• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo hosts Brawl tourneys starting this Saturday

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Hey, guys. In order to enter a tournament, if you are planning to go, you have to be over 18. I tried to get into the one today in LA, but I couldn't unless I was over 18. So, for all of you 16 and 17 year old guys out there that are planning to camp out over night, it looks like there will be no Brawl for you.

Unless you, like, make a fake I.D.
That's lame that they didn't mention anything of the sort in advance. Sorry you got jipped. :<

Can you comment on how big the lines were? Rules of the tourney, etc?

Heroic

Smash Cadet
don't speak of what you don't know

Well I guess we going to find out in Brawl what these "pros" are made of.

Because the only thing certain about playing in a tournament against good players is to never be certain about anything.

PS I watched Gimpyfish on youtube, the amount of misplaying he does is ridiculous.
You man, are an idiot.

Melee has no pros? where do you come from to tell us that? Are you pro yourself? Backyard tournaments? You obviously never went to a tournament to say this, since you would have been ***** by any good player present there.

The game, as you may tink, isn't about just dodging and smashing. There are A LOT more things then just that.

These backyard tournaments you speak of are the official melee tournaments. There is no national league or whatever. There is no underground player practicing against computers in his basement that is gonna come and turn the competitive scene upside down.

Just don't speak of what you don't know.

here is a taste of what you can expect from good players at tournaments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw8S35JN6Uc

haha, i just noticed the join date -.- february 2008

Bullet

Smash Cadet
I dont pay much attention to this forum, I consider it a joke to the Smash Bros game in general when I see the idiots on it.

One thing I been able to gather so far about the "proclaimed Pros" of Melee is that they all live in 1 place in Washington and proclaim to be the best in the World.

and omg that link, thats good players? I hate to see bad players. Especially the idiot who plays Falco going against Marth.

So far all I hear from people on this forum is excuses, with Brawl upcoming, its put up or shutup. and I dont think these "pros" is going to do crap when it comes to Brawl. I am already signed up for MLG Singles ladder, lets see if they show up and even come close to being at the top of the ladder.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Anyone have an update on the rules yet? Sadly I'm guessing there are going to be items, but I would at least like it to be stock and 1v1.

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
That's lame that they didn't mention anything of the sort in advance. Sorry you got jipped. :<

Can you comment on how big the lines were? Rules of the tourney, etc?
Well, while in the line, there was no talk of what the rules for the tourny were. They did hand out some free Nintendo junk to hush up the line while we waited, though. I got there at 10 AM (Tourney started at 3 PM), and the lin was probably around 100-150 people long. Keep in mind, this is LA. So Cal is one of the smashing capitals of the country, so unless you're in New York, I think that showing up around 3 hours before the tourney would be enough.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
****, I should have gone to the LA one. I'm only 20 minutes away, but I woke up at 10 and thought that was too late. Oh well, I'll just do the San Fran one. Does anyone have results as to how it went??

Tavo_7

BRoomer
BRoomer
For people who are planning to participate in the San Fran, Boston, or New York tourneys! Here's some info not mentioned on Nintendo site.

You must be at least 18 years old to enter and have current state I.D. card.

Come early! I was there 2 1/2 hours early and missed the 256 cap by 10 people. There should be a larger attendance for the next tourneys as more people find out about it.

Rules: 8 station set up, Single elimination bracket (1 match only), 1 on 1, All items on, 4 minute matches, Battlefield Only.

All matches are played on Classic Controller and only the starting roster is available for tourney play. After 5 matches, Ness is unlocked, but Nintendo reps step in and erase game data everytime. Also you can't use your own controller if you bring one, since Wii's are locked in some clear case.

Prizes

1st: 500$ BestBuy giftcard and trip to NY Finals
2nd: 250
3rd: 100

I don't recall hearing about 4th place prize but there could be one.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
All matches are played on Classic Controller and only the starting roster is available for tourney play. After 5 matches, Ness is unlocked, but Nintendo reps step in and erase game data everytime. Also you can't use your own controller if you bring one, since Wii's are locked in some clear case.
This being a Nintendo tourney I kinda expected time rather then stock and I also expected items, but not being able to use the game cube controller which Sakurai said himself was best for Brawl is ********.

"I suppose I would recommend the Nintendo Game Cube controller, though. I like the feel of that powerful rumble." - Masahiro Sakurai (well, technically his translator lol)

I also can't believe that they couldn't provide game data for all of the characters. Poorly designed tournament indeed. =/

Sigh@Nentendo.

Either way thanks for the information, really appreciated.

HappyBirthday

Smash Cadet
Hey, guys. In order to enter a tournament, if you are planning to go, you have to be over 18. I tried to get into the one today in LA, but I couldn't unless I was over 18. So, for all of you 16 and 17 year old guys out there that are planning to camp out over night, it looks like there will be no Brawl for you.

Unless you, like, make a fake I.D.
What could the reasoning behind this rule possibly be? Unless it just means you need a parent present, but why would they exclude a lot of people from playing unless they won't the 256 person limit to not cause that much trouble. As some have also stated the location with the most people will probably be that LA one, but that might not be true

Could someone please clarify on the age restriction and prizes and such? (some already have but i would like ultimate clarifaction

MechanisMs

Smash Rookie
Hey, i was at the LA tourney, (19 y/o) i'm pretty sure it's all the release waivers you had to sign and the fact that if you won, you would go on to the New York Final Tourney on release date for the chance to win the Crystal Wii and Signed copy of SS:BB, as well as like a $1K gift card to Best Buy.

so yeah

the rules were 1v1 items: medium, Smash balls on, 4 minutes (i think?) timed, starting roster ONLY.

8 kiosks, 16 groups, 256 contestants, i was in the 16th group, if i came to wait just 30 minutes later i wouldn't have been in (i was there in line at 12:30am)

the worst part? they were using classic controllers and there was no BYOGCN controllers allowed. so yeah :[ i got out because i'm a luigi mainer, and was pitted up against a fairly pro metaknight (i went -4 to his +4) when i was testing out King DDD. sad.

I did walk out with a $10 best buy gift card as consolation though, so it was alright.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Wouldn't that be considered spoilage?
I honestly don't think people going to this are going to care about spoilers...its a tournament for gods sake. If nothing else just put up a disclaimer that there are spoilers.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I dont pay much attention to this forum, I consider it a joke to the Smash Bros game in general when I see the idiots on it.

One thing I been able to gather so far about the "proclaimed Pros" of Melee is that they all live in 1 place in Washington and proclaim to be the best in the World.

and omg that link, thats good players? I hate to see bad players. Especially the idiot who plays Falco going against Marth.

So far all I hear from people on this forum is excuses, with Brawl upcoming, its put up or shutup. and I dont think these "pros" is going to do crap when it comes to Brawl. I am already signed up for MLG Singles ladder, lets see if they show up and even come close to being at the top of the ladder.
Then why are you speaking about something you quite clearly have no clue about? The proclaimed "pros" of Melee are from all over the world. Ken Hoang is probably the one who's been consistently the best for the longest period of time in Melee. He lives in California, not Washington. He's played players from Washington though. As well as some of the top players from the other 49 states. And Canada. And Europe. And Japan. This is worldwide kiddo, not a backyard.

As for MLG Singles ladder, a good amount of those considered the best attended every MLG tournament during their Melee pro circuit.

If you want to help this place get rid of the idiots it's full of, I'd advise you to stop posting.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I honestly don't think people going to this are going to care about spoilers...its a tournament for gods sake. If nothing else just put up a disclaimer that there are spoilers.
No. It's a promotion over a tournament. I don't think anyone honestly expected all the characters to be on... That or they were expecting way more than what this really is. A pre-release promotion.

Hey, i was at the LA tourney, (19 y/o) i'm pretty sure it's all the release waivers you had to sign and the fact that if you won, you would go on to the New York Final Tourney on release date for the chance to win the Crystal Wii and Signed copy of SS:BB, as well as like a $1K gift card to Best Buy.

so yeah

the rules were 1v1 items: medium, Smash balls on, 4 minutes (i think?) timed, starting roster ONLY.

8 kiosks, 16 groups, 256 contestants, i was in the 16th group, if i came to wait just 30 minutes later i wouldn't have been in (i was there in line at 12:30am)

the worst part? they were using classic controllers and there was no BYOGCN controllers allowed. so yeah :[ i got out because i'm a luigi mainer, and was pitted up against a fairly pro metaknight (i went -4 to his +4) when i was testing out King DDD. sad.

I did walk out with a $10 best buy gift card as consolation though, so it was alright.
Controllers were likely because Wavebirds only have 16 channels and GCN controlers would have been hard to thread through the glass. Classic is better than WiiMote at least ;)

Jael Irish

Smash Apprentice

Who the **** are you?

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
Just came back from the LA one.

A kirby user won, an Ike user (Who beat a-s) came in second.

It was fun, but there was ONE. ONE "free play" booth.

And it was 4 minutes free for alls, with a huge line. Jeez. Was worth it.

NDUDE

Smash Ace
This "tournament" is going to disappoint a LOT of people. Why have such a massive prize for just a promotion? A crystalized Wii, home theater system, etc. for winning a promotion. Not to mention minors don't have a shot, and it's only in 4 places across the country. Wow. This isn't exactly great planning on Nintendo's part...Oh well. Good luck to the contestants...:ohwell:

Bullet

Smash Cadet
nor does skilled players, I bet whoever wins these tournaments is the same ones who have the Japanese Wii and Brawl to go with it. For a Kirby user to win just proves its noobs competing.

raptorbaby10

Smash Journeyman
nor does skilled players, I bet whoever wins these tournaments is the same ones who have the Japanese Wii and Brawl to go with it. For a Kirby user to win just proves its noobs competing.
So the game's been out for a little less than 3 weeks and there are already noobs and pros? Not only that, but the game is overall a lot more balanced than Melee was. Maybe that's why Kirby came on top?

Seems to me like some are jealous they can't participate.

Bullet

Smash Cadet
So the game's been out for a little less than 3 weeks and there are already noobs and pros? Not only that, but the game is overall a lot more balanced than Melee was. Maybe that's why Kirby came on top?

Seems to me like some are jealous they can't participate.
oh yeah I am jealous because I cant participate in a tournament 2000 miles away in which it would cost more to travel then what the whole **** prize is worth. Sure whatever.,

although I would tell everyone to settle this at MLG ladder, but we all know about multiplayer ladders now dont we? stat padding, top players on the list probably couldnt pull a ****ing 2 hit combo if their life depended on it.

but according to the noobs on this ****ty forum, pros and noobs are already determined for Brawl.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
No. It's a promotion over a tournament. I don't think anyone honestly expected all the characters to be on... That or they were expecting way more than what this really is. A pre-release promotion.
It seems to me that on other promotions they made special disks for the game play with specific characters. I would at least think they could include the characters the Dojo revealed.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
I was at the LA one. Didn't come early enough to participate but it was still fun to watch. The finals were a big disappointment though. In the second-to-last match, Tingle popped up and created close to a dozen hammers and two or three golden hammers all over the place.

Also, the announcer guy seemed kind of detached from the whole thing. I must say though that his "LET'S BRAWL!!!" was very energizing.

And it was gratifying to see 90% of the Fox's get eliminated in the first round.

Heroic

Smash Cadet
troll

oh yeah I am jealous because I cant participate in a tournament 2000 miles away in which it would cost more to travel then what the whole **** prize is worth. Sure whatever.,

although I would tell everyone to settle this at MLG ladder, but we all know about multiplayer ladders now dont we? stat padding, top players on the list probably couldnt pull a ****ing 2 hit combo if their life depended on it.

but according to the noobs on this ****ty forum, pros and noobs are already determined for Brawl.
Just ignore this guy. He is most obviously a troll. It's like being attacked by a wild animal; feign death, and he'll go away.

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
Can i guarantee that ima win the SF one now or should i after i make the elite 8...i get brawl the 21st my neighbor has japanese brawl and i've been playing since it came out only thing disadvantage i'm going into this tourney with is i'm going to have to use Lucas and i hate his moveset....God time to train for this tourney....BTW whoevers going PM me if you guys wana meet up or something...
i'm going around 10AM

See anyone there

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman

that actually sounds EXACTLY like being jealous to me...

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
Aren't there any video or online retransmission of the match?

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Well, while in the line, there was no talk of what the rules for the tourny were. They did hand out some free Nintendo junk to hush up the line while we waited, though. I got there at 10 AM (Tourney started at 3 PM), and the lin was probably around 100-150 people long. Keep in mind, this is LA. So Cal is one of the smashing capitals of the country, so unless you're in New York, I think that showing up around 3 hours before the tourney would be enough.
So you think that it would be less crowded in SF? Hmmmm....

Metalknux

Smash Ace
Nintendo has no idea how to run a decent tournament. 18+ to play Smash Bros? Makes no sense. Items, too? I could see if they only turned the non game-changing ones on, but all of them? A lot of people are going to walk away from the tournament mad because of a lost match because of a hammer, bomb, etc. At least they made it 1v1 on a decent stage.

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
I wonder how the tournaments in the other cities are going to be?

too bad there's no tournaments near Washington. :(

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
It seems to me that on other promotions they made special disks for the game play with specific characters. I would at least think they could include the characters the Dojo revealed.
Those were press events before the game was finished. This is a public promotion after the game is finished. I don't think this ranks high enough up on their list of priorities to make a special version of the game for.

Top Bottom