• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo power's top 200 games.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I only have one thing to say,
OMYGAWD Astro boy omega factor made it on the list! I do realize however that only five people have played that game......if that.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
016 - Super Smash Bros. Melee - GCN - 2001
this list fails

and the kid Icarus was higher than every pokemon game? i think it was mostly half A***ed becuase if Kid Icarus was that good they would have it everywhere and they don't unlike the Ice climber game

list of systems: nes, wii, GC, GBA,and the arcade and best of all i have seen a few want to be systemss with the ice climber game(more to the list)

Scott!

Smash Lord
016 - Super Smash Bros. Melee - GCN - 2001
this list fails

and the kid Icarus was higher than every pokemon game? i think it was mostly half A***ed becuase if Kid Icarus was that good they would have it everywhere and they don't unlike the Ice climber game

list of systems: nes, wii, GC, GBA,and the arcade and best of all i have seen a few want to be systemss with the ice climber game(more to the list)
Concerning Melee: too high or too low? I'd guess too high, but it is a really good fighting game.

And Kid Icarus could have been the best game ever made, but it didn't have the popularity of Pokemon. Hence the years of neglect before the Smash people resurrected him. And Ice Climber is hardly everywhere, considering their series was just as dead before Melee, and still is, actually.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
This list is too predictable.

OoT is on top.

Rareware games are at the bottom. Not to mention DKC is the only Rare made DKC is on the list (no DKC2, WTF)

This list is of fanboyism and NP still being butthurt about Rare (despite the fact that Nintendo sold them)

Edit: Well Goldeneye got 20th. But not only was it ever bashed for being a 'rip off' of a game, Bond isn't a Rareware originated franchise

D

Deleted member

Do you realize how different this list would be in 2009 with Chris Slate writing it?

1. The obscure early games would be gone
2. DS games would be very well repped
3. Every Wii game on the planet would be on there. Including Wii Sports. Trust me.
4. Brawl would be over Melee.

It's very strange how a company changes in a few short years.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Do you realize how different this list would be in 2009 with Chris Slate writing it?

1. The obscure early games would be gone
2. DS games would be very well repped
3. Every Wii game on the planet would be on there. Including Wii Sports. Trust me.
4. Brawl would be over Melee.

It's very strange how a company changes in a few short years.
I guarantee you that Wii Sports would be on the god**** top. And Gamecube would probably not get repped at all since apparently it failed due to not having innovation, unlike the Wii.
-_-

You know a company's stupid when they praise their newest release by bashing an old one. An old one which their loyal fans actually loved and vehemently defended back in its day.

And yeah, Brawl would be over Melee in a heartbeat. I guarantee you Nintendo Power sees nothing that could make Melee better than Brawl. I want to send them a trap letter pretending to ask something casually about going back to Melee instead of Brawl so I can get a reply of "YAWR NUTS GAWD BRAWL > YEW" and wave it around as proof of their idiocy. You know they would respond that way.

So yeah. Chris Slate is a moron and a fanboy. I hate him and he should probably die in a fire somewhere. The fact that he honestly said that the readers wouldn't notice a difference after the company change is just facepalm-worthy. Unless we're incompetent we're going to notice a change, especially when it comes to a magazine where half the staff was replaced.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
There are some unimaginably good DS games. Advance Wars, Mario Kart..

Oh, I know that Nintendo just licenses Gardening Mama, I was just thinking of a terrible game off the top of my head.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
FirustheHedgehog said:
You know a company's stupid when they praise their newest release by bashing an old one. An old one which their loyal fans actually loved and vehemently defended back in its day.
What are you referring to? Did he bash Melee in his Brawl review or something? I only really noticed that he said it stuff like that it "expanded" on Melee, which is true from a casual standpoint.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
melee is to low, i mean come on there are a crapload of people on this site because of melee and some when to brawl and then when to melee and melee lasted a long time at the MLG #16 my *** but hey i think 64 should be in at least the top 10 or something

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
What are you referring to? Did he bash Melee in his Brawl review or something? I only really noticed that he said it stuff like that it "expanded" on Melee, which is true from a casual standpoint.
No.

He wrote an entire column next to the Pulse section in one issue talking about how the Gamecube didn't do that well, and that it stood to reason because it apparently lacked innovation. He went on to talk about how great the Wii was.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
you guys still don't get it. look at the top ten and then tell me all of those deserve worse ya I think there was allot of Mario spam but they were all great games. I think those at NP got it right (other than metroid prime 2 was way far back)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Great games =/= the best games.

All of them are good (that I've played, which means everything but RE4), but there are games that should've made the top 10 that didn't and there are games in the top 10 that shouldn't have been THAT high.
I mean, we should hope that all 200 games are great (for the most part) since that's a small sum of games, compared to the number they chose from.

Also, out of 200 games, the first 10 is all that matters? That doesn't make any sense at all.

It's each game's singular position that matters, ESPECIALLY when it comes to the top 10. Once you get past that it's like "Oh, this game is in the top 20" unless it's above/below a game that it's better/worse than. But in the top 10 which game makes each position is essential.

And yeah, there's a lot of Mario spam and Zelda spam. The list is clearly biased, even though, again, all of them are good games. Two Nintendo franchises and one random other game make it into the top 10?

I'm not sure what we're "not getting".

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
That and ALttP and the original Zelda beating Majora's Mask.

All three of them are good games, but MM is just flat out better than the other two.
It's all a matter of opinion so there is no way to tell which one is "better". It just depends on the person's (Nintendo Power) taste.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
No.

He wrote an entire column next to the Pulse section in one issue talking about how the Gamecube didn't do that well, and that it stood to reason because it apparently lacked innovation. He went on to talk about how great the Wii was.
Oh yeah, I read that. "The GameCube was basically just an N64 with better graphics."

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Just curious, but why no love for handhelds? There's plenty of trash games, sure, but there are some truly amazing games that you're missing out on. Don't worry, I don't hold it against you, but it's just not something I've heard before, and I'm curious as to the reason behind it.
Well, it's actually very simple. Handhelds are inferior in quality to my Wii graphically speaking, in terms of sound quality, and and screen size. I also don't play video games when I'm not at home - when I travel, I prefer window watching and naps, an when I'm anywhere else, I tend to enjoy daydreaming, and I need headphones if I want to play the sound outside of the house so as not to be rude. Thus, I generally only like playing games on the handheld that would be hurt by a technology boost, as I play them at home anyway.

Pokemon, for example, incorperates it's grid system into may of the puzzles, and the turn-based sprite gameplay actually suffers from plotholes when the battles take place in the settings which magically expands to accomidate the pokemon. A full 3D pokemon RPG is not inherently better than a 2D one.

Likewise, Phoenix Wright's style and presentation is largely based on what appears to be hardware restrictions. A console Phoenix Wright would hardly be better than a handheld Phoenix Wright; in fact, it most likely wouldn't have the style that made the Ace Attourney series so popular in the first place.

But those two games are only possible because the hardware was bad. If they didn't exist, there wouldn't be a need to buy a handheld, because I can find a superior console version of most genres even on the Wii. That's why I dislike handhelds.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
If they were only going to list one Donkey Kong Country game, it should have been Donkey Kong Country 2.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
It's a Rareware game, for some reason, NP are still butthurt that Microsoft bought them but fail to realize that Nintendo sold Rare in the first place.

smashbot226

Smash Master
And then they made Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Which made me cry. I tried doing the ENTIRE game on foot. So disappointing.

On topic, this list really IS old. I mean, dang, '05??? The only thing I disagree with is PM: 1000 Year Door beating the original PM.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
If they were only going to list one Donkey Kong Country game, it should have been Donkey Kong Country 2.
I was thinking this myself but then again all the casual gamers around me love DKC 1 and don't really care for DKC2 and 3 all that much. This might be the same for other casual gamers around the world, but I can't say for sure. DKC 2 Is definately the best and most challanging though. DKC 1 was well known for it's simplistic nature levels like the snow, jungle, forest, ocean and cave.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
And then they made Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Which made me cry. I tried doing the ENTIRE game on foot. So disappointing.

On topic, this list really IS old. I mean, dang, '05??? The only thing I disagree with is PM: 1000 Year Door beating the original PM.
I know that the original Paper Mario is better than Thousand Year Door. But I'm not sure what makes it better. Is it because the plot is less involved? Dungeons are shorter? Dungeon mechanics are more constant? There has to be something that makes Paper Mario easier to play repeatedly than PM: TTYD.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom