• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Direct Coming On June 11th.Count Down Thread Day 00

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I believe if he gets revealed in E3, it's GOING to surprise the world even more than Snake's reveal. Goku sounds like the perfect solution.
No, there is no perfect solution. No matter what, people will be disappointed with the roster, be it Lyn not being in it or Goku's sock being in it. What makes people exited is familiar faces that they love and remember, and an awesome trailer that proceeds to convince them to buy it. If we go pro with this, (Habanero) then how well a character plays can make the game as well. We could have a BOOK in Smash 4, as long as it plays well, I'm sure some pros will like it.
But enough of this Habanero stuff.
Surprises mean nothing if the game itself sucks. If the roster is willy-nilly like SSF2, only anime fanboys/girls will like it, with a few people accepting change.
And since when did you control the world? For all we know, everyone will boycott the game if Goku's in it. I'm already certain that 99% of Smashboards will. (that 1% being you) 4Chan is a troll cave, so don't go there.
Goku is not the perfect solution. Classic gameplay and memorable characters are. And if I remember correctly, Snake wasn't THAT big of a bomb. I'm pretty sure Ridley in the Melee trailer caused a bigger uproar.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, but chances are Sakurai has no clue on either of those fangames, so Goku can still be added. I'm going Smash 4 Perspective on this one.
Wait... so you think the only thing stopping Goku's inclusion is Sakurai potentially knowing about two fan games? You think Sakurai would normally say, "Well, I wanted Goku in, but darnit, Super Smash Flash 2 added him first! Now it's impossible!" :rotfl:

From now on assume Sakurai is actually against characters he said he was against, then you'll be closer to the "Smash 4 Perspective".

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
No, there is no perfect solution. No matter what, people will be disappointed with the roster, be it Lyn not being in it or Goku's sock being in it. What makes people exited is familiar faces that they love and remember, and an awesome trailer that proceeds to convince them to buy it. If we go pro with this, (Habanero) then how well a character plays can make the game as well. We could have a BOOK in Smash 4, as long as it plays well, I'm sure some pros will like it.
But enough of this Habanero stuff.
Surprises mean nothing if the game itself sucks. If the roster is willy-nilly like SSF2, only anime fanboys/girls will like it, with a few people accepting change.
And since when did you control the world? For all we know, everyone will boycott the game if Goku's in it. I'm already certain that 99% of Smashboards will. (that 1% being you) 4Chan is a troll cave, so don't go there.
Goku is not the perfect solution. Classic gameplay and memorable characters are. And if I remember correctly, Snake wasn't THAT big of a bomb. I'm pretty sure Ridley in the Melee trailer caused a bigger uproar.
*Turns on the Goku Revealed at E3 Button The first Game World War I starts because of a simple addition.*
SSB4 will still be a great game even though it might have Goku on it, it's not like the game industry is gonna be declined because a Super Saiyan was added.

Wait... so you think the only thing stopping Goku's inclusion is Sakurai potentially knowing about two fan games? You think Sakurai would normally say, "Well, I wanted Goku in, but darnit, Super Smash Flash 2 added him first! Now it's impossible!" :rotfl:

From now on assume Sakurai is actually against characters he said he was against, then you'll be closer to the "Smash 4 Perspective".
No more Megaman for you then.. :bee:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
No more Megaman for you then.. :bee:
Never wanted him anyways. More space for First Party characters.

Why am I arguing against an obvious troll?
@BluePikmin

Or you suffer from a brain injury and legitimately think Goku could do more than ruin Smash's legacy. If so, get off of Smashboards.

With that, I'm gone.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Never wanted him anyways. More space for First Party characters.

Why am I arguing against an obvious troll?
@BluePikmin

Or you suffer from a brain injury and legitimately think Goku could do more than ruin Smash's legacy. If so, get off of Smashboards.

With that, I'm gone.
Well, the purpose of Third Party inclusions is probably because of marketing. You could obviously see the advertising they did in the back of the box of Brawl when showed Snake and Sonic that they were in the game. (Including unique ways of making these characters play in Smash well). This can probably apply to Goku too.

Also to point out, Sakurai said having third party characters can seem pretty off for a Nintendo fighter but fit well if done right, so you could say the same thing for Goku, but adding Goku and the ability to make him fit in Smash is noteworthy, the only difference is that he is that he he is an anime character, if you at least set aside that, you'll realize he fits the roster quite well.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Also to point out, Sakurai said having third party characters can seem pretty off for a Nintendo fighter but fit well if done right, so you could say the same thing for Goku, but adding Goku and the ability to make him fit in Smash is noteworthy, the only difference is that he is that he he is an anime character, if you at least set aside that, you'll realize he fits the roster quite well.
Except Sakurai has explicitely stated that non-Nintendo must originate from a video game and have appeared in a Nintendo console. Goku fails to meet the first requirement. And I really doubt Sakurai has changed his mind since then.

And I laugh at you believing another stupid rumor.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
.Except Sakurai has explicitely stated that non-Nintendo must originate from a video game and have appeared in a Nintendo console. Goku fails to meet the first requirement. And I really doubt Sakurai has changed his mind since then.

And I laugh at you believing another stupid rumor.
He could change his criteria, just for this guy.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I guess Sakurai will add Goku then, because 10 guys on the internet want Goku in more than Roy, Mewtwo, K.Rool, Megaman, and Waluigi

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Dark link is nothing...I never had any issue with him.Attack randomly, you have a better chance if you strategically fight. (PLay like a noob, just with more of the advanced moves) If you DO have issues, use din's fire. and bring magic potions
He truIy wasn't the challenge that I expected. literally pressed the B for 30 seconds when facing Dark Link, and that was enough to defeat him.
I believe if he gets revealed in E3, it's GOING to surprise the world even more than Snake's reveal. Goku sounds like the perfect solution.
Snake's reveal surely did suprise the world, they were able to adapt his playstyle as an SSBB character. However, Snake is more related to Nintendo than Goku is. Even though I like Goku, I know that Goku wouldn't fit as a character in the Smash series.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Yeah, the part about Goku threw me off. Not that I have anything against Goku, but that's just not going to happen. Hell, a Digimon or even a Tamagotchi character has a better chance than him. Let's not even go into the licensing issues that could occur- it's just not going to happen.

Anyhow, for those who seem ignorant, Nintendo will have a small scale presentation. We don't know if it'll be live streamed but what we do know it's mostly going to be targeted at the press. Nintendo will have two other presentations for investors and retailers that we obviously won't be able to watch (and doubt anyone would really care). The Nintendo Directs will be the go to place during E3 to get all the information we need about the upcoming games from Nintendo. There people out there that still think Nintendo won't be at E3 when that just isn't the case. It's an interesting turn of events and I myself can't wait to see how it pans out. I'm actually excited about the Wii Us future as it could be a "3DS-style" turnaround. Hopefully it is.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well I accept Goku just for what he is, and what he can do.
Also Goku managed to fit in Smash just fine *in a certain fan game.

If wanted to make an exception, he'd be better off adding MIckey Mouse or Donald Duck. :p :troll: ;)
Dude, Sakurai would accept this guy, just for who he is, and the fact Namco Bandai makes the Dragon Ball games, but he could say, "Never again for non-videogame characters."

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Dude, Sakurai would accept this guy, just for who he is, and the fact Namco Bandai makes the Dragon Ball games, but he could say, "Never again for non-videogame characters."
And I insist that Namco Bandai has no control whatsoever of the Dragon Ball IP.

Get that into your thick head: NAMCO BANDAI DOES NOT OWN THE DRAGON BALL IP.

There are other companies that aren't Namco Bandai that also developed Dragon Ball games, so your logic is deeply flawed.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I put BluePikmin on my ignore list as an experiment, and wow, this page was cleared of the derp. So should I keep him on the list of ignored users or not?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
And I insist that Namco Bandai has no control whatsoever of the Dragon Ball IP.

Get that into your thick head: NAMCO BANDAI DOES NOT OWN THE DRAGON BALL IP.

There are other companies that aren't Namco Bandai that also developed Dragon Ball games, so your logic is deeply flawed.
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/88/t1704108-question-about-who-owns-rights-to-dragon-ball-franchise/

Namco Bandai Games Obtains All Platform Rights For Dragon Ball ...

I put BluePikmin on my ignore list as an experiment, and wow, this page was cleared of the derp. So should I keep him on the list of ignored users or not?
Not being a troll, just pointing out that Sakurai could at least (AT LEAST), put off the criteria, for Goku.
(Sorry for triple post)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
EDIT: I take it back. I should have looked through the article completely.

Not being a troll, just pointing out that Sakurai could at least (AT LEAST), put off the criteria, for Goku.
(Sorry for triple post)
A tip. Find out his address and send him a letter. Or better, just go to his house and beg him like Kojima did. :troll:

Jokes aside....
Please. Smash doesn't need Goku. It is a Nintendo game at heart. As FastBlade pointed out earlier, 99% of Smashboards would boycott the game if Goku was in it. Even on trollish areas like GameFAQs, users dislike the idea of non-video game characters in Smash. In addition to that, Sakurai and Nintendo would would be panned by the Gaming media. Goku being in Smash would be a lose-lose situation for both Nintendo and a majority of Smash fans.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Bandai has the rights to use the IP to make games and toys. but is still not the IP owner. Those are just publishing rights.

Also, Sakurai has previously said that characters in Smash may only be added if their origins lie with video games. Goku still doesn't meet that requirement.

Also, you should take the rumor with a grain of salt. Unless it comes from an official source, those claims aren't to be trusted.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
A tip. Find out his address and send him a letter. Or better, just go to his house and beg him like Kojima did. :troll:

Please. Smash doesn't need Goku. It is a Nintendo game at heart. As FastBlade pointed out earlier, 99% of Smashboards would boycott the game if Goku was in it. Even on trollish areas like GameFAQs, users dislike the idea of non-video game characters in Smash. In addition to that, Sakurai and Nintendo would would be panned by the Gaming media. Goku being in Smash would be a lose-lose situation for both Nintendo and a majority of Smash fans.
Yeah, and what was the purpose of third-party characters?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
In August 2012, Sakurai stated that while the addition of third-party characters appealed to fans and broadened the Smash Bros.audience, he recognized the need to narrow down their inclusion since introducing non-Nintendo characters "willy-nilly" would lose focus of the game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upcoming_Super_Smash_Bros._video_game#cite_note-August-14

While he mentions Non-nintendo characters, meaning it could apply to anyone not by Nintendo.
And Goku can broaden the fanbase of Smash.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Flaw #1: Using Wikipedia a source
Flaw #2: Failing to recognize that Sakurai has previously said that non-Nintendo characters must originate in a video game

(...) he recognized the need to narrow down their inclusion since introducing non-Nintendo characters "willy-nilly" would lose focus of the game.
You say Goku would be good, but you quote Sakurai's own words on how including non-Nintendo characters "willy-nilly" would lose the focus of the game.

You destroyed your own argument by quoting precisely the reason WHY GOKU SHOULDN'T BE IN SMASH.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Flaw #1: Using Wikipedia a source
Flaw #2: Failing to recognize that Sakurai has previously said that non-Nintendo characters must originate in a video game

You say Goku would be good, but you quote Sakurai's own words on how including non-Nintendo characters "willy-nilly" would lose the focus of the game.

You destroyed your own argument by quoting precisely the reason WHY GOKU SHOULDN'T BE IN SMASH.
His mention of non-Nintendo characters could apply to third-parties and other characters in media alike.
Also you heard that statement before about 3rd parties, right, why did you argue?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
And Goku can broaden the fanbase of Smash.
Aww man. Here we go again.

No one likes the idea of Goku being in Smash. Face it. Sakurai would be shooting himself in the foot of he pulled a ****ty move like that.

This is Sakurai's foremost criterion for character inclusion:
The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game.

Goku fails this.
His presence would make the majority boycott the game.

GUYS!!!

I found this in the Smash Directory thread.

Link to the original post:http://www.smashboards.com/threads/samuraipandas-translation-thread-updated-11-1.72642/
Link 2:http://smashboards.com/threads/the-smash-directory-thread.324410/ (Scroll to the bottom of JohnKnight's post)
SamuraiPanda said:
#31-40: Sakurai starts by saying there won't be any manga characters. Then he begins talking about other companies characters to appear in the game. Among other things, Sakurai says that the character MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform before. And to literally translate the last sentence (keep in mind this is in reference to the characters from other companies): "Anyways, at most we'll add another 1-2 characters [after Snake], maybe?"
Now who had the last laugh? :smirk:

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Who in their right mind would think Goku could make it into Smash?

Vegeta is obviously a shoe-in. :troll:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
BluePikmin: "But Sakaurai said this!"

Other people: "He also expressed this concrete statement."

BluePikmin: "Doesn't count, he could have changed his mind."

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
My body is so ready, and when I see at least one of the following charas in the Trailer I'll ***t brix and smash the nearest table out of happyness:

Waluigi
Tingle
King K. Rool
E. Gadd
Ashley
Kamek
ShyGuy

Come on Sakurai, make me happy.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I love both Shy Guy & Kamek there both cool chars but imo for Smash material unique movesets and abilities etc: i would want Kamek over Shy Guy even though Shy Guy is more popular and has more appearences being playable in Mario Spin-offs and MK7 etc:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I didn't say that, I said it was a possibility.
Why do I get the feeling we'll be hearing this catch-all phrase quite frequently in the near future once 'possibilities' people have spoken out against for years become realities? *cough* Ridley *cough*

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Why do I get the feeling we'll be hearing this catch-all phrase quite frequently in the near future once 'possibilities' people have spoken out against for years become realities? *cough* Ridley *cough*
Lol Seriously if Ridley becomes Playable it would be like World War 3 already....

Ivysaur/R.O.B/Squirtle/Mewtwo/Fox/Falcon

All had movesets made put of fin air pretty much and some freaky as hell...seriously...the movesets in Smash could be much more Canon like..meaning a moveset can be made for anything thus litreally anything can be playable in Smash - SANDBAG FOR SM4SH !!

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
^He actually is already in Smash4. Remember the drawing on Sakurai's board? :D
(Same goes for Charizard, that's why I doubt that the will replace Gen1 trainer)

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Can't wait 'til E3! ^_^ It's so close!

Especially since what "100 year old gamer" said about the new Mario being bigger, and "unlike anything you've seen before". The anticipation is just killing me.

Top Bottom