• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Museum Direct Recap

Museum.jpg

Earlier this week, Nintendo dropped a direct about the Nintendo Museum opening in Kyoto, Japan. We learned quite a bit about the museum as a result, so let’s recap what was shown.

The presentation opened with Shigeru Miyamoto discussing the museum’s site. Turns out the location has some history, it's the former Uji Ogura plant where Nintendo started off producing their Hanafuda cards. This notably was also where Nintendo conducted their quality assurance checks during the NES/Famicom era. As for the actual museum itself, the first thing we got to see was the second floor. It is filled with a plethora of Nintendo memorabilia. This includes toys, games, and even designs of in-game objects. The games and toys are arranged by time periods, and the designs seem to show how they evolved over time

Next, we saw the first floor which is host to eight interactive attractions. These include Ultra Machine SP, Zapper & Scope SP, and even an exhibit with giant controllers. And of course, the giant controllers can be used to play games, including Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 64. Additionally, there’s a Hanafuda card workshop, a Café, and a merchandise shop.

The Nintendo Museum will open to the public on October 2nd, 2024. Ticket prices for the Nintendo Museum will differ depending on the attendees’ age:
  • Attendees 18 years old and over: JP¥3,300 yen (Roughly $23 USD / €20 Euro )
  • Attendees 12 to 17 years old: JP¥2,200 yen (Roughly $15 USD / €14 Euro)
  • Attendees 6 to 11 years old: JP¥1,100 yen (Roughly $8 USD / €7 Euro)
  • Attendees 5 years old and under: Free

Author’s Note: The whole place looks super cool to me. If I ever happen to be in Kyoto, I’ll definitely be paying this a visit. Also, I really want to know how playing a game with a giant controller feels, that looks like a blast! What do you think? Please let us know in the comments below!

Credits:
Writing: Zerp Zerp
Thumbnail Graphic: Zerp Zerp
Social: Zerp Zerp

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

Looks incredibly fun, I absolutely love the idea of viewing exhibits with all the Nintendo consoles and games throughout the company's rich history, alongside the products that they made before they were a video game company. The custom burger cafe and exclusive Nintendo merchandise gift shop interest me as well. I also love the idea of the giant controllers, the zapper game, and the baseball game, looks like great fun.

If I had the money and time to go to Japan, I'd love to visit, but unfortunately, not really big on either of those right now, (also not really big on the energy need to travel part, I'm on the eastern half of the US so that would be an extremely long and exhausting plane flight), so I guess my best hope is just hoping for a US based sister location to open up.

Last edited:
This looks really bad, at least from the perspective of being a museum. They're openly advertising on the site that the games are provided without context, which is the opposite of what a museum should be doing, and a majority of the games have to be played with some kind of gimmick like giant controllers or shadow puppets. They really should've just gone all-in on the concept of it being a "Nintendo arcade" instead of attaching the word "museum" to it. There's a lot of really cool historcial artefacts, but without context they're just random toys, it's the same experience as going to a Cex or charity shop and not buying anything.

The fact that it is extremely likely that Bubsy in the Purrfect Collection will be a better-made historical document than the physical brick-and-mortar Nintendo Museum in Japan is both worrying and relieving at once. Maybe Atari 50 set my expecations too high with its open admission of Atari devs being potheads who were paid in turkey coupons.

Last edited:
This looks really bad, at least from the perspective of being a museum. They're openly advertising on the site that the games are provided without context, which is the opposite of what a museum should be doing, and a majority of the games have to be played with some kind of gimmick like giant controllers or shadow puppets. They really should've just gone all-in on the concept of it being a "Nintendo arcade" instead of attaching the word "museum" to it. There's a lot of really cool historcial artefacts, but without context they're just random toys, it's the same experience as going to a Cex or charity shop and not buying anything.

The fact that it is extremely likely that Bubsy in the Purrfect Collection will be a better-made historical document than the physical brick-and-mortar Nintendo Museum in Japan is both worrying and relieving at once. Maybe Atari 50 set my expecations too high with its open admission of Atari devs being potheads who were paid in turkey coupons.
you know wario you spend far to much effort on hating things. You really gotta learn to ignore them

Top Bottom