• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo screws up, again

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1400]Nintendo screws up, again[/drupal]

A few days ago, Nintendo updated the Wii with a new SD card menu. From here, you can launch channels from an SD card without moving it to your Wii. So I borrowed a friend's SD card which held the original Zelda, Super Metroid and Kirby 64. I got home and kind of forgot to put it into my Wii until a few minuets ago. It was then that I wanted to play Super Metroid, so I attempted to launch it from the SD menu. But I got this message, "This channel cannot be launched on this Wii console."

It was at this point that I had already figured out that Nintendo wasn't going to let me play VC games that I didn't buy. But I ignored all knowledge that I had of the business world and optimistically tried to copy the data to my Wii. And I was giving this message, "This channel cannot be be copyied to this Wii." Still wanting to play Metroid, I tried to move the channel to my Wii. And guess what? They still wouldn't let me move it. After this, I gave trying to copy the saved data a shot. They wouldn't let me because I haven't played the game on my Wii yet.

I wonder if Nintendo has figured out that this whole, "SD Card menu" this was a really stupid idea. Okay, I ask you this, who puts their VC games onto an SD card? No one, almost everyone just lets them sit on their Wii. And lets say you do transfer it onto an SD card, if your system crashes and you're forced to get a new one, you're screwed. Why? Because you'll have to re-buy all of your VC games because Nintendo won't let you copy them from an SD card.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Maybe it was just the game or something o_<
But if what you're saying is the truth, then yes, it's incredibly pointless. The whole point of an SD card is to transfer data. If you can't transfer the data, then it doesnt make any sense to have it.
Why would you bring your VC games to a wii that already has it on it anyways? ;x

finalark

SNORLAX
Maybe it was just the game or something o_<
But if what you're saying is the truth, then yes, it's incredibly pointless. The whole point of an SD card is to transfer data. If you can't transfer the data, then it doesnt make any sense to have it.
Why would you bring your VC games to a wii that already has it on it anyways? ;x
It's not the game, I'm sure of that. I tried it with the other games he had on their too and was still met with the same result. Then I copied my Super Mario World data onto the SD card to see if it was the card. It let me launch the data.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I have 3665 blocks left on my Wii. That includes data from four VC games and eight regular games. I don't think my Wii is going to run out of data any time soon.
I know people who have about 35 VC games on their console. Not everybody has a lotta memory like you. >.>

edit: I have more games than you so I am one. I like this update really, of course I have no need for it right now until I get pikmin for the wii, so for homebrews sake I'm just keeping it on 3.0.

I think Nintendo needs to just go ahead and make an external hardrive type device for the Wii. To plug into the USB slots.

Darkslash

Smash Master

A few days ago, Nintendo updated the Wii with a new SD card menu. From here, you can launch channels from an SD card without moving it to your Wii. So I borrowed a friend's SD card which held the original Zelda, Super Metroid and Kirby 64. I got home and kind of forgot to put it into my Wii until a few minuets ago. It was then that I wanted to play Super Metroid, so I attempted to launch it from the SD menu. But I got this message, "This channel cannot be launched on this Wii console."

It was at this point that I had already figured out that Nintendo wasn't going to let me play VC games that I didn't buy. But I ignored all knowledge that I had of the business world and optimistically tried to copy the data to my Wii. And I was giving this message, "This channel cannot be be copyied to this Wii." Still wanting to play Metroid, I tried to move the channel to my Wii. And guess what? They still wouldn't let me move it. After this, I gave trying to copy the saved data a shot. They wouldn't let me because I haven't played the game on my Wii yet.

I wonder if Nintendo has figured out that this whole, "SD Card menu" this was a really stupid idea. Okay, I ask you this, who puts their VC games onto an SD card? No one, almost everyone just lets them sit on their Wii. And lets say you do transfer it onto an SD card, if your system crashes and you're forced to get a new one, you're screwed. Why? Because you'll have to re-buy all of your VC games because Nintendo won't let you copy them from an SD card.
Your actually the first guy I've seen complain about the SD card boot up. The games are registered under who ever bought it. I assume trying to move the games to a Wii that doesn't have the same registration number will not allow the games to move. Its basically stealing when you think about it.

I obviously don't want to do the fridge shuffle, as that's time consuming and frustrating. Also Nintendo keeps some record of your VC games and if you let them look on your system, I'm sure that they'll replace the VC games.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I'll be honest, you're right. But come on, the least they could do is let us borrow VC games from our friends by letting us launch them straight from our (or in my case, their) SD cards!
Well if I remember the Game it self is saved onto the SD card, but the Save isn't.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
You gotta be kidding me? Did you really think Nintendo was dumb enough to let everybody mass pirate their VC games?

The SD card is a pretty good idea. If you play Guitar Hero and you download songs, you know they take up quite a bit of memory. The Wii console itself has a very small memory capacity, and 32GB SD cards are a great remedy. Also, developers seeking to make games that require more system memory have more options now; especially games that take more room to save things.

Either way, it's certainly a step forward. What would be the point of an external harddrive now? No matter what they're not going to let you pirate their VC games.

If you really want pirated games, get on your computer and download some emulators and ROMs. The whole point of VC is to have a sense of ownership in your games that you don't have actual cartridges for. Pirate them on your computer, buy them for Wii.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman

If you link your new Wii's Shop Channel to your My Nintendo account, I think it'll remember what games you purchased on previous Wiis linked to the account. Can't try it since I only have one Wii but I recall reading it somewhere.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Dear Nintendo-san,

Big-u news-o. I am very dishonoured by your blatant greedy, money raking tactics. Prease give us external Hard Drive support. Sank you very much. Arigato, merci, tesekur, praise de Lord, Jah Rastafari, give to de I, a freakin Hard Disk Drive.

No Regards,

Teran17

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Dear Nintendo-san,

Big-u news-o. I am very dishonoured by your blatant greedy, money raking tactics. Prease give us external Hard Drive support. Sank you very much. Arigato, merci, tesekur, praise de Lord, Jah Rastafari, give to de I, a freakin Hard Disk Drive.

No Regards,

Teran17
Hey, I sent a message like that last week. Weird O.o

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
How dare Nintendo try to prevent people from pirating games.
iknorite?

Kind of annoys me too, but they can't do anything else without preventing piracy, which is what's going to happen if they allowed that feature.

Nintendo has screwed up many, many times, but this wasn't really a major screwup. If you're worried about your Wii crashing and losing your VC games, don't buy digital games and go for the original consoles like me. =D (Although I don't go for the original consoles because I'm worried about that.)

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
How dare Nintendo try to prevent people from pirating games.
I know right?!

>_>

<_<

Anyway, I agree with with everyone that it would technically be considered stealing/piracy so it isn't really there fault trying to stop it.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Every time an emulator is used, a puppy dies.
Awesome. So because my Megaman 2 cartridge is broken, I would have to play it on an emulator - I still own the game - but yet am judged for using an emulator despite actually owning the cartridge - it just is broken.

But stealing games from other people's SD Cards is fine. Do I hear hypocrisy?

finalark

SNORLAX
Awesome. So because my Megaman 2 cartridge is broken, I would have to play it on an emulator - I still own the game - but yet am judged for using an emulator despite actually owning the cartridge - it just is broken.

But stealing games from other people's SD Cards is fine. Do I hear hypocrisy?
Yep. ****, I need to stop being a hypocrite! Hmmm.... I would make a good politician.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
Lol.
Ive never played any Megaman game,
but before we even had an N64, we found a Megaman
cartridge in our back yard!, too bad we threw it away because we got
our Nintendo not long after.
Or maybe it wasn`t our back yard...oh well it was like 10 years ago.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I do believe this is DRM?
But who cares imo.
We are already fed up with Nintendo other stuff they do doesn't really bother me anymore.

Top Bottom