• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo banned project M on miiverse.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
The point we're making here is that Nintendo Co. is not attempting to CnD Project M, even with it's references to other Intellectual Properties, as well as it's overwhelming popularity as a retail console game modification. This is great, but it also commands a deal of respect for said properties in order to make sure that P:M is not shut down. If Nintendo is feeling as though the sales of the new Smash Bros is even ever so altered in connection to Project M's existence, they will not simply eliminate a few Miiverse posters. Project M will be labeled as a threat to their Intellectual Property and shut down before you can get off a triple multishine.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure R4 is pulled wherever it's being sold. It's not as easy to pick up a R4 chip unless your willing to really look for something out of the way.

Editz again: Maybe it's only illegal for sale within the UK, can anyone disconfirm/confirm?

Last edited:

Gamecube Kid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperSonicX2014
3DS FC
3325-3644-1635
The point we're making here is that Nintendo Co. is not attempting to CnD Project M, even with it's references to other Intellectual Properties, as well as it's overwhelming popularity as a retail console game modification. This is great, but it also commands a deal of respect for said properties in order to make sure that P:M is not shut down. If Nintendo is feeling as though the sales of the new Smash Bros is even ever so altered in connection to Project M's existence, they will not simply eliminate a few Miiverse posters. Project M will be labeled as a threat to their Intellectual Property and shut down before you can get off a triple multishine.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure R4 is pulled wherever it's being sold. It's not as easy to pick up a R4 chip unless your willing to really look for something out of the way.

Editz again: Maybe it's only illegal for sale within the UK, can anyone disconfirm/confirm?
Actually R4 can easily be bought from it's own website.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
And what about r4. Although not approved but still legal. If they want to prevent piracy then they wouldn't allow DStwo or r4 to be legal because they play actual copies of the 3ds games and roms without pay.
The R4 is banned from being sold in the UK and Japan.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
My point is that Nintendo has actively taken legal action against things it sees as a threat. And for what it's worth if they could ban the sale of it in the US they would

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I am curious ro know what you mean by this.
I don't know exactly who was answering Prog's interview but more or less Nintendo said, "We like what PM does but we can't legally support it or even acknowledge it exists."

Something along those lines.

Case in point, you can argue legality all anyone can try with loophole etc. PM can still be shut down by Nintendo if they wanted to and they choose not to.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
My point is that Nintendo has actively taken legal action against things it sees as a threat. And for what it's worth if they could ban the sale of it in the US they would
Bans are all talk, and talk is cheap.
Just because someone says something isn't allowed doesn't mean anything will come of that.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Read this from another thread:

I just did a little reading and discussing the legal implications with the big N and PM and here's what I gathered. There's a US law that basically forces a company to press charges if they find someone tampering with their property. Seems asinine, but the reason is that a company doesn't say "we love what you're doing, press on!" then a year later sues them. a.k.a entrapment. That's why Miiverse posts are deleted and an employee should never go on record and acknowledge PM.
Nintendo staying 'in the dark' is GOOD for us.
Actually, it sounds bad. Basically, it lets Nintendo choose to acknowledge and sue P:M at any time, as long as they can reasonably deny having known about it before then.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Even though this pertains more to my topic about PM's lifespan (still front page if you haven't checked it out), it's probably gonna be ****ed relatively early on because dumbasses on here or Miiverse or wherever decide they need to wave it around in Nintendo's face. Like Sveet said, the current silence shouldn't be taken as a positive note.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
Granted it isn't effective in the long run, but my point is they illegitimized the product.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
It's still a product. I just ordered one a few days ago.

Knockoff products are a thing because those getting knocked off can only vent hot air; they can't do or enforce anything. Same idea here.

To sum up, a ban is like a stupid law that is detrimental to everyone...
No one who knows better is going to really stick to it.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

Actually, it sounds bad. Basically, it lets Nintendo choose to acknowledge and sue P:M at any time, as long as they can reasonably deny having known about it before then.
read my sentence again.

Nintendo staying in the dark is good for us.

Staying.

Continuing to remain in the state of.

Not changing from 'in the dark' to 'sueing'.

Staying.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
And they can't do anything if we don't really listen. The Big N won't fall for the trap of playing whack-a-mole like the MPAA/RIAA/movie and entertainment sectors did and do with pirates.(look where that got them; rock bottom!)

People don't know what they are talking about. Tch.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
No, it's because of all the legal crap they'd have to put up with to even acknowledge PM's existence.
What Aerodrome said. To them it's basically spam. But, to be fair they already put up with that a lot . . .

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
And they can't do anything if we don't really listen. The Big N won't fall for the trap of playing whack-a-mole like the MPAA/RIAA/movie and entertainment sectors did and do with pirates.(look where that got them; rock bottom!)

People don't know what they are talking about. Tch.

Taking down every online vendor who sells DS flash cards is difficult since they can spring up at anytime. Demonetizing PM on Youtube and Twitch would be very easy in comparison.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Taking down every online vendor who sells DS flash cards is difficult since they can spring up at anytime. Demonetizing PM on Youtube and Twitch would be very easy in comparison.
Whack-a-mole.
Look at pirates vs. copyright trolls and corporate interests.

You really think this would be any different, when similar situations always go the way of pointless endeavors by the stupid companies? When reality completely disagrees with what you think will happen?

Come on, man.

AJC468

Smash Rookie
I apologize for pressing this issue any further, but there are some remaining mysteries I would like to have cleared up. Granting that there is a US law forcing a company to press charges if it finds someone tampering with its IP, can someone demystify me as to the legal nature of the relationship between certain PC developers, who actively support mods, and the modding community--specifically as to whether these groups are guilty of breaking this law, or, if not, how they have avoided doing so?

Better still, does anyone have a link to the actual US law in question?

Perhaps this is asking too much, but it would be jolly swell if members of the PMBR would end this sort of questioning once and for all by elaborating on the legal nature of their mod: i.e., by listing and explaining the areas in which it violates US law and specifying whether or not the team is able to take any action to reduce the violation, or if they are entirely at the mercy of Nintendo for PM to continue. I know this seems like a neurotic level of detail to some, but I would sleep better at night knowing the exact nature (or as far as is possible) of the legal standing of Project M before involving myself in it more fully.

(My apologies if some of those posting in this thread are PMBR members. I don't know who is who yet.)

Lastly, I would argue that insofar as Project M deserves to exist, it should tread with utmost respect for Nintendo going forward. I know the PM team realizes this, but certain possibilities still concern me. The choice to add clone characters which extend beyond the playable cast of past games, even if the characters chosen have a non-playable presence in those games, is to me a very risky move. Part of the major draw of a new Smash game is its additional characters. The PM team may be forced to work within the limitations of a cloning engine, as well as having only so many clone character slots available, but these characters are still NEW characters. Thus I would argue that if PM includes them, the competition between PM and Smash4 in Nintendo's eyes just got a bit more real. My preference would be for PM to shy away from new characters, modes, or stages and simply focus on being the most polished, deep, and balanced version of the Brawl/Melee content around. That way it retains its essential distinction without coming into further and further competition with the new Smash and therefore Nintendo. The promise to achieve a final build of the game relatively soon seems also a wise one and should be kept.

Booster

Smash Lord
Holy ****, this thread is still open? Whoever moderates this section sucks at moderating (Not aimed at a specific moderator)

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
Whack-a-mole.
Look at pirates vs. copyright trolls and corporate interests.

You really think this would be any different, when similar situations always go the way of pointless endeavors by the stupid companies? When reality completely disagrees with what you think will happen?

Come on, man.

No it doesn't. Nintendo has and does demonetize YT content involving their work. And since YT has made it so Companies can take down videos themselves it is entirely in their power to destroy Project M's YT presence.

I'm not sure how to Twitch's copyright policies work so I won't comment further there.

Piracy isn't the same thing as streaming and uploading content to be monetized. Where Piracy is decentralized with torrents and other P2P methods monetized videos are fairly centralized on the internet with Twitch TV and YT making it an easy target for corporate regulation through legal coercion.

To be clear I'm not saying the videos wouldn't exist, only that the casual viewer based would be gone, and that's the backbone of monetized content.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
I apologize for pressing this issue any further, but there are some remaining mysteries I would like to have cleared up. Granting that there is a US law forcing a company to press charges if it finds someone tampering with its IP, can someone demystify me as to the legal nature of the relationship between certain PC developers, who actively support mods, and the modding community--specifically as to whether these groups are guilty of breaking this law, or, if not, how they have avoided doing so?

Better still, does anyone have a link to the actual US law in question?

Perhaps this is asking too much, but it would be jolly swell if members of the PMBR would end this sort of questioning once and for all by elaborating on the legal nature of their mod: i.e., by listing and explaining the areas in which it violates US law and specifying whether or not the team is able to take any action to reduce the violation, or if they are entirely at the mercy of Nintendo for PM to continue. I know this seems like a neurotic level of detail to some, but I would sleep better at night knowing the exact nature (or as far as is possible) of the legal standing of Project M before involving myself in it more fully.

(My apologies if some of those posting in this thread are PMBR members. I don't know who is who yet.)

Lastly, I would argue that insofar as Project M deserves to exist, it should tread with utmost respect for Nintendo going forward. I know the PM team realizes this, but certain possibilities still concern me. The choice to add clone characters which extend beyond the playable cast of past games, even if the characters chosen have a non-playable presence in those games, is to me a very risky move. Part of the major draw of a new Smash game is its additional characters. The PM team may be forced to work within the limitations of a cloning engine, as well as having only so many clone character slots available, but these characters are still NEW characters. Thus I would argue that if PM includes them, the competition between PM and Smash4 in Nintendo's eyes just got a bit more real. My preference would be for PM to shy away from new characters, modes, or stages and simply focus on being the most polished, deep, and balanced version of the Brawl/Melee content around. That way it retains its essential distinction without coming into further and further competition with the new Smash and therefore Nintendo. The promise to achieve a final build of the game relatively soon seems also a wise one and should be kept.

Do you know what law that is specifically? As far as I know the closest thing to what your talking about is that if a company wants to keep its copyright then it needs to fight for it. It isn't that they're required to enforce it, but only that if they do not then they run the risk of losing it.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
No it doesn't. Nintendo has and does demonetize YT content involving their work. And since YT has made it so Companies can take down videos themselves it is entirely in their power to destroy Project M's YT presence.

I'm not sure how to Twitch's copyright policies work so I won't comment further there.

Piracy isn't the same thing as streaming and uploading content to be monetized. Where Piracy is decentralized with torrents and other P2P methods monetized videos are fairly centralized on the internet with Twitch TV and YT making it an easy target for corporate regulation through legal coercion.

To be clear I'm not saying the videos wouldn't exist, only that the casual viewer based would be gone, and that's the backbone of monetized content.
The effect is little different in practice. And not being able to do things on YT isn't a major loss.

Besides, you think non-tryhards pay for everything?

Lol come on.

AJC468

Smash Rookie
TylerX5,

I was referencing Narpas_sword's post from the first page where he is quoting another poster (GFooChombey) who says,

I just did a little reading and discussing the legal implications with the big N and PM and here's what I gathered. There's a US law that basically forces a company to press charges if they find someone tampering with their property. Seems asinine, but the reason is that a company doesn't say "we love what you're doing, press on!" then a year later sues them. a.k.a entrapment. That's why Miiverse posts are deleted and an employee shouldnever go on record and acknowledge PM.
Which I see now that I likely misread. Instead of my initial sloppy reading, he seems to be saying Nintendo has a choice: Acknowledge PM favorably and thus lose its right to prosecute PM later should it want to, or keep quiet about PM and leave the door open for prosecution if it can successfully show that it did not know of PM's existence. Finally, he reasons that this scenario basically forces a company to press charges against those who tamper with its IP in order to retain rights over said IP, the logic of which is what threw me initially because Nintendo isn't doing this and doesn't HAVE to; it can and does opt instead to stay in the dark and save its prosecuting rights later if need be. I THINK this is the correct reading now, someone correct me if I am wrong. I really did think at first that there was some sort of law that actually required a company to take action against violators of its IP, which was confusing! Reading comprehension. Sigh. My mistake!

Top Bottom