• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo of Canada and EB Games Present: Worst Brawl Tournament Ever

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
What other changes? =O I heard from piegopher that the location he went to allowed people to choose characters as well. Items on Medium, Random Stages, only starting stages and characters were available, WiiMote only.

D Athier

Smash Rookie
Yeah. The Nintendo guy actually told us that the rules were changed a while ago, they just could never update the site in time. Those are the changes everyone went through.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Items on Medium, Random Stages, only starting stages and characters were available, WiiMote only.
Those are the new rules? How about amount of stock?

I am SO going to camp with Fox on banned levels...stupid Nintendo. Why can't we just play on Battlefield everytime?

D Athier

Smash Rookie
Those are the new rules? How about amount of stock?

I am SO going to camp with Fox on banned levels...stupid Nintendo. Why can't we just play on Battlefield everytime?
Stock was... Four man on the first round, six on the second, and ten on the final round.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Are you freakin serious? 4, 6, 10? That's going to take forever o_o;

Anth0ny, how are you going to camp with Fox on levels you don't know will be picked. And if you do, what makes you think they won't all come after you? ;) You gotta camp smart.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Are you freakin serious? 4, 6, 10? That's going to take forever o_o;

Anth0ny, how are you going to camp with Fox on levels you don't know will be picked. And if you do, what makes you think they won't all come after you? ;) You gotta camp smart.
Yeah, change of plans. Pikachu thunder spam with the Wiimote is really easy, and I'm not even half bad with Pikachu anyways. Thunder is a killer in FFAs.

DarkSnake aka DS

Smash Rookie
I was at Brossard, Qc for the Smash tournament(some of you might see me probably) and i lost at 1st round. I was Mario vs Pitt vs Sheik and i was eliminated in 2nd place by Sheik's final smash ( i didn't know that the arrow can cross the wall :( next time i'll remember it :D) it was fun, but i didn't like the rules.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Made it past the first round (it was a 1 v 1 with 4 stock). However, I was the last person to lose in the second round. It was a 6 stock free for all and I survived to fight a Lucas with 4 stock. I only had 2 stock and he eliminated me.

Stupid items/controller/level. JOHN JOHN JOHN! :p

ShiFu

Smash Cadet
I got lucky (I'm just a noob and this was my first tournament) and made it to regionals. Anyone else going to Vaughn Mills or know someone who is?

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
Firestorm, I saw you at the tournament, didn't I? I was talking to you, along with the blond guy, the girl who played as Sheik and some other people. I was the brown kid with the Zelda t shirt. IMO, the tournament sucked. Sure, I got a Brawl T shirt and came in 3rd, but the whole tournament was pretty lame. Items ruined it and some of the stock limits were insane. 10 stock? What the hell? Random stages were very bad too.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Yeah you did. I didn't mind the items TOO much but WiiMote killed it. I was supposed to practice this morning with it to get used to it but I was called in for work. I actually came straight from work (I work at Metro) so I left once my match was done. My legs were killing me, had been standing since 9:30 AM.

The guy I played wasn't too used to the controls either. Seemed like a cool guy. Who won? It was your brother in that hilarious Yoshi's Island Melee Fox vs Lucas match right?

Also, **** people, YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE A FINAL SMASH AS SOON AS YOU GET IT! People seemed to think I didn't know how to activate it because I didn't use it right away. I'd just KOed my opponent and it's Meta Knight's Final Smash. I wanted to keep it for the KO so I built up his damage before using it. Sure he can take it back but it's a risk I was willing to take after the setback I got after being Super Spicy Curry'd. But apparently I hadn't done enough damage =[ Usually 40% kills.

tripled153

Smash Rookie
I just came back from the toronto tourney. <_<

Round 1. it was 1 on 1 me and a friend on pictochat cuz of no shows. so we agreed no items and ended up pissing everyone off. Fair match Ike versus yoshi. Every time and item came wed toss it off the stage or attack nothing and the crowd response was hilarious never have I heard such whining. I won barely with 1 stock left when Yoshi accidentally jumped into my F-smash.

Round 2. 4 player on Onett where I totally dominated and lost to a camping pit with two knockouts and 1 stock left. I had ten knockouts. If I was smart and stopped getting hit by cars I would've won.

I watched the last battle(it was painful) but the Pit that eliminated me lost first and the winner was a camping zelda who got a hammer while right in front of pikachu for the win.

Never have I seen such spam in my life.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I got lucky (I'm just a noob and this was my first tournament) and made it to regionals. Anyone else going to Vaughn Mills or know someone who is?
ShiFu, I think we played each other in Round 1 of that tournament because all the other people who played were white and in my game I faced 2 Asians in a 3p FFA.

And, it is kinda hard to use the wii-mote because you're so limited and can't do everything you want to but, that didn't stop me from winning (Toronto) regionals :) lol.

ShiFu

Smash Cadet
ShiFu, I think we played each other in Round 1 of that tournament because all the other people who played were white and in my game I faced 2 Asians in a 3p FFA.

And, it is kinda hard to use the wii-mote because you're so limited and can't do everything you want to but, that didn't stop me from winning (Toronto) regionals :) lol.
Tell me you won the whole thing today then... so I can at least say I lost to the winner. >> Too bad I didn't see this sooner, I would have wished you luck.

If you remember me, I was the Lucas... got knocked out first >> I coulda sworn that Kirby was after me for like the entire match until the end. Lol. And all you had to do was stand on the edge and spam the arrow. Good game though. ^^

atlast4

Smash Rookie
I just came back from the toronto tourney. <_<

Round 1. it was 1 on 1 me and a friend on pictochat cuz of no shows. so we agreed no items and ended up pissing everyone off. Fair match Ike versus yoshi. Every time and item came wed toss it off the stage or attack nothing and the crowd response was hilarious never have I heard such whining. I won barely with 1 stock left when Yoshi accidentally jumped into my F-smash.

Round 2. 4 player on Onett where I totally dominated and lost to a camping pit with two knockouts and 1 stock left. I had ten knockouts. If I was smart and stopped getting hit by cars I would've won.

I watched the last battle(it was painful) but the Pit that eliminated me lost first and the winner was a camping zelda who got a hammer while right in front of pikachu for the win.

Never have I seen such spam in my life.

haha i was that zelda and i saw ur match against yoshi you guys completely ignored the smashball...and whats the point of playing fair if there is money involved. j/k
u were the guy with the nintendo sweater right?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Anyone who went to this and competed is an embarrassment to good players.
yeah, ok. Crazy elitists. It's a competition for a pretty **** good prize. One of the highest payouts in Canada. Maybe highest. Not sure what At Melee's End and Trans Canada #2 were at with regards to the pot.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Every game had items on Medium and default characters and stages as stated before in the original post.

This is the way it was set up:

Round Robin: 3 stock single game
Playoffs: 10 stock single game
5th and 4th rank fight for a place in the semi's -> 1v4 and 2v3 -> Finals -> winner

I got a bad break on Onett in the RR vs the Vancouver guy when something weird happened and I got bumper-killed to make it 3-1 in stocks right after he killed my first stock. I placed 3rd in the RR. And another bad break in the Semi's vs the Calgary guy.

In semi's vs the Calgary guy: We're fighting along, blah blah and he goes up 3-1 in stocks and I take him down to 1 in a comeback and I get the most awesome item ever after I kill his 2nd last stock: The Fan. We're fighting on Rainbow Cruise and it's at the end of the cycle and I'm expecting the Boat to be there so I drop to land on it but, the boat didn't appear and I died.

No johns right? lol

The Vancouver guy won the tournament. He got a wrestling belt with the Brawl emblem on it. He won with Zelda.

After the tournament ended the Space Channel interviewed the winner and the finalist for "Hypaspace".

I was able to talk to the main guy who seemed to have organized all this and told him about our tournaments and rulesets. I told him about how we do Bo3s and no items and everything unlocked and 3/4 stock timed matches and he was quite intrigued by it and the history of the rulesets we've created for our tournaments. I also introduced the idea of "Banned stages" to him and he agreed with me that the no items and banned stages and everything would make for a better tournament and better feedback on the tournaments because it would be more skill-based than item luck.

He said that they might do another national tournament like this in a few years so, hopefully keep what I said in the back of his mind and put out a better tournament set-up should another tournament arise.

Also, the 5 finalists are going to be kept on file so, we'd be one of the first they'd contact about a new tournament.

I played the Vancouver guy and the Calgary guy after the tournament and they're pretty solid players (not using the wii-mote).

The Montreal guy was pretty cool too but, he wasn't that good.

The Halifax guy was EXTREMELY immature for his age and none of us (the finalists) felt comfortable being near him. Suffice it to say he was the worst one there and was only there because no one showed up for the Halifax tourney. *shrugs*

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
LMAO YOU WENT TO THIS? AHAHAHAHHAA

OMGBBQ

this is too good

ok guys: let me tell you something:

THIS WASNT A COMPETITION. IT WAS A BUNCH OF LITTLE KIDS RUNNING AROUND LAUGHING AND PRETENDING THAT THEY WERE COMPETING.

Nintendo is ******** for thinking that this even counted as a tournament. Winning it doesn't say anything and certainly doesn't show any amount of skill at all. There are two main reasons for this:

1) the turnout at this tournament didn't represent the most important demographic in the smash community, which were the good players, because they knew better than to go to this ****.

2) items were on. need i say more? I've heard recount after recount about how lucky item spawns skewed the result. Oh and free for alls? don't make me laugh.

All in all this isn't a tournament worth talking about. Eric, why do you only post in the most noobish thread in the Canada forums?

Oh and when D.B said that anyone who went to this was an embarrassment to good players, he was kind of right. I would say he was right if he had said that anyone who took this thing seriously is ********. Then we're getting somewhere.

lol trolling is fun

Grmo

Smash Champion
Firestorm: the payouts weren't as good because those tournaments are hosted by ordinary people (like me, who is hosting another pretty big tournament this saturday (like, 100+ people)) so we can't give the same payout that a corporation like Nintendo can. Moreover we do it because its fun; Nintendo did it to promote Brawl.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
yeah, ok. Crazy elitists. It's a competition for a pretty **** good prize. One of the highest payouts in Canada. Maybe highest. Not sure what At Melee's End and Trans Canada #2 were at with regards to the pot.
if you killed yourself nobody here would care.

edit: i should explain myself.

canada sucks for smash. we don't have a large community. so obviously when pot size is dependent on player availability, the prizes are smaller. so yes, nintendo could provide a bigger pot because they're rich.

next, we're gigantic elitists for not giong to a tournament with a stupid ruleset. don't even argue that. this tournament ruleset was stupid. it's common sense that their ruels are stupid. you have to use the wiimote? 4 player ffa? sounds stupid.

this was just nintendo's way of getting its fan-sheep to suck its gigantic e-penis. we decided not to go. omgwtfbbq.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I hope all of Ontario isn't as ******** as you two ._. Seriously. I didn't say our tournaments sucked because we had lower payouts. I said the reason for going was the high payout. Also, nobody said you were idiots for not going, we think you're idiots for laughing at those who did go. Now shut the **** up and stop giving our country and our community a bad name. Thank you.

Grmo

Smash Champion
well, no, we don't give our community a bad name because the two of us are actually huge contributors to the community (see: hosting lots of tournaments). and actually both of us are well liked in the community, because we're actually not ********, and we're respected for running good tournaments. The rest of Ontario are also not ********.

Actually no, I wasn't laughing at you guys for going, just for going and trying to win.

I know you didn't say ours sucked, but it was inadvertently implicit in saying that "this tournament has a big payout" that you thought it was better.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Firestorm88, I know these guys IRL and have been to their tournaments so trust me when I say this: You're not going to win this argument.

As much as your heart may be in the right place... they're right. Nintendo's "tournament" wasn't a tournament at all, it was a joke. It was just some big publicity stunt for Nintendo to advertise SSBB as a 4p FFA family-fun game. While we (the competitive smash community) play the game as competitive as possible with strict rulesets to make it as competitive as possible.

I'm not gonna lie; the only reason why I even considered this was the free trip to the Nintendo World Store in New York. If they didn't have a prize like that then I wouldn't have given it a second thought and would have gone to the other tournament that was going on on the same day.

For the Record: Surprisingly enough, there were actually no one under the age of 18 that ended up in the finals, unless you count the Halifax guy because he had the maturity of a 10-year-old.

And I posted here as a service to whomever wants to read it and know what happened there. This is mostly geared towards others who had participated in the Joke and are curious to know what happened in the finals and partly geared to other random noobs who are into this crap. Obviously, it wasn't geared towards the competitive smash community, for the idea in general is ludicrous to start with, so why bother looking at the results?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
well, no, we don't give our community a bad name because the two of us are actually huge contributors to the community (see: hosting lots of tournaments). and actually both of us are well liked in the community, because we're actually not ********, and we're respected for running good tournaments. The rest of Ontario are also not ********.

Actually no, I wasn't laughing at you guys for going, just for going and trying to win.

I know you didn't say ours sucked, but it was inadvertently implicit in saying that "this tournament has a big payout" that you thought it was better.
A bigger payout doesn't make it a better tournament. It makes it a tournament worth going to and worth trying to win. Because, you know, good prize. I'd rather go to any of the competitive tournaments rather than the EB one because they're more fun. Actually, I sorta did. I went to this one on Friday because the next two days had a 2-day tournament by us.

Firestorm88, I know these guys IRL and have been to their tournaments so trust me when I say this: You're not going to win this argument.

As much as your heart may be in the right place... they're right. Nintendo's "tournament" wasn't a tournament at all, it was a joke. It was just some big publicity stunt for Nintendo to advertise SSBB as a 4p FFA family-fun game. While we (the competitive smash community) play the game as competitive as possible with strict rulesets to make it as competitive as possible.

I'm not gonna lie; the only reason why I even considered this was the free trip to the Nintendo World Store in New York. If they didn't have a prize like that then I wouldn't have given it a second thought and would have gone to the other tournament that was going on on the same day.

For the Record: Surprisingly enough, there were actually no one under the age of 18 that ended up in the finals, unless you count the Halifax guy because he had the maturity of a 10-year-old.

And I posted here as a service to whomever wants to read it and know what happened there. This is mostly geared towards others who had participated in the Joke and are curious to know what happened in the finals and partly geared to other random noobs who are into this crap. Obviously, it wasn't geared towards the competitive smash community, for the idea in general is ludicrous to start with, so why bother looking at the results?
It was a bit of a joke and it was definitely a publicity stunt. Doesn't mean it wasn't a tournament. Just a tournament using different, crappier, rules. People were still playing to win under the rules imposed due to the prize. I wouldn't have participated if it weren't for the prize either.

Grmo

Smash Champion
I think it was cruel to give people motivation to try to win at something that's so incredibly messed up that players are likely to throw down their controller in frustration at the impending field of run on sentences.

Switchblade

Smash Journeyman
I guess it's hard to expect a lot in regards to reading comprehension from someone who uses "u".
It's even funnier how you just up and changed topic because of my laziness to fully spell out "you". That still doesnt change the fact you're defening such a shitty tournament.

Now that leaves me to question. why are you still defending this tournament. Hell you know what, I dont even consider this thing a tournament. Winning this means nothing as far as any skill goes.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I didn't change the subject. You should read my posts. I'm saying people who went to the tournament and wanted to win aren't ********, they just wanted a shot at the prize and like playing Smash.

The tournament itself's biggest issues were: WiiMote only and Free for Alls. Even then, WiiMote only technically isn't too bad as you could practice with it. Free for Alls killed it. I disliked the tournament. It wasn't that great. However, people attacking those who went to the tournament are my problem in this thread.

Oh, and it was just a promotion, but it was still a tournament. A tournament with rules we disagreed with, but a tournament nonetheless.

Switchblade

Smash Journeyman
but you aren't answering my question. Why defend such a sad excuse of a marketing ploy. it was a horrid event with horrid ways of showing results. We will attack people for going to such crappy event all we **** well please, because the people who won it think they are good. Anyone to have agreed to such stupid rules would be out of their mind. So I fully agree with what my peers have been saying this entire time.

Aww but what the hell do we know? we only run TWO regular BI-WEEKLIES. ONE TRI-WEEKLY. And ONE MONTHLY. So we must know very little to nothing about what a GOOD tournament is.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
The location I went to (etobicoke) for the preliminaries had only have of the people signed up appear on time. So instead of timed random character, it was 5 or more (!!!) stock matches with any default character. I ended up going head to head with my friend with Fox while he was using Fox (big mistake since I don't use Fox). I committed suicide with the landmaster by accident which brought me one stock behind him, but I managed to almost beat him (got him to ~120% on his last stock before he ko'd me). He then went on to the third round where he sucked horribly and lost by three stock. Which is dumb, because the people he was facing were average at best.

Anyways yeah I didn't enjoy the tournament. Wiimotes were a terrible handicap.

Top Bottom