• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo hosts Brawl tourneys starting this Saturday

Bullet

Smash Cadet
Think thats bad? they completely screw the South East corner.

You cant take any tournament seriously rather then online ones, thats where it will be, not this random location stuff and no Wifi.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
i'm going to be heading down with some friends to the San Fran tourney next friday. hopefully that's early enough to get me a spot.

KungLao

Smash Rookie
There is never anything serious about these Nintendo tournaments.

I'm surprised it's even 1v1 to be honest.

With that said....see you in SF.

Bullet

Smash Cadet
Actually anyone going to these tournys will be taking it seriously...have you not seen the prizes?
I dont think its worth going to though unless you live within 50-60 miles of the tournament.

I mean they got tournaments in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, and New York City.......ok.

So all major cities, got it.

lets just ignore South East like Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and and the list goes on, forget about the middle part of the U.S., forget about northern part like Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, and the list goes on there.

So I am going to travel 2,000+ miles and hope some ******* dont abuse Pit in Smash Bros brawl to win a Crystal Wii? ok While the crystal Wii would sell for butt tons, you probably wont even get what you put into the trip if you live far outside those 4 cities, not to mention traveling 2000+ miles for a tournament I might not even be guaranteed to get in is not even worth it.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
Well, me and 2 friends have decided to go, so I got my ride and we're gonna show at the Worcester one. I'm so nervous, never done a tournament before, much less one for a game I have yet to play XD My only solace is that UCLA 5 is on the same day as the Worcester tourney, so I won't have to worry about Ken or Forward or some insane pro player being there to utterly humiliate us o.o

littlewolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
littlewolf128
Yeah i'm nervous too and i'm going tomorrow. But I am most nervous about just getting in.

batsman415

Smash Cadet
Ill be at the San Fran one by 6 in the morning, ftw. Never done a real tourney before, and thinking about you already one something if you make it in. Then again, 8 hours is a long time...............

ILOVESMASHBROTHERS

Smash Cadet
Ho boy, its nice living on campus at WPI :D

Its also nice to have been playing Brawl for the past week :3

By the time this tournament rolls around me and my chums should be ready for all newcomers. Obviously I expect some competition from the likes of PC Chris and KDJ (since they're pretty local)... luckily, this game is so new us veteran Melee players should all be on an equal playing field.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
Aw, crap, those two guys are coming?Hopefully I get the chance to fight one of them, it'd help improve my fighting game overall, since admittedly I'm pretty poor...Anyways, what's everyone's character choices gonna be?I'm thinking Wario for myself, one of my friends is going Sonic, and the other was good with Ganondorf in Melee, so I'm assuming he's gonna try him out

EDIT: Come to think of it, the article didn't mention if the tournament was BYOC or not (Bring your own controller) I doubt it, but I should bring my controller just in case, I suppose?

ILOVESMASHBROTHERS

Smash Cadet
Aw, crap, those two guys are coming?Hopefully I get the chance to fight one of them, it'd help improve my fighting game overall, since admittedly I'm pretty poor...Anyways, what's everyone's character choices gonna be?I'm thinking Wario for myself, one of my friends is going Sonic, and the other was good with Ganondorf in Melee, so I'm assuming he's gonna try him out

EDIT: Come to think of it, the article didn't mention if the tournament was BYOC or not (Bring your own controller) I doubt it, but I should bring my controller just in case, I suppose?
Don't even worry, they're both gosu Melee players but everyone sucks at Brawl now. Hence why all of us are honing our skills before this tournament!

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
That's also the thing, I and my friends don't have a Japanese Wii or Brawl, so we have no hands on experience with the game XD I'm relying on instinct and adaptability here. I considered using Marth, since he seems to be my best character in Melee although I suck at Melee on the whole, but I really wanna use Wario, so I'm gonna go with him. Either way, my friends and I will be happy just to play Brawl early, and I'll be content to win at least 1 or 2 matches before being eliminated ^^;

Bullet

Smash Cadet
No Im not new, but I cant call anyone in this game a Pro just because they win a few tournaments in their own backyard. When Brawl comes out, we will see whos pro and whos not, until then, no one is pro.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
No Im not new, but I cant call anyone in this game a Pro just because they win a few tournaments in their own backyard. When Brawl comes out, we will see whos pro and whos not, until then, no one is pro.
In their backyards? Sorry, but there are tons of tournaments run through this site. Large (30 to 60+) gatherings on a regular basis with some players traveling to multiple tournaments do NOT count as the trivial little tournaments you talk of. On top of that, there is TONS of shared knowledge, of players, matches, techniques. Everyone's learning from everyone, and from that knowledge, we can, without any doubt, call people pros with plenty of evidence to back it up.

I can't tell if you've never been to a real tournament, or if you're just flamebaiting...

EDIT: You meant a Melee pro, right? If you meant Brawl then I take back everything I said. ^^;

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
Just in case you missed, when people say pro here, they are talking about being pro in Melee. Of course as Brawl is barely out, Declaring himself pro at SSBBrawl is a little too early thing to do (Hugs explain it rather well in this thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=143089 )
But it seemed obvious to me that everyone here referring to the "pros" were talking about the pro in Melee.

Bullet

Smash Cadet
In their backyards? Sorry, but there are tons of tournaments run through this site. Large (30 to 60+) gatherings on a regular basis with some players traveling to multiple tournaments do NOT count as the trivial little tournaments you talk of. On top of that, there is TONS of shared knowledge, of players, matches, techniques. Everyone's learning from everyone, and from that knowledge, we can, without any doubt, call people pros with plenty of evidence to back it up.

I can't tell if you've never been to a real tournament, or if you're just flamebaiting...

EDIT: You meant a Melee pro, right? If you meant Brawl then I take back everything I said. ^^;
Tournaments run through this site dont mean much either, this site only accounts for what? not even 10% of melee players? and I doubt it will even account for 10% of the Brawl players upcoming.

I am sorry though but theirs no such thing as a pro player in melee, and your not pro because you win a tournament gathering through this site which dont even host 10% of the Smash Bros Melee player base. Find me some Melee tournament that hits 30-50 cities a year and all 48 states (not including Hawaii and Alaska) and then a legitimate player who could be pro can be declared upon all the winners of those tournaments meeting in 1 place.

This is why I say Brawl will show whos pro and whos not, dont need all of this backyard crap like a tournament hosted through this site, which is what it is, a backyard tournament. With Wifi its going to prove alot and I bet anyone thats considered "PRO" in the eyes of players on this site is going to be bought to a rude awakening later on in Brawl.

Mewruler

Smash Cadet
I would easily go to the one in NYC but it would be stupid, cause brawl comes out that day anyway.....this is why I hate people in Boston*Yankee&Giant fan here*

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
This is why I say Brawl will show whos pro and whos not, dont need all of this backyard crap like a tournament hosted through this site, which is what it is, a backyard tournament. With Wifi its going to prove alot and I bet anyone thats considered "PRO" in the eyes of players on this site is going to be bought to a rude awakening later on in Brawl.
Wifi will not really be the proving ground you make it out to be...for one thing, although there will be Wifi tournaments/leagues and such, real tournaments will always be the top of the competition. Yea, perhaps some good players who would not otherwise have been 'pro' will be discovered over Wifi, but no selfrespecting fighting game aficionado would ever play ONLY Wifi matches over going to a real tournament. Playing a fighter over the net can mess with a players timing due to lag, for one...and for two, Wifi simply can't replicate the feel of playing with people right next to you, much less a largescale tournament.

...That is not to say that I haven't signed up for the Wifi Wars Smash League..I believe playing on Wifi will drastically help improve my game. Just the real tests come from real-life tournaments, I think.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Tournaments run through this site dont mean much either, this site only accounts for what? not even 10% of melee players? and I doubt it will even account for 10% of the Brawl players upcoming.

I am sorry though but theirs no such thing as a pro player in melee, and your not pro because you win a tournament gathering through this site which dont even host 10% of the Smash Bros Melee player base. Find me some Melee tournament that hits 30-50 cities a year and all 48 states (not including Hawaii and Alaska) and then a legitimate player who could be pro can be declared upon all the winners of those tournaments meeting in 1 place.

:laugh:
You're in for a rude awakening if you think someone who plays at home with his local area is going to be better than someone who consistently plays people from all over the country for years. If you played one of the top Melee players now, they'd probably have seen the same crap you'd try to do so many times that they'd be able to know what you'll do before even you do.

Could you beat me? Possibly. Likely. I don't travel either. I only go to tournaments in my area every few months.

Could you beat Ken, PC Chris, Chu Dat, Azen, HugS, Gimpyfish, Eggz, chesterr, pkmnvodka, Kage, Patooty.... See. I'm going from top in the world and regional greats. No. They have the experience. They have the technical skill.

Soon I'm going to hear that Wayne Gretzky isn't a professional because he only played 10% of the hockey players. Or Michael Jordan because he only played 10% of the world's basketball players. God.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
Anybody know if there is an online retransmission or something? I can't participate (me being in Belgium and everything) but I would like at least to see those tournaments.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman

10%? Please, stop pulling numbers out of your sphincter. Almost every Melee competitions (big or small) are at least mentioned here.

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
Hey, guys. In order to enter a tournament, if you are planning to go, you have to be over 18. I tried to get into the one today in LA, but I couldn't unless I was over 18. So, for all of you 16 and 17 year old guys out there that are planning to camp out over night, it looks like there will be no Brawl for you.

Unless you, like, make a fake I.D.

Bullet

Smash Cadet
:laugh:
You're in for a rude awakening if you think someone who plays at home with his local area is going to be better than someone who consistently plays people from all over the country for years. If you played one of the top Melee players now, they'd probably have seen the same crap you'd try to do so many times that they'd be able to know what you'll do before even you do.

Could you beat me? Possibly. Likely. I don't travel either. I only go to tournaments in my area every few months.

Could you beat Ken, PC Chris, Chu Dat, Azen, HugS, Gimpyfish, Eggz, chesterr, pkmnvodka, Kage, Patooty.... See. I'm going from top in the world and regional greats. No. They have the experience. They have the technical skill.

Soon I'm going to hear that Wayne Gretzky isn't a professional because he only played 10% of the hockey players. Or Michael Jordan because he only played 10% of the world's basketball players. God.
Well I guess we going to find out in Brawl what these "pros" are made of.

Because the only thing certain about playing in a tournament against good players is to never be certain about anything.

PS I watched Gimpyfish on youtube, the amount of misplaying he does is ridiculous.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
Oh, yes, don't forget...anyone who went to the L.A. one care to tell us more about the tournament rules and who won it? It'd be cool to know who the finalists are and how good they are in advance...

Top Bottom