WiiU, and his story on what a hassle WiiU development was:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

What all this tells me, is that this console is gonna have very little in regard to 3rd party support. Already we are seeing Bethesda and 2K games go out of their way to mention that neither Skyrim nor NBA 2K17 are confirmed for Switch, and Bioware outright stating that Mass Effect Andromeda will NOT come to Switch.

Sure, we have a long list of developers pledged to the Switch, but it's logical that the majority of these devs will be dipping their toes in the water with some ports of already released games, and maybe some upcoming games, before committing to making 3rd party Switch exclusives (which is what you really want). People seem to forget that 90% of PS4 games that have come out till today, and even some of the ones launching in 2017, are also playable on PS3. So I personally think it's likely that list of devs will be mostly composed of games also available on PS3.

So, while the gimmick might not be intrusive, it is limiting. This is the final year for the PS3, from here out, games are gonna start pushing the limits of the PS4 and Xbone, and sharing a library with their pro versions, leaving the Switch in the dust due to a lack of power. The entire point of people wanting Nintendo to make a more powerful console is so that it can keep up with the competition, and share a library with the PS4 and Xbone. Nintendo being able to expand their 1st party output more by consolidating the portable and console studios into one, won't make up for having to sacrifice 3rd party support yet again, especially potential 3rd party EXCLUSIVE support, which is often the hidden gems among Nintendo consoles. If the console underperforms in sales, which it most likely will due to, well, various reasons really, then there goes the 3rd party support, and really any reason to buy the console.

Yeah, at this point I too would much prefer it if they went 3rd party. I personally believe that if Nintendo was forced to compete on the platforms where you have titles like Dark Souls, and GTA, then Zelda would actually have to get proper art direction and theme, rather than just being cartoony again and again, and we might actually see Metroid and F-Zero again. As Endless Kirby titles, Yarn Yoshi games, and uninspired Paper Marios wouldn't see much love on PS4 or PC.

Then again, I'm also of the idea that regardless of how it performed, killing off the WiiU early was a terrible idea. But what do I know?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Already we are seeing Bethesda and 2K games go out of their way to mention that neither Skyrim nor NBA 2K17 are confirmed for Switch
http://nintendoeverything.com/koei-tecmo-bringing-nobunagas-ambition-to-switch/

To be fair, it seems Nintendo doesn't want ANY third parties to announce titles for the Switch.

"Shibusawa:

Today I’d like to deliver one piece of surprise news for the audience.
We will make (develop / produce) a Nintendo Switch version of Nobunaga’s Ambition!

Hirokazu Hamamura (Enterbrain publisher):
Wait a sec! Even Nintendo hasn’t revealed any of the titles for Switch!

Shibusawa:
Right.

Hamamura:
Probably this is…the first Switch title announcement in the world.

Shibusawa:
Right. I couldn’t hold it. (laugh) I said it, so I can’t back out.… Nintendo might scold me, but I already announced it, you know."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, the screen of the Switch was confirmed to be touch screen

In fact, it's multi touch...So Nintendo have finally caught up with the modern age of touch screens

However, it's 720p resolution

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So, the screen of the Switch was confirmed to be touch screen

In fact, it's multi touch...So Nintendo have finally caught up with the modern age of touch screens

However, it's 720p resolution
Do you have a source on that?

If it has touch support then that's quite a relief for games like Professor Layton, Art Academy and Super Mario Maker etc.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
720p is totally fine for a 6" screen.

Do you have a source on that?

If it has touch support then that's quite a relief for games like Professor Layton, Art Academy and Super Mario Maker etc.
It's from the same Eurogamer source that correctly leaked the NX stuff this summer, so it seems credible. However it's not "confirmed".

D

Deleted member

http://nintendoeverything.com/koei-tecmo-bringing-nobunagas-ambition-to-switch/

To be fair, it seems Nintendo doesn't want ANY third parties to announce titles for the Switch.

"Shibusawa:

Today I’d like to deliver one piece of surprise news for the audience.
We will make (develop / produce) a Nintendo Switch version of Nobunaga’s Ambition!

Hirokazu Hamamura (Enterbrain publisher):
Wait a sec! Even Nintendo hasn’t revealed any of the titles for Switch!

Shibusawa:
Right.

Hamamura:
Probably this is…the first Switch title announcement in the world.

Shibusawa:
Right. I couldn’t hold it. (laugh) I said it, so I can’t back out.… Nintendo might scold me, but I already announced it, you know."
Clearly, but in the case of Bioware, they went out of their way to confirm it WASN'T coming to Switch.

I think it's plenty obvious Skyrim and 2K17 will be coming to Switch, especially since Skyrim is a 5 year old game. Should be worth noting that it's Skyrim and not Fallout 4 btw. Yeah, Bethesda wants to shill their remaster, but I have serious doubts that Switch is running the remaster.

Funny enough, if you go digging through the list of 3rd party devs (after scratching off all the engine creators like Unreal, and Autodesk, and Frostbite) you can get a more or less general idea of what sort of games will be dropping on Switch.

For example:

-505 Games has Rocket League and Terraria, as well as a bunch of mobile games, and I mean a bunch.
-Gung Ho owns Grasshopper Manufacture, who is making this F2P games for PS4 called Let It Die, I think we can see that on Switch too. Gung Ho is also known for Ragnarok (which is mostly dead) and Puzzle and Dragons, which I think we'll definitely see.
-Arc System Works means we'll certainly see Guilty Gear and/or Blazblue, which makes sense since both are on PS3 as well.
-Atlus won't mean Persona 5 since Sony paid for rights on that one, and I wonder if it'll mean more Vanillaware games, since Muramasa was on Wii? I doubt it though, since 13 Sentinel is listed as a PS4/Vita Exclusive, and Dragon's Crown and Odin's Sphere were the same. iirc, I remember coming across a leak that #TMS was getting a sequel, so that's probably it...
-Bamco probably means Smash and Pokken, Xenoverse 2 is a next gen exclusive, and network heavy (something Nintendo has never been good at) so no DBZ.
-From Software is interesting. It certainly won't be Bloodborne, since that's a Sony exclusive, they paid for its rights. And I don't think it'll mean a port of the new Armored Core coming out. Meaning it's probably gonna be one of the 3 main Dark Souls games, or all three, though III only runs on next gen hardware.
-Bethesda is obviously Skyrim, but again, curiously only Skyrim and not Fallout 4. I can certainly see Bethesda cashing in on the Remaster hype by bringing the old one to Switch.
-Activision, EA, Ubisoft, WB, and Capcom could mean a number of things, so no point speculating there, but they'll give any console a shot. Every console launch, they're always mentioned.
-Square is pretty much confirmed to be Dragon Quest at this point.
-Dena means more Pokemon Go stuff
-Sega is obviously Sonic, which has a launch title iirc
-and Platinum loves Nintendo, so no surprises there.
-Maximum Games, and Hamster make nothing noteworthy, just lackluster low budget games.
-Inti Creates' only self-published IP is Azure Striker Gunvolt. Which recently got a sequel iirc.
-Silicon's only noteworthy IP is the Bravely Series.
-and Konami is obviously lying and full of ****

What I really wanna highlight is the number of devs who have a hefty amount of Mobile games, like 505, Gametrust, DeNa, and Gung Ho. Further reinforcing my initial speculation of this doubling as a mobile tablet.

720p is totally fine for a 6" screen.
This.

Also, capacitive multi-screen is pretty much guaranteed. Especially if again, Nintendo are gonna try and aim this at the mobile/tablets market.

D

Deleted member

I've been content with all the news surrounding Nintendo Switch since it's launch I look forward to the presentation.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
One thing I don't get is why people are negative about a potential 3 hour battery life.
I mean, for a pure handheld device that would be awful, but expecting a console level portable device to last much longer is kind of ridiculous. As long as you can plug it in frequently it should be fine anyways.

Top Bottom