• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Game of the Week - Animal Crossing: Wild World

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I know atmosphere is kind of an overused term when talking about games but... Wow.

DKC2 definitely has it in spades. I attribute most of it to the music. It's got a feel that's completely different from the other two.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Donkey Kong Country 2 is my favourite of the SNES Donkey Kong games, and out of those three, it's the one that I played the most. I owned a copy of it on the Super Nintendo, though I'm not sure if I ever beat it on there, but I've beaten it at least twice - once on co-op with my brother on the Wii, and once by myself on the Wii U.

Out of the DKC games, it felt the most natural/smooth in terms of difficulty - I recall some sections being quite difficult, like Toxic Tower, but the curve felt pretty natural, and the level designs were engaging and kept me interested throughout the game. (DKC1 didn't have a ton of setting variety by comparison, while I lost interest in DKC3) Out of the combinations throughout the trilogy, Diddy and Dixie felt like the best one in terms of gameplay.

Then there's the music, which is top-notch throughout the game. I recall being in university, and when we were playing that game as part of a gaming club, I heard Hot Head Bop and that alone got me looking into the full soundtrack when I got back to residence.

I don't know if it's the peak of the Donkey Kong series (I haven't played much of DKC: Tropical Freeze since my Wii U gamepad's battery life is virtually non-existent, so I can't really comment on that game), but it's definitely up there.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DKC2 is still my favorite game ever, and I don't even play it too much in order for the magic to stay alive. I mean, the overall atmosphere, music, gameplay, characters, all of it is amazing. A great jump from the already great DKC1, and no platforming game has ever come close to this to me even with modern diamonds as Tropical Freeze and Mario Wonder. 10/10. Easy.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We're going to put a pause on the update until the weekend. Thanks in advance.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can guarantee that practically none of you have played this game on original hardware.

Mother 3

Game Summary:

Mother 3 is a Japan only released finale to the Earthbound franchise. It stars Lucas, a young and shy boy who has to deal with tragic circumstances after the arrival of the Pigmask army. Along with friends Kumatora and Duster, and his lovable dog, Boney, he will have to travel across the Nowhere Islands. I can't go into the plot too much without spoiling a ton and frankly its a plot you should experience firsthand.

Gameplay wise, Mother 3 takes the turn based gameplay from its predecessors while adding a rhythm based system to the combat. When you attack, if you time your button presses to the music, you can get some bonus damage. The game follows a chapter system with a different party each chapter. Once moment you may be playing as Lucas, while the other could have you controlling Salsa the Monkey.

Initial Release:
April 20th, 2006

Playable on...
  • GBA

Notable Character Debuts:
  • Lucas:ultlucas:
  • Kumatora
  • Duster
  • Boney
  • Flint
  • Hinawa
  • Claus
  • Salsa
  • Ultimate Chimera
  • Masked Man

Current Metacritic Scores:

Players: 9.5

Confirmed Players:

Recommended by:

I haven't played this one, and there is no way for me to play it without sailing the seven seas. I hear good things and I'm sure its a good game, but I have enough games I already bought that I still need to play.

I can't really say much here.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, I could import it. :p

But no, haven't played it myself. Really cool game, but rhythm stuff I just can't get into.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Heard a lot of good things, watched some let's plays on it so I know the story and gameplay. But yeah, I could theoretically sail the seven seas for this, but same as others, my backlog of legally obtained games is high enough as is, so I'll just wait for a remake or any official release... eventually.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Way back when, I was introduced to Lucas in Brawl. I didn't connect with this character at all, the way he was portrayed in Subspace Emissary just kind of made him come off as lame. So I wrote him off for a while, until eventually caving in and trying out a little game called Mother 3 that I was hearing some great stuff about. I had played Earthbound on and off over the years before that, usually just getting up to some point in Onett before losing my save data or my attention drifting toward something else. But this time I really buckled down and committed to Mother 3, and it kind of became my favorite game of all time.

There's so much I can say about that experience that I can't concisely put into words right now, but it is such an immensely special game. There's a dichotomy present in the Mother series that I think has resonated with me deeply on a creative level, done more subtly in Earthbound but projected intensely with Mother 3. It's silly, but it's sad. It's cute, but it's terrifying. It's not aiming for cheap shock value and subversion either, these things are all equally, organically true about the Mother series. These characters connected with me on a level I had never felt before in a video game and even though I knew some of the story beats going in, they are so powerful that it never fails to stir something within me.

The gameplay kind of spoils you too, thankfully as a one-up from its predecessor Mother 3 allows you to run to make your travels more efficient. Honestly though, I think it works better here than it would have in Earthbound anyway. Mother 3 is deliberately a much more linear game, while Earthbound is more about the adventure and exploration of it all. M3 segments itself into chapters, has a pretty strict timeline of events to follow - I don't really favor one approach to the other, I think they're both good for what they're trying to achieve. The other notable gameplay quirk added to Mother 3 of course, is the rhythm based combat system. I just adore this. The soundtrack is obviously phenomenal and this mechanic utilizes it to the fullest, letting the battle themes trip over themselves and subvert expectations to create some really interesting rhythmic strings to learn. I don't have anything inherently against traditional RPG combat, but I appreciate the extra immersion here.

I could ramble on a lot more, but this is my favorite game ever. And I do implore everyone to give it a try at some point, the fan translation is fantastic and pretty damn easy to download. I wouldn't hold your breath for a proper release or a remake, and it would be a shame if you missed out on the experience for that reason. But nonetheless, it's one that I hold near and dear to my heart and has pretty much influenced the way I look at storytelling and art as a whole.

I feel blessed that Mother 3 has even received a smidge of representation in Smash at all, for how extraneous its circumstances are. Without Lucas in Brawl, I wonder if I would have played it at all. In Smash 4, Lucas' return to the series brought me to tears and in Smash Ultimate the inclusion of Kumatora and Boney in Lucas' final smash did damn near the same. I don't quite expect Lucas to be in the next game and I'm not sure what the future holds for Mother 3, but I'm grateful that Mother had this opportunity at all and made people aware of two beautiful gems.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So who is your favorite character?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So who is your favorite character?
Lucas or Claus!
wait forgot
Porky IS PROBABLY my favourite hes evil but is given just enough humanity and motive to be deep!
Also his fate is terrifiying!

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
MOTHER 3 huh? Having played it, and yes admittedly 100% illegally so, it's kind of no big surprise it never got localized. It has interessting topics and events, and characters, and I enjoyed it a lot. The battle system is a fresher version of it's predecessors and it tells a good story, albeit traumatic. It's one of the few games which story made me shed a tear back in the day. Haven't played it for long tho. Easy 8.5 / 10.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Some of you thought you figured out my patten.

But I'm willing to bet no one predicted this.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

Game Summary:
Two of gaming's biggest rivals are finally in the same game to prove who's the best. And their battleground? The 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing! Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games is a minigame collection starring various characters from the Mario and Sonic franchises. The minigames are based on real world Olympic events and utilize the console's unique control schemes. Some highlights include the 100m dash, table tennis, swimming relays and javelin throwing. The games featured multiplayer and online modes so you could prove yourself to be the best at the 400m dash.

There were also Dream Events. These special events took place in locations from the Mario and Sonic worlds and put unique spins on classic Olympic events. A meter dash may have Mario Kart style powerups, or your table tennis match could now have super moves. With Dream Events, the possibilities are endless.

The game originally released on the Wii, but a few months later a DS version was also released. While the games shared the same roster and several events, they are unique experiences. There are several unique events in each version.

Initial Release:
Wii: November 6, 2007
DS: January 17, 2008

Playable on...
  • Wii
  • DS

• NA

Wii

Critics: 67
Players: 7.4

DS

Critics: 70
Players: 7.4

Confirmed Players:

• Swamp Sensei
Recommended by:

• Swamp Sensei

I have played this game for like... an hour because a buddy brought over the Wii version once. I don't really know much about the original game other than I had a good time with it.

I did put a lot of time in the first Olympic Winter Games...game. I put a lot of time into that one and had a ton of fun.

I do like the concept though. It's not the big platformer some people dreamed of, but I thought two gaming rivals coming together for the Olympics was a cute idea and one that spawned into several great games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I own this one. I didn't play much of it, but it was very fun.

Honestly, these types of games are great~

Noipoi

Howdy!
These games are fun mini game collections.

But man, I hope that one day we can get a real Mario and Sonic adventure.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I didn't play much of the Wii version as I only rented it back in the day and maybe put in a couple of hours before becoming disinterested in it, but I do own the DS version and remember it being fun enough for what it was. The touch screen controls worked a lot better for the events than the waggle controls did in the Wii version, although I suppose it does come at the cost of ruining the bottom screen lol.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Remember i had store credit or there was some type of deal when i bought Brawl at launch at Toys R Us that decently discounted Mario Galaxy or Mario & Sonic. I choose the latter despite also buying the other crossover game of the 2 at the time. I guess i wanted a more focused crossover with other characters (particularly on the Sonic side) serving bigger roles. It just wasnt my thing. Ironically would get Mario Galaxy later which would turn into one of my favorite games in one of my favorite genres. With hindsight i guess made the wrong decision intially but out of curiosity i probably would have still gotten Mario & Sonic at some point anyway.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay, this one is gonna be an all time classic.

Kirby Super Star and Kirby Super Star Ultra

Game Summary:
Kirby Super Star is a collection of smaller Kirby games released for the SNES. While each game had the same control and gameplay style, they would each have a gimmick that would separate them from the others. All games would be traditional 2D Kirby platformers that include two player drop in co-op. New to this game, Kirby can spawn a helper. These helpers are friendly versions of the enemies found around the world and each focuses on a certain copy ability. Kirby can still jump, inhale, float and slide kick through Dream Land, just with a buddy by his side. In this game, the majority of copy abilities have multiple attacks, making each copy ability feel more like its own character as opposed to a single function like earlier games.

To quickly run through all the modes, Spring Breeze is a remake of the original Kirby's Dream Land. Dynablade is a new adventure with a world map. Gourmet Race is a race to eat more than Dedede. The Great Cave Offensive is a treasure hunting Metroidvania. Meta Knight's Revenge adds a timer and scrolling screens. Milky Way Wishes has Kirby needing to collect the copy abilities as opposed to copying them from your enemies. The Arena lets you fight against the games bosses and finally there are a couple of single button minigames to play.

The DS remake, Kirby Super Star Ultra adds even more games to play. Play through the original game as Meta Knight in Meta Knightmare Ultra. Play a remixed version of Dream Land's hard mode in Revenge of the King. Helper to Hero lets the helpers take center stage and fight the bosses and the True Arena let's Kirby take on the ultimate challenge and fight all of the new extra hard bosses.

Initial Release:
Kirby Super Star
March 21, 1996

Kirby Super Star Ultra
September 22, 2008

Playable on...
Kirby Super Star
  • SNES
  • WII
  • Wii U
  • Switch
Kirby Super Star Ultra
  • DS
  • Dynablade
  • Marx
  • Galacta Knight

Kirby Super Star Ultra

Critics: 76
Players: 8.8

Confirmed Players:

• Swamp Sensei
Recommended by:

• Swamp Sensei

I didn't play the original Kirby Super Star until I was pretty old but MAAAN... Kirby Super Star Ultra is one of my favorite games of all time. I had a severe emotional attachment to this game. When I was growing up, I'd play the game constantly. It's just so fun. It's pretty much a perfect Kirby game. I may have some minor gripes like co-op being hard to set up for Ultra, but I can't find any major flaws with the game. I absolutely love how each ability feels like its own platforming moveset. It makes every ability stand out.

I recommend it to everyone.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
My first Kirby game, and the rest is history. It made me a lifelong fan and that love has only grown with time. But even after playing every other mainline game in the series (except Squeak Squad, actually) KSSU is the first one I would recommend and still stands as my absolute favorite. It's the full package, the ultimate Kirby experience.

There's just so much to love here. You get introduced to the foundation of Kirby perfectly, and you have a couple dozen copy abilities to explore with fully fleshed out movesets. Quickly out the gate, you've played the first game in the series and you're granted the option to play more of a standard level to level platformer, or a fun little racing game, or a full exploration through a giant cave where valuable treasure lies. All of these experiences are on the shorter side, but you're granted so many options and the freedom to follow through with whatever path you feel like.

Then Revenge of Meta Knight, some of my favorite progressive storytelling in any game. I love how Kirby is treated as such a serious threat, that you are the unstoppable force and they're throwing everything they've got at you. And then closing it out with a fantastic and beautiful ending. Milky Way Wishes allows you to explore familiar lands to make your way to Galactic Nova, with a spin on the formula. Kirby starts out not able to use any copy abilities, but once you grab a copy "essence" you can use it whenever you like. So you build up into the strongest version of Kirby, and then go to fight Galactic Nova and Marx in what is still an invigorating and deeply memorable experience. The designs of Nova and Marx struck me so deeply then and they're still favorites today.

And then that's your original Kirby Super Star experience, but then we get to indulge in all the bonus content. Revenge of the King, Dedede's finest moment and the debut of the much beloved Masked Dedede. Meta Knightmare Ultra, a runthrough of the previous games as Meta Knight building up to a fight against Galacta Knight. Helper to Hero, an Arena mode that allows you to play as all the helper enemies instead of Kirby. These game modes cast a light on one of the strongest elements of the Kirby series, its characters. The extra showcase of Dedede and Meta Knight gives us all even better insight into their characters and Helper to Hero is a great option that lets us experience all the unique enemy types and decide on our favorite.

I adore Kirby's main cast so much and I think starting out with KSSU allowed me to really get to know them intimately. It's impossible not to be impacted by the bittersweetness of the Revenge of the King ending, Dedede's unstoppable drive to prove himself and the heartwarming consolation from his Waddle Dees. And how do you finish Meta Knightmare, after that Galacta Knight fight, and not think Meta Knight is the coolest? I believe Kirby's characters are some of the strongest in any platforming series, they go above and beyond to give them such engaging layers and lovable personalities and all of that is on display here.

Of course, I really can't recommend it enough if you haven't played it already. The newer games may have smoother gameplay, but KSSU still has a ton of charm and is indicative of the foundation that the series has modeled itself after to this day. Through the innovative mechanics of Kirby Super Star, and the heightened storytelling of KSSU's new modes. The series owes so much to this game... and hell, so does Smash Bros!

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Haven't played the remake but the original is really good. It has an interesting setup the way it just offers different modes for you to check out. It feels like an experiment but a really fleshed out and fun one. The little twists on the Kirby formula give each mode something unique about them that keeps things fresh as you play through the game.

Shout outs to Computer Virus for being a cool boss. Not really difficult but just creative.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'll touch upon Ultra first since there's less overall to talk about. Strong remake with Revenge of the King, Helper to Hero, & True Arena adding a heck of a lot of value to the overall package. Aesthetics come out pretty solidly with the DS hardware and there's enough QoL changes to make the overall experience very smooth. I will say I'm a bit puzzled by the fans who act there's such a gulf between Ultra and the original and rank the former so much higher than the latter. It's an improved game sure, but the 1996 release has still aged quite well and is one of the easiest games in the series to go back to.

Speaking of that 1996 game, it might be one of the most important titles in all of Kirby. I've noted before that Dream Land was the proverbial Mario Bros that birthed the series, and Adventure was the Super Mario Bros 1 that gave it its core mechanic. And along those lines, Super Star is the Super Mario Bros 3; taking all those concepts introduced in Adventure and bringing it to such great depths that the strongest mainline titles after this would be directly or indirectly inspired by it. Enemies made into helpers? Introduced in this game. Metroidvania Kirby stage designs? Introduced in this game. Varying movesets for copy abilities? Introduced in this game.

That last one is the most critical element because that idea in my estimation took Kirby from a charming series into an outright great one. Various games with have their means of generating replay value; Dream Land 2 & 3 with Animal Buddy/ability combinations and the very creative ability mixing in Kirby 64. But none were as organic and had as much genuine depth quite like what we saw here. Kirby may be a platformer with occasional puzzle elements, but it was Super Star that transformed in into a real beat em hybrid with the sheer number of potential attacks/moves at your disposal. The possibilities in something like Suplex alone forever changed the course of the series, and the fantastic results in the 2010s with Return To Dream Land, Triple Deluxe, & Planet Robobot demonstrated why this formula was so valuable.

As for the rest of the game? As I said, its till great. Each mode pulls of a decently contrasting experience (albeit some more aesthetic differences would have been nice) SNES sprite work fits the Kirby cast like a glove, and the soundtrack is one of the most underrated ones of the 16-bit generation. There are some weaknesses here and there as the 7 main games are all like smaller slice of a bigger experience, and there is no one grand quest that quite matches up to what later sequels managed.

Still though the complete package is a remarkable illustration of the gameplay variety Kirby could actually have, and that in combination with the surprisingly effective understated storytelling that was there really elevated the franchise overall. Why was Dream Land 3 so overlooked when it's a fairly enjoyable game? Because Super Star was such a complete package that even a solid Kirby game was found lacking in comparison to what it pulled off. The shadow it cast was big and deservedly so.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
My first Kirby game, and one of my first games overall. (my brother and I got a Super NES and a bunch of SNES games as a hand-me-down from my cousins as our first video game system)

I have a lot of fond memories playing through this game co-op and solo. I've bought it several times (aside from the SNES version, I got it on the Wii's Virtual Console, as part of the Dream Collection, and if they'd released a standalone version to purchase on the Switch, I probably would have gotten it there as well), though unfortunately I missed out on the DS version.

I really wish they'd bring back how you can turn most copy abilities into playable characters for a second player to control - that was a nice addition to the series, and it feels like they haven't done anything with the idea since.

EDIT: Somehow, I forgot about Kirby Star Allies incorporating it; it's been a while since I played that game, though.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
This is my first Kirby game and one of my earliest DS games. I remember getting it after Brawl and noticing how much influence the game had on the Subspace Emissary (I knew it was a remake of an older game).

I had massive nostalgia for the game of playing it on long car rides and countless holiday trips and I loved the helper system (was glad they finally brought it back in Star Allies). The music and level design was incredible, and the remake in particular managed to add lots of its own unique content to the original and make itself an identity.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I just want to give attention to one of the best ending themes in gaming history (and an excellent remix of that theme).

If they ever do a Kirby Movie after the Mario and Zelda films, an orchestrated version of this should definitely be the credits theme.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I have played. Unpopular opinion, was probably one of my least favorite Kirby games, especially compared to Dream Land 3 (on same console, 2nd favorite series game to Epic Yarn, or 3rd if you count Air Ride). Idk none of the games felt that great or memorable to me besides maybe Spring Breeze (which is a remake of the 1st Dream Land game). I guess i can appreciate them trying different things though it just didnt work at well for my tastes i guess.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Like many here, Super Star Ultra was my first Kirby game ,and man, did it leave one heck of an impression! The gameplay established in the original expands on that of all the then previous entries in the series, the gameplay itself is timeless, the variations of subgames keeps the game fresh and opens the door for new mechanics in future Kirby games as well as giving many of them clearer charactercization. My favorites are probably The Great Cave Offensive for it's exploration mechanics and Meta Knight's Revenge just for introducing the Meta Knights and being an epic mission in general.

Aside from the subgames, the Helper system also makes adventures more fun, the OST is fantastic, and it has some of the best bosses in the series.

Having gotten the game after Brawl (which Ultra released about a year after IIRC), I also noticed how many similarities the game shared with Brawl's Subspace Emissary, but it wasn't until I even found out that the game was a remake that I was realized which came first. The influence the original had on SSE is really evident, but I don't think it's a bad thing. Superstar and Ultra have incredible gameplay and along with Kirby's Adventure and Dreamland 3, set a standard for the series going forward. The game certainly got me into the Kirby series proper. I've gotten tons of Kirby games since playing this one, both old and new, and it's probably my favorite Nintendo series after the Legend of Zelda. The game's a ton of fun and has a lot of charm, but also some surprising depth as well, which itself soon became the standard for mainline Kirby games.

The remake went further than the original ,though, and expanded upon both the gameplay, various gamemodes, and even the characters. Dedede's character was expanded upon and his rivalry with Kirby and his full turn to an anti-hero was cemented for good in Revenge of the King, which also introduced Bandana Dee as a new major character, Meta Knights's goals and moveset were expanded upon in Meta Knightmare Ultra, which also brought back Nova and introduced freaking Galacta Knight, Helper to Hero gave the Helpers a chance to shine, and the True Arena gave Marx a truly nightmarish and memorable comeback with a difficult boss fight in Marx Soul, cementing his role as the entire game's final boss and continuing the tradition of Kirby games having nightmarish final bosses.

I have a lot of fond memories of this Kirby game and have it and the developers to thank for introducing me to the Kirby series, but I also think it's just a great game all around, and both versions of the game introduced a ton of new elements and established characterizations that stuck for future games. It's honestly an outstanding game, and I'd recommend it any day. Even to this day, it wouldn't be a stretch to say it's one of my top 10 favorite video games of all time.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Like many here, Super Star Ultra was my first Kirby game ,and man, did it leave one heck of an impression! The gameplay established in the original expands on that of all the then previous entries in the series, the gameplay itself is timeless, the variations of subgames keeps the game fresh and opens the door for new mechanics in future Kirby games as well as giving many of them clearer charactercization. My favorites are probably The Great Cave Offensive for it's exploration mechanics and Meta Knight's Revenge just for introducing the Meta Knights and being an epic mission in general.

Aside from the subgames, the Helper system also makes adventures more fun, the OST is fantastic, and it has some of the best bosses in the series.

Having gotten the game after Brawl (which Ultra released about a year after IIRC), I also noticed how many similarities the game shared with Brawl's Subspace Emissary, but it wasn't until I even found out that the game was a remake that I was realized which came first. The influence the original had on SSE is really evident, but I don't think it's a bad thing. Superstar and Ultra have incredible gameplay and along with Kirby's Adventure and Dreamland 3, set a standard for the series going forward. The game certainly got me into the Kirby series proper. I've gotten tons of Kirby games since playing this one, both old and new, and it's probably my favorite Nintendo series after the Legend of Zelda. The game's a ton of fun and has a lot of charm, but also some surprising depth as well, which itself soon became the standard for mainline Kirby games.

The remake went further than the original ,though, and expanded upon both the gameplay, various gamemodes, and even the characters. Dedede's character was expanded upon and his rivalry with Kirby and his full turn to an anti-hero was cemented for good in Revenge of the King, which also introduced Bandana Dee as a new major character, Meta Knights's goals and moveset were expanded upon in Meta Knightmare Ultra, which also brought back Nova and introduced freaking Galacta Knight, Helper to Hero gave the Helpers a chance to shine, and the True Arena gave Marx a truly nightmarish and memorable comeback with a difficult boss fight in Marx Soul, cementing his role as the entire game's final boss and continuing the tradition of Kirby games having nightmarish final bosses.

I have a lot of fond memories of this Kirby game and have it and the developers to thank for introducing me to the Kirby series, but I also think it's just a great game all around, and both versions of the game introduced a ton of new elements and established characterizations that stuck for future games. It's honestly an outstanding game, and I'd recommend it any day. Even to this day, it wouldn't be a stretch to say it's one of my top 10 favorite video games of all time.
Basically the same as you i cant really add anything my story with that game was very similar!
First Kirby game? Check
Its Amazing? Check
Thanks to it i became a kirby fan? Check

Instead let me share some story regarding that game!
First of the store i gone to had crouchet kirby plushies thjat you could get if you bought Epic yarn but NOOO aparently being a child and buying another kirby game doesnt qualify me for one! Welp guess whos laughing now i have like 13 Kirbys And Co.!

Also Im not the best gamer and also somewhat afraid of difficulty! so the story with this game was split into 3 eras!
Era 1: Play all the normal games
Era 2: Play the 2 easy Bossrushes
And Era 3: Years after i got it Beat the true Arena!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, in some universe... Earth is doomed.

PIKMIN

Game Summary:
On the distant world of PNF-404, a small freight captain named Olimar has crashed landed. His ship is in disarray and the planet's atmosphere is filled with deadly oxygen! Olimar has 30 days to find 30 ship parts needed to fix his ship. If he can't fix his ship by then, he'll succumb to oxygen poisoning. Thankfully, the tiny captain has found strange creatures called Pikmin. These strange creatures seem to follow his orders, but they're not terribly bright. Can Olimar get off the planet and return home?

The main gameplay of Pikmin consists of Olimar commanding the three Pikmin types. He can throw them, move them and use them to attack enemies and carry ship parts. To get more Pikmin, they will need to carry dead enemies back to the base. The player will have a limited time to accomplish their tasks. At the end of the day, the player will lose all Pikmin that are not with Olimar or near the home base. Each type of Pikmin also has unique traits. Red Pikmin are immune to fire and are better in combat. Yellow Pikmin can be thrown higher than the rest and can pick up bomb rocks. Blue Pikmin can survive in water and save drowning Pikmin. To succeed, a player needs to use each Pikmin's advantages. The main goal is to find the thirty ship parts which are scattered around the games levels. You don't have to get all of them to escape, but Olimar won't be happy.

The game was rereleased for the Wii and Switch with new control systems for each console.

Initial Release:
October 26, 2001

Playable on...
  • NGC
  • Wii
  • Switch

• Olimar
  • Red Pikmin
  • Yellow Pikmin
  • Blue Pikmin

Critics: 89
Players: 8.7

Confirmed Players:

• Swamp Sensei
Recommended by:

• Swamp Sensei

Pikmin wasn't my introduction to the franchise. That was Pikmin 2. So my expectations for a Pikmin game are a little different. Still, its a very fun game. It's definitely a bit rougher around the edges and it hasn't aged as well as 2 or 3, but its still a fun game. There is a looooot of AI related jank. If you're the kind to ger frustrated by games bugging out, maybe Pikmin (the game) isn't for you. I'd recommend it still. It's a fun time.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I've played Pikmin 2, 3 and 4 but not the first sadly.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
You can buy it on the Switch. Maybe its time to play it.
I'm busy with Pikmin 4 at the moment but in future I'd like to try it out.

How's the time limit affect things?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm busy with Pikmin 4 at the moment but in future I'd like to try it out.

How's the time limit affect things?
If you're experienced with Pikmin? You can largely ignore it. The main game is easy enough that you can definitely get more than one part per day.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Pikmin 1 was one of the first Gamecube games that I bought. It's also one of the only Gamecube games (maybe the only one) that I sold - I was eleven at the time, and the time management mechanic was overwhelming/stressful for me.

I later regretted selling it, bought it through an online store, and wound up beating and enjoying it. I prefer Pikmin 3 over Pikmin 1 (I've only played a bit of Pikmin 2, which has the opposite problem - with no limit for the number of days, there's no sense of urgency or motivation. Pikmin 3 strikes a good balance), though I haven't played much of Pikmin 4 yet. It turned out that, once you get enough Pikmin, the thirty day limit wasn't too bad; you can get several ship parts in a day in some cases.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, since I missed it like an idiot, I'm just gonna say real quick that Kirby Super Star Ultra is an amazing game, and effectively renders the original Super Star obsolete. Was obsessed with that game as a kid.

Anyway, Pikmin! I did play the original on Gamecube, but never could finish it. I was still pretty young, and stuff like the time limit and the resource management was VERY stressful. Still, I enjoy the series, and really need to get back to Pikmin 4.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I played Pikmin 2 first as well (played Pikmin 2 on Gamecube since the Wii version hadn't been released in North America at the time, then I played Pikmin 1 on Wii). The atmosphere, music, and artstyle is absolutely beautiful.

It can definitely be difficult to get into this game if you're used to the many quality of life improvements they made in Pikmin 2, 3, and 4. I never played the original Gamecube one but from what I see in videos, that version is even worse, one example being they don't even tell you what color Onion an object is being carried to (it wasn't until Pikmin 2 that they added that, and then retroactively added it into the Wii version of Pikmin 1). The Wii motion controls definitely help, this is a rare example in which I prefer having motion controls because it helps a lot with aiming where the Pikmin are being thrown. There is also definitely a lot more glitchy stuff in this game as it was the first one and they hadn't really perfected the formula yet (sort of like Smash 64 or Metroid 1). The time limit can be difficult if your new to the series and are playing without a guide or anything, but experienced players won't have much trouble.

I recently played both 1 and 2 on the Switch (and I replayed 3 Deluxe) in preparation for 4 and it was interesting to play the series in order and slowly get back all the quality of life stuff. Like after playing through all of Pikmin 1, I was grateful to finally get two captains in Pikmin 2 so I wouldn't have to run all over the map at the end of the day to gather Pikmin, I could simply leave captains in different spots. Same with in Pikmin 3 when I was so happy to finally get the "Go Here" feature back so I could send captains to do stuff on their own rather than being forced to manually guide them separately like in Pikmin 2.

Anyway back to Pikmin 1, it's crude compared to the later games, but for what it is and for the time it was released, it's a great start to the series.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Ahh... one of my childhood games though this one is stained due to... recent events.

Top Bottom